Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
File dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
File dump part II.

Aaaand I'm done.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.

The Empire State Building's design was originally made to moor and depot dirigibles. Unfortunately, strong winds and updrafts made the building unsuitable for the airships and was ultimately abandoned.

Brutalist Architecture (béton brut, or "raw concrete"), popularised in the 1950s-70s, often depict fortress-like structures that display forms of strength and functionality (and in my mind, 1980's Sci-fi). Examples here include The Buffalo City Court and The University of Toronto's library.

The Phantom Corsair, a prototype car designed in 1938 by Rust Heinz. Its design included no door handles (push buttons instead), a top speed of 185km/115m per hour and an in-board beverage cabinet. Costing $24000 to produce at that time, Heinz's death the following year meant that the prototype was the only one ever produced.

The Flood Tunnels in Japan, designed to prevent overflow in the city streets, are the largest of its kind:

Wikipedia posted:

Work on the project started in 1992 and was completed by early 2009; it consists of five concrete containment silos with heights of 65 m and diameters of 32 m, connected by 6.4 km of tunnels, 50 m beneath the surface, as well as a large water tank with a height of 25.4 m, with a length of 177 m, with a width of 78 m, and with 59 massive pillars connected to a number of 10 MW pumps that can pump up to 200 tons of water (the approximate equivalent of a standard 25 meter pool) into the Edo River per second.

Naqsh-e Rustam, a necropolis location in Iran, dating back approx. 1000BCE. These tombs belonged to the Achaemenid kings of old, but were ultimately looted by Alexander the Great.

The Ship Breaking Yards of Geddan, Karachi. Dismantling ships for scrap metal, workers break down ships piece by piece with blowtorches and use chains to peel away each section.

These people are mental.

I remember when I (briefly) lived in South Africa as a child, I was taken to check out one of the Safari Parks/Game Reserves. We had come in on a day where they were feeding the lions, which basically meant they put a zebra carcass next to a tree, get everyone to make sure they stay in their loving cars and wait. For the next 30-40 minutes, we couldn't see or hear anything at all...at which point you would notice the giant loving cats creeping past the window towards their meal.

Anyway, Africa has some cool beasts.

And finally, some cool dudes.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.

Chard posted:

This was all awesome, good stuff. IIRC though this specific picture is actually from Mirror's Edge. That being said I didn't know it was modeled on a real place :stare:

Ah, my bad - I haven't played Mirror's Edge, so I naturally assumed that it was a nice little dark shoot or something.

Doctor Bishop posted:

On the other hand, it's very likely that the whole "dirigible mast" thing was never anything more than an excuse to essentially attach a giant phallus to the top of the the Empire State Building's previously flat-topped design in order to increase its height enough to 1-up the Chrysler Building, which had recently taken the world by surprise with its claiming of the title of tallest building in the world thanks to the surprise raising of its now-famous spire at the conclusion of its construction.

That's actually pretty cool to know!

Anyway, here's a series of shoots by Jan Kempenaers on Spomeniks in Former Yugoslavia - memorials of the Second World War. What's interesting to note is that there used to be plenty more, but were subsequently torn down over the years. I posted the last in this collection before, but it's cool to see them with the others:

bitprophet posted:

This one is the former AT&T Long Lines building in lower Manhattan. I used to walk by it on my commute, it is a seriously badass building. It being designed for telecom/computer equipment explains the lack of windows & enormous ventilation shafts.

I'll be visiting Manhattan later this year, so I reckon I'll check it out - the photos probably don't do the actual building justice.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
He tore his pectoral muscles, if I remember correctly.

Say Nothing posted:

As thread author, I think the :justpost: rule should apply. Videos, gifs, whatever, as long as it's bad rear end.

939lb deadlift World Record, no weightlifting belt.

Konstantin Konstantinovs is one of my favourite powerlifters. Here's a video of him training:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA8s17YIbSY

Apparently he also works as a bodyguard.