Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Also, cats are bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This one is loving great. I love whale falls, they can sustain a whole unique community for years, even down to specialized worms that seem to exclusive live around whale bones.

There's a great story about the virtues of pure science which comes from the first whale fall ever deeply studied.

A few decades back a biologist realised that no one had any idea what happened to gigantic whale corpses after they died. Blue whales are the largest animals which have ever lived, but after they died? A complete mystery.

So he managed to secure some funding, draw up some plans and set about waiting for someone to find a dead whale in a suitable location. Eventually someone did - off a coast somewhere in the Arctic. His team put a chain around the corpse, tied it to a boat and dragged it into the deepest water they could while still being able to access it to study it.

It took years. Literally years for it to break down. Countless species came and went, some having travelled unheard of distances. And not just the ones they expected either. Hagfish from over a thousand kilometres away visited the corpse which no one was expecting.

Finally, almost all the meat was gone and nothing was left but bone, some connective tissue and chunks of blubber nothing else was able to stomach. Now it was the time of the microbes to shine. Or slime, I should say.

In those deep, frozen waters, slime covered the whale and, at last, the final chapter of the whale's remains was going to come to a quiet close.

Or so everyone involved thought.

Then someone realised - hey, this slime is breaking down and digesting fat in near freezing water. That's not right, surely?

Everyone knows, if you want to break down fats you need high temperatures and high pressure otherwise it doesn't work.

What the team had managed to discover, through those humble slimy microbes, was an entirely new class of enzyme capable of breaking down lipids at low temperatures.

That might not seem like much, but industry spent billions of dollars each year dealing with fats they didn't want. So did the cleaning industry. Not just industrial cleaning, either. Domestic, too.

Every time you see dishwashing or laundry detergent like this:

You can thank a team of dedicated biologists who once spent nearly a decade of their lives watching a whale corpse dissolving in the ocean.

And the final moral of the story - we need pure science because the thing about pure science is that you can never possibly know where it's going to take you.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Solice Kirsk posted:

Rat stew sounds interesting. Did you make a Demolition Man joke?

The only issue I had with the rat burger in Demolition Man is that it looked like it was a straight patty on bread, nothing else.

I know that train!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Not Very Metal posted:

Fastest guys out there

yeah it's that story again but it's such a good story

It really is :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Taken from Earth Science Picture of the Day.

Two photos of the moon taken at the same time, from the northern and southern hemisphere 10,000km apart, during twilight.

I knew that the moon appears upside down when viewed from different hemispheres, but never realised the actual phase of the moon could change as well. I mean, the moon is 300,000km away, but the photos were taken 1/30th that distance apart.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

The phase of the moon isn't changed, both of those are waning (I think) crescent. You can just see the shadowed section of the moon easier in the bottom one because it's higher and doesn't have as much atmospheric attenuation.

Still cool as hell.

Yeah, thought it had to be some artefact of how the pictures were taken.

Also, proof the Earth is round.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Get some Buddy Hankserson in this drat thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rek3g8znpOg

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It's the old-school rule for making titles.

"Bad rear end Pictures"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I thought it was because Roosevelt wrote his own stupid dictionary which led to that?

Also Webster being a loon.

EDIT:

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 03:39 on Jan 27, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Laterite posted:

Why is he mad about the songs?

Everyone hates spruikers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
My breasts!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The zoom on a Nikon P900

https://i.imgur.com/PFtfpAV.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Snowy posted:

It’s crazy how often an overabundance of talent and skill seems to lead to horrible music.

I've heard it called 'vocal wanking' which seems pretty apt.

Rather than going where the song needs you to go, you just scream and whine between the octaves at whim.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

What impressed me the most is how well timed they were with the traffic lights.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

poo poo, I've been unmasked. The uber racist has been owned. You can sleep soundly now, citizens

No, he meant that Aussies and South Africans are racists.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I was going to ask what a "hest" was.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Reminder that chimps are crazy strong*

https://i.imgur.com/dOJtRkk.mp4

* and will eat your face

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
When you see them without hair (due to mange usually) it becomes obvious they have a tonne of muscle. They're also twice as strong by weight.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

When Border Force (yes, that's what they're really called) tried doing paper bag checks in Melbourne, so many people turned up to protest that they refused to leave their staging area.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Space images are cheating a little, but this was just posted on NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day

quote:

What could shoot out a neutron star like a cannon ball?

A supernova.

