Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7I1Z6a_FA

Open beta trailer!

(More excellent musical scoring)

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Regardless of what the poll says I'm going PvE. Us PvE goons should figure out which server and side we want to be on. The poll shows Nexus as the top PvE server for the US, so maybe that one?

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

There isn't going to be a Nexus realm after beta. They're going to use the name for the test server.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Has a server been decided yet? Looks like the majority of goons will be playing Dominion, so that's mostly decided.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Open beta keys are being given out on the main site now. Just got mine.

e; specified NA and have been instead been shunted over to EU. wtf. :/

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Have there been any more optimization done lately. Played weekend beta 2 months ago on a high end machine and by the third questing area I was hitting 5-15 fps. Been interested in the game for a while now but the the performance from the beta scared me off for a bit.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7I1Z6a_FA

Open beta trailer!

(More excellent musical scoring)

I'm going to be actively disappointed if there isn't some sort of Jak & Daxter-inspired plot twist with the Chua. That would just be so great.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yaos posted:

Regardless of what the poll says I'm going PvE. Us PvE goons should figure out which server and side we want to be on. The poll shows Nexus as the top PvE server for the US, so maybe that one?

I'm just going the RP server. Historically they are the highest populated servers in MMOs and more likely to have servers merge into them when the fatal server merges happen a year down the line. A goon build usually finds it way there when they follow the population off dead servers. So I'm just going to cut out all the middle bullshit and just start there.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Zlodo posted:

settler is only good if you like to farm a million of shiny objects for the sake of helping everyone else

if you don't play a settler you don't have to do this but you still benefit from the buffs they unlock
Even if you're not actually interested in Paths at all, Settler is still a good pick, it's just that unbalanced right now. You see, even just the poo poo you kill out questing drops some of the items you need for building buff stations, and you can do that completely regardless of your Path level from what I can tell. You wouldn't get as many as if you click all the poo poo on the ground, but you could still get an occasional very nice buff. Unless you plan to spend your whole life in Battlegrounds to max level, you could still benefit. If you actually give a poo poo about leveling paths Settler still has some of the best perks compared to the others.

I think it's safe to say Settler will be flavor of the month at least, but keep in mind if you plan to do questing in a group constantly instead of solo, you're gonna want as many different paths as you can in the group to do all the different poo poo. Scientists open doors and activate bots the Settler repaired, Explorers make paths appear that don't even exist normally, and Soldiers have so many little combat challenges spread around the map you'll be tripping on them (and anyone nearby can join in when you set one off).

Tldr
Settler = mass collecting, buffs in outposts, useful in questing, probably gets nerfed, even good pick for not completing path levels
Explorer = extra places to climb around, don't know much else
Scientist = unlock doors, obsessive missions for lore junkies
Soldier = open the blood gates, fun for anyone nearby

Rewards wise right now it probably goes Settler > Scientist > Explorer > Soldier. But they're still working on it and looking for suggestions.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Yo I'm making a new character to try out a different class, anyone just starting a character want some company?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't been excited for an MMO in a real long time. I'm actually really looking forward to playing Wildstar.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

I said come in! posted:

I haven't been excited for an MMO in a real long time. I'm actually really looking forward to playing Wildstar.

Same, I thought for awhile that it was a clone of vanilla WoW for some reason. Actually checking it out and seeing what they're doing with combat and other game mechanics caught my eye.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I guess the uptime for the server wasn't quite right - it's not up yet and the guess was roughly half an hour ago now. Or the "Network Error: Connection Closed" is something else!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The body types are...something alright. :stare:

I'm in chargen at the moment, although I'm getting messages about the server's not being up, so...uh. Yeah.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Taear posted:

I guess the uptime for the server wasn't quite right - it's not up yet and the guess was roughly half an hour ago now. Or the "Network Error: Connection Closed" is something else!

That's something on your end, unfortunately! It's up right now.

