Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've been a shark fan since I was a kid, and this is the coolest goddamn shark picture I've ever seen.
Jesus christ that thing has been through some serious poo poo.

JoelJoel posted:

Interesting. What am I seeing?
I'm basically just guessing here, but I think a coal deposit or whatever has caught fire and they're basically trying to put it out by just digging away the burning stuff. So yeah, fire mining.
If someone knows better, feel free to correct me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Nordick posted:

I've been a shark fan since I was a kid, and this is the coolest goddamn shark picture I've ever seen.
Jesus christ that thing has been through some serious poo poo.

I think the best part of that picture is the huge gash underneath the corner of his mouth. Pretty sure that's part of his jaw showing.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Nordick posted:

I'm basically just guessing here, but I think a coal deposit or whatever has caught fire and they're basically trying to put it out by just digging away the burning stuff. So yeah, fire mining.
If someone knows better, feel free to correct me.

You're exactly right. Fires are one of the many things that make me want to stay way the hell away from coal mines. The ribs and back (walls) can breathe toxic poo poo on you, the drifts (roadways) can move, I've heard of freaking portals (the opening to the mine)spontaneously closing. Even better is if you're core drilling and hit a void filled methane and it blows sending a huge spear of metal back at you.

I'll work hard rock thank you. At least in hard rock if the earth decides to eat me it'll be a quick slabbing. gently caress coal mining.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010

Fibby Boy posted:

I think the best part of that picture is the huge gash underneath the corner of his mouth. Pretty sure that's part of his jaw showing.

My favorite part is the huge bitemark on it's side showing that this isn't just a shark, but a shark that fucks up other sharks.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Interesting. What am I seeing?

They can't really put the fire out, so they just remove the burning parts. Otherwise the whole deposit will just keep burning in place.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Flying turtle ? Kite ? Wingsuit ?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Istari posted:

Pom Pom?

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Istari posted:

Wingsuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fAvbqQWRWo

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Look at those little furry feathery feet!

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

This is pretty much a Roman Centurion after a 20-year career, in shark form.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

sinky posted:

There's a documentary about Group B rally. It's called Madness on Wheels :stare:
The full thing is here

Too fast to race is documentary I always recommend.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
A video, not a picture, but an Australian tourist captures a volcano erupting in Papua New Guinea from far enough away that you can see the shockwave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUREX8aFbMs

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Polaron posted:

A video, not a picture, but an Australian tourist captures a volcano erupting in Papua New Guinea from far enough away that you can see the shockwave.

4 km out and they still got rocked like that...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Seriously how giant are those chunks at 0:18? :stonk:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Polaron posted:

Rabaul is also cool underwater:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Polaron posted:

Here's a video of a guy who rappelled next to the mouth of an active volcano. Watching all that molten rock being churned around like it's nothing is intense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv7CYvnoUoI

Horace Kinch has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Sep 7, 2014

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Polaron posted:

Simply spectacular. :aaa:

Did they know there was an eruption due at that moment, or was their perfect framing and timing simply good luck?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Avocados posted:

Seriously how giant are those chunks at 0:18? :stonk:

Car-sized to house-sized. And they're not even close to being the most dangerous thing about an eruption like that one.

tentative8e8op posted:

Did they know there was an eruption due at that moment, or was their perfect framing and timing simply good luck?

Just some good luck I think. "Oh hey that thing over there is smoldering, this'll be cool to show my mates back ho-LY poo poo WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT"

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

tentative8e8op posted:

"It was a spur of the moment thing to head out and film the volcano. ... We saw it erupting and the ladies from Kokopo Beach Bungalows where we were staying said they could take us out on the boat to get a closer look. I thought I might as well try and capture something you rarely get to see."

From his interview in the Brisbane Times. So they knew there was a volcano being sort of active out there, but obviously they couldn't have predicted that.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

sitchelin posted:

Here's a video of a guy who rappelled next to the mouth of an active volcano. Watching all that molten rock being churned around like it's nothing is intense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv7CYvnoUoI

Man, I always though the cloud displacement was anime poo poo. What an amazing thing to see.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

"pictures"

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Double Bill posted:

This is pretty much a Roman Centurion after a 20-year career, in shark form.

I think the last time that pic was posted, someone best described it as the shark version of Marv from Sin City.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Lavender posted:

Man, I always though the cloud displacement was anime poo poo. What an amazing thing to see.

There's tons of footage - literal tons of celluloid, I mean that sincerely - of clouds being displaced by massive explosions.

