Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The eighth home installment of the Mario Kart series (obviously), Mario Kart 8 brings anti-gravity and anti-blue shell items with it to make what looks to be a fun new installment of the franchise.

What's new?
-Play as the Koopa Kids! Play as Baby Rosalina! Play as characters of importance between those!
-Online tournaments with the ability to schedule times and set custom rules
-Play against ghosts of the best players worldwide
-Upload races to YouTube, if you're a total narcissist.

Like a lot of people, I don't own a Wii U.
There's a special bundle that combines Mario Kart 8, a Wii U Deluxe Console, an additional Mario-themed Wiimote, and a Mario-themed Wii Wheel.

FREE GODDAMN GAME
For buying Mario Kart 8 and registering it with Club Nintendo, you can get a free selected Wii U game download. The selection depends on your region.

Mario Kart 8 is released later this month worldwide. Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbuJZP0_8iQ

JordanKai posted:

:siren:GOON LIST:siren:

So, seeing as we're all going to want to play with each other on launch we're all going to need one another's Nintendo Network IDs. In order to keep the thread from getting cluttered, I decided to make a Google form for it. Here it is! If you guys think I should add anything else to the form feel free to say so!

Here's the spreadsheet with all the sign-ups. Let's see if we can get a 64-man goonvitional tournament going on Day 1! :rice:

DoctorWhat posted:

IT'S UP. FULL-TIME, 24/7 150 CC. PRIVATE.

"Goonvitational Karts"

Code is REDACTED. See thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638782

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Two speeds.

Fast.

Way Too Fast.

Time to Mario Kart.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Anti gravity boosts are going to cause some hilarious crashes online.

Timall
Dec 20, 2008
I definitely think we should organise some goon tournaments for weekends. Maybe some at different times to account for time zones. I had a blast playing MK7 with goons and this game looks amazing.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I'm so mad about all these baby characters.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
I'm so mad about all these metal characters.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I'm so mad about all these characters. Back in my day we got 8 characters and dammit we liked it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm so mad about having to wait another 23 days.

But I approve of this thread.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
Footage of all 32 tracks (if you want to go into this with zero spoilers, don't click): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPmPBeRNq-g

This game is gorgeous.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I've been playing a little MKWii online since it's being shut down this month, pretty good timing for MK8.
Looking forward to playing you guys :)

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Willias posted:

Footage of all 32 tracks (if you want to go into this with zero spoilers, don't click): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPmPBeRNq-g

This game is gorgeous.

I've been scouring around for some player-perspective footage rather than Mario Kart TV highlight reels to see if the game's beauty stands out quite as obviously when looked at with a less cinematic lens (I mean I knew it was gonna be beautiful on all fronts but some of the shots in Nintendo's highlighted footage of the stages took me aback with their fidelity). And yeah, this game is pretty loving gorgeous.

Check these out if you're not the sort who's been avoiding footage in general. I'm not even going out of my way to pick particular examples that popped. Every track popped.

Tick-Tock Clock 3DS

Dolphin Shoals

Cloudtop Cruise

Mount Wario

Rainbow Road 64

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That's a good looking game, if I ever saw one. Free download game deal is also pretty sweet.

symptom
Oct 19, 2011

Willias posted:

This game is gorgeous.

I think I noticed in the desert levels that the tires get sandy during the race, but when they go into the water the tires get clean. The level of detail is ridiculous.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Holy poo poo that Nintendo Direct is insane. Also does a good job of selling the game. I played this at SXSW and honestly it really was just more Mario Kart the antigravity was cool I guess. I mean if you weren't down for mario kart before like Mario Kart 7 then probably don't buy this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Do we know the ratio of 3-lap tracks to those segmented ones? I really dislike the non lapped tracks from MK7 and I'm hoping there aren't too many of them in 8.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Truth be told, I did not play MK7 (Though I played almost all the other ones), and I am worried that Sonic Racing Transformed would spoil me on this game.

That said, free Wind Waker HD is an amazing deal.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

jivjov posted:

Do we know the ratio of 3-lap tracks to those segmented ones? I really dislike the non lapped tracks from MK7 and I'm hoping there aren't too many of them in 8.

I think only 2 are non lapped. Mount Wario and N64 Rainbow Road.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

jivjov posted:

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's just two: Wario Mountain and Rainbow Road 64

e:fb

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Truth be told, I did not play MK7 (Though I played almost all the other ones), and I am worried that Sonic Racing Transformed would spoil me on this game.

