Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Maybe they're calling them "Murder Hornets" as to not politicize them, kind of like how some people call COVID-19 "Wuhan Flu."

:thunk:

Yeah the real name is Asian Giant Hornet. Fine, we'll call them Vespa mandarinia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Also Robertson won NBA championships, unlike Russell Westbrook. :v:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My favorite thing about Rube Goldberg contraptions is that it's almost exclusively the realm of white folks that have the time & resources to set them up. :v:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Lil' Nas X is a prophet. And dope as hell.

Now I wanna watch Blazing Saddles again.

Brass. Balls.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
But did those Rangers hold off the enemy from the roof of a Vancouver, WA Burgerville?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTOyxsnMl0s
I've been to that Burgerville. Nothing exciting about it, though I wasn't fighting off waves of Russian paratroopers.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

frankee posted:

Wilfred Brimley with a sweet potato

When watching that movie my friends & I would yell "It's the right thing to doooooooooo!!!!" as he rides away from the explosion.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): I'm Existing Just For Listing! > PYF bad rear end Pictures: We M-79′ed his birthday party.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I'm guessing this is what H.P. Lovecraft saw one evening.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Nah, that's a weather phenomenon, not his cat.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm irrationally angry at how much head those steins have.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Maybe if we're lucky, the mob will join in too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyRknVzkVcQ

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That manga initially was called Cat poo poo One.
They did an updated little animated flick (GWOT instead of Vietnam).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrJk1qmthd4

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Definitely better than the initial headline "Man beats off bear to save dog."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Norman Rockwell had the gift of fully realizing a moment & illustrating it so others could see it too.

New Kids in the Neighborhood, 1967

"The Problem We All Live With,” Norman Rockwell, 1963

Funny enough I only recently saw the uncropped version of the above illuatration. Almost every version I saw beforehand cropped out the racial slur on the wall. Shame too because it's full glory is best seen with it, as uncomfortable as it can be.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Bison are cool as hell. I also love they'll stall traffic for hours at Yellowstone (especially the Western entrance since it cuts close to a riverside meadow they like to frequent).

It's a nice reminder that at Yellowstone, we're the guests and they're the primary residents.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I remember seeing a great night skt out at Mt. Hood back around 2017. I only had my iPhone, but I did have my PVS-14 which gave a little inkling to how full the night sky was with stars:

Alas, even this pic is flattening the image. The depth of the starfield was immense.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm expecting the 4th Matrix movie to reveal Zion is just another simulation and that's how Neo was able to affect the sentinels at the end of The Matrix Reloaded.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Detective Thompson posted:

Who watches the Watchkowskuses?

I do. I enjoy their work, even if it can get messy & weird. Like Sense8, Speed Racer, or Jupiter Ascending.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
We're hitting the point that those that lived through WWII and the immediate aftermath are dying out in significant enough numbers. The cultural relevance to it are fading into far history instead of recent past. If your country wasn't directly involved with WWII would you learn about it in school?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
You know you got some honkey-rear end friends when mayonnaise is "spicy."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's cool there's a band that took their name from LA Confidential.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks to this thread derail I looked up "Is the speed of light constant?"

The short answer: Not really, but that's due to outside forces working on it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Lone Badger posted:

You can also build a solar plant that uses steam. Instead of expensive photoelectric panels use cheap mirrors to concentrate the sunlight, and use the heat from that to boil water.

Aren't those how those giant solar farms out in the SoCal/Nevada deserts work?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There were a few odd starts and evolutionary dead ends with sharks along the way, the helicoprion (whorl toothed shark) is probably the best example of evolution having a crack at sharks and not quite getting it right

We pretty much only have their teeth left in the fossil record because shark bones are cartilaginous and don't fossilize well so we've pretty much had to guess what they look like, they've been confusing palaeontologists for a while

Thanks for reminding me that squid fossils are near-impossible to find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-K7yuhSxA

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Isn't obsidian also incredibly sharp? Break it in just the right way & it has an edge that's measured in microns.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I was going to make a snide remark about not knowing one of the most famous Japanese swordsman but then I realized I read The Book of the Five Rings as a 13 year-old and the Weeb Alarm went off when I pointed it at the mirror.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Incredible David & Goliath vibes.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Scaramouche posted:

In the Philippines fast fried pigs face is a bar food (sisig?). If you get an eyelash in yours they say you'll get lucky that night.

Sisig has many parts of the pig that isn't seen in other dishes, including parts from the head. Pig ears are included, as well as sometimes pig brains.

When my mom was about to go into hospice she asked for sisig. As a dutiful son I made it for her. It was a real hassle to cook those pig ears, especially after I had to purée everything anyway so she could swallow it.

There were no eyelashes in the dish I made for her.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My mom was definitely cooler than Chloe.

Also :lol: I forgot we have a Chloe emoji :chloe:.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
While They had surgery on a ape is funny, Cast All Medals into Spearheads of Revolution is straight :black101:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/krizisonline/status/1518610687978659840?s=21&t=yYrz2ybjQY4Fm9Vvwr-sHQ
Getting some real 🇵🇭 pride seeing this.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
To be fairrrrr Filipinos score lowest in terms of health compared to other Asian countries.

I blame Spain's influence. And thier propensity to fry a lot of stuff with little in terms of vegetables.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Lumpia is like tamales & empanadas where you just dedicate a day making a gigantic batch, then freeze stuff that isn't being immediately used.

I also learned to cook lumpia in an air fryer, you want to lightly brush the outside with oil.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

tribbledirigible posted:

I feel there needs to be a distinction made here. The crispy mana from heaven is called lumpia(ng) shanghai. If some motherfucker offers you lunpia(ng) sariwa, strike them down where they stand.

I like lumpia sariwa, but I do make it a point to verify which version a restaurant has before ordering. Luckily 9/10 times it's lumpia shanghai as it's the more popular one.

Mods please change the thread title to You have to ASK for lumpia sariwa

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you feel lumpia in your balls immediately consult a physician, as it may be a sign of testicular cancer.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pancit bihon is probably my favorite, followed by pancit canton. Pancit palabok was my mom's favorite version but IMO the shrimp flavor (especially by using ground-up dried shrimp) was a little too intense.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you can look up into the sky and see constellations you are gifted enough to decipher magic eye images.

Sorry I don't make the rules here.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/qudachindia/status/1523643707001643008?s=21&t=FS4QmHalLzITP0JJ2Lpuxg

Apparently black holes can flip their magnetic field.

Neat!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think all the issues is that this is translated from Hindi as the original site is from India.

For those that don't want gabled English:
https://twitter.com/cosmos4u/status/1522302756719144962?s=21&t=FS4QmHalLzITP0JJ2Lpuxg

Mods please change thread title to We whitethorn beryllium discussing the magnetic tract of achromatic holes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I expected him to pop positive for horse meth or something. That was just such an incredible final run.

I think there was a rumor of that but in the opposite direction: Final Strike was so hyped up they gave him tranquilizers that wore off just as the race was underway.