Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I'd buy a Kong-themed DLC pack with some Kongo Bongo tracks and Diddy & Funky as racers in a heartbeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This is the first Mario Kart with an Anti-Blue Shell item right?

E: Yep, and what a welcome addition. GOTY

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Technically in some of the other games you could avoid the blue shell by using a mushroom (or otherwise boosting) right before it hit you to outrun the explosion. It required super precise timing so it wasn't very practical, but it was awesome as hell :black101:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Is anyone buying a Wii U for this game?

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I'd buy a Kong-themed DLC pack with some Kongo Bongo tracks and Diddy & Funky as racers in a heartbeat

Except Kongo Bongo was from the DKC cartoon series.

What I mean to say is, that DLC would be rad as all hell.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Holy moly, that sky track looks amazing. At first it was like "oh eh, just some clouds and bowser air fleet, seen that before". And then the cannon shoots you into a spiral and you end up inside a storm cloud and it's pouring and there's lightning. Then you get out of the cloud and the giant beanstalk that's been in all the trailers is actually coming out of a giant "?" block! That's so cool!

edit: Oh wow is Mount Wario all one big long downhill track? So each lap is different?

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 8, 2014

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shall we compile a group of people's Wii U username? That way we can have a solid group of goons to play with on day one.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Macaluso posted:

Holy moly, that sky track looks amazing. At first it was like "oh eh, just some clouds and bowser air fleet, seen that before". And then the cannon shoots you into a spiral and you end up inside a storm cloud and it's pouring and there's lightning. Then you get out of the cloud and the giant beanstalk that's been in all the trailers is actually coming out of a giant "?" block! That's so cool!

edit: Oh wow is Mount Wario all one big long downhill track? So each lap is different?

Yep. Starting from a cargo plane, you go aaaaall the way down to the finish line - your character even gets to actually stop and turn once the race is done. Rather than driving on till you hit next track.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

The_Frag_Man posted:

Not just this game, but the trailer a few weeks back finally pushed me over the edge.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Champeenship posted:

Except Kongo Bongo was from the DKC cartoon series.

What I mean to say is, that DLC would be rad as all hell.

Metal Bluster Kong in MK8 :colbert:

Also, OP, you should also mention that Europe gets two more MK8 bundles, one with the Blue Shell and the other which is a Luigi-version of the Mario-themed Wii U-bundle.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

The power-ups were what I loved about the Sonic racer. The bee thing was loving amazing - it harried the person in first a little without just loving them over like the Blue Shell does, and it affects everyone in the front of the pack, not just the dude in the lead. It could feasibly lead to the person in last place coming in from behind, as opposed to the person in last place arbitrarily letting the person in second win.
Wait, the bees were an item? I thought they were a end of the lap obstacle to try and halfassedly hamper first place.

I honestly sort of hate Transformed. I'm probably too taken in by Mario Kart to the point that it clouds my judgement, but the vagueness of the items, the way that the handling felt more like you were controlling the character control the kart then you were the kart itself, and how everytime I got to play a new course meant bumbling around for the first playthrough, because with the courses changing so dramatically, there were times i'd have no idea where I was supposed to go, I was really soured on the game itself.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Frag_Man posted:

I bought mine a couple months ago specifically because I knew this was coming. I was curious about other games but with no MK8 I wouldn't have had much interest. MKWii is among my favorite games ever.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

It could feasibly lead to the person in last place coming in from behind

Not really. They should have been more aggressive with that powerup.

I feel like no battle racers out there seem to really get that balance between annoying rubberbanding and actually keeping first place engaged with the rest of the pack. Too many times i felt like first place was just playing a single player game by the time we hit the second lap. I remember when playing the blur beta, it was a bit better - you knew the powerups coming up, and you all could choose to use the bee / blue shell equivalent (which was more challenging and stacked up well with multiple people using it). And all the other weapons were designed with offensive and defensive uses!

