Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

TheBigAristotle posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laconic_phrase#Spartan

Fun fact: I have Spartan ancestry

Sad fact: I will never be as witty :smith:

I can see you've inherited a Spartan sense of humour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

mrkillboy posted:

How about some badass engineering: the highest bridge in the world.

Like other suspension bridges, a pilot cable must cross the span first to act as a guide before the main cables can be installed. Because they could not use helicopters or boats like other bridges, rockets were used instead.

Because of the perspective in the first photo the right-hand side of the bridge looks like it's just floating in mid-air.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

A flag is a bit of fabric. YW America

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Do you often find yourself getting upset about certain fabrics or materials? Do certain combinations of colours fill you with rage or other inexplicable emotions? Be ashamed no more - there's a place where you'll feel at home! Come to the US of A, third left off the motorway's Charlestown exit, and we'll make sure that you never feel ashamed of your fabric-anger again! Disclaimer: The US of A is not a licensed therapist or medical care centre.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Actually while we're on the topic of flags, which flag do you guys think is sexiest? I want to bang the Thai flag so hard but there's something about the Georgian (the country not the state lol) flag that makes me a little curious, like I don't swing that way but sometimes I wonder what it'd be like, you know? Fwiw the French flag does absolutely nothing for me, people go on and on about how much they jerk off to it but I really just don't see the appeal. What do you guys reckon

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Framptonlive posted:

A lot of people seem to have really weird reactions to death. What's the big deal? Bang me, eat me, grind me up into little pieces, throw me in the river. Who gives a poo poo? You're dead.

what a nuanced understanding of the myriad different ways that human beings confront their own mortality. please tell me more about the wisdom you have accumulated in your 15 years alive

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

"War is cool" - literally a child

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I ain't scared of no orca.

Can they do this?

No. Can you?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Between Reddit, Facebook, and whatever dumb image sites people go to, I'd say that most things are covered. When was the last time SA produced content for SA alone? Or produced content at all? Your post is like 5 years out of date

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

I'm not saying these guys aren't bad rear end, running sub 6 minute splits on varied terrain for 50 miles is pretty bad rear end but running ultras and beyond is so loving stupid, like crossfit levels of stupid. You're quite literally killing yourself as you run.

Is it really that bad? I'd be interested to read an article or two. I had a quick look and read one by the Washington Post but it didn't seem too crazy. Is it worse than drinking alcohol, taking soft drugs, or just spending your life moving between seated positions and lying positions?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or disingenuous or anything, I'd just be interested in quantifying the relative damage.

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Dec 6, 2017

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Puns are no laughing matter

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Thank god this cracked rock epidemic isn't happening in MY backyard

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

The player who catches the ball also has a lot of trust in his teammate to still hold onto the ball when he's already way past the point where his body knows is normal for a catch like that. He doesn't actually free up a hand (in case the guy holding him slips) until it's already too late

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Polaron posted:

What the hell is going on in that last photo geologically?

eroded limestone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsingy_de_Bemaraha_Strict_Nature_Reserve

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Rene Magritte museum.

This is photoshopped, isn't it? Another photo of the museum has a very different cloud design

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2009/jun/09/rene-magritte-surreal-art-museum

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

re'spect all cat's

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Apparently from The Emergency Bouzouki Player by Andrew Brel.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Finally, the nerds at NASA have flipped the script: instead of dying inside the things they build, you can die with one inside you

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

lmao the base on that flying buttplug is way too small. if they fly to the moon they aint coming back anytime soon

the problem with correctly proportioned and functionally safe buttplugs is that they are not very aerodynamic

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Jedit posted:

And he'll never be "... and you did all that without the only superstar talent in your band dying and forcing you to think of something else to do" cool.

i think he'll survive, ya dweeblord

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

i apologise in advance but i'm going to be the token loser who jumps into any discussion on video game music and post the clincher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5X69vREAg

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Kanine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAYfJckSEN0

the entire synthwave genre is incredibly badass and this video is one of the best synthwave music videos ever in my opinion

This has been passed about on the forums a bunch but it never hurts to post again for those who might not have seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv1ZN8c4_Gs

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Deutlich war Hitler kein Badmann

syscall girl posted:

Edit: ick

but seriously have you seen his bunker?

I was in Berlin in the 2000s and my gosh it was so sad

The bunker has been destroyed and inaccessible for decades though. Or do you just mean that it's sad that it's a car park..? Seems kind of fitting to me, gently caress that guy

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Jan 9, 2019

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

You wouldn't believe how many ukrainian civilians they went through before someone rustled up a spare tank

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

jobson groeth posted:

Just a friendly reminder, when they talk about wave height it is measured from the back of the wave rather than the front. The face of the wave is generally about twice the height of the back so that's a 160' wall of water there.

Do you have a link for this? I'm googling it and just getting more confused

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Slippery posted:

He did make a sonata, or something, titled Lick my rear end where I Fart or words to that effect though

ultrafilter posted:

Leck Mich Im Arsch, which was covered by Jack White and Insane Clown Posse.

leck mich im Arsch would be better translated as "kiss my arse", which is not what op is referring to. i think it's this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leck_mir_den_Arsch_fein_recht_sch%C3%B6n_sauber

quote:

"Leck mir den Arsch fein recht schön sauber" ("Lick my arse right well and clean")

e: both of which are apparently also now considered to have likely been written by someone called Wenzel Trnka

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 10:36 on Jan 30, 2019

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

funmanguy posted:

You are a very well disguised avshalom alt

the best way to uncover an avs alt is to leave a mild ariel sharon reference on the kitchen floor and turn the lights out. if you come back 10 minutes later and the floor is covered in shitposts, you've got an avs infestation

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

jobson groeth posted:

:same:

Guess being trained to fight can overcome some weight class issues.

the larger guy's training regime involved extensive walking trips to the fridge and toilet, interspersed with periods of high intensity sleeping

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

To be fair, it's not like there's an actual problem they're trying to solve, nor do most politicians actually care one way or another. Elections have been fought over and won by whomever can provide the most ruthless response to non-white asylum seekers coming to Australia by boat. It's just a tactic to win elections, both parties do it, and it's pretty effective. Unlike actually unpopular government initiatives (like all that surveillance/big brother poo poo), they're doing it because a significant number of Australians are (surprise surprise!) garbage humans and this is how democracy works

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Two meals for the price of one flight.

sydney dubai has 2 meals and it's still a poo poo

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

a bunch of wolverines is called a franchise

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean to be fair Australia burns down regularly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushfires_in_Australia#Major_bushfires_in_Australia

Sort by hectares burnt

e: I think the other large ones were also very different types of land being burnt, a lot of grassland and so forth. At least, I read that recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

whether you find the haka impressive or not it still feels like the range of examples of "masculine cool" most western cultures offer is pretty narrow