Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"Georgian Khevsur anarchists arriving to fight against the Soviet Army, 1921"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Framptonlive posted:

A lot of people seem to have really weird reactions to death. What's the big deal? Bang me, eat me, grind me up into little pieces, throw me in the river. Who gives a poo poo? You're dead.

Totally and completely Bad rear end

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/GIcolIl.gifv

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemon posted:

I thought the same but I ended up getting it refunded when I realised that it's not the most user-friendly and it takes a while to set all these stunts/crashes up. Plus, everything you want to do is already on YouTube.

Yeah its pretty light on the actual "Game" part at the moment, but it's still good fun for a day or two. I'm assuming they'll keep adding missions etc as it's still in alpha.

Badass haymarket martyr:

ekuNNN has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Nov 13, 2017

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Good to see the ol' front kick still works on Belfort:

*seven years earlier...

haha this looks like he didn't expect to knock him out and his instinct is to catch him :D

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

This is photoshopped, isn't it? Another photo of the museum has a very different cloud design

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2009/jun/09/rene-magritte-surreal-art-museum

laaaame, thought it was like a cutout facade or something.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

edit: wait i thought this was the osha thread, nevermind

ekuNNN has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Aug 6, 2018

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(he was reunited with his family, and went on to be a successful minister and his daughter was interviewed in the 30s for the Slave Narratives Project)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clara Belle Drisdale Williams [1885-1993] was the first African-American graduate of New Mexico State University. Many of her professors would not allow her inside the classroom, she had to take notes from the hallway; she was also not allowed to walk with her class to get her diploma. She married Jasper Williams in 1917; their three sons became physicians. She became a great teacher of black students by day, and by night she taught their parents, former slaves, home economics. In 1961, New Mexico State University named a street on its campus after Williams; in 2005 the building of the English department was renamed Clara Belle Williams Hall. In 1980 Williams was awarded an honorary doctorate of laws degree by NMSU, which also apologized for the treatment she was subjected to as a student. She died at 108 years old.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

A veterinarian has rebuilt an injured American crocodile’s skull at Miami Metrozoo’s animal hospital three months after it was hit by a car. Four steel plates with 41 screws were installed into the reptiles skull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcgJ5YdwdM

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A badass from WWII:

quote:

once upon a time there was a Catalan dude named Joan Pujol Garcia. Pujol was a chicken farmer. Pujol hated him some goddamn fascists.

See Spain had recently ended its civil war, with the fascists taking power. So when WWII broke out in Europe, Spain technically remained neutral but in practice was buddy buddy with the Nazis. Joan Pujol Garcia thought this was pretty bullshit

so soon after war breaks out Pujol travels to his local British embassy and goes “hey I wanna spy on the Nazis for you”

“who the gently caress are you?” say the British, and kick him out

but Pujol is not deterred! He still wants to dunk on some fascists, so now he goes to his local German embassy instead. “hey” he says, “I wanna spy on the British for you, I sure do hate them”

“yeah okay” say the Germans “that seems pretty legit”

and just like that Pujol now officially works for the Abwehr, the German intelligence agency. They hand him some spy gear (invisible ink and such) and instruct him to travel to Lisbon, and from there make his way into the UK. So Pujol heads to Lisbon, and a little while later writes to his German handlers telling them he’s made it to England

Pujol had not made it to England. He had, in fact, made it to the Lisbon public library, where he checked out a number of English guide books and set about just wholesale making poo poo up

this is slightly complicated by the fact that, for example, he completely did not understand British currency and all his expense reports were basically gibberish. He also reported things like bribing Scotsmen, because the people of Glasgow would “do anything for a litre of wine” (an actual quote) because, hey, people in Spain like wine so that’s probably the same right?

Here is where it starts to get really crazy, because the Abwehr loves this. “wow this dude is a great spy” they say, because apparently none of them had ever been to England either. In fact, they are so pumped about this new awesome spy that the British start to get worried

you see, by this time the British had cracked German’s supposedly unbreakable Enigma code and were totally dunking on the Nazis by reading basically all of their ~super top secret~ radio transmissions. And, crucially, they’d become so good at breaking and reading traffic that there were literally no German spies in England. The Germans would set up a spy drop (usually dropping dudes in by parachute in the middle of the night), the British would intercept the message and then just scoop the dudes up as soon as they landed in a move that must have been SUPER embarrassing to the spies

so there are no German spies in the UK because they’re all sitting in a prison run by MI5 (although some are being run under supervision as double agents, feeding Germany bullshit). But suddenly MI5 is picking up all this traffic from the Germans talking about their super great spy- a spy the British do not have in their jail

“oh poo poo” says MI5, and starts rereading all the transmissions they have to and from this mysterious super spy.