About 10,000 years ago, the supernova that created the nebular remnant CTB 1 not only destroyed a massive star but blasted its newly formed neutron star core -- a pulsar -- out into the Milky Way Galaxy.

(S)pinning 8.7 times a second...Traveling over 1,000 kilometers per second, the pulsar has already left the supernova remnant CTB 1, and is even fast enough to leave our Galaxy. Pictured, the trail of the pulsar is visible extending to the lower left of the supernova remnant

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

dpack_1 posted:

I'll admit there are obviously gonna be some exceptions to this, Swordfish is the only one i know of that definitely is just 'Criminal rides off into the sunset with zero consequences'.

That's because the bad guy in Swordfish is someone you're supposed to think was the hero all along.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

krinklechip posted:

The scars on that bastard...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

This is right up there with this classic:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Posted this one ages ago in this thread - bears with a full carcass.

Whales big

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Big Centipede posted:

It's an olive python. Native to Australia.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I swear I've seen a version of this with a little loop-de-loop at the top.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
They had to evacuate an area half the size of Belgium.

poo poo's just insane.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Found this old post I made back in 2011 in AI's Locomotive thread while hunting for an image for the funny thread. It deserves a repost here:

What is this thing? It looks like a building or a boat, not a train.

What it is, is how you solve the problem of how to get barges bringing supplies from downriver up to the top of a dam for a new hydroelectric power plant under construction. The machine is a giant funicular that is powered by the dam itself.

Here you can see the tracks and the machine at the top of the rail line, beginning its descent.

Down it comes. Note the two people standing next to it for a sense of scale.

Also, the two large platforms sticking out the top are part of the machine, too. They connect the machine to the power lines running alongside the tracks, like the trolley pole on a tram:

Doesn't even pause, but goes straight in!

Close-up, here you can see the massive gear wheels that propel it along.

Once all the way in, it comes to a stop and waits for the barges to float right on in.

And here they come. No special modifications are needed for the barges. Just straight in, no mess, no fuss.

Up we go! You can just make out the red turbines from the first barge sticking out over the top of the machine.

Big bastard, isn't it.

A close-up of the gears. I would not want to get caught up in those.

And because nothing is ever easy, the whole thing has to cross a road on its way up.

Once it finally gets to the top, the fun doesn't stop there. Obviously, it can't just open the front hatch and let the barges out, it's facing the wrong way. Cue the massive turntable:

Finally, sweet release!

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Jan 7, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
What's that one where they wear scoops on their arm and throw the ball at each other at light speed ?

EDIT: Jai alai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOnHK9gx2jY&t=5s

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

thatbastardken posted:

petanque, not palantir.

Peetanque in English is "bladder"

"Bonjour, où sont les toilettes? My peetanque is full."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Well, that's just impressive as hell.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Slippery posted:

It's a real accomplishment to get the elephant to hold the pencil

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Awww. Really tugs on the heart plug.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
A few goons have been compiling all the statues and monuments being pulled down and I'm compiling them and putting them in the Blessed Thread.

Link here to the first post. More continuing below it and onto the next page.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

You really need to watch the footage to appreciate how well the cop distracted them.

https://i.imgur.com/SJPAadN.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Night-time on Mars

https://i.imgur.com/h8FZYh7.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Beachcomber posted:

We went to Death Valley looking for that kind of experience. Guess we should have gone farther.

I hear the Sahara sky is so big and beautiful that it basically levers your head open to reprogram you.

A clear night sky is a beautiful thing. If you can make your way to the southern hemisphere, the sights are even better.

We get the entire smear of the Milky Way across the sky. If you're out bush, it's just breathtaking.

Sadly it's also almost impossible to find images online which show what it actually looks like. All are either massively long exposures or digitally "enhanced". This is about as close as I could find to what you'd see with the naked eye:

This one's massively enhanced, but it shows how big the Milky Way is in the sky.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Strayer, please. They said they weren't going to debate this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
https://i.imgur.com/o47iBd8.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

OwlFancier posted:

VR is not very immersive because if you stick your head through the canopy in real life it will be a lot more noticeable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jpPc8hhoWI

I love watching people gently caress around in VR 'breaking the fourth wall' kind of stuff.

I saw one video of a guy playing a sword fighting game and he had a friend take one of the controllers and stand in front of him waving the 'sword' back and forth killing the enemies before they got close enough to hit him.

Also, one famous clip that I can't find right now, of a guy playing a poker game where he just knelt down and looked under the table and was able to see everyone's cards. It was a single player game and not for real money, so he wasn't doing anything bad, just being silly.