I have trouble connecting through my VPN, so if you have something like that, you might want to try disabling it.

edit: It's hard to resist the temptation to turn my Mechari into a Transformers rip-off character.

edit 2: These body types suck. Further confirmation that Chua are amazing.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 8, 2014

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
Just from the pictures i get a very strong vibe that dominion will dominate. They seem way way cooler. Nobody with a sense of self respect could tolerate an aurin without putting a foot in their face. I know thats what i will be doing, probably as chua. Can't wait! Being a tiny funky psychopath as a race choice? :dance:

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 11, 2014

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Voted Dominion PvE. I'd be ok with a PvP server, but I'm also part of the group that doesn't want to play with people who unironically roll Aurin.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

a cat on an apple posted:

I have trouble connecting through my VPN, so if you have something like that, you might want to try disabling it.

Ah poo poo, I didn't even think about that. Unfortunately even with that it still won't work.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music

Taear posted:

What are the PvP servers even like in this - is it more like EQ2 where the majority of the PvP occurs outside or is it like WoW where for the most part the only PvP takes place with much higher levels attacking lowbies and barely any other confrontation?

You must be talking about WoW years after release or something when 99% of the population was already at max level. I played that game during release, and world PvP was primarily fought between people of the same level with some high level shitlords only ganking in lower level zones here and there. It didn't happen often compared to the even level PvP, but it was probably very sore in peoples' memories whenever it did happen because they were powerless unless they organized. We'd usually posse up half the zone and destroy those people or answer guildies' bat signals to go deal with them once we were higher level.

Anyway, I was trying to give a heads up that this game's open world PvE content is really boring and generic stuff (collecting space bear asses is pretty much half the quests) and the threat and thrill of PvP will make it actually exciting to level, especially with a guild of goons at your back.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
EU servers don't seem to be up at the moment, near as I can tell. At least I can appreciate the sweet as hell main menu music.

e: At least I think that's what's happening. I'm getting a network connection error.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 8, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

You must be talking about WoW years after release or something when 99% of the population was already at max level. I played that game during release, and world PvP was primarily fought between people of the same level with some high level shitlords only ganking in lower level zones here and there.

Like I said - I was playing EQ2 for most of WoW, so yea it was a good while after release. If we met anyone who was levelling and killed them they'd just not come back. It was weird to have people of different factions right near you never even bothering to come close.
Rift was the same though and that one I played from release. In that people would just totally ignore you. I guess MMOGs have become so risk/reward now that it's really pointless to even bother attacking people because it just slows down your levelling and "fun" is never taken into it.

Is it worth posting on the forums about my connection woe or is it fifty thousand posts of the same stuff right now?

edit:

quote:

EU servers don't seem to be up at the moment, near as I can tell. At least I can appreciate the sweet as hell main menu music.
Phew! You'd think ours would come up first, since we're actually awake now.

Slabs
Oct 14, 2003

Fuck, Fuck, Fuck!
Have they optimised this much since the start of the year? I got into a weekend then and it ran like crap and made my GPU sound like it was about to take off.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

jabro posted:

I'm just going the RP server. Historically they are the highest populated servers in MMOs and more likely to have servers merge into them when the fatal server merges happen a year down the line. A goon build usually finds it way there when they follow the population off dead servers. So I'm just going to cut out all the middle bullshit and just start there.
I'm going where most of the PvE goons are going, wherever that may be. Sometimes RPing can be fun too.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Anyone got a YouTube channel or video(s) one could watch to get a sense for the game that isn't just the marketing videos by the devs?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

xgalaxy posted:

Anyone got a YouTube channel or video(s) one could watch to get a sense for the game that isn't just the marketing videos by the devs?

Here's a bunch of Twitch streams. Find the one that's least annoying and have at it.
http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/WildStar

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I'm loving the NPC conversations, especially ones that involve Chua.

quote:

Technician Frenzi: Affirmative, silver ratchet. Number 10 etched on side.
Worker Emitius: This one?
Technician Frenzi: Close. That ratchet, but is size 12. Frenzi need size 10.
Worker Emitius: Of course you're right, you are. Let's see... how about this one?
Technician Frenzi: That size 01, not size 10. Stupid human not know numbers?
Worker Emitius: I know those what me mum taught me.
Technician Frenzi: Chua not believe this!

Technician Frenzi: Frenzi being punished for sins of past life. Or something.

