Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Seeing this game reminds me of Binary Domain without any of the parts that made Binary Domain fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Glad to hear you're uploading the uncut stream. I missed the stream because of work, so it'll be a treat to watch whenever it's up!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
While we wait for rendering to render, your need for more MindJack can be sated with the following video (non-canonical):

"Mindjack Angry Review (Worst Game Ever?)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4u4uezIPM

Watchin' this video now. "Angry" is an understatement for this guy!

Oh, dang. He gave it the Epic Fail rating.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 13, 2014

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Oddly enough the Joe part is an overstatement. But he probably had a tvtropes page before you guys and that's the important thing.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I made it 48 seconds in. What prize do i get?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The mildly perturbed trophy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Anthony is going to take a diarrhea dump all over you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like Angry Joe. He's got a kind of shoot-from-the-hip earnestness about him that leaves me feeling that this man doesn't have a dishonest bone in his body.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

I like Angry Joe. He's got a kind of shoot-from-the-hip earnestness about him that leaves me feeling that this man doesn't have a dishonest bone in his body.

He has boneitis. Please don't be rude.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Speedball posted:

I once said the same about Jeffrey Dahmer.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Speedball posted:

I once said the same about Jeffrey Dunham.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You loving monster, there are things we don't joke about in civilized society

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

judge reinhold posted:

I once said the same about Jeffrey Dunham.

Me too but then I realized I was actually talking to a racist puppet and as we all know puppets don't have bones.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

judge reinhold posted:

While we wait for rendering to render, your need for more MindJack can be sated with the following video (non-canonical):

Oh. God, the related videos has Ride to Hell Angry Review- WORST GAME EVER? (Featuring the worst exit from a green screen area ever, where you can seriously still see his friend on the screen trying so hard not to be in frame.)

Judge is trying to get us all to rewatch his LPs and rake in the mad LP cash.

Brassherald fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 14, 2014

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

judge reinhold posted:

I don't know why he's so upset about the game, he talks and sounds almost exactly like the main character, I'd figure he'd at least have an emotional connection there.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

judge reinhold posted:

Unfortunately, this does nothing to address my need for more MenDrinkinCoffee.

Sure you aren't stalling for time because your local recording/encoding got messed up and the MDC have to re-record the final segment?

Fake Edit: n/m, just saw your Twitter update

dbcooper fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 15, 2014

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

hahaha that twitter background

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mr. Lobe posted:

Needs Chester Cheetah.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

Whose tattoo is it?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Ladies and "jack"lemen... I bring to you... the last updates!

First, take a gander at our wonderful pre-show: "My Riding Stables 2: Life with Horses"! We depart the science fiction realm and enter equestrian fiction. A mysterious grandpa has died and left his irresponsible eight year old grandson (us) his horse compound, along with a lovable horse named TOEMATEO. Can the Men Drinkin Coffee flip that horse and house and get a good ROI, or will the estate tax put an end to it before we even get started? Watch and find out!

And... finally... Jim has entered the NERKAS facility for what seems like the fourth time. He's companionless, no Rebecca, no good friend Lyle. What perils lie ahead for Jim in the final chapter of his quest to uncover... uhh... was he trying to uncover something? Listen, just watch the video. And, boy, do you have options!

The full stream is available as "Full", but if you prefer editing, watch the 50%-less Diet version (seriously I edited out an entire hour) by watching "part 1" and "part 2". Sorry the live-stream was "not so good", I'll be more conservative and dad-like in the future.

Hope you had as much fun as we did. I'd like to thank my two bestest buddies in the dystopian future-world: Diaper "Rebecca" Chris and No Internet Name "Lyle" Anthony! If you'd like to follow more of our misadventures, feel free to follow us on Twitter (https://www.twitter.com/mendrinkcoffee).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
When I saw those blue and red screens in Gardner's office I was hoping shooting them would affect blue/red mindjackers or something, but I guess I should have known that's too much for this game.

ninja e: Oh, and of course great LP, can't wait for your next one. :)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can I post the secrets of the universe now?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

Can I post the secrets of the universe now?

Go right ahead. I appreciate your discretion.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://nerkascorp.com/

Under Employee Login, type in the code "HM-987" to gain access to the account of "Mark Koda", technology director for Nerkas Solutions, Inc.. With his higher Access Control Lists (ACLs), you can view all sorts of highly classified data about Military Tech R&D, MindJack™ Technology, and top secret data from the FIA shared under their G.H.O.S.T. program.

Reminder that if anybody sees Anti-Tech Terrorist "Ivan Sarkenow (MIA)", please alert your local desk operative at ext. 2553 for further instruction.

Happy hacking!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Ah, finally!

quote:

Federal Intelligence Agency (FIA) represents both a grave threat and a unique opportunity.

