Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Appears the cold has won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
That's ok, I bet she does too.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah, I'm confused as to how there was enough demand to even have it available, let alone the price.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
And that man was Isaac Newton.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Enough with the boo hoo sob story, gimme my goddamn Taylor Swift updates!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think part of the complaint was that Saturn appears to be very nearly the same size as Jupiter.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Screaming Idiot posted:

He is basically a superhero.

EDIT: Imagine trying to get into a fight with that dude.

I'm imagining the Husband in King Fu Hustle

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
IMO for that to be bad rear end we need to see that it's a rare skill exhibited by very few other birds. Otherwise it's just something birds can do.

Backflips wouldn't be cool if we could all do them, we need to see all the gifs of people absolutely failing at them in order to understand how difficult it is for the lay person.

What I'm saying is, show me some videos of birds boofing it into various objects.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
One cool trick to keep you cat from getting run over

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
That one pictured doesn't appear big enough to print a full sized sabretooth skull.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'll allow it

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

ekuNNN posted:

A little old lady throws rocks at the cops in Ecuador

Rookie of the Year sequel looking good

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Just wait till that dude sees the onion volcano

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

small ghost posted:

Idk if it counts as badass enough for the thread but there's a video out there of a wedding haka that reduces me to tears every time and I'm not really a wedding crier even when it's someone I know getting married.

Hakas are raw and powerful and emotional in a way we're taught to find embarrassing and shameful; and the correct response to that is to examine your kneejerk distate for seeing humans doing something so quintessentially and fundamentally human and get over yourself, not diminish the haka to soothe your discomfort.

I agree, but man it's just been kind of exploited in pop culture and sporting events and maybe there's such a thing as too much haka. At some point it loses that humanity you're talking about and it's just a producer going, "You know what would be badass? ANOTHER HAKA"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Field Mousepad posted:

I have never seen a haka anywhere except on YouTube. What are you watching that has them on the reg? Besides rugby I guess.

Also: PYF Bad rear end Pictures: Official Haka Appreciation thread

You know, maybe I overstated things a bit. But I do occasionally watch Hawaii football and watching a bunch of white kids forced to haka maybe soured me to it. I avoided watching Hobbs & Shaw specifically because the ads featured the haka so prominently but that movie was better than either of the last couple F&F movies (not saying much) and the haka actually made a little sense there.

I won't disparage any genuine haka, I think that since I've only ever seen it done on tv/movies it's always seemed forced.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Shoplift to feed the poor and they eat for a day, teach the poor to shoplift and they'll eat forever

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Bro we also do movie theaters.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well yeah, because of the implication.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Xarbala posted:

This is a very detailed census

"Knot! I meant he has a tiny knot!"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
With all the relativity and light speed stuff I kind of understand that a thing moving at light speed will appear to be moving at light speed to all observers (though I might have stated that badly or maybe I don't actually understand at all) but my question has always been if it's all relative and I'm trying to accelerate to light speed vs my origin, which was already moving at light speed vs some other point in space/time, why can't I ever be actually moving through space at greater than light speed vs that 2nd point?

Like say point A and point B are moving away from each other at precisely .5c, relative to each other. If I'm at point A and decide to travel away from point B I am instantly traveling at faster than the speed of light relative to point B, right? Is this wrong? Or is it just a stupid thought experiment because nobody gives a poo poo about what's happening at point B? And if I can travel faster than light speed away from point B that basically means, as far as I understand, my journey could never be directly observed by point B?

And what about two points moving toward each other at precisely .5c? Surely I can accelerate toward another body and increase my energy on impact?

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Jun 24, 2021

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm not sure I understand that. It looks like if v1*v2 = c^2 then the denominator is 2, so (v1+v2)/2. But that doesn't jive at all to my layman brain's with the idea of v1+v2 collision between two objects travelling at light speed relative to each other, or a third object that launched itself off of either object toward the oncoming body. Why would the relative velocities be cut in half?

It seems kind of arbitrary that just because they are approaching or past the speed of light relative to each other that different math is involved. And I'm not saying different math shouldn't be involved, I'm more curious if there's a certain point where it has to be. Where is that point?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't think I understand this well enough to describe a situation like that. I'm just trying to understand it conceptually at all. But I'll try.

If I have two ball bearings heading toward each other, one from from the left at 20mph and one from the right at 20mph, the energy of produced by their collision is equivalent to if one were standing still and the other was going 40mph, right? So the simple v1+v2 scenario. But at what point does that stop being true?

Assume they're going 100mph each, or 10,000,000mph each, why do I need to bring c into the equation? How fast do they need to be going relative to each other for that original 20 + 20mph to not work? That's what I mean by arbitrary, is there a specific point where that kind of simple equation doesn't work and we need to bring c into the equation?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thanks got it! At least, I get the math part.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Why bother opening the tab? He's already got it vented. Wasting valuable lovely beer by taking that extra couple seconds!

Oh I see, he's stuck at the standard angle

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Absent significant gravity, what even is a cliff?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Those last 5 seconds are not played on the straw, looked very satisfying

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Seems pretty tall to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Uthor posted:

Made me wonder: what would The Man put up as an anti-pogostick deterrents. Like, the stuff they put up for skateboarders wouldn't do poo poo.

I would say ceilings but that might also benefit the homeless so it's kind of a non-starter