Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Denise Mueller-Korenek rides bicycle 183.9 mph
That's average speed over the last mile, so peak was probably a bit higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lady Disdain posted:

My brother did this through his abdomen with the handle of a bicycle, after the rubber grip had come off, so it was just a metal cylinder. When he pulled the handle out (or rather, lifted his body off the handle), the plug of human flesh was still inside the tube; it had taken a perfect circle out of him like a cookie cutter.

I think I know your brother. Are you from Cleveland?

Then again it’s probably somewhat common.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Aramoro posted:

If you want badass running check out this film on the Berkley Marathon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZdsqbcGTU

The Berkley Marathon is an extemely hard ultrarunning event where the start is signalled by a man blowing on a conch shell anytime in a 12 hour window, the course is off trail and you need to collect pages from book to prove you've been to each checkpoint. Every time someone completes it the course is changed to get harder. The current course is somewhere in the region of 120 miles which you need to complete in under 60 hours.

Barkley Marathons. Here's a really good documentary on it, with a bunch of time spent interviewing the guy who started it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQmoxlUy33A

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Proteus Jones posted:

I actually did manage to score a jar Red Star last night (along with eggs and unsalted butter!), but thanks. I'll definitely take a look at it.

Start a (faux) sourdough culture with some of it right now and then you won't run out.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

“Hey anthropologists, stop calling cavemen primitive!”
“Sorry, sorry I’m trying to delete it”

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Beachcomber posted:

This is a real building and not a Belinski painting?

Beksiński, and that was exactly my first thought too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nordick posted:

PYF Bad rear end Pictures: Cast All Medals into Spearheads of Revolution

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Bloop posted:

THOSE ARE ALSO FAKE
yah but u never know

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The ones with kids spilling their drinks are all accurate though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's badass that Mick Foley survived that but it is not badass that it happened or the treatment of professional wrestlers by Vince McMahon.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Android Apocalypse posted:

For those that don't want gabled English:
??

You're not making this any easier.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Of course there are several goons who understand horse racing in detail.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's the bullet ant. The pic is a bull-ant. Bull-Ant's look much fiercer, with their huge pincers, but any pain from their bite is purely from the physical aspects of a bite. The bullet-ant delivers it's pain from venom.

Nah, like most ants, bull ants have plenty of venom in their sting. The bite serves to get a grip in order to sting, even if it is an uncomfortable bite.
https://australian.museum/learn/animals/insects/bull-ants/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmecia_gulosa

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It reminds me of this moose just plowing through a deep snowbank like it's not there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GEhM2Byk7w

I got charged by a moose once and I thought surely I was safe because I was up on a road and she was 100 yd away up to her neck in water. The wake coming off her chest looked like a car hitting those water barrels at the base of overpasses and it was like she teleported onto the road coming for me.

And people just try to walk up to these fuckin things all the time.

HenryJLittlefinger has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Jul 11, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

someone sync up the "IT'S FUCKIN BEDTIME" clip to this

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm the three remaining inches of suspension travel

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Inceltown posted:

You being 3 inches is stretching things a bit.

goddammit

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's called spronking. Pretty much the whole deer family does it as a way to signal being super healthy and probably the wrong individual for predators to chase.

Pronking. Or stotting.

That was just a jump, though. Elk don't really pronk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49fz_WKBrXo

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

lol is that todd

a few years back me and a buddy saw a squirrel miss a branch and plummet to its death on a sidewalk. another dude also saw it and was shaken by it pretty bad. he said "should..should we call someone??" and I said "naw man a crow will be along pretty soon" and he was not happy with that answer.

HenryJLittlefinger has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Sep 27, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

WORLD STAR

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ekuNNN posted:

"A nearly complete 1st century BCE carnyx found in 2004 at Tintignac, France (the one in the left picture, with a reconstruction in the right). Fashioned as a snarling boar, the carnyx was a war horn used by the Iron Age Celts between c. 200 BCE and c. 200 CE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRIQp4qZrrE

It'd be funny if this isn't how it's played at all. I like to think the celts had some kind of rousing jaunty tune played to keep their spirits up.