I'm not a huge Mario Kart fan (the last one I played was DS), but I see people praising this game a lot, and I don't quite get it. I played it a bunch, and I didn't think it was anything special - the tracks were far too long, the campaign progression was slow as gently caress, and I thought all the power-ups were complete boring garbage. It had some cool visual design, but nothing about the way that game played stood out to me.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 8, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not a huge Mario Kart fan (the last one I played was DS), but I see people praising this game a lot, and I don't quite see it. I played it a bunch, and I didn't think it was anything special - the tracks were far too long, the campaign progression was slow as gently caress, and I thought all the power-ups were complete boring garbage. It had some cool visual design, but nothing about the way that game played stood out to me.

To each his own. I thought it was one of the best racers I played.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 8, 2014

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not a huge Mario Kart fan (the last one I played was DS), but I see people praising this game a lot, and I don't quite see it. I played it a bunch, and I didn't think it was anything special - the tracks were far too long, the campaign progression was slow as gently caress, and I thought all the power-ups were complete boring garbage. It had some cool visual design, but nothing about the way that game played stood out to me.

When you see Sonic on the cover of a game your expectations are so low that anything short of him and his furry pals coming out of the TV and making GBS threads in your mouth is considered a pretty average experience. So when Sonic is in a game that's a pretty drat fun (even if very forgettable) Mario Kart clone, it's hard not to feel excited by it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The power-ups were what I loved about the Sonic racer. The bee thing was loving amazing - it harried the person in first a little without just loving them over like the Blue Shell does, and it affects everyone in the front of the pack, not just the dude in the lead. It could feasibly lead to the person in last place coming in from behind, as opposed to the person in last place arbitrarily letting the person in second win.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I kinda dug the bees, but I 'unno, they felt way too easy to dodge. Whenever they came up I just didn't feel all that threatened.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I like the remix on the N64 Rainbow Road course. That goddamn song will never leave my head.

"I'll miss you again...uncle..."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The tiling on that course is almost straight from the SNES, which I appreciate. Want the old music back, though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The one problem I had with MK7 was that the new courses felt really uninspired. This doesn't seem to be the case with MK8 the courses look great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

The one problem I had with MK7 was that the new courses felt really uninspired. This doesn't seem to be the case with MK8 the courses look great.
Music Park was pretty cool.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I hated Mario Kart Wii and found playing 7 on the 3DS to be hand-cramp inducing, so I haven't spent much time with a Mario Kart since DS and I'm pretty stoked about this new one. I played the poo poo out of both Sonic Racing games though, Transformed in particular was fantastic but I'm hoping MK8 can out-do it.

It also made me wish Mario Kart was Nintendo Kart instead. Mario & Nintendo All-Stars Kart. Have the roster still Mario focused, but just let me play as Captain Falcon so I can pretend F-Zero still exists.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Endorph posted:

Music Park was pretty cool.

Yeah I think that was the only one that wasn't all that bad. But you had stuff like Rock Rock mountain, Maka Wuhu, Wuhu Loop, Neo Bowser City, Shy Guy Bazaar and Piranha Plant Side that just felt like they could have been in any other kart racing game as a filler course.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shy Guy Bazaar wasn't really 'mario' but I thought it had a neat aesthetic. Reminded me of the Arabian-themed levels from Crash Bandicoot: Warped.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I havent seens a single video for the game, then someone linked me to the unbelievably amazing soundtrack , I'm super looking forward to playing this game at some point.

Goddamn, what amazing music.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I haven't played a MK since DS so I'm pretty pumped for this.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Any news of Diddy and Funky (Or Dixie) Kong returning?
Really not fond of the stupid baby characters or metal characters to be honest.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Andrew_1985 posted:

Any news of Diddy and Funky (Or Dixie) Kong returning?
Really not fond of the stupid baby characters or metal characters to be honest.

There's going to be DLC at some point probably.

I'm still waiting for Link and Zelda to be racing guys.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I am racing as Waluigi permanently.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Your Friend posted:

I am racing as Waluigi permanently.

You're going to lose a shitload of races then online. They made him the worst possible character choice(again).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'd rather lose as Waluigi than win as a scrub. :colbert:

...until i'm embarrassed by my score and pick whichever random character got the good stats.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm glad they're not packing the game with a Wii-Wheel this time jus to jack up the price. The Wii Wheel was stupid, and it really gimped you if you were using a bike instead of a GCN/CCP controller.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The Taint Reaper posted:

You're going to lose a shitload of races then online. They made him the worst possible character choice(again).

I will adapt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm glad they're not packing the game with a Wii-Wheel this time jus to jack up the price. The Wii Wheel was stupid, and it really gimped you if you were using a bike instead of a GCN/CCP controller.

That's down to given retailers. Here in the UK, GAME has 'em with their copies of the game.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/mario-kart-8-with-super-mario-kart-racing-wheel-206873?pageSize=20&categoryIdentifier=683236&catGroupId=

Of course, the price is standard anyway, so you're not likely paying more for the wheel.

• Locked thread