Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Beastie posted:

My brother was visiting and he wanted to play Jedi Fallen Order. He immediately picked it up as The HU.

I don't know who that fall out boy guy is singing with them, but he don't belong.

Yeah, that version is just embarrassing. The original version of Wolf Totem is just fine the way it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

... Well, except for the hot water they got in for including some (read: one) hidden nazi iconography. Turns out if you call up a bunch of biker gangs to be in a music video, that becomes a distinct possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Dammit I'm always late to the derail party but the Haka rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_rotEpFtZU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Phlegmish posted:

Might I interest you in YouTube

The related videos, LOL.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Rossi is straight-up lucky to be alive after this. If you watch the angle from his view, with the telemetry, there's basically nothing he could have done to predict or avoid those tumbling bikes.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Do tanks have suspension in a similar sense to cars? I imagine this is probably pretty painful for the crew, either way.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Roblo posted:

Bit of fun where i live this evening, controlled detonation of a ~2m long german bomb.

I live over a mile away and my house shook/could hear it over some pretty loud metal coming out of my speakers.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=744376119536208

This is also fascinating and terrifying that we're still finding dangerous UXO from both world wars all over Europe. I'm curious how they mitigate damage to the surroundings though, if at all. Aside from evacuating a certain radius around the thing, how do they deal with broken windows, foundation repair or worse? Are these just parts of the cost of finding a big bomb you can't defuse?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Imagine conquering half the loving world over spices, and never using any of them.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Android Apocalypse posted:

Aren't those how those giant solar farms out in the SoCal/Nevada deserts work?

I've always wondered about these things. How does the boiling vessel work? How do they focus each panel, like some kid trying to shine a wristwatch reflection in their teacher's eyes? Are they mechanically actuated to move throughout the day? What happens if one is misaligned, will it fry some poor pilot's corneas?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Didn't the Hell's Angels and other biker gangs use a similar(ly flimsy) defence for their use of the iron cross and other Nazi imagery? "It's just to freak out the squares," if memory serves me Hunter S Thompson wrote about this but I could be wrong.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
why are kangaroos so buff

i get that they're mostly quadrupeds, but why are their shoulders and traps so big

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ultrafilter posted:

Creatures with as few brain cells as insects don't get to be intelligent.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ElGroucho posted:

Does anybody have the gif of that very fat man throwing a fart in heat vision? He had some real propulsion. I saw it on these forums once and have never been able to find it again.

I don't have the gif but I just want to point out that I love the nomenclature 'throwing' a fart. It implies like, ventriloquism, being able to project your farts to other places.

Personally, I just learned how to 'curve' my farts like the assassins' bullets in Wanted.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

OwlFancier posted:

That thing definitely traps your loving soul if you get stabbed with it.

Also re: the big robot arms, I dunno if I could live life if I knew how to control one of those, I would just face every situation thinking "man this would be so much easier if I had my giant robot arm"

Going shopping? Robot arm. Job interview? Robot arm. Traffic? Robot arm.

Agreed. This is why the whole 'mechanical apartheid' conceit in the Deus Ex prequels is laughable, like augmented people would be subjugated somehow. Can't you just break your cages with your robot arms???

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mostlygray posted:

My grandma had one from way back in day. Not as fancy as this one but it worked the same. She also had a box of stereo photos that I used to like looking at. Lots of messed up stuff. Photos of severed heads from the Boxer Rebellion, starving people in India, nothing pretty really. It was almost all photos of atrocities. I guess that was popular at the time.
I think my mom has all that stuff now.

Uh... I had one of these. I think the disc had pictures of cute farm animals on it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mds2 posted:

Holy cow what a run.

it's a horse tho

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Dracula is a dumb name

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANwP8xC7C2o

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think the interesting takeaway from the 'sound in space' geekbait is that they found a medium of gas in an interstellar object, presumably dense enough to experience oscillating compression/rarefaction that could be called 'sound'.