“hey wait” says MI5, upon actually reading the poo poo the spy was sending. “someone is playing silly buggers, pip pip cheerio”

At this point, Pujol, still in Lisbon, had actually been approaching the British embassy again, repeatedly, but apparently “I am literally an Abwehr agent and would like to offer you my services” wasn’t interesting enough, because he was repeatedly turned away, again. It wasn’t until MI5 started asking around that one of the embassy staff was like “oh yeah we know that guy”

so in 1942 the British finally make contact with Pujol and he officially becomes a spy for MI5. They move him to London and assign him a case officer so he can start making up even better bullshit

and he does. Once actually in London, Pujol reports to the Abwehr that he’d recruited a whole slew of informants- from a bunch of Welsh Aryans to disaffected army officers. He ends up with a network of 20+ sub-spies, all feeding him information from around the UK

none of these people actually exist

Pujol just straight up invented like 20 people, keeping careful track of their fake personalities, names, and activities. With the help of MI5, the information he sends becomes even better- a mix of true but ultimately useless facts and actually important intel timed to arrive in Germany just slightly too late to be of any use. He and his “spy network” become the Abwehr’s most trusted agents

Pujol, now codenamed Agent Garbo (for his acting skills), ends up playing a huge role in the run-up to D-Day, where the Allies mounted a huge intelligence campaign to convince Hitler that the planned site of attack was going to be Calais and not Normandy (this was Operation Fortitude and you should absolutely look it up for more Wacky WWII Adventures). Obviously you know how this ended

crazily enough, the Abwehr never figured out that Pujol was a double agent. After the war he received both the Iron Cross Second Class (which require personal authorization from Hitler), and a Member of the Order of the British Empire (from King George VI)

unable to resist being totally loving ridiculous, Pujol turned down MI5’s post-war offer to continue spying, but this time against the USSR. “no,” he said “just help me fake my own death and then I’m moving to Venezuela”

and that’s exactly what he did. Joan Garcia Pujol died in 1988, at the age of 76

and this is the man in question:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cool nazi flag there guy

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well then gundam has a stupid nazi flag :colbert:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45745082
An Italian bank manager who robbed from the rich to give to the poor has narrowly escaped going to prison.
Gilberto Baschiera was the bank manager in the small mountain town of Forni di Sopra, where he stole about €1m (£0.9m) over seven years.
He took small amounts from wealthy clients and transferred it to those who couldn't qualify for credit.
But he never pocketed a penny for himself - and avoided going to jail after a plea bargain with authorities.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzeekxtyFOY
15-year old girl basically tells the UN "You cowards don't love your children as much as you love money, death to capitalism" :commissar:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

26-year old Georgia politician Mariah Parker is sworn in on Malcolm X's autobiography.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
“The purpose of the collar is to protect the dog wearing it when it has to fight the wolves. The collar base protects the dog’s throat and carotid arteries, while the spikes are intended to deter bites to the neck or even injure wolves trying to do so.”

also Tibetan Mastiffs were bred to protect sheep from wolves and tigers, which is why they have the big mane to protect their necks

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sneakyfrog posted:

big goddamn hero

her story gets better:

https://twitter.com/LegitTayUpdates/status/1113157697208188929

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think this has probably been here before, but I just saw it and thought it was cool.

Black player in the Turkish League gets called a very very bad thing by an opposition player. Offending player only gets a 3 week ban. So next time they play, the team mates of the player villified kick the poo poo out of the offending player. (Well as much as one can kick the poo poo out of someone in professional soccer.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-m0TC_rtm0&feature=youtu.be

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just found out about the badass Bagworm Moth caterpillar who builds a tiny log cabin to live in :aaa:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lady Disdain posted:

I never miss an opportunity to introduce people to my favourite weird animal, the Jewel Caterpillar.
It starts life as some sort of gummy sweet:

See also the nudibranch Acanthadoris lutea:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:3:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, I didn't wanna see actual pictures of it anyways.

I just googled it, it looks nice :3:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Rogozin/status/1132970813790015489
https://www.sciencealert.com/watch-russia-s-soyuz-rocket-get-hit-by-lightning-mid-launch

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MizPiz posted:

Unfortunately the only good American is dead

https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1150202427452383233?s=19

Edit:

He was also the one good Dutch person apparently :( :anarchists:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is the badass master race terrorist after getting beat up by 65-year old Muhammad Rafiq:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Celtic footballer Ntcham responds to racial abuse from Lazio fans by recreating the death of Mussolini after scoring the winning goal
https://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2019/11/08/5dc54e9322601dbe4a8b45ef.html

(Mussolini and his closest assosciates were killed by antifascists and hung upside down from a gas station in Rome)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A little old lady throws rocks at the cops in Ecuador.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS