Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Phillies, please. AL only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

mentholmoose posted:

Even though I don't have a team, you guys should have a budget, because without it, you're basically doing a more complex keeper league draft. I think the budget adds another challenge, which should IMO make it more fun to build a team.

Well, if it does work out that way, you want to be Philly co-GM? I don't know if I have the wherewithal to include contract deets in my judgements.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

tadashi posted:

I can't believe Posey lasted as long as he did. I guess some people have a thing against catchers since they don't play "every day".

Depending on who I get at first, Mssr. Buster may well end up playing somewhere every day.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

On his off days, was the joke.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Sounds like you've got the hang of Be[ing] a GM!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Maniac adherents to the cruel god of Marginal Value.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Not walking is the new market efficiency!!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Projection systems love the gently caress out of Gordon for his defense. I think he's actually the "most valuable" LF in BP 2014. I kinda wish I knew where my copy was now.

I don't know if anyone who's seen a Pence AB can call him a "good hitter," but he is quite productive on offense!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

The joke is that Pence has an extremely silly stance/swing. I'm sure he'll do fine for you.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Yeah, it does. I was a little curious how that would interact with OOTP putting them in a different context.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I offered by PM, Oakland sent me his pick.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Pirates attempting to reconstruct the 2008 WSC.

Is Pat the Bat available? Pedro Feliz?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Man, I thought Owings was young enough to fall another round or so.

You or menthol is up now, seiferguy.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Oh, yeah, I actually left room on top of my rotation for Doc.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

mynameisjohn posted:

i was going to take Roy three rounds ago

Well, yeah, you saw his PECOTA

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Obviously, it depends how much you're valuing the OOTP sim. His 50th percentile PECOTA line is .254/.358/.434.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Harlock posted:

OOTP 13 made Sean O' Sullivan an elite level 2B/SS/OF Ben Zobrist type player who played for 15 years and made the Hall of Fame

It would be much more shocking if he had done so as a pitcher....

Besides, you just can't argue with that .333 BA. Contact skills for days. No patience, though.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I think it'll make the experience of the late rounds much more enjoyable if we admit the possibility of some fun (possibly gamey) picks, rather than diligently selecting fifth outfielders who will never play.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

That's just cruel.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Just auto everyone left in the round on principle.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Wait, why am I being punished because 4 guys ahead of me didn't/couldn't pick?

pour encourager les autres

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

10:06 EST tomorrow morning, good times.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

We know the truth - you're scouting REDACTED

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

OOTP has a "Clone Player" option. You know what to do, Lorax.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Well, I was gonna take Syndergaard and hope Hudson fell to me, so it's all Harlock's fault.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I guess the Barves can leapfrog the Natinals at any time.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Uehara was already taken.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I'm going to be traveling for much of the weekend starting tomorrow, so I suppose it would be easiest to trade up here and pick quickly. If anyone up soon is interested a swap, PM me.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Thanks to the kindness of the Commissioner, the Phillies are trading their

12th, 13th and 20th picks

for Minnesota's

12th, 14th, and 19th.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Maikel Franco just this moment hit a two-run dinger, but yeah, he's of negative value at 1B. This year, anyway.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

We're supposed to be drafting "our ideal 25 man roster." I interpret that to mean a team that can compete for the championship in Year One, but which also has a future. YMMV

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

mks5000 posted:

Miguel Sano being taken at all is hilariously stupid, let alone at like 110 or wherever the hell he was taken.

He's certainly no Gregor Blanco, who will not fail to be Gregor Blanco.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

mks5000 posted:

He's a plus defender in Centerfield who gets on base at an average clip. This late in the draft I'm pretty happy with that pick

Ehh on the CF defense, but the point is that yeah, you are getting an adequate outfielder with a good eye, no power at all, and no chance of anything more than that. If someone wants to roll the dice on a fun lottery ticket, you're not contractually obligated to be lovely about it.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Politicalrancor posted:

I always make sure players haven't been taken by ctrl+F'ing them in the draft sheet and I've never taken an already drafted player

Exactly. However, I imagine phone posters find it more convenient to look over the lengthy list of draftees.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

What are you talking about? He's, like, my seven or eight hitter.

Trevor May, huh? This is the year he finally stops walking everybody.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I'm gobsmacked MAG went here. Is this an OOTP thing? Does this injured guy who's thrown less than ten innings professionally roll really well or something?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Screen Door Slams posted:

It depends a lot on projections, and OOTP tends to like prospects.

I know they use PECOTA, but BP doesn't even project him. Go figure.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Antonio "Mitch Williams" Bastardo? Man, one of the OOTP guys must be a loving optimistic Phillies fan.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Before or after suffering a head injury?

(He's terrifying to watch. You're going to have to trust me on this. Every team has a reliever you're sure is going to gently caress it up.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Note the totes sustainable .182 BABiP in 2011, his best year. (And the weird exclusion of his first two years)

That sounds like "CRACK!" "Eep!" "Phew."

• Locked thread