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 8, 2014

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Sonic Transformed's enormous campaign mode with full co-op is something I really wish the Mario Kart series would duplicate. I don't like that Mario Kart separates the modes that let you unlock things from the modes where you can play with other people.

Still getting this game though because of the 2-for-1 deal. I've been meaning to pick up Pikmin 3 since I got a Wii U.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Yes. I don't have one now and will probably ice out the bundle as soon as it is available. MK wii was like the only thing I ever played seriously on my wii.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Aw yeah, Amazon Germany is getting this beauty as an exclusive.

Lucky for me, that includes Amazon Austria. :smug:

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Sonic Transformed's enormous campaign mode with full co-op is something I really wish the Mario Kart series would duplicate. I don't like that Mario Kart separates the modes that let you unlock things from the modes where you can play with other people.

Still getting this game though because of the 2-for-1 deal. I've been meaning to pick up Pikmin 3 since I got a Wii U.

Grand Prix allows 4-players this time, I'm not sure if multiplayer Grand Prix unlocks stuff, though it probably does. No idea if characters stay unlocked across all profiles on the system, though.

horriblePencilist posted:

Aw yeah, Amazon Germany is getting this beauty as an exclusive.

Lucky for me, that includes Amazon Austria. :smug:

Wow, that's nice. I'm still annoyed that NoA went through the trouble of giving Mario Kart 8's US release a red case but not bothering to make the blue Wii U banner at the top red to match, like New Super Luigi U does with its green case and Japanese mature titles do with their black cases. I'm gonna have to do some photoshop when a good clean scan of the entire US cover art shows up online.

Truxton fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 8, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
There'll be a limited edition featuring a Blue Shell-figure exclusively at Nintendo World!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just don't put it next to your airhorn.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Here's what the phone app is going to look like:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So as someone who has played Mario Kart 64 a lot, and the other Mario Karts not that much (I had the DS one for a while when it first came out and that's it) and stuck with Toad/Peach/Yoshi, what are the advantages to going with like Bowser or Wario? As characters I love them, but they just felt slow and sluggish and never really used them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The heavier characters have slower acceleration but higher top speed. In the newer games anyway, 64 was kinda weird. Mario and Luigi actually had the slowest acceleration in that game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I used to wreck poo poo with Bowser in Double Dash. You have to be more careful planning out your turns because if you crash into a wall or something it'll take you a while to get back up to speed but if you're playing well you can completely outpace everyone.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I've had my Wii U turned off for months now...bought it at launch :negative:

Now there will finally be a reason the actually hook the thing up. So far this looks fairly awesome.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Taint Reaper posted:

You're going to lose a shitload of races then online. They made him the worst possible character choice(again).

Explain this bullshit.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Macaluso posted:

So as someone who has played Mario Kart 64 a lot, and the other Mario Karts not that much (I had the DS one for a while when it first came out and that's it) and stuck with Toad/Peach/Yoshi, what are the advantages to going with like Bowser or Wario? As characters I love them, but they just felt slow and sluggish and never really used them.

This post just brought to mind an old memory that's relevant to Mario Kart 64. I can remember entering a Nintendo Power contest where you had to try to set the best time with Yoshi on one of the tracks. Man, I must've raced that thing 400 times and even though I thought I had a really great time, it was way slower than the winning times.

Come to think of it, I probably haven't played a Mario Kart game extensively since 64. I definitely played Double Dash a bunch of times with other people, but not nearly as much as I've played 64. Really looking forward to the new game. Waluigi better not be as lovely as everyone is saying. He's got that spindly racer's body, he should be pro tier.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Wow the soundtrack for this game is really fantastic.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

The Crotch posted:

Explain this bullshit.

About character stats:

Link in case some people don't want to know for whatever reason.

