Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
I'll take the Yankees. League-wide DH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

I, perhaps unsurprisingly given the team I picked, am against the budget.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

In fantasy I could see a Miggy > Trout argument, but in something like this, where speed is a bigger factor than in fantasy, and where defense actually IS a factor, to me Trout is the obvious choice.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Pander posted:

And the Yankees' run on aging veterans begins!

:shrug: There's a run on third basemen, Beltre has elite defense and an underrated bat.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Prozach posted:

Really? I don't want to shill the $40 to get a better picture of how good they are in the simulation, but I don't want to get screwed over every time I pick either just because I'm not familiar with how the system values players.

He has his flaws, but those are mostly tied to his injury history, and if that isn't a problem, then I'm not seeing where we differ so strongly on our evaluation of him. Out of the top 10 in his position seems really low to me.

You don't even need OOTP to know he isn't top-10. Look at his OPS+ and his home/away splits next time you're on baseball-reference. His raw numbers are top-10, but when you account for Coors...

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

I was considering Harper for my pick, but I figured the positional scarcity argument pointed towards Beltre.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Okay I'm here and now I need to figure out who I'm taking because Carpenter was atop my board. gently caress.

e: Picked.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

That actually raises an interesting question because he's not injured but he sure is suspended.

Should I just axe any suspensions as well? I can only think of a couple that would matter, but I should have a ruling on it before it starts influencing a decision.

Ahahahahahaha holy loving poo poo, I just looked him up in OOTP to see how bad they think he'd be:

So maybe it's already wiped out because OOTP is treating it as an injury? :v:

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

There's one Punto I'm absolutely amazed hasn't been picked yet, and god do I hope he keeps slipping.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Screen Door Slams posted:

There's one Punto I'm absolutely amazed hasn't been picked yet, and god do I hope he keeps slipping.

I was talking about Pedroia here.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

One hour warning for Screen Door Slams

Done. Sorry, I was out seeing Godzilla (loving owned) and getting a haircut.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

MassaShowtime posted:

Like Adam Jones should probably be going way the hell before Alex Avila but y'know.

PECOTA/OOTP likes Avila, and catchers are more valuable than OFs.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

Unless you're real old I had them first, sorry. (I'm not sorry)

New York has an hour to pick, by the way. Given Screen Door Slams' history in this thread I expect them to be skipped.

Sorry. I'm in now.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Can you embed .gifs in a google spreadsheet?

...asking for a friend.

Yes, you can.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

I figure since I'm playing in YS3, and I can stick him at 1B rather than ask him to patrol the OF, Trumbo's not a bad pick here.

e: And I think this makes my Yanks the first team to fill up their IF.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Mornacale posted:

Detroit beat you to it by 3 picks, unless you are counting C.

Also, Neil Walker is a good pick, especially in this league since his primary weakness is being injury-prone. In the NLE, I like him better than Ian Kinsler for Washington and he was taken a cool 106 picks later (though I think that says more about Kinsler than Walker).

e: Bonus infielder-drafting factoid, the only division to be full up at an everyday position is ALE second basemen.

Yeah, I was counting catcher.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

I guess turnabout is fair play, mks5000, because I was targeting Gardner. :argh:

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

gently caress, I wish I'd thought of Wlad.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah but I'm worried that I didn't include the NPB when I generated the league :ohdear:

I checked with a league that didn't include NPB - it includes Wlad and Youk as retired players.

vv You're okay, Kensei, Wlad is in the game.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

does this mean I have to unretire them or did they show up in the player pool as FA?

I am terrible and didn't even think this out.

You have to unretire them.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Okay, I think kensei had the steal of the draft with Wlad. I wanted to see what he could do, so I unretired him and ran a season.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

CFBalla posted:

I think this might border on gaming the system, since Wlad never even OPS+ over around 80 during his short, 3 year MLB career where he never played a full season. Still, great pick kensei!

I mean, I dunno. His MLB time came at the ages of 23 and 24 and he was in Japan by the time he hit 26, so it's quite possible he just put it all together and if he came back to MLB he could do it. I dunno.

And yeah, YS3

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

I did a Wlad-in-Arizona run for the heck of it:

e: Baltimore, San Fran, Mets, Tampa, Miami, Minnesota - anyone want to trade their 8th and 11th for my 9th and 10th picks?

Screen Door Slams fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 27, 2014

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

e: Baltimore, San Fran, Mets, Tampa, Miami, Minnesota - anyone want to trade their 8th and 11th for my 9th and 10th picks?

Updated since there were picks. Still open to talk.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

Before people start getting clever after kensei's gambit: if a player has never played in the MLB I cannot "unretire" them and add them to the player pool. I'm also not going to unretire anyone who actually retired.

gently caress, I was legitimately planning on drafting Roy Halladay and Chris Carpenter.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

I was going back and forth between Springer and Moss for my pick and that was why I wanted to get another 8th rounder, so I could get both.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

tadashi posted:

Moss was the player I really wanted this round. I was going to just stick him in the outfield. I'm so sad.

I'm sorry I made you sad, but... Moss is a lefty, he has great power, and I play in YS3.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

I'm pretty happy with the position players I have, but... I don't know what kind of pitching staff I'll be able to put together.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Laderhan posted:

Als,o I seriously can't believe some of you haven't drafted pitchers yet. I mean I know you play in Yankee Stadium or whatever, but jeez.

I have a cunning* plan**.

*May not be cunning

**May not be a plan

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

And that's my offense completed.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Like I said earlier:

I have a cunning* plan**.

*May not be cunning

**May not be a plan

Also, I'm kinda surprised Aoki dropped this far - not much power, but a pretty good hit tool and good defense.

Screen Door Slams fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 31, 2014

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Mornacale posted:

Really dislike the Aoki pick for you positionally. Marte is a natural CF with an outstanding arm; he shouldn't be in LF even in Pittsburgh, and NYS doesn't have the North Side Notch. I'm not convinced that Marte/Polanco/Aoki is a better OF than Moss/Marte/Polanco, and I suspect that there are still all-bat-no-glove guys out there to fill in your DH.

I'm "cheating" a little bit in that I have OOTP and can peek at the various ratings. Marte is at 90/80 (yes you read that right) for LF and 65/80 at CF. Polanco is 75/80 at RF and 70/80 at CF. Aoki is 60/80 at RF, and Moss is 50/80.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Prozach posted:

Alex Avila in Round 3 was weird. Dunno what the best value pick was.

OOTP loves Avila and I'm prioritizing good defense.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

And there's my first pitcher. :woop:

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

I hate you, CFBalla.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Pander posted:

Ugh. I didn't realize my turn was up now. Was thinking of trading these plus my 25th for anyone's next three, but fuckit. I'll just make some possibly horrible picks.

I deeply despise you for your picks.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Pander posted:

Really? I feel like they were reaches. I just picked out a couple guys on my worst fantasy team's roster that hadn't been picked yet.

They were both really high on my list of pitchers I want for my team.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

I am both sorry and utterly not sorry about the gif I used for my last pick.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Mornacale posted:

Tim Hudson was taken with pick 176.

Aw godDAMMIT. Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

I was really hoping to nostalgia-pick Jeets after I'm done grabbing my rotation, dang.

• Locked thread