Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Der Kyhe posted:

They got some small citations

I read that and started thinking they got a parking ticket or a speeding ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Please do not post gifs of said magic eye videos without putting them behind spoiler tags though.
Turns out my epilepsy translates regular magic eye images just fine, but video magic eye stuff where its a moving pattern? instant nausea at best, couple of hours worth of postictal hangover recovery at worst. Either way, just dump some spoiler tags on it and give a heads up about not pressing it if you are epileptic.
Other than that, go for it.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The what now?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oh yeah that thing! I've been meaning to read that at some point. Just completely forgot about due to life happening.

But yeah, living with the wonders of involuntary unconscious breakdancing incidents is surprisingly chill, aside from the times where video games or the internet randomly try to kill me.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Gotta be the most whimsical term for epileptic seizures

Gotta have some fun with it. Otherwise its just a perpetual sense of dread and doom.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

marshmallow creep posted:

You reminded me of that one video game journalist who pointed out that Cyberpunk 2077 literally uses patterns designed to induce seizures as part of their mandatory Brain Dance sequence, and totally normal and balanced human beings responded by sending her more.

Oh yeah I had a talk with accessibility activist Ian Hamilton about that not too long ago, here have a link to the post I about that conversation in my little epilepsy thread (I'm very proud of having managed to turn my biggest weakness into a niche skill, sorry for the shilling/weird flex)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987999&pagenumber=3#post522720536

The part where people kept sending her more of that stuff could be due to either malice or ignorant referrals to similar content.

Malice because she showed a way for anonymous people on the internet to harm someone with repercussions (jokes on them, this can count as attempted murder if it hits her hard enough).
Ignorant referrals because people who don't "get it" won't realize that they are basically asking if it also hurts if they get punched in this similar but slightly different manner *punches*.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

ekuNNN posted:

A MAGA troll agreed to pay 100k to Kurt Eichenwald for giving him a seizure on purpose via twitter, to avoid being convicted of aggravated assault.
Assault by Twitter? Guilty plea expected in attack targeting Dallas author Kurt Eichenwald
A tweet containing an animated strobe image triggered an epileptic seizure and amounted to aggravated assault, prosecutors say.

And of course a bunch of nutjobs decided to give it a couple of extra tries:
from the article:
"Eichenwald has said that dozens of copycats on Twitter sent flashing images to him in the aftermath of the incident, adding that he had passed them along to authorities.

Authorities found a number of direct messages to the account where the first tweet originated that made reference to Eichenwald, according to a criminal complaint against Rivello. Two such messages read: “I hope this sends him into a seizure” and “let’s see if he dies.""

So yeah, if any of those had managed to kill him? (which to be clear here, they absolutely could have if for instance he was sitting on the toilet while checking his phone and the seizure sent him smacking head first into the floor)
I sincerely believe that would be a murder charge right there (or an attempted murder if he only just barely managed to survive through an extended hospital trip)

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I had a Swedish moose (elk?) come plowing out of the underbrush behind me and flee down the trail towards me with its calf (or maybe two calves, didn't really pay attention to the small ones at that point). It came round the corner some 10 meters behind me and I am so loving grateful that it took one look at me and my little dog, decided "nah you're good" and plowed off to the right toppling saplings and undergrowth instead of doing the same to me. I had like 20cm of space to maneuver on if I was going to forced to get out of its way.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
On the other hand, the Hubble telescope images never gave a photo-sensitive epileptic seizure. 2 of the 4 images from the JWST have.
Something about the way the post process the images is just oversaturating my brain and knocking me the gently caress around for some 3-5 hours.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oh don't worry I'm not taking this lying down. Already reached out to the contact link on the JWST site and I can tell you right now that getting a mail back saying that they've logged my mail as INCIDENT - PHOTOSENSITIVE EPILEPSY and will be getting back to me as soon as they can is a goddamn trip.
I mean, loving NASA is mailing me back saying that they actually give a poo poo about this and want to communicate with me about it. Goddamn that makes the 4 hours of feeling mega hungover kinda worth it.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

SerthVarnee posted:

Oh don't worry I'm not taking this lying down. Already reached out to the contact link on the JWST site and I can tell you right now that getting a mail back saying that they've logged my mail as INCIDENT - PHOTOSENSITIVE EPILEPSY and will be getting back to me as soon as they can is a goddamn trip.
I mean, loving NASA is mailing me back saying that they actually give a poo poo about this and want to communicate with me about it. Goddamn that makes the 4 hours of feeling mega hungover kinda worth it.

Just got a mail from NASA. They want to contact me further to ask for more feedback and insights about my epilepsy and how to mitigate the issue.

I'm just gonna spend a little while going absolutely apeshit over here because two weeks ago I was a nobody living on medical disability retirement and today I'm doing consultancy work for NASA.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oh I got no problem spouting waves of words at them about my theories and potential changes. Got a whole thread going about that sort of thing after all.
But I'm gonna let them lead with how they want to approach this and not stuff them full of details and suggestions before they even open their mouths. A lot of my suggestions will also have to be tailored to the process and guidelines they use when they decide the color and richness of each given element in their images. From what I've understood of the process, they take an entirely infrared image (which would just be black to human eyes) and color each element a specific color based on where it is on the periodic table. Whether or not the richness and density is also determined by details observed in the image or just down to human input is not something I know.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Motherfuck. That's where my nightmare got that particular character from! (it was not a good night's sleep to go through a scenario where you are facing off against that guy at optimal distance for him, awkwardly holding a wood chopping axe while standing in a corner and being very limited in your options and time to choose between said options.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The sea levels are rising to prove you wrong.