Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RabbitWizard posted:

I saw a documentation once about how old films taught how to react to a nuclear bomb. The slogan was "If you see the flash: duck and cover!". Under your table at school or next to a curbstone. So yeah, there sure was a time when no one knew how to react (not that you could in a useful way).

Fake edit: Hey, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

Real edit: After reading the wiki entry for the movie, covering yourself with a piece of paper could really help with burns from the blast. So i guess you could live a day longer if you did it.

If you survive the initial blast you can trudge around for a day or two and properly dispose of your less fortunate civilians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

This has got to be from the k-hole.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sulphix posted:

My high-school's library was rebuilt during the 70s in this style. Does not match any of the other school buildings around it and is known for being one of the ugliest structures in the town.

I went to a junior college that was entirely brutalist, it was like that Seinfeld ep where Kramer wanted to make his apt. into levels but all concrete and on a much bigger scale.

The best thing about that style is imagining nature retaking it after the collapse of society, which if you look for it you can find a lot of structures that already look like this. I'm phone posting or I'd offer examples.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Istari posted:

My high school had a new building put in that was brutalist, and 1 storey taller than any other buildings in the school (most were single storey, only a couple were 2-storey). To make it look less harsh, they painted it purple and lime green. It was hideous.

Cobra Commander will have words with you for breaking the purple wall.

e: and a picture

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

I meant in the sense of like having one of the biggest upper limits for weight possible. My frame may be compact but it can only hold so much muscle, y'know? It's an ugly truth that when you're smaller, no matter how swole you are, you'll get wrecked by a bigger dude with a greater reach in the vast majority of cases no matter how well trained you are. We all love David vs. Goliath but the reality is that we love it because most of the time Goliath wins by a sizable margin.

Shorter lifters have a huge advantage. At least starting out. If you're on the lanky side getting in to lifting is something of a mess.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

It's like y'all are wholly incapable of actually processing what I wrote. I know short guys have an advantage and I'm actually impressed to see how much that Ed Coan could lift, but that's not what I'm talking about-- I'm talking about the real upper limits of what's possible. Guys like Ed Coan may be great but they're also the exception due to the raw physics of taller-yet-still-reasonably-compact guys being able to put on more muscle fiber if both of them train equally well.

Oh. Sorry I misunderstood. I have a complex.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

Yeah, this. And Russia has had some even crazier tank prototype tanks than that picture, hence the question.

After the resurgence of the orthodox church and homophobia they're mostly strapping heebie-gbs to the front of their tanks.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dear Prudence posted:

:ohdear: He's not going to make it!

That's what I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmzsTOMMYFg

He totally did though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Buttonhead posted:

Looks like she was killed by Goldfinger's younger, poorer brother, Concretefinger.

Haha. That or Carbonitefinger.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

IslamoNazi posted:

This flip is amazing. If it was in a movie it would ruin the immersion for being too impossible.

I know Kung Fu

*cue Juno Reactor*

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

El Cid posted:

Which episode of South Park is this from?

The one where Terrence and Phillip get locked up in GitMo and the Canadian Air Force makes a show of force with their one plane (made out of an old Quonset hut) and gets blamed when a responding wing of Raptors gets blown out of the sky by a heavy mist.

e: it's probably telling that there is Canadian mist in this post because I want it to be later than it is

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

blunt for century posted:

Or between a sculptor and an architect. The architect has to worry about everything staying load-bearing, or else people will accidentally die :v:

Best of both worlds here.

Also this one.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

There's a really simply explanation for this that doesn't involve bullets colliding in mid-air. The bullet that has been penetrated has never been fired - there's no marks along the length of it that they get from being crammed through a barrel that's not quite big enough at very high pressure. So it would have probably been in someone's pocket in a clip, and saved their life when it got in the way. Still bad-rear end.

I can see that. The one doing the penetrating was briefly heated in the barrel and has all kinds of carbon baked onto it that prevented it from oxidizing so badly?

Perhaps? I am not a bullet scientist.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nordick posted:

Wait, seriously? gently caress, here I've lived my whole life thinking they're actual literal super heroes. Everything I believe in is a lie! :saddowns:

It's a proper name.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Seanbaby put it best:

Seanbaby was a treasure of the web 1.0

Also, iirc the guy Uwe Boll didn't have the balls to gently caress with.

Beat up Lowtax and then loving duck out when a funny man who actually knows how to fight challenges you.

Talentless German coward.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Frostwerks posted:

Don't sign your posts.

What size is your party hat?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A snake catches a baby rabbit, momma rabbit comes flying outta nowhere and goes all Bruce Lee on its rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MHUlVIJy94

There is no conclusion.

Does the rabbit kill the snake? Does the baby rabbit die?

I hope the rabbit kicked its guts out but poo poo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

The Chive manages to smell like a gym sock in a Buffalo Wild Wings through visuals alone, an impressive feat

The best thing is the local late night advertising for unofficial Chive chapters.