The US Nuclear Test Program that started in 1945 was one of the best documented military endeavors in the history of ever. This is an example of one of the well filmed shots, Operation HARDTACK Shot Poplar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6PGZ4yiJqY

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Man with Hat posted:

I miss that rule in the old thread where we weren't allowed to argue about what's bad rear end and just posted cool poo poo.

I think it's a bad rear end illustration of a shark.
Still pretty bad rear end though.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

treasured8elief has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Sep 10, 2014

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
The craziest/saddest videos linked to those nuclear bomb videos are the ones that show, in the immediate aftermath of the nuclear tests, soldiers and workers inspecting things wearing only shorts and boots. I'm guessing no one knew exactly how dangerous it was to be doing that without protective gear, but still. :(

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Dingleberry Jones posted:

The craziest/saddest videos linked to those nuclear bomb videos are the ones that show, in the immediate aftermath of the nuclear tests, soldiers and workers inspecting things wearing only shorts and boots. I'm guessing no one knew exactly how dangerous it was to be doing that without protective gear, but still. :(

Plenty of people knew how dangerous it was. Those people just happened to be 12 or so ranks higher than anyone that would ever use a shovel.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
That's what I meant. The guys doing the actual work probably weren't thinking, "Hmm. This might be really dangerous for me."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't a common belief back then that covering you mouth and eyes and not exposing skin was enough to stop radiation? Not by scientists obviously, but by regular people?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wasn't a common belief back then that covering you mouth and eyes and not exposing skin was enough to stop radiation? Not by scientists obviously, but by regular people?

Boring personal anecdote to give a picture of what Joe Average's knowledge on the subject was like.

My grandfather was the tailgunner in a dive bomber for most of WW2. He says basically gently caress-all about his service, but on the phone a while back he told me this story: In '45 when the news about the atom bombs being dropped came down he was on a ship headed back to the US to train as a landing boat turret gunner for the planned invasion of Japan. He just casually mentioned this like it was no biggie. :catstare:

Anyway, the news was announced via loudspeaker, at which point "everyone turned to the one guy in our group who'd been to college and asked what the hell that nonsense meant. We all said "so it's a bomb without explosives, yet it can level a city??""

I imagine people got a bit more knowledge as the cold war geared up, but a lot of folks were starting basically from zero.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Sep 10, 2014

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wearing a dust mask and taping your clothes shut would do about as good against straight fallout, at least short short-term, as a modern gas mask/NBC suit. One way or another you'll probably end up either with cancer or looking like this:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Solice Kirsk posted:

I saw a documentation once about how old films taught how to react to a nuclear bomb. The slogan was "If you see the flash: duck and cover!". Under your table at school or next to a curbstone. So yeah, there sure was a time when no one knew how to react (not that you could in a useful way).

Fake edit: Hey, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

Real edit: After reading the wiki entry for the movie, covering yourself with a piece of paper could really help with burns from the blast. So i guess you could live a day longer if you did it.

RabbitWizard has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Sep 15, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

It killed you slowly rather than quickly so there was a time where people basically didn't understand all the specifics of radiation poisoning. Marie Curie, for example, kept samples of glowing material on her desk because she thought they looked cool. She died of radiation-related illness long, long after. There are still people today dying of stuff related to long-term exposure to radiation or materials that turned out to be carcinogenic because, 60 years ago, people just flat out didn't know better.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

RabbitWizard posted:

Real edit: After reading the wiki entry for the movie, covering yourself with a piece of paper could really help with burns from the blast. So i guess you could live a day longer if you did it.

On a related note (and because it really is a bad-rear end picture), this woman was a victim of Hiroshima:

The marks are the pattern from her clothing, burned into her skin.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RabbitWizard posted:

I saw a documentation once about how old films taught how to react to a nuclear bomb. The slogan was "If you see the flash: duck and cover!". Under your table at school or next to a curbstone. So yeah, there sure was a time when no one knew how to react (not that you could in a useful way).

If you survive the initial blast you can trudge around for a day or two and properly dispose of your less fortunate civilians.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RabbitWizard posted:

They probably weren't going to put out an accurate film stating that "If you can see the flash, you're hosed! Lie down and wrap yourself in a sheet for easier disposal."

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

muscles like this? posted:

They probably weren't going to put out an accurate film stating that "If you can see the flash, you're hosed! Lie down and wrap yourself in a sheet for easier disposal."

The British version of "Duck and Cover" was "Protect and Survive".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2UpM8Ci_ao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TZOxlTwAvA