Obviously it's transduced or straight-up pulled from observing a simulation of the gas cloud; we couldn't point a huge parabolic microphone at it because it's still very true that interstellar space between us is very much empty.

I think they've done similar things 'listening to' gas giants in our solar system. I remember reading about those a few years back and thinking "something's not right."

They've already elucidated that it's extrapolated from something other than 'sound' and pitched up eight octaves to even be audible. But I'm curious how loud it is. How dense is the gas medium compared to our atmosphere, and can we even measure its 'loudness' in any practical or traditional way (i.e: would the Decibel scale even apply)? I asked this on the twitter thread and nobody's responded yet.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Phanatic posted:

Threshold of human hearing is 0db/20 micropascals. Standard atmospheric pressure at sea level is about 100 kPa. 20log10(100kPa/20uPa) = 194 dB, which is the loudest sound you can get short of a shockwave. In an molecular cloud, maybe you've got a pressure of 1E-8 pascals, so 20log10(1E-8 Pa/20uPa) = -66.02 dB. So in other words really, really quiet. In the interstellar medium you're looking at 1E-18 pascals.

Right, I was actually thinking about your informative reply in another thread re: my question about explosives underwater and the difference between sounds and shockwaves. Fascinating and helpful as always, thanks! :)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
There's a short documentary on Netflix right now called Inside The Mind Of A Cat that's actually worth watching. It goes into some depth about their self-righting instincts and other fascinating stuff. And if nothing else, it's got great high-def slow-motion footage of cats doing hilarious stuf.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The Bond theme is great and all but I think those cat videos need more of Amon Tobin's Splinter Cell soundtrack.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Weren't a bunch of the runners (or cyclists?) in the first modern Olympics or something all drunk and doped up on ether or something like that?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

TEN-EIGHTY

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
If you like the way the Carnyx sounds, you should check out the music of Colin Stetson. He's a multi-instrumentalist with a focus on horns, and an unorthodox playing style that involves a lot of drones, strange harmonics and mics on his throat and valves for extra timbre and percussive sounds.

If you'd played just the audio from this I would think it was a synthesizer, the haunting resonant peaks he's able to get out of this instrument and others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ndSVeUmMZA

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

UwUnabomber posted:

My friends dad is a taxidermist. Mounted a couple deer for my dad. One day he asked if I wanted to come to the basement to see his "masterpiece." It was a four foot wide diorama type thing by his Warhammer terrain tables. Snarling coyote holding a blood soaked deer leg, pool of red resin in the grass by his feet.

It's weird and a bit disquieting that some people choose the flesh of dead animals as their medium, but it's an art form for sure. I'd love to see that masterpiece, but I'd also have way too many questions about its construction.

Also we sometimes get stuff like this:

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Feb 21, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Sperm whales' clicks are so loud they can cook us to death if we're too close. Also, they're probably smarter than us.

The decibel scale works differently underwater (it's relative to ambient pressure, so in normal air pressure the loudest 'sound' possible is about 196dB, but it's higher underwater), but that's still plenty loving loud. I have no idea how those divers could physically bear to be that close to the whales. Not sure of the veracity of these stories, but I've heard that active SONAR arrays in submarines can absolutely kill you if you're too close when they ping, and apparently this was used as a defensive tactic for submarines in port to ward off potential underwater saboteurs.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Phanatic posted:

The scale works differently in that the reference level is different,. In acoustics you're talking about sound pressure level, SPL = 20log10(ptotal/pstatic), with pstatic being a standard reference pressure which is 20uP in air but only 1uP in water. So your SPL for a given actual sound power is going to be higher in water. In our atmosphere the limiting point is when the negative side of the pressure wave goes down to 0, you can't get lower pressure than that, so that works out to the 196dB mentioned; you can get stronger pressures on the high side then that but at that point you're talking about a shock-wave, you're dealing with moving the medium itself around and not just a vibration that's moving through the medium. Underwater, you're starting off at a higher pressure, and your limiting point is when the negative side of the pressure wave goes down low enough for the water to start vaporizing. So the deeper you are and the higher the ambient pressure is, the louder a sound you can generate.

