Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I'll take COLORADO

DH is AL ONLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Yeah I'm a fan of working with RL stadiums. Much less prone to gaming the system. No injuries sounds good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

No budgets. I think it's enough effort without adding that.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

HAL9100 posted:

The Pirates request the following strategic settings:

Sliders to be placed exactly one tick from the the leftmost side:
Use Hit & Run
Use Run & Hit
All 3 Bunts
Intentional Walk
Hook Starting Pitcher

Sliders to be placed at 75%
Stealing Bases/Baserunning
Use Infield Shift
Favor L/R Matchup

All of our pitchers would have a 110 pitch limit in a given game, though that may become cumbersome for you and be fine to leave out.

Is it possible you may want to wait until you actually have players to determine your strategies?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Requested access, that normal?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

With the #1 pick, the Colorado Rockies select Mike The Millville Meteor Trout, CF.

With the most obvious pick of the draft out of the way, the Pittsburgh Pirates are on the clock!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

I have pick #20 and am willing to trade back if anyone wants to move into the first round. it would probably take a 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd, 4th, and 6th

What other pick would you trade? All trades require even # of picks being exchanged.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Did anyone else not have Mike Trout as #1?

Also: Chicago White Sox getting Chris Sale = :3:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Who did you have? You could make an argument for Miggy, I guess, but even in a one year sim Trout is the better player, I think.

No I had Trout, I was just wondering if anyone didn't. I worded my sentence poorly.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I dunno, Trout going 50/50 will be pretty boss too.

What's with the other tabs in the picks spreadsheet, IP? Why are there repeats of each position?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

because a lot of dudes are gonna get drafted. When we're 15 rounds deep you'll appreciate not having to scroll down to see everyone that's off the board.

Gotcha. Any reason to separate OF into 6 rather than 2 each for LF/CF/RF?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Screen Door Slams posted:

New York selects Adrian Beltre, 3B.
And the Yankees' run on aging veterans begins!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I guess that's one way to see it. I'd probably rather have Donaldson than Beltre at this point, but it's a philosophical difference I guess.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Zythrst posted:

Hey Pander its kind of frowned upon to bring up undrafted guys.

edit- BTW now that Yadi's off the board, I was really thinking about getting him at 11, but wasn't sure how good the sim is at recreating the entire Yadi package.

Oh. Wasn't aware that was bad.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Harlock posted:

Depending on how the ratings flesh out, Sale is a top 5-10 starter with random distribution. My last OOTP15 file he was a 10/8/8. With injuries off, he should be great.

I don't care about ratings or if he was a good pick I'm just happy he went to the Sox.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

You can just look at his baseball-reference page. Note that his career slash is something like .298/.350/.500 or so. The power is nice, but he just doesn't take a crazy amount of walks or hit enough dingers for guy hitting at Coors half his games to be super-elite. He's won a couple GGs, but again he's not elite defensively.

He's a great piece to have and if I had him when my pick comes up in the second round I'd jump on him. But for round one you want a slam dunk superstar, not a 'pretty darn good hitter'.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

At this point I'd guess the question for you would be how much OOTP balances career #s vs recent #s vs recent trend.

If it favors recent history and his trend, Gomez is a solid pick. If it doesn't, it's a big reach, even for one of the best defensive CFs.

Good luck :)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

How does "no injuries" affect the ratings of players who have been marginal for significant periods of time due to injuries?

As a jokey example, say Mark Prior?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

If a player is a shell of themselves, and play like it, because of injuries, you will get that shell but he will not be hurt all the time.

If a player is awesome but gets hurt a lot and misses time, but continues being awesome when he's not hurt, you will get that awesome but he will not be hurt all the time.

Cool, thanks.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Extreme groundball pitching rotation might make it worth it?

Probably early, but I'd hesitate calling it terrible.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Have I mentioned how easy it is to forget which thread is which?

Nice pick with Hamels.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

So just to be sure, my pick now right?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I picked! Kinda surprised Kipnis fell to me, figured he'd be taken early.

Perez might be a stretch, but I like his potential and defense.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Popete posted:

Yeah this is what I'm worried about, I'm already seeing picks and thinking "drat I forgot about him". I don't have that good of a grasp on who might be a good sleeper pick.
I like looking at fantasy draft analyses for 2014 and sorting by position. Since those rarely take defense into consideration, a little bit more investigation is required, but generally it helps me remember to make a note of some players at some positions who could provide good value at later spots.

I'd recommend making a googledoc spreadsheet of your team sorta like what the publicly available doc has. Then, as you run through the list, mark down the players you really want, and where you might think they go.

With 30 teams going, this will not be the typical happy fantasy draft. Someone will end up with a literal Nick Punto (or reasonable facsimile) since there simply aren't 30 good players at every position. So just single out what you think might be good values, and don't worry too much because pretty much everyone is, at the end of the day, going to be gnashing their teeth at some position or another.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mks5000 posted:

I think you mean Nick Punto. :colbert:

Maybe he ranks 2B by height.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mks5000 posted:

You're supposed to call undrafted guys Nick Puntos, and not refer to them by name.

:cmon:

:thejoke:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Cart Mountain posted:

It's amazing how bad that one dude is about posting non picks in the picks thread

I KNOW SHUT UP :(

Llame: Why Ellsbury if you don't mind me asking, given how you have Kemp? Kinda intrigued.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

That's fair. A nice lineup. Also potential trade bait for later.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

OKAY I LIKE THAT SMILY :downs:

This is a lot earlier than I expected Abreu to go.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

drafting Kipnis above him was :psyduck:

Kipnis isn't a greybeard.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

I have to sit here and watch 56 Puntos get picked in between my second and third picks! It's excruciating.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum...I can go on vacation after every odd pick.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

THE RED MENACE posted:

Kevin Towers!?!???

No, Kevin Towers would TRADE poorly.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mother Punto Christ.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

As a mascot?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Monicro posted:

Haha I thought maybe Cobb would be obscure enough to fall to my next picks. Good pick.

loving ditto. I had a SLIM, SLIM margin of hope he'd fall to me. I was really really really debating taking him over either Perez or Kipnis.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

OOTP doesn't reward great youtube videos, so

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Screen Door Slams posted:

PECOTA/OOTP likes Avila, and catchers are more valuable than OFs.

S'why I feel happy with Salvy Perez!

I hate feeling like "oh god everyone good is gone already", i've never done a draft with so many teams before.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mornacale posted:

Lucroy is the guy who I was talking about being the best pick of the draft, he's amazing.

Does OOTP care about pitch framing?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I had this insane notion that the last guy picked mighta fallen to me.

Sigh. I must have been on drugs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Carpenter was already selected by St Louis. Try again Washington.

• Locked thread