Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Protect an survive was quite explicitly designed to keep the placid British public all calm and happy in the event of a nuclear attack. Not a single scenario commissioned by the army or government (where details are public) had a more than 20% survival rate for the population of the UK, after the missile crisis.

Britain is the most target-saturated country in the world when it comes to preemptive or secondary strike nuclear warfare. It was judged too expensive and far too impossible to actually protect the population (except the government reports in the wake of able archer that flat out said: Britain will survive nuclear war if it does not have missiles stationed on it), so the plan was to ensure Britain could survive as an advanced base for the US, and strike in good old British spiteful dirty fighting from beyond the grave to kill as many innocent Russian civilians as possible. Nuclear war is a terrible terrible thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lenoon posted:

Nuclear war is a terrible terrible thing.

Which is basically the reason it's pretty unlikely to happen, even though the world came close a few times. One simple fact of war is that you fight because you think you can win. Nobody starts a war they think they're going to lose or fights one they know they can't gain anything from. If a nuclear war happens everybody loses. To be honest I think that's a major reason why WWIII hasn't happened and why stuff has been a lot more calm overall since WWII. People are looking at the aftermath of the bomb dropping and thinking "you know, we have tens of thousands of these in the world...we should probably not kick of global conflicts anymore." Far as I can tell nobody even has their fingers on the buttons anymore.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Which is basically the reason it's pretty unlikely to happen, even though the world came close a few times. One simple fact of war is that you fight because you think you can win. Nobody starts a war they think they're going to lose or fights one they know they can't gain anything from. If a nuclear war happens everybody loses. To be honest I think that's a major reason why WWIII hasn't happened and why stuff has been a lot more calm overall since WWII. People are looking at the aftermath of the bomb dropping and thinking "you know, we have tens of thousands of these in the world...we should probably not kick of global conflicts anymore." Far as I can tell nobody even has their fingers on the buttons anymore.

"Let's make a weapon so terrible no one will dare to go to war" might have some actual truth behind it in the case of nuclear weapons, but overall it hasn't been the most foolproof logic in history.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5MGJ87hPGw

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Dingleberry Jones posted:

That's what I meant. The guys doing the actual work probably weren't thinking, "Hmm. This might be really dangerous for me."

Not just dangerous for the observers, but the tests spread nuclear fallout all over the place and basically irradiated huge swathes of the country depending on the weather patterns.

That's eventually why above ground nuclear testing was banned, because a (kind of creepy) scientific survey found that children born after the tests had really high levels of dangerous radioactive isotopes in their system compared to pre-testing kids.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

BioMe posted:

"Let's make a weapon so terrible no one will dare to go to war" might have some actual truth behind it in the case of nuclear weapons, but overall it hasn't been the most foolproof logic in history.

Wasn't this the motivation behind the invention of the Maxim Gun too or is that just an anachronism/my false memory? I'm having a hard time finding a quote but I seem to remember this being the case.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pretty soft girl posted:

Wasn't this the motivation behind the invention of the Maxim Gun too or is that just an anachronism/my false memory? I'm having a hard time finding a quote but I seem to remember this being the case.

I think Gatling thought his gun would do that too.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

BioMe posted:

This is a legit scholarly theory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_peace

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Attack on Titan live-action remake lookin' good.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Dingleberry Jones posted:

The craziest/saddest videos linked to those nuclear bomb videos are the ones that show, in the immediate aftermath of the nuclear tests, soldiers and workers inspecting things wearing only shorts and boots. I'm guessing no one knew exactly how dangerous it was to be doing that without protective gear, but still. :(

My grandpa was one of the soldiers involved in some of the nuclear tests though I think him and his unit just watched from a certain distance away. He died in 1992 at age 64 from colon cancer, he always wondered if him developing cancer was due to his involvement in the nuclear tests.

Wonder how many other soldiers/workers ended up having cancer? It could be unrelated to the tests but he's the only person in my family tree that has had cancer, that we know of in the 1900's anyway. People in my family normally live to their 80's/90's :(

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It'd be cool if peace wasn't predicated on being able to kill everyone on the planet, even those not involved in the conflict, but that's life apparently. I've always thought it was a bit petulant, like a child throwing a toy out of the pram - "waaaahhhh our territorial integrity is in danger of being violated waaaahhh!!! Let's use these weapons that will irrevocably gently caress up the planet and kill people for whom nuclear warfare isn't even comprehensible!!! Waaaaah!!!"

