Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Decrepus posted:

A maneuver like this puts a lot of water molecules into contact with the hull which can lead to rapid disintegration of the ship.

In the sense that it was in the water when it did the maneuver, yes it is in contact with a lot of water molecules. Water is not compressible, so it is in contact with roughly the same amount that it always is.

:goonsay:

They're dissolving because the Navy and a new contractor built them on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holttho
May 21, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Lots of Euro pale lagers come out badly skunked, especially ones in green bottles.

"It's a feature of tradition, not a defect!"

holttho
May 21, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

When I was a kid we used BB guns and our grenades were CO2 canisters with M80s taped to them. Kids these days... "air soft" :clint:

We only lost 4 eyes, 13 fingers, a lung, and that weird kid from the end of the block!

holttho
May 21, 2007

Some depictions of him are more badass than others. It is his own skin he carries around

As a bonus, apparently H.R. Geiger has been alive and working for 500 years.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Samovar posted:

Well, in the would-be shooter's defence (can't believe I'm seeing myself type that out) pretty sure his chin wasn't that shape BEFORE he encountered Mr. Rafiq.

holttho
May 21, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

This post and that video are not very good characterizations of what a "white hole" is.

Long story short, a white hole is a mathematical quirk that pops out of the mathematics of the most basic and naïve formulation of a black hole, one that postulates a non-rotating, uncharged black hole in an otherwise empty universe for eternity. They're an extension of the black hole and they occur basically in another universe as a consequence of the existence of the universe with the black hole, and they're the opposite of a black hole - instead of all possible paths ending at the singularity, all possible paths start at the singularity. In other words, instead of light (or anything else) being unable to escape, it is unable to get in. You can (mathematically) construct a series of universes where infinitely long paths go from a white hole, through infinity to another universe, and into a black hole, and out a white hole in yet another universe, and so on. This is all obviously the sort of nonsense you get when you make a mathematical model that is too simple. I'm not sure where you got the "take forever to form" and "last forever a small time", since by definition they don't form - they always exist and last forever in their extremely simple mathematical model of a universe.

Once you remove the perfect symmetry of the empty universe, or the symmetry of the black hole existing for all time, there is no longer any reason to think there is a white hole counterpart to a normal black hole (of the sort you might get from a collapsing star, for example, or the supermassive ones at the centers of galaxies). However, there have been various ideas of how to re-jigger the white hole idea to try and explain the origins of the Big Bang. Interesting ideas, to be sure, but ultimately doomed to fail for now, because we do not have a complete theory of how the universe works on very, very, very, very, very small scales. There is little reason to think that such a thing as a "black hole singularity" (as in, an infinitely dense point of finite mass) is real, and not a consequence of a limited theory, and therefore, no good reason to suspect that matter might be vanishing into another universe to pop out of a white hole. Not that "the big bang is a white hole, and black holes create universes" is a bad theory, just one whose time is yet to come, and one which is neither mainstream nor well-supported. I'm not sure how they mathematically reconcile the instantaneous nature of the "Big Bang white hole" with the non-instantaneous nature black holes, but it's been a long time since grad school and my general relativity is rusty, so I'm not sure if I could tell you whether it's properly explained or just a load of horseshit.

A good post.

The PBS Space Time series on Youtube are excellent continuations on these for anyone who found this interesting. The guy who does them is an actual astrophysicist and the videos are interesting and engaging without stooping down to the "SOOOO EPIX" that too many contemporaries fall into. Space is interesting enough! It doesn't need zazzing up!

holttho
May 21, 2007

Just another example of Americans using literally anything but the metric system to indicate size! What the heck is a Arizona, anyways?

Though less impressive fact about it is that if you were walking around there, you wouldn't know you were on it, as the majority of the slope of the volcano is less than 5% for vast stretches. It would be like walking around Fargo; far from the Mt. Fuji-like depictions it is typically given.

holttho
May 21, 2007

A very cool, real-life solar-system place to be was depicted in the short film Wanders, of a cliff on Uranus's smallest moon of Miranda. It (Verona Rupes) is believed to be up to 20km vertical, and with the low gravity, a BASE jump could last as long as 12 minutes with only a small, hand-helded rocket required to arrest your fall at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holttho
May 21, 2007

Platystemon posted:

John Paul Jones was not a good man, but his crypt is very powerful, and the story of how his body ended up there is wild.

With a tomb that nice, you'd think they could afford to clean the pigeon poo poo off there once in a while.