Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Zookeeper: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? Perfect organism. Its structural thiccness matched only by its hostility.
Security Guard: You admire it.
Zookeeper: I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of watermelons.
Security Guard: Look, I am... I've heard enough of this, and I'm asking you to pull the plug.
Zookeeper: Last word.
Security Guard: What?
Zookeeper: I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hippo decides everyone has hosed around and they're all going to find out. (don't watch if you don't want to see animals chomping on each other)

Hungry Hungry Hippo

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

koshmar posted:

That's pretty cool but also gave me a headache

You can often view these sorts of side by side images in a clearer way by using a technique. Put both of your hands up about 6-8 inches from your face. Place them in a certain way to cover the images, so that you can only see the right image with your left eye, and the left image with your right eye. You'll have to vary the placement of your hands based on the distance to the image and the relation to your eyes. Once you have it lined up this way though, if you focus in the center, your brain should more clearly bring the images together than purely with the cross-eyed method.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Desert Bus posted:

The last time I explained on here that Magic Eye pics are bullshit and that everyone claiming to be able to see anything in them was just cargo culting on what others claimed they could see in them, because they didn't want to feel left out? It caused a page long derail of people claiming they could see them so they'd not look dumb in front of others who also did the same thing.

It's just random dots, there ain't poo poo there, anyone claiming there is? They're just trying to look good for other suckers who also claim there is something there.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The General posted:

I can get it in an instant with a quick crosseye trick, but instead of the image popping out it actually goes in instead, which makes it very hard to actually tell what I'm looking at. If I do the stare into the distance thing, it takes longer but shows up properly.

3D images actually have a dedicated left and right side. So if you can "get it in an instant" with a crosseye trick, but the image goes inward, you can take the image into an image editor, swap the pics from left to right and vice versa, and then they'll appear with the proper depth.

It's all down to how the images were captured. Some are designed so the left image is seen by the left eye, the right by the right eye, and you bring them together to combine them and show depth. Other are designed for the left eye to see the right image, and the right eye to see the left image, and then combining them produces depth. But the view methods are not interchangeable between both styles. The former style are generally easy to do without any "tricks", the latter you usually have to use a dedicated viewing apparatus, or use the hand covering trick I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Proteus Jones posted:

From some of the descriptions I've read, "loving hurts" kind of undersells the pain I think.

According to the Schmidt Pain Scale, it's one of the most painful Hymenoptera stings you can experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_sting_pain_index

That's the bullet ant. The pic is a bull-ant. Bull-Ant's look much fiercer, with their huge pincers, but any pain from their bite is purely from the physical aspects of a bite. The bullet-ant delivers it's pain from venom.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71c80ab_TgQ

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Milo and POTUS posted:

My wife's nickname is sugar...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What if the moon was closer to earth. Like... a lot closer.

https://i.imgur.com/bdA1xUl.mp4

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dewgy posted:

I’m no moonologist but shouldn’t there be a cascading shadow instead of just lights off / lights on

I mean, technically yes, but the shadow in the video would be moving at several thousand miles per hour, so you wouldn't really perceive the shadow approaching or receding, the sun would essentially appear to be instantly off, and then instantly on again.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn_AP9liBKw

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Seems like the hippo was mostly bluffing, just to get them to leave. He had that one lion basically in his jaws whenever he wanted, but just chose to drive them off.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Let me clarify which one of us is in charge.

https://i.imgur.com/VRZV29B.mp4

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Yup :science: says they can actually fall from like 7 stories & survive with little to no injury because of their small size & how they sort of control/brace themselves

I read in interesting study that said a cats fall survivability may increase above a certain height. At lower heights, if a cat falls it's still trying to right itself and freaking out trying to prepare for the landing. At higher heights, the cat has more time to right itself, prepare to land, and once it hits terminal velocity it no longer feels the forces of acceleration and may calm down slightly which would aid in sticking the landing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cat Hatter posted:

I've also heard that but wonder how true it is after watching the episode of Smarter Every Day where he drops his cat from shoulder height and it has time to flip over. I guess that cat knew it was in a precarious situation as opposed to a cat slipping off a balcony?

Probably. Who knows though, the data is all anecdotal from cat owners whose cats fell by accident, or theoretical since no one (we hope) is tossing cats off skyscrapers to see what happens.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The wealthier Chasseurs, or mounted officers, in Napoleons armies often used leopard skin for the chabraque saddle cover on their horses.

Pimps of the battlefield.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Regarde les couilles de mon cheval! REGARDE!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

dr_rat posted:

Words that could only ever come from naive child who's never had to fight a worse to the death on a battle field, after discovering it standing next too a large pile of bloody goop that used to be your squad.

No, no, humanity isn't surviving a war with them. That sheer blood lust just isn't in us.

One Cessna flying overhead, dropping ants over the enemy lines, would decimate the equine hordes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They've recently changed policy at local hospitals here in Vancouver, where if someone comes in for treatment and they have small amounts of any sort of drug on them, we just let them keep the drugs now.

Although the amount of people who come in for surgery and have pre-gamed with some substance, and then are surprised when they can no longer have surgery, remains weirdly high.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Those Sloth Bears look so goof..... nevermind.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Caution: Mud is deep, and bitey.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

OwlFancier posted:

I think the crocodile gets promoted to moderator in that instance.

An even handed moderator? Is that even allowed here?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Biplane posted:

Octopus are so cool, it bums me out so hard theyre so smart and have to deal with humans eating them :smith:

Might as well. The vast majority of squids and octopus live maybe 2-3 years tops, and the ones typically caught for food not even a year sometimes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Can't tell if regular truck or U-Haul.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Carthag Tuek posted:

like boosh whaaa totaLLY BOOSH

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
now I have your stinger
SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Biplane posted:

My kid has hella sticks. Long sticks, sword sticks, gun sticks, gunsword sticks. I asked him if I could take a picture of the collection to show the internet and he said no way.

Your kid knows what he has. NO time-wasters!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hippo goes ham on truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg-D9OWO-X8

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I would simply dive head first into it's mouth and get it over with quickly.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Two heavy lads get into a shoving match.

https://i.imgur.com/y9V42xy.mp4

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
https://i.imgur.com/sDUAnKT.mp4

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Crochet all the stitches,
With wool that itches,
And put my sewing stuff in a cookie tin!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Monster Truck shows are also padded out with boring rear end poo poo like tractor-pulls and like, a car, but with larger then average tires on it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm not sure the strongest man in the world could kill a bull by smashing it over the head with a baseball bat, let alone simply dropping a bat from 10 feet up on to it's skull.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Must be nice to live in your idyllic mountain paradise, clown. Why don't you go ride a bike about it, moran.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Not NWS or NMS, but I'll just link it since some people don't like seeing nature being natural.

Orca Absolutely Starches a Shark

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

:drat:
:stare:

I've snorkeled around sharks and will again but you will not get me in the water in orca territory

Well, the only people ever killed by an orca are when the whale was in captivity. Zero verifiable deaths by a wild orca ever. Even when orcas have attacked and sunk boats, they show little interest to the people who jumped off the boat into the water. Even bites are almost non-existent, with such instances usually being the whale wanting to feel something with it's mouth, much like a baby does.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Love the belugas. Always wanted to touch their melon once I found out they're way squishier than would appear. They look like they'd be taught and semi-rigid, like a tire, but apparently like a balloon.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Phy posted:

First time I ever saw belugas in person was at the Vancouver aquarium, and one of em had a fuckin three foot erection

Whaddup "peeped a whales erection at Vancouver Aquarium" bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Orcas using physics to get some snacks.

https://i.imgur.com/QJwFwDy.mp4