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
On the Nuclear talk; Tsutomu Yamaguchi the only man to be recognized as living through both Nuclear drops. He died at age 93 from stomach cancer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi

Hiroshima bombing
Yamaguchi lived and worked in Nagasaki, but in the summer of 1945 he went to Hiroshima for a three-month-long business trip.[3] On August 6, he was preparing to leave the city with two colleagues, Akira Iwanaga and Kuniyoshi Sato, and was on his way to the station when he realised he had forgotten his hanko (a stamp allowing him to travel), and returned to his workplace to get it.[4][5] At 8:15, he was walking back towards the docks when the American bomber Enola Gay dropped the Little Boy atomic bomb near the centre of the city, only 3 km away.[3][6] Yamaguchi recalls seeing the bomber and two small parachutes, before there was "a great flash in the sky, and I was blown over".[5] The explosion ruptured his eardrums, blinded him temporarily, and left him with serious burns over the left side of the top half of his body. After recovering, he crawled to a shelter, and having rested, he set out to find his colleagues.[5] They had also survived and together they spent the night in an air-raid shelter before returning to Nagasaki the following day.[4][5] In Nagasaki, he received treatment for his wounds, and despite being heavily bandaged, he reported for work on August 9.[3]

Nagasaki bombing
At 11 am on August 9, Yamaguchi was describing the blast in Hiroshima to his supervisor, when the American bomber Bockscar dropped the Fat Man atomic bomb onto Nagasaki. His workplace again put him 3 km from ground zero, but this time he was unhurt by the explosion.[6] However, he was unable to seek replacement for his now ruined bandages, and he suffered from a high fever for over a week.[3]

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Japanese tend to have a higher rate of stomach cancer than Americans.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Automatic Slim posted:

Japanese tend to have a higher rate of stomach cancer than Americans.

Really? What's the reason for this?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rough Lobster posted:

Really? What's the reason for this?

Salty pickled foods are very popular in Japan, which is cited for the main reason why.

If that makes little sense Gastritis is also more common in Japan, and frequent infections increase the risk of Cancer.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Sep 15, 2014

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I liked it when this thread had pictures.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
File dump.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Hey, who turned out the lights?

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
No ring, 3/10.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Ugh. Why do people always do that pigeon toed stance in high fashion?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That pic is badass and I refuse to timg it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If those planes can carry a goddamn space shuttle then I call bullshit on overweight baggage fees.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The Mindy Project is pretty bad-rear end.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
File dump part II.

Aaaand I'm done.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
Meet Gwar's new frontmanwoman, Vulvatron.
http://i.imgur.com/kcwi9rG.jpg
Edit: linked for possible :nws:

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Jellymouth posted:

don't forget that those (prosthetic) boobs spray blood! :smaug:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Jellymouth posted:

Wow. I wonder if her parents are proud.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Istari posted:

She found a steady gig that pays well. I'd be.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Istari posted:

That their kids get to dress up as monsters and scream at strangers for a living should be every parents dream.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

So, did he come or what?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

That their kids get to dress up as monsters and scream at strangers for a living should be every parents dream.

"Do you have your bag of throat drops for music class? Okay, have fun at school today, sweetie! :wave:"

Unrelated:

A particularly badass-looking specimen of the sungazer lizard.

While the species' official scientific name is Cordylus giganteus, they've also been known by the more evocative alternative name, Smaug giganteus (y'know, since Draco as a genus name was already taken).

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

I knew his dad was a hitman but I didn't imagine this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Say Nothing posted:

Badass high jump.

Landing pads are for sissies!
Are you joking? This is how high jump was performed before that one guy started jumping backwards and kept doing it despite numerous disualifications until it got accepted and spread everywhere. The current high jumping method is badass, not the other way round.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Palpek posted:

Are you joking? This is how high jump was performed before that one guy started jumping backwards and kept doing it despite numerous disualifications until it got accepted and spread everywhere. The current high jumping method is badass, not the other way round.

What with the big padded bag? Bunch of softcocks.

it's the lack of any safety equipment that makes it badass

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Memento posted:

What with the big padded bag? Bunch of softcocks.

it's the lack of any safety equipment that makes it badass

Year 1908.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Doctor Bishop posted:

"Do you have your bag of throat drops for music class? Okay, have fun at school today, sweetie! :wave:"

Unrelated:

A particularly badass-looking specimen of the sungazer lizard.

While the species' official scientific name is Cordylus giganteus, they've also been known by the more evocative alternative name, Smaug giganteus (y'know, since Draco as a genus name was already taken).

Haha I just woke up and read that as "Smug Giganteus", then I looked at his little face and thought that yeah, he did look a lil' smug :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008