Human senses are also logarithmic, so "sound energy" and "loudness" are not the same thing: a 3 dB increase is double the energy, but only about a 25% increase in the loudness you'd perceive. Each increase of 10 dB is 10 times the power, so 200 dB is 10^10, 10 billion times more power than 100 dB.

Thank you Phanatic for once again laying down the proper nollij on the subject. I need to work on the math.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Would you rather fight a horse-sized war, or a war-sized horse?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I find it weird and fascinating that the Hammond organ took off as a successful instrument at all, let alone how it became a staple of rock & roll music. I get that smaller churches probably played a big role in the instrument's success, but that set of timbres is kind of a hard sell if what you're trying to imitate is a pipe organ... Also the whole mechanism (tone wheels that rotate in front of an electromagnetic pickup) is kind of clunky and awkward. I wonder if the attackless sustain of an organ being the desired end result was why they went with tone wheels instead of something more elegant like the mallet/pickup system in a Rhodes electric piano.

And in the context of rock music, the heavily distorted tones that came later are just so harmonically rich that it's strange they would often find themselves sharing aural space with electric guitars (which can also be incredibly harmonically dense).

Then again, I'm pretty sure people laughed at Leo Fender's ideas too.

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Apr 18, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

OwlFancier posted:

organistrum/hurdy gurdy video

That's interesting, it didn't occur to me that a Hammond's wheels are essentially an electric hurdy-gurdy. You reminded me that this is a thing, and I think it fits the thread very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKE0TT1qo8E

I'm not sure in what way this guy has 'prepared' the Horror Gurdy other than alternative tunings, but this is haunting. I kind of want an Apprehension Engine; the guy who 'invented' it is a luthier from around here - but apparently the base model is like $10k.

Nordick posted:

I think it was because it sounds cool as poo poo

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Also rock and roll started as a conscious blending of blues and gospel. Including a church organ is kind of natural.

:hmmyes:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Roblo posted:

I think this is just chuds dicking about. Yes people can buy miniguns of course they can what kind of fool would suggest that you shouldn't be able to.

Right? I mean Arnie used an M134 in T2: Judgment Day and he literally didn't even injure a single person with it, so I should be able to have one. :smug:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
In 1855 in Toronto there was a riot/gang war in which two of the antagonists taking part in combat and arson were literally firefighters and circus clowns fighting over a brothel.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ommin posted:

I thought it was because the ram brought a hammer to a knife fight. They're horns are more bashy bashy and the deer's are more stabby stabby.

It's so bizarre to me that some animals evolved to hit things with their heads, or just generally have their fighty bits on their heads. I wonder how that happened.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Is this really possible? I thought the crack of a whip was a miniature sonic boom, and figured you wouldn't be able to put that kind of momentum into a length of chain like you would with more traditional whip construction.

It's badass either way.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ultrafilter posted:

You probably wouldn't be able to do it with a chain that's as short as a standard whip.

Right, that makes sense. Seat-of-the-pants I feel like the tapering size of the chain links is also a big factor.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Preoptopus posted:

Requesting Pic of that bad rear end special forces dude holding an adult rifle while wearing a white button up shirt and tie.

I'm not sure if you're thinking of the same guy, but that sounds like Mike Vining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

fartknocker posted:

His Wikipedia page has a funny picture of him too:

That’s the glasses and expression of an accountant, not a Delta Force commando.

Nah B, he's got a bit of a thousand-yard stare. He's (obviously) been in some engagements.

Pookah posted:

Mike Vining comes across as a person who did his job at the time and isn't particularly interested in talking about it in the aftermath, so not a blowhard windbag.

100%, he's the platonic ideal of what an actual super-secret-squirrel spec-ops guy should be. I understand those types are increasingly rare; apparently since the beginning of the GWOT and surge in popularity of tactical shooters, more and more people who end up SEALs or whatever are loudmouth meatheads.