I don't honestly know how or why this is possible.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VendaGoat posted:

Dude! The air and space museum put in new things?

Gonna have to visit my friends soon.

I'm kind of concerned about the juxtaposition of that rad sled and a dirty communist fuel tank or whatever that is.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ajheretic666 posted:

Looks to be the display commemorating the Apollo/Soyuz Test Project, which itself was pretty badass. US/Soviet co-operation in space while the Cold War was still going on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo%E2%80%93Soyuz_Test_Project

Okay, yeah that qualifies as badass. My bad.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ozz81 posted:

More :siren:BRIAN BLESSED:siren: commentating a snooker game - one of my favorite videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP11L9jRW94

A real human being, and a real hero

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ4-v9ujbJo

god I love that guy

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Minarch posted:

seems pretty irresponsible to show people how to fire those guns imo. What if some nutjob uses one to shoot up a school?

Given the mentality of an average school shooter they'd ram too many bags of propellant in and blow themselves into a fine pink mist.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Whoa

Wanna see a cat go in one of those.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dpack_1 posted:

Serious question / thought i just had.

How big does a building have to be before it has to literally take into account the curvature of the Earth?

Brick and mortar can deal with it easy enough but steel frames and siding, there's no room for play in the materials there.

Steel is plenty flexible. Skyscrapers sway in the wind for example.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Not to speak ill of the dead but does anyone have a coherent picture of how Yelchin died?

That press release was hard to parse.

Vehicular exhaustion?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

His brick mailbox, actually.

That's terrible, his agent should have just said as much though.

Sounded like he'd done something awful.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kaskadan posted:

There is not enough love for this.
I wonder if there was a bowl of petunias nearby

Let me get a pen and that napkin. We can do the math on this.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VanSandman posted:

I see why people used to worship volcanoes as god when I see pictures like this.

Remember that time a kid fell in and the next day it stopped?

Because that flaming murder hole is back on and I have an idea.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SneakyFrog posted:

Commander Piper :catbert:

Orange is the New Bark

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Aw he's gonna die in his 30s-40s isn't he? :smith:

I hope he's drinking at young Andre levels at least. That might slow down the growth or at least make it fun.

quote:

"He has ADHD and intermediate explosive disorder. When he gets mad, he's mad," said his mum.

preview edit: do not give this lad alcohol unless he is surrounded by beefy roid head wrasslers he can use as toys

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

There really is a long and storied tradition of claiming things are Australian when they have any tenuous link to us at all. But we'll flip flop on it in a heartbeat - Russell Crowe is 100% Australian when he's winning Oscars, but when he's throwing phones at hotel staff, nahh, he's a Kiwi.

You still get Mel, birthplace be damned

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

This is super funny if you've ever had a MMA dude demonstrate a full nelson on you but didn't know to tap out because you weren't into that poo poo.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cnut posted:

Anybody know where this is? Pretty badass!

I'm just going to go off the cuff with what I learned from the history channel before they became the hitler channel and then the dumb idiot channel but;

It's a fortification (probably NA, civil war era or maybe even revolutionary era) and the pointy bits are an attempt to use geometry to deflect cannon shots. Pretty futile in the end but it works in theory.

All the history nerds dogpile me now with theh specifics (please)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

it was a where question as opposed to what friend

Yeah I clicked on the link above my post and yeah.

HOWEVER, that kind of architecture is really cool and interesting. Whether it's bad-rear end or not is debatable because the bomb-making fellas kind of outdid the fortification guys.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

There's a certain asymmetry in that particular competition.

Reading about the endgame of the fortifications in Colorado or wherever that you see in War Games or Stargate and the Russian nuke targets (which may or may not have ended up where they wanted but different debate v0v) you'd want to be on Air Force One rather than trying to hide under some dirt.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dienes posted:

I thought it was less about deflecting incoming fire and more about the radial points allowing the fort to fire anywhere in the area surrounding the fort.

I started reading the link to the actual structure in that picture and it looked like it was that and having non-perpendicular walls that would deflect vertically as well as the layout catching a few just from the sharp edges.

Either way the geometry didn't change the fact that cannons could take a part a building designed to be secure from archers and rams and maybe a trebuchet that would catch fire after siege day 3 somehow. And when you get a series of ICBMs hitting one spot on the globe over and over again well

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just out of curiosity, whatever made you think it was from North America? I don't see anything particularly American about it.

In the civil war or the revolution they had pointy fortresses.

One of the more interesting facts about the forts was that the sleeping spaces seemed short to modern tourists. People were afraid to sleep lying down in one of those old forts because being horizontal was anathema, somehow.

Aaaaand I can kind of identify with that supposition but it's funny that our historical misconceptions extend to "people were hella short back then" "something something display armor something" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJMtGhqPCW0

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NLJP posted:

Star forts: when mathemagicians rules the battlefield

It's funny because they didn't

They got owned by a European Jew physicist

Eventually, I mean not immediately or directly

It wasn't what he intended but eh

Adbot