We learn what FIA stands for! All we had to do was check if NERKAS existed on the web as a cute little world-building thing if we were severely bored, look at the HTML or whatever to get the login code, and click around a few backstory pages to find this information about a major acronym central to the game's plot!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And so the game ends. And the sordid truth comes out: you know all that cool stuff you see in the trailer? This game is a prequel to that. Nobody knows about Mindjacking (yes mindjacking, the game's dialogue completely mixed up the words) and the major problem here is that those Mindwave headsets cause brain cancer.

So who are the Red Wanderer's and the Blue Wanderers in the trailer? Well, I think the Blue guys are FIA agents, trying to protect the civilian populace (by admittedly using similar methods the bad guys are using). So who are the Red Wanderers? Well, they can't be NERKAS because they basically show everything wrong with Plan 4. So my fanwank explanation is that they are a third-party who are trying to cleanse society of excess. Admittedly I'm extrapolating this from a loading screen message for the red team, but still. Lyle may or may not be the leader of this group, but his motivations are never explained so who the gently caress knows.

If you include the Wanderers in the game as canon, then I think what's happening is that you're in a FIA training simulator. They uploaded Jim's experiences letting new agents take control and practice using their Mindjacking powers. The Red Team are probably the third group trying to break in and kill the FIA guys. And this is a sci-fi simulator so safeguards are for pussies.

And I have no idea what to make of Gardner. The game tries to portray him as a sympathetic villain, but every time you meet him he seems to be in support of spreading Mindjacking across the world. And the Gardner Prototype (which is probably the most interesting thing the game has put out) is pretty obviously the body he would use for his regulation of the populace. I guess Lyle put an end to that, trapped him in the computer (somehow) and forced him to become a Wanderer. And that caused a change of heart in him, which is why he helps Jim out. Or something.

I really like this game's world-building but it's an uphill battle actually trying to understand it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oh, the Spacemans are actually meant to be Spacemans.

Also MindJim's profile:

quote:

and is additionally trained in three hand-to-hand combat disciplines.
Anyone got a gif of his goofy kicking?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

SSNeoman posted:

And I have no idea what to make of Gardner. The game tries to portray him as a sympathetic villain, but every time you meet him he seems to be in support of spreading Mindjacking across the world. And the Gardner Prototype (which is probably the most interesting thing the game has put out) is pretty obviously the body he would use for his regulation of the populace. I guess Lyle put an end to that, trapped him in the computer (somehow) and forced him to become a Wanderer. And that caused a change of heart in him, which is why he helps Jim out. Or something.

The cutscene where Gardner echoes the cautionary words of Oppenheimer betrays the fact that, apparently, he and Lyle were both on the same page. Also, why is Lyle in league with the top of NERKAS if he's just some dingus in the FIA? What was going on throughout the game where MindJim kept getting migraines? Was that Gardner inhabiting him? If so, why did it really not make any difference or impact Jim's goals? What was the significance of Rebecca resembling Jim's dead wife?

Say what you will about the gameplay, MindJack has given me food for thought.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I liked this game because the cutscenes made me think it was a long lost SEGA arcade rail shooter.

No Internet Name
Aug 13, 2012

judge reinhold posted:

Say what you will about the gameplay, MindJack has given me food for thought.

MindFood.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Suffer like Lyle did.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

judge reinhold posted:

Suffer like Lyle did.

do you think that he Mindjacked out of his body before he hit the ground and turned into a Wanderer?

If so what happens to him, can he mind jack anyone but just doesn't have a normal body?

What color is his Wanderer now?

I need Men Drinkin' Coffee, as the world's greatest Mindjack Experts, to inform me of this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm seriously convinced this game was scripted by aliens or something. I mean in the 2nd video there's a cutscene that just repeats the same conversation that the 'villain' had already had with the main characters 30 minutes prior.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The whole thing was computer generated in an advanced attempt to pass the Turing test.

It failed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just noticed in the credits two names of companies that worked on this: The Mustard Corporation, and Avocado Inc.

The hell?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Now I want to punch out all of MSC for making us sit through MindJack when we could have had horsies!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

This game is like Lost. Except it wasn't even good in the beginning and I don't really care about the answers to any of the questions.

Great LP as usual. Hope we see the next one start soon!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's rare that I watch an LP with absolutely no gaddman clue what the gently caress is going on in the story but this... Was a truly unique experience. It's like a simulation into early on-set Alzheiers/dementia

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
This game was boring and the fact that it was shot entirely through a blue filter made it really obnoxious.

I'm glad the Men Drinking Coffee brought their commentary, 'cause otherwise this game literally is nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I honestly think that MindJack is worse than Ride to Hell.

• Locked thread