Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I mean, I'd probably pay to see it, but of all the circus acts that've made me think, "Yeah, I could do that," Sugar's is up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Seeing people's reactions in slow mo was a great addition. I like that he also seems to be doing the "gently caress yeah !" double fists as he falls.

Also, I'm not at all familiar with pole vaulting, so as the camera panned up, I thought the black thing half way up the nearest upright was the level of the bar, but then the camera (and the kid) just... kept... going... up. loving insane. What a mad lad.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That's going to be hell on people with light sensitive epilepsy :ohdear:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
What if we also bring the sun closer so that the moon and the sun rotate around the earth at a speed that makes the day/night cycle less strobey ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

SerthVarnee posted:

On the other hand, the Hubble telescope images never gave a photo-sensitive epileptic seizure. 2 of the 4 images from the JWST have.
Something about the way the post process the images is just oversaturating my brain and knocking me the gently caress around for some 3-5 hours.

I had no idea that could happen with still images, so thanks for enlightening me. And I'm sorry that you don't get to enjoy the cool space shots.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Wait, is that supposed to be the explanation for why vampires don't have reflections ? I guess it got lost by the time there were films showing vampires not reflecting in windows and puddles and whatnot.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Silver is either has magic properties because it's noble or because Judas was paid in silver. It would make sense that vampires and Jesus have that in common.

Wait, is that why Jesus came back after 3 days ? They failed to stake him through the heart ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

SerthVarnee posted:

Just got a mail from NASA. They want to contact me further to ask for more feedback and insights about my epilepsy and how to mitigate the issue.

I'm just gonna spend a little while going absolutely apeshit over here because two weeks ago I was a nobody living on medical disability retirement and today I'm doing consultancy work for NASA.

Fully agree with Robobot; this is awesome !
Do you know what you're going to tell them ? Like, do you actually know what would need to be done to the images to make them less trigger-some ? (Sorry, I have no idea how epilepsy works, and I'm curious; feel free to not answer, obviously.)

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I know from personal experience that playing with blades on the trampoline is a good way to get a hole in your trampoline (and make your brother shout at you).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Applying Marconi's theory to these reports, musician Gavin Bryars theorized that the sound of the music the band played would reverberate underwater for eternity. He then wrote an incredible piece of music called The Sinking of The Titanic that was his interpretation of how that would sound.

The live performance from 07 is one of my favorite pieces of music
https://www.popmatters.com/gavin-bryars-the-sinking-of-the-titanic-2496155222.html

Thanks so much for this. I'd never heard of it before, but it sounded intriguing.
So the other night, I went out onto the balcony in the cold, wrapped in a blanket with a hot cup of tea, left the lights off, and spent an hour listening to this in the dark with the sound of the beach nearby and the distant lights of the next town.
It was a really wonderful experience. 10/10

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I love the laugh. It's the exact reaction I have when something great's just happened to me but my mind's not really caught up yet.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

verbal enema posted:

Seems somewhat relevant

Less relevant, but I'm going to mention it anyway.
I once knew a guy who needed over 100 sutures (126, if memory serves) in his face, neck, chest and arms because he got drunk and thought it would be a good idea to pick up a goanna (big Australian tree-climbing lizard; huge gently caress-off claws).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Most badass caterpillar

When he said, "the best caterpillar in the world," I was like, "steady on, lad," but lo and be-loving-hold !

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Guy in centre-front is just so happy he was invited along.
Are far-left and second-from-the-right twins, or am I just bad at telling white men apart ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Probably a great way to get shot by a complete loving lunatic

I think the goal is to be the lunatic.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
So it was... bear baiting ? :dadjoke:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

ekuNNN posted:

Traditional European Christmas time monsters, photographed across Europe by Charles Fréger.

I too have had nightmares about being attacked by the throw rug on my grandmother's sofa.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

marshmallow creep posted:

Does anyone know what they're called? Because I've never seen them before.

Till Lindemann's website says they're Kukeri .

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
As a non-American, the Waffle House thing confuses me. Why are fights in WH so common ? Is it really just a "more poor people eat here than at other establishments" thing ? Or are WH fights just over represented online because of memes ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Okay, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That kid's got some powerful "how did you guess that I have older brothers ?" energy.

e: other dudés a dick; I hope they know each other and he's not just out there doing that to strangers.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I mean, there always seems to be someone filming at skateparks. But the perfect framing is a bit of a giveaway.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

The top comment on that video really sums it up:

quote:

People are always saying they wish they’d been born in a different time, but I like living in a time when I can hear stuff like this without being afraid of whoever is playing it...

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
It seems unlikely that they would invent an instrument and not, at some point, use it to make every kind of music it's capable of.
The Jewish shofar is only supposed to be used for religious purposes, but my rabbi uses every available opportunity to show off how slightly-less-terrible he's getting at playing the epic sax guy solo on it.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Oh, well poo poo; now I want to hear it.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
^That.
Fashion goes in cycles, and unfortunately for that lad, we are not at a point in the cycle at which there is anything badass about animal print clothing.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Seeing superhero-playing actors with their between-films "dad bods" somehow failed to prepare me for a police-fighting hero dressed like my dad on holiday in Thailand.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
When I was a kid, my dad's boss worked out of a workshop right next to his house. When you heard a shout of "Want a cup of tea, Ken ?" coming from the house, the only way to tell whether it was his wife or their parrot was to wait 10 minutes and see if any tea arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Ardent Communist posted:

Guys, I've read tons of history, i know how deadly horse archers can be. I'm just having trouble training new ones, i can't see how they hold the bows with their hooves?

I've not read much history, but I've been around a bunch of horses, and the most dexterous part of them is the lips, so perhaps you're looking in the wrong direction.

Tiny horse-mouth-sized bows and arrows is what I'm suggesting.