Basically, there are 7 weight classes. Grip, Handling and Acceleration are highest for lighter characters and Speed and Weight for Heavier characters. No idea if this makes Waluigi (along with Rosalina, Roy and Donkey Kong) horrible. They at least seem better then the Metal Racers (Weight gain with loss of acceleration and grip compared to the Waluigi Class). They were calculated based off of Kart stats people were posting for Standard Kart/Wheels/Glider.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 9, 2014

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I dunno, a lot of the new tracks seem to miss the point of anti-gravity stuff. The advantages it brings are in stuff like, you know, driving in a cave amongst stalactites and avoiding holes in the ceiling, or driving on the buildings to the side of a busy downtown avenue, or driving along a crazily angled pipe or something. But here it's usually just random ribbons of racetrack stuck everywhere for no real reason, or an otherwise regular set of terrain bent at a 90 degree angle. The result is that most of them don't have much of a feeling of spatial awareness and like, progressing through a distinct area, and more like an F-Zero track where the setting is more of a skybox than an environment that has influence on the features of the track itself.

Toad Harbor, Shy Guy Falls, Dolphin Shoals, and Mount Wario avoid that kind of thing because the anti-gravity sections make sense to be anti-gravity and use them to do interesting things, and Toad's Turnpike applies that well to the retro tracks, but all the rest sorta fall flat in my opinion. The new Rainbow Road in particular, the space station angle is kinda neat? But more definitely should have been done with it, and it looks unambitious and easy compared the the previous long and challenging ones in 7 and Wii.

...also why Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina and not...i dunno, Dry Bowser and Dry Bones?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

Yep, bought it first week of April.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Timall posted:

I definitely think we should organise some goon tournaments for weekends. Maybe some at different times to account for time zones. I had a blast playing MK7 with goons and this game looks amazing.

Rule 1) No one can play as Waluigi, since everyone wants to play as Waluigi
Rule 2) One goon per character
Rule 3) 100cc
Rule 4) Defending champion chooses courses

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CaptainYesterday posted:

Rule 1) No one can play as Waluigi, since everyone wants to play as Waluigi
Rule 2) One goon per character
Rule 3) 100cc
Rule 4) Defending champion chooses courses

100cc? Hahaha.

No using blue shells, either?

Also, why would anyone want to play as Waluigi?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

pichupal posted:

About character stats:

Link in case some people don't want to know for whatever reason.

Basically, there are 7 weight classes. Grip, Handling and Acceleration are highest for lighter characters and Speed and Weight for Heavier characters. No idea if this makes Waluigi (along with Rosalina, Roy and Donkey Kong) horrible. They at least seem better then the Metal Racers (Weight gain with loss of acceleration and grip compared to the Waluigi Class). They were calculated based off of Kart stats people were posting for Standard Kart/Wheels/Glider.

Glad it's been explored this much. Happy to stay with Waluigi.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

FINALLY, a reason to get a WiiU. can't wait for this

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Does this support any co op campaign? Also private second screen player two? As if any response will stop me from getting this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Junkie Disease posted:

Does this support any co op campaign? Also private second screen player two? As if any response will stop me from getting this.

You can play the grand prix with four people and online with two. No private second screen player two.

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

FINALLY, a reason to get a WiiU. can't wait for this

If anyone is going to pick up a Wii U for this, there's a really good deal on refurbished 32GB Deluxes w/ Nintendo Land for $200 on Nintendo's store.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

SeANMcBAY posted:

If anyone is going to pick up a Wii U for this, there's a really good deal on refurbished 32GB Deluxes w/ Nintendo Land for $200 on Nintendo's store.
There's also going to be a Mario Kart 8 bundle. I guess $200 is very cheap, though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can play the grand prix with four people and online with two. No private second screen player two.

well shiiit. At least the 2 player doesn't turn the world into pea soup.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

SeANMcBAY posted:

Here's what the phone app is going to look like:

So this app is pretty much "We want to do this with Smash Bros but we're new at it so we're testing it out on the one other game we make that people play online," right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

A new game mode has been added to the Custom Track mod for MKWii:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N732P9bQaq8
I figured it was worth sharing, it basically combines battle mode with racing.
This guy's also looking into creating replica servers to keep MKWii and custom tracks online

• Locked thread