Just such a nice touch. :3:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

You must be talking about WoW years after release or something when 99% of the population was already at max level. I played that game during release, and world PvP was primarily fought between people of the same level with some high level shitlords only ganking in lower level zones here and there. It didn't happen often compared to the even level PvP, but it was probably very sore in peoples' memories whenever it did happen because they were powerless unless they organized. We'd usually posse up half the zone and destroy those people or answer guildies' bat signals to go deal with them once we were higher level.

Anyway, I was trying to give a heads up that this game's open world PvE content is really boring and generic stuff (collecting space bear asses is pretty much half the quests) and the threat and thrill of PvP will make it actually exciting to level, especially with a guild of goons at your back.

That phase lasted all of about 8 months until a good chunk hit max level and instanced pvp was introduced. Then the people that actually wanted to enjoy PvP were doing warsong and AV for the rewards and left open world for the small grief squads.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

a cat on an apple posted:

I'm loving the NPC conversations, especially ones that involve Chua.

Just such a nice touch. :3:

I like how the entire time you're doing missions for Mondo Zax he just keeps sending you on more and more dangerous missions trying to kill you. He's always a little disappointed each time you come back alive :haw:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I am going to play Chua Engineer on PvP server at release because Chua are great.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

For those wondering if Settler is boring yes their gimmick is building things but collecting items for it isn't an issue because they drop from mobs constantly. They also do have combat related objectives.

Still not convinced? You can eventually summon a mailbox, crafting station, and vendor every 60 minutes free of charge. Leveling is boring poo poo anyway, so isnt the lasting stuff at endga.e what matters?

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Anyone playing on Oceanic? I'm on Widow, the PVP server. Trying to work out which faction to roll with, but leaning towards Exile. Space bumpkins.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I'm the biggest loving carebear that never ganks players from opposing factions, but I always roll on PVP servers because

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

Open world PvP is way more fun and breaks up the monotony of collecting space bear asses.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

There we are - I couldn't log in because my region was still set to NA from the open beta. I wonder how many others have the same issue?

I'm on the only EU english PvP server - Hazak. It defaulted me to the german RP server, which was a fun few minutes.

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 8, 2014

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Phrasing posted:

For those wondering if Settler is boring yes their gimmick is building things but collecting items for it isn't an issue because they drop from mobs constantly. They also do have combat related objectives.

Still not convinced? You can eventually summon a mailbox, crafting station, and vendor every 60 minutes free of charge. Leveling is boring poo poo anyway, so isnt the lasting stuff at endga.e what matters?

Do you think that's better than say the Scientist who gets to portal his party in?

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Iron Tusk posted:

Do you think that's better than say the Scientist who gets to portal his party in?

I'd say they're both great wouldn't you?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I think on a PVP server, the Explorer's ability to completely ignore fall damage once every 30s could come in pretty handy.

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
Well download is around 40% at the moment, happy for the chance to see how the game plays before I make a pre-order decision. Regarding 'paths' what end-game utility do the soldier/explorer give you, if any?(Mailbox/ally summon/etc)

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Are the names of the beta guild inviters still accurate, does anyone know?

Added the beta site to the OP

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Iron Tusk posted:

Yeah, 'cause you only need one portal guy and you get so many buffs and poo poo along the way if you quest with Settler. You'll need to hire a Scientist to get through doors if you want 100% zone completion but unless you're a total lore junkie it's a hard sell. From what people have been saying on their forum the missions are super annoying too, especially the ones involving tediously farming poo poo to scan and hoping the corpses don't instantly poof before you can mash the Z key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, 'cause you only need one portal guy and you get so many buffs and poo poo along the way if you quest with Settler. You'll need to hire a Scientist to get through doors if you want 100% zone completion but unless you're a total lore junkie it's a hard sell. From what people have been saying on their forum the missions are super annoying too, especially the ones involving tediously farming poo poo to scan and hoping the corpses don't instantly poof before you can mash the Z key.

Yeah, My 50 was settler and towards the end I wasn't even bothering to loot ground resources since I'd be full on the common resources just from fighting mobs. I was considering scientist since a few things they can scan give buffs or create enviroment hazards you can use to your advantage, but the scanbot's flimsiness and the irritation of trying to scan 40 mobs just lost me.

• Locked thread