Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Constipated posted:

That's the driver's blood types isn't it? If they got in a severe enough crash where you had to know their blood types right then and there, you'd think the car would be so badly crumpled that you wouldn't even see it. Kinda pointless in my opinion, put that poo poo on their helmets or something.

They were also on their racing suits and helmets. But if you can think of a number of times to write potentially life-saving advice on a person and their deathtrap racing machine that is too many, by all means complain about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Avocados posted:

Seriously how giant are those chunks at 0:18? :stonk:

Car-sized to house-sized. And they're not even close to being the most dangerous thing about an eruption like that one.

tentative8e8op posted:

Simply spectacular. :aaa:

Did they know there was an eruption due at that moment, or was their perfect framing and timing simply good luck?

Just some good luck I think. "Oh hey that thing over there is smoldering, this'll be cool to show my mates back ho-LY poo poo WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Lavender posted:

Man, I always though the cloud displacement was anime poo poo. What an amazing thing to see.

There's tons of footage - literal tons of celluloid, I mean that sincerely - of clouds being displaced by massive explosions.

The US Nuclear Test Program that started in 1945 was one of the best documented military endeavors in the history of ever. This is an example of one of the well filmed shots, Operation HARDTACK Shot Poplar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6PGZ4yiJqY

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Palpek posted:

Are you joking? This is how high jump was performed before that one guy started jumping backwards and kept doing it despite numerous disualifications until it got accepted and spread everywhere. The current high jumping method is badass, not the other way round.

What with the big padded bag? Bunch of softcocks.

it's the lack of any safety equipment that makes it badass

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Prison? Spy agency headquarters? Reform school for the worst of the worst juvenile offenders?

it's a swimming pool. Specifically, it's a swimming pool in Melbourne, Australia. It's named after one of our Prime Ministers from the 60s - the one that drowned.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JoelJoel posted:

His risk is obviously higher because of the sheer mass he's lifting, but most injuries occur because people don't know what they are doing, or learn wrong the add too much weight, or just gently caress around like idiots. When done properly all the major compound lifts are very safe when done right (which can be harder and take longer to learn than many realise).

In general lifting at all is pretty bad as. The fact that we hang out in a room and move heavy as gently caress things around to the point of exhaustion and eat crazy amounts of food to pack on mass for whatever end is metal, imo.

Consider the fact that from a resume of "Lift heavy things and be good at it", Arnold Schwarzenegger parlayed that into an A-list movie career spanning four decades and a stint running the world's fifth largest economy. Lifting owns is what I'm saying, lift more weights.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Say Nothing posted:

I'd like to believe this was an intentional shot.

There's a really simply explanation for this that doesn't involve bullets colliding in mid-air. The bullet that has been penetrated has never been fired - there's no marks along the length of it that they get from being crammed through a barrel that's not quite big enough at very high pressure. So it would have probably been in someone's pocket in a clip, and saved their life when it got in the way. Still bad-rear end.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

I can see that. The one doing the penetrating was briefly heated in the barrel and has all kinds of carbon baked onto it that prevented it from oxidizing so badly?

Perhaps? I am not a bullet scientist.

Could be, could be as simple as them being made by different manufacturers with more or less copper in the jacket. I'd assume that the individual bullets are from either side on the battle, which means a .303 British and a 7.97mm Mauser round probably, and manufactured in England and Germany respectively.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ultrafilter posted:

Also, the site's not responding right now, but there's a very nice scale visualization of the solar system where the moon is one pixel. It'll take you about twenty minutes to scroll through by hand.

I learnt today that when you press the little button that turns off clicky scrolling on my mousewheel, you can get it to freely spin very fast. At about 12-15x the speed of light, in the case of this thing :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phlegmish posted:

Isn't Queensland the redneck state of Australia? That's basically the best thing that's happened to him so far.

Queensland is like a lot of the worst parts of Florida, Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi. He's basically most :krad: five year old in his county right now.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

karn1635 posted:

New Okay GO! music video lookin' good.

It really, really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWGJA9i18Co

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Totally TWISTED posted:

Brazil.

Not trying to be funny but that's literally the reason.

Yeah if you don't chase the petty criminals down, how are you going to extort a bribe out of them?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Soulex posted:

I think the guy ended up beaten to an inch of his life. Maybe prison. I know he didn't die though. You don't gently caress with an Albanian family. They aren't like the ones off taken, but they are some vengeful more fuckers. And second or third cousins are close family, so everybody comes to the party.