Also holy poo poo 65,000 people showed up to he a r that thing played.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Male cervids are insanely strong, even more so when rutting. I'd bet that when the loser decayed enough, our boy there could twist and pull enough to remove the whole head. Especially if the loser's body got caught in a tree or fence. I've cut a lot of deer heads off and when you cut through the muscle and connective tissue down to the spine, it only takes a couple twists to disarticulate the head.

That does look like a very clean cut though, I'd expect a bunch of skin hanging.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Beachcomber posted:

Please tell me you're a butcher or taxidermist. Hunter maybe? Forestry service?

Hunter. I take all my heads in for chronic wasting disease testing.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Not yet, fortunately. I know quite a few people that have, though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's still unclear how likely it is that prions can be transmitted by eating meat. There's no conclusive evidence, but the consequences of that happening are terrible (Creutzfelt-Jakob). There is one study that indicated feeding meat from a positive deer to a macaque transmitted the prions but that's all I'm aware of. Brain and spinal tissue are more likely to cause transmission, and there's always the possibility that the butchering process could cause contamination, but it's not difficult to avoid that. I wouldn't knowingly eat a positive animal.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtYEz4OKCn8

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OwlFancier posted:

No I know a jackalope is a rabbit but I vaguely recall there being a rat based one.

Well there's the deer mouse, which is a mouse, and the mouse deer, which I think is not a deer at all, and is definitely not a mouse. None of them have antlers but mouse deer have fangs so that's pretty badass I guess.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Panfilo posted:

No I think antlers are related to hairs, like a hair that grows out as one giant chunk.

Or is that horns?

Antlers are mostly bone, horns are keratin sheaths, similar to hair and nails.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hell yeah, ladies are doing very cool poo poo on skates these days

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

3/4 Greek mountain bandits in 1923 shaved on the daily

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Very pro click

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think that might be That Fat Freerunner, pro follow on IG

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm pretty sure all I need to defeat a battalion of horses is a few turkeys and the horses will kill themselves on fences in fear.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was thinking about watching the machinist, is it good?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

We got a long yard to mow
And some tall grass to get square

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SwissDonkey posted:

My man was literally in coming out of the green room when the flog stole his board (edit: actually you may be right, the video is cut too short at the start), it was his wave. With the speed of that wave and old mate holding the board, I think the leash ripped.

Edit2: And yeah as above, my sport is MTB. The more immediate stakes conjure a different etiquette.

Oh yah total fuckin beater, bro, what a stroke, fuckin jerries makin bogus traffic and boofin the good lines

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Milo and POTUS posted:

One would think pants a good idea for this sort of job but you'd be wrong

But it's grey toga season.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

nesamdoom posted:

Aim aside, I can't think of a reason to mush nails together. There are bigger nails. Also, I'd have been fired from any job over doing this. Hammer flips are fun, but if you're good at it then you've not been hammering nails enough.
E: it's still impressive. I could probably drive them in together, but def not separately.

What the gently caress is this bad post

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Aim aside, I can't think of a reason to use heavy machinery this way. There are better utensils. Also, I'd have been fired from any job over doing this. Hotdogs are fun, but if you're good at it then you've not been loading enough.
E: it's still impressive. I could probably make a hotdog with my hands, but def not with a loader.

https://i.imgur.com/xAPJqZC.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Carthag Tuek posted:

there was a clip on vine or something like 10+ years ago with a guy in an excavator dumping a tiny bit of dirt into a kid's toy truck but lol searchig it now theres a billion recently uploaded videos with lame thumbnails so im gonna stick to posting about the memory of it. it was a good video

I see it pop up on instagram from time to time and I always stop and watch it. It's so good.