Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
On the Nuclear talk; Tsutomu Yamaguchi the only man to be recognized as living through both Nuclear drops. He died at age 93 from stomach cancer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi

Hiroshima bombing
Yamaguchi lived and worked in Nagasaki, but in the summer of 1945 he went to Hiroshima for a three-month-long business trip.[3] On August 6, he was preparing to leave the city with two colleagues, Akira Iwanaga and Kuniyoshi Sato, and was on his way to the station when he realised he had forgotten his hanko (a stamp allowing him to travel), and returned to his workplace to get it.[4][5] At 8:15, he was walking back towards the docks when the American bomber Enola Gay dropped the Little Boy atomic bomb near the centre of the city, only 3 km away.[3][6] Yamaguchi recalls seeing the bomber and two small parachutes, before there was "a great flash in the sky, and I was blown over".[5] The explosion ruptured his eardrums, blinded him temporarily, and left him with serious burns over the left side of the top half of his body. After recovering, he crawled to a shelter, and having rested, he set out to find his colleagues.[5] They had also survived and together they spent the night in an air-raid shelter before returning to Nagasaki the following day.[4][5] In Nagasaki, he received treatment for his wounds, and despite being heavily bandaged, he reported for work on August 9.[3]

Nagasaki bombing
At 11 am on August 9, Yamaguchi was describing the blast in Hiroshima to his supervisor, when the American bomber Bockscar dropped the Fat Man atomic bomb onto Nagasaki. His workplace again put him 3 km from ground zero, but this time he was unhurt by the explosion.[6] However, he was unable to seek replacement for his now ruined bandages, and he suffered from a high fever for over a week.[3]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

To put things in perspective, Arnold Schwarzenegger is reportedly 6'2", so not short. Reminds me of when in college I caught a live ECW matchup, and afterwards many of the wrestlers came and met fans outside. The camera, it turns out, not only adds pounds, but reduces inches. There was one guy, Spike Dudley, who would get treated like he was a midget in the ring, to the point of often being picked up and thrown by others, that in person I realized was the same height as myself, an average height dude. The "average" height wrestlers towered over me. I can't even fathom what it'd be like to meet a huge guy like Andre in person.

I flew from Houston to Dallas after the Wrestlemania in 2000 with half the wrestlers. They don't really fit in a coach seat.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Your wikipedia quote is for more of a modern definition of the term. Wake did in fact mean that it was a watch over the body to see if they woke up/ward off evil spirits. That is why the body could never be alone and had to always be watched. This is also why in some cultures wakes were large parties to make as much noise as possible to try and wake the dead.

Read a few more books/websites than wiki.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Android Bicyclist posted:

Unrelated:

How cold is it in New England? It's so cold you can see nearly-frozen waves in Nantucket.

I saw something similar in RI as a kid and it is amazing.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

with a catch like that you kinda have to drink it...and look like a bad rear end doing it.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Zopotantor posted:

Nope, not watching that one. I've had that happen three times. It sucks.

One time for me. Pushed it back into place on the field. Found out later that my tibia plateau was shattered and I tore my ACL.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The camera shakes from the shock wave of him hitting the ground.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

Because it can make anyones rear end look great. Unless you have some kind of genetic butt based disorder where one cheek is bigger than the other, then it might not help that much.

What if you just wore one skate?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Needs more red.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Do you have the source? Or the name of the Cathedral?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Why is that not a gif? It really needs to be a gif.

https://i.imgur.com/Y2GtKw0.gifv

There, much better.

hmm this really needs to be on one of those hoverboard things so it looks like your just speed running everywhere like a cartoon.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jedit posted:

So long as they paid $10 each, Lowtax won't mind this time.

Perma banned for account sharing :wave:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

syscall girl posted:

I was a little late to the Joe game but I did end up with the one modeled after the A-10. By that point they'd abandoned Uber patriotic colors for day-glo though so it looked like something Khadafi would fly.

They made the A-10s in Blue, Grey, and then in the late 90s went all neon tiger stripped.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

So this is what the bassist and drummer do while the lead and guitarist get laid.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I always liked the Rhodesian Ridgeback. They fight lions. And a dog that fights lions is cool in my book.

And they look like cool chill dogs (I guess they're not unless you train the hell out of them):

chill is not how I would describe that breed.

Intelligent escape artist who want to run free is a better way of describing them.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

My favorite part of this is that we're not seeing the black hole per se much as the celestial events happening around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUyH3XhpLTo

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

You can still do badass stuff in airsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEMBMwr2W58&t=304s

That's an explosive TAG grenade he's catching, so that actually could blow fingers off.

When I was a kid we used BB guns and our grenades were CO2 canisters with M80s taped to them. Kids these days... "air soft" :clint:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

hattersmad posted:

I think it’s stock, looks like it anyways. No idea on the intake. I think they got lucky, cause it doesn’t look like 4WD either.

like my Jeep, intake is at the top of the engine bay. So as long as your hood isnt submerged its good to go.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Scathach posted:

That's literally what doves and other birds at weddings and stuff do.

You mean they arn't releasing them into the wild to be free :(

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

rear end in a top hat Elephant looking for a fight.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Needs a black sharpie arrow showing the direction its going.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I am more a fan of the classical instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9QuO09z-SI

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

That's a lot of clickity clacking. Sounds horrible

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

hazardousmouse posted:

Musk is doing his very best to ruin the night sky for the entire world, until we figure out how to shoot satellites out of orbit.

From what I understand the light pollution caused by starlink is from the initial deployment of the satellites and not them floating around up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Cocaine Bear posted:

Just because the script was a mess and the story made no sense and it was chocked full of forgettable characters and bad scenes with no clear direction and no one can remember anything about it after the credits finish rolling (except the bafflingly bad parts) doesn't mean its bad!

It doesn't have to be perfect, guys! Also, what loving thread am I in?

PYF Bad Moving Pictures