Someone once asked Chopper Read who the group he feared the most was. He said the Albanian mafia in Melbourne were the scariest people he had ever met. Direct quote: "If they cannot kill you, your mother will do".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Soulex posted:

Didn't we invent rocket power from war? That's kinda handy.

Nope, just some insane European chemists with odd numbers of fingers. War was the impetus for making it more than a curiosity.

Google a book called Ignition! and join us in the PYF Dangerous Chemicals thread.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

There were some issues.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Two Finger posted:

loving retarded issues by people who should have known better, this is a construction issue not a usage issue

Maybe read up the article I posted and you'll see that the original plan called for corrosion protection and the bean counters told them not to include it.

quote:

Lots of things have been left off the LCS in order to keep the price down. The list of deleted items includes something called a “Cathodic Protection System,” which is designed to prevent electrolysis

Memento has a new favorite as of 09:13 on May 22, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Octavion posted:

that dude's on steroids

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ghost Rider was the only comics I ever liked, but even that won't be enough to wash the 30 minutes of the Nicholas Cage Ghost Rider movie I watched. I never really liked comic book movies to begin with, but that one solidified my position of never paying to see one ever. Like ever. Like ever ever ever.

Deadpool was OK I guess.

I really liked the comics as well but the only reason I watched the movie is because I'm in it. They filmed the movie in my home town so a bunch of guys from my martial arts club applied as extras and a few of us got in. You can see the back of my head for a few frames in the scene where Cage is dragged into prison.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

treiz01 posted:

Does anyone who isn't British have the remotest idea what the gently caress is going on here?

Considering that those are a bunch of cricket "ball is thrown and then caught in a difficult or unexpected fashion" posted after a whole bunch of baseball "ball is thrown and then caught in a difficult or unexpected fashion", I feel that regardless of your knowledge of cricket you could probably have figured out what was going on there.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheDon01 posted:

Is that a myostatin thing or are all roos that jacked?

It's myostatin-related muscular hypertrophy. Basically any mammal can get it, and there's like 50 million kangaroos in Australia, so it would be pretty likely to turn up every now and then.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheDon01 posted:

Imagine a myostatin gorilla :stare:

I know that whippets with that condition usually end up dying young of heart disease, their hearts grow out of proportion as well. It probably happens to all animals with it, eventually, but maybe earlier in already muscle-bound animals like gorillas. So if they do exist, they probably die in infancy or aren't viable births.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Panfilo posted:

Why is having an oversized heart so bad? I heard this is common with people that have gigantism. I'd think having a football sized heart would give you excellent circulation for physical activity.

I think the muscles growing too large can impinge on the proper function of the valves, and it can have problems getting enough oxygen from the blood vessels on the outside to feed itself. Not a doctor clearly.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

johnnyratbastard posted:

Oh poo poo, don't turn this whole thing into a lamington throwing argument...

There really is a long and storied tradition of claiming things are Australian when they have any tenuous link to us at all. But we'll flip flop on it in a heartbeat - Russell Crowe is 100% Australian when he's winning Oscars, but when he's throwing phones at hotel staff, nahh, he's a Kiwi.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

princecoo posted:

Crocs are differnt to gators in that crocs don't give a singular gently caress who you are or what you're doing, they'll ruin your poo poo.

Well it was a freshwater croc as well, they're significantly more docile compared to their saltwater cousins. Freshies are generally 5-7 feet long and will eat fish and amphibians and the like and run away from things the same size or bigger than them. Salties are generally 12-15 feet long and know for a fact they're the biggest baddest motherfucker in the room, no matter the room. The biggest saltwater in history was slightly over 20 feet long, and weighed 2300 pounds.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's like a scene out of the best action movie you've ever seen.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

Free internet comments were the mistake of our generation :(

(Seriouspost BTW.)

Yeah they decided that Web 2.0 would be all crowd-sourced and discussion-in-the-comment-section for content, and it basically fostered the idea that one person's opinion has the same worth as another person's expertise.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/C1FlMTw.gifv

Watch the whole thing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He finally cracked it, good on him. He finished either 2nd or 3rd in every competition since 2012 I think.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

dude getting ready for cleganebowl

get hype

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In those days the amount of...ah, let's just say...chemical enhancement of body builders just didn't exist. If they used steroids they didn't use much.

Sorry are you saying that Arnold Schwarzenegger was a clean athlete? This was not the case, very emphatically.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Synthol's pretty crazy because actual professional bodybuilders* use tiny, sub-mL amounts of it to just pad out little bits of muscle that aren't perfectly symmetrical or to smooth over scar tissue sections if they've had an injury. So that turns into "body builders use synthol" which then becomes "I should use synthol to look like a body builder" and then you get extreme cases where people literally have oil leaking out of their bodies and nerve damage from inflating themselves like carnival balloons.

EoinCannon posted:

Body dysmorphia is pretty hosed

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheBigAristotle posted:

I saw some Instagram post from a friend recently about how traveling with young children is easiest if you get the bulkhead row. As a tall goon, I was livid. Leave that row for us!! :mad:

I am both tall and kid-having, I lay full claim to the bulkhead row.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Orange skies, even when you're somewhere safe, are so unsettling.

Bonus surreal:

I think they based the orange skies in the new Bladerunner movie on that dust storm.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/Q92gz4P.mp4

Orca smacking the poo poo out of a stingray, because it was there. Orcas are jerks.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't tell if the players on the other team are trying to congratulate him or kill him.

Trying to make sure no-one dies. If the dude holding up the guy who jumped drops him, he will spear straight onto his head. And he's a rugby player, so that's probably around 240 pounds to the dome - guys have been crippled by that before.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chitoryu12 posted:

The military will canvass an area miles wide with helicopters and dozens or hundreds of soldiers endlessly just to find a single dropped pistol or pair of night vision goggles for fear of enemies or civilians getting them. Leaving behind gear except in absolute emergencies is frowned upon, to put it mildly.

The reason that chitoryu12 posted that is because that's literally what happened during the Afghanistan conflict. He left out the part where it cost four soldiers their lives.

The Slithery D posted:

Thanks for reminding me of this bit of epic stupidity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/world/middleeast/27iraq.html

Here's what happened. My battalion was being moved mid-tour from the area south of Kirkuk to Mosul. Blackhawks land at a COP to pick up some soldiers and move them to FOB Warrior for further onward movement. En route, one of the pilots or crew drops his loving M9 pistol outside the helicopter into the moondust at night. (Rumor said it was a pilot who hadn't secured it with his lanyard after taking a piss.)

My company, already living at FOB Warrior and pulling the QRF mission gets the dumbest loving assignment of all time. Go to the specified grid and look for the M9. At night. In a desert crisscrossed by irrigation canals. Care to guess how many seconds after dropping the pistol they though to grab a grid, and how fast they were moving? Yeah.

So one of my buddies and his platoon go out look for the thing for an hour, and head back.

So then some genius, and I would love to know if it was at my BN ops or the aviation BN/BDE, TASKS TWO loving KIOWAS TO GO LOOK FOR THE M9 FROM THE AIR, WITH THEIR OPTICS, AT NIGHT. I don't know how long they tried this asshattery, but at some point they crashed into each other. The same loving platoon from my company went back out, secured the aircraft and bodies, and waited for EOD to come take care of the hellfires and other fun stuff sitting near/in burning fuel and then the recovery vehicles.

I would have heard if they ever executed anyone over this, so I guess no one was sufficiently punished. The most infuriating thing about the Army is leaders who can't adapt TTPs to different situations or understand why we do things a certain way and why it's completely asinine in changed circumstances. Some dipshit decided he needed to do the closest thing to a hands across the desert he could for a missing sensitive item, and four men died.

A week later the insurgency found that M9 and that's why we have ISIS now.

(The above based on testimony of the QRF platoon leader and what he was told at the time. I suppose it's remotely possible some enemy action was actually responsible, but in any case it happened while they were circling on a fool's errand someone ordered them to perform.)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Otteration posted:

At first I just thought it was just a scene from the new breakaway "Sort of Showing Some Skin and Mildly Uncomfortable", but then, wow, cool!

Actually, what's it from?

They have obstacles like that in things like the Spartan Race or Tough Mudder.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

tribbledirigible posted:

"Amazing looking ship though. Looks like a fish, moves like a fish, steers like a cow."

It's funny, I was just thinking about how that thing is an invitation to total existence failure.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vitor takes +200 damage from rear leg front kicks to the face from southpaws.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/AnxiousWaryBinturong.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/62SJ5Ux.gifv