Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Polaron posted:

A video, not a picture, but an Australian tourist captures a volcano erupting in Papua New Guinea from far enough away that you can see the shockwave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUREX8aFbMs

Rabaul is also cool underwater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I think Kanye wins this round.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

umalt posted:

Just a question for people who'd know the answer. Since you can go blind by watching a total solar eclipse, wouldn't watching the same thing with the moon at ISS distance still cause blindness?

The thing that's bad for your eyes in a solar eclipse is you're staring at the sun, not that you're staring at the moon. The moon might have significant enough albedo at ISS distance to cause eye damage when full but I doubt it.

Bip Roberts has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Feb 22, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Everyone loves a shockwave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KuGizBjDXo

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Slime posted:

Being slower doesn't change the odds of their paths intersecting.

Being slower should linearly increase the odds of path intersections as the object spends more time occupying the battlefield.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nordick posted:

Considering he's a loving Gurkha, that might as well be exactly what he is doing.

Gurkhas are regular humans.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pound_Coin posted:

The Harrier has a pretty good track record, Are you thinking of the V22 Osprey? that's another VTOL capable aircraft that IS in fact a deathtrap (36 confirmed kills so far, only one of which was in a combat zone)

No, Harriers actually fall out of the sky all the time and they basically fixed the Osprey's crashing problems. The difference is there's one person in a Harrier and they can eject. An Osprey is chocked full of delicious marines to charbroil.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Taeke posted:

I'm sitting here with my arm in a sling because I dislocated my shoulder a week ago, and goddamn, maybe mine was pretty bad but I still can't imagine popping it back in myself, let alone continue fighting afterwards.

Maybe you do get punched in the face for a living but I'm guessing you don't get punched in the face for a living.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Istari posted:

I'm amazed by how much this didn't make me go "wow!". By which I mean I'm stunned by how effortless it looks. He just hangs in the air for ages, then lands so smoothly.

If you watch the video there are about 30 tries of people eating poo poo hard before someone happened to luck on to the correct rotational speed.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

That would be cool if the end of the guitar was a dick.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Why's the bottom half of that photo all painty?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

God I am so happy that Robot Wars is back. 2016 has been super, super lovely, we needed the return of robots beating the rivets out of each other.

You say that right after the Dallas PD won a round of Robot Wars last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

You can see the amtrack rails in the background behind the launch pad and you go right by there if you take the train between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, which is a great train trip.