Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, 'cause you only need one portal guy and you get so many buffs and poo poo along the way if you quest with Settler. You'll need to hire a Scientist to get through doors if you want 100% zone completion but unless you're a total lore junkie it's a hard sell. From what people have been saying on their forum the missions are super annoying too, especially the ones involving tediously farming poo poo to scan and hoping the corpses don't instantly poof before you can mash the Z key.

I just tried Scientist a bit, I wasn't exactly impressed. I'd say that Explorer is the best path following Settler, because Explorers get these red flags that spawn leading them to the capital city with an enormous speed boost (my 16 Explorer runs faster with flags than on mount).

Unless you're just an absolute lore junkie, the tedium of Scientist isn't worth it.

Edit: The pre-order dialog pops up even if you've used a pre-order code on your account. That's pretty obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I liked the Settler because I find it fun roaming around looking for stuff to pick up. It's like an easter egg hunt.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Scientists get done decent buffs too though, when you finish scanning an item you can continue scanning then to get 5 min buffs. Some examples in the starting zones are damage shields, mobs no longer aggro are on you and healing zones.

Soldier gets an Evac which is great for getting around the zone but not much of a life saver in a world where everything leashes.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Wildstar Hiphop is still around, but there's like 8 people in the guild total, and I think I'm one of two people that actually logs in still. I don't really play though, I'm just logging in to get my release bonuses. Maybe I'll take a crack at it this weekend. I think my character is named CerriWarSol, and I do have invite privs.

It might be better to just make a new guild though.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Scientists get done decent buffs too though, when you finish scanning an item you can continue scanning then to get 5 min buffs. Some examples in the starting zones are damage shields, mobs no longer aggro are on you and healing zones.

Wait, is that a consistant thing, or just for some scanned mobs. I only ever remember getting 1 buff from scanning.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Doublestep posted:

Are the names of the beta guild inviters still accurate, does anyone know?
Would be nice if we could get at least someone to volunteer to invite people on one particular server for today and this weekend to let anyone who wants to try open beta get together. Hell, I would even roll a new guy and get in on the clusterfuck.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Deki posted:

Wait, is that a consistant thing, or just for some scanned mobs. I only ever remember getting 1 buff from scanning.

There are a bunch of scan objects that give buffs or trigger things like explosions, healing zones, item drops
Some mobs turn from hostile to neutral from scanning

The biggest problem is the scanbot interface is clunky (I'm not sure if it's been fixed in the last few patches, but I remember I still had the same problems with it the first day of the new interface)
IIRC every time you change zones or log in or out you have to reset which scanbot you are using - since once you get the long-range scanbot, it's almost always the best one to use, but by default the regular one is summoned

edit: at least for the next week, I won't be on except briefly for boombox purposes (or won't be playing my Esper) so you can take Ozymorf off the inviter list

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Taear posted:

There we are - I couldn't log in because my region was still set to NA from the open beta. I wonder how many others have the same issue?

I'm on the only EU english PvP server - Hazak. It defaulted me to the german RP server, which was a fun few minutes.

:siren: EU players that have been in the previous betas have to change their region through the launcher by clicking the gear icon in the top right corner! :siren:

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
Scientists also get the summon group ability, so there's that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does anyone know if the current skills in beta are just reflective of the non closed cap or does everyone stop getting new skills at 31?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does anyone know if the current skills in beta are just reflective of the non closed cap or does everyone stop getting new skills at 31?

You're done at 31 with the possible exception of the AMP tree unlocks, which you can always get before 31.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really wanna play a bunch of open beta and ruin retail for me so can anyone tell me if they optimized the game yet so it doesn't run like rear end on higher end stuff?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't really wanna play a bunch of open beta and ruin retail for me so can anyone tell me if they optimized the game yet so it doesn't run like rear end on higher end stuff?

I'm getting ~90 fps and I just recently built my computer. It's not like I'm using a Titan Z but it's a 1200 USD rig so it's pretty good.

edit: This is on Medium settings

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 8, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

big mean giraffe posted:

I've been getting better FPS with each patch, but some people are still getting bad FPS, probably because the game still has not been optimized for certain cards. Optimization is a pretty piecemeal sort of thing anyway, so there is no telling if it will run well on your rig without at least giving it a try. They have projected that they will still be doing optimization and improving FPS for the next 3 to 6 months.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that
The dash problem I (and plenty of others) have doesn't seem to be fixed, and it doesn't work with Steer either.

To clarify, when in mouse freelook, either by holding right mouse button or doing whatever you set Steer to, and having Directional Dash bound to an extra mouse button, dashing only works every other time and far from reliable.
To make it work every time I have to manually let go of RMB and then press Dash.

I'm not sure what causes this but it's one hell of an oversight and I'm not really sure how other people play this game if they didn't bother fixing that.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

Still runs like rear end on decent hardware and dash bound to mouse 4/5 still doesn't work properly! :downsbravo:

Syrek posted:

The dash problem I (and plenty of others) have doesn't seem to be fixed, and it doesn't work with Steer either.

To clarify, when in mouse freelook, either by holding right mouse button or doing whatever you set Steer to, and having Directional Dash bound to an extra mouse button, dashing only works every other time and far from reliable.
To make it work every time I have to manually let go of RMB and then press Dash.

I'm not sure what causes this but it's one hell of an oversight and I'm not really sure how other people play this game if they didn't bother fixing that.

Here's how you reproduce the bug: use Steer or hold down right mouse button, hold down a direction and slightly pan the camera while hammering on whichever mouse button you've bound to directional dash. This has been reported several times over a few months I believe.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 8, 2014

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
So are all the EU goons basically on Hazak then?

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012
Started an Exile character on Hazak called 'Slokarin' if any EU Goons wanna group up for leveling.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Remember the talk about the right mouse button towards the end of the last thread? Apparently the rabbit hole of opaque UI design goes deeper.

All classes, when entering the combat portion of the tutorial and getting their weapon, have their first attack ability in action slot '1'. At the same time, for 5 out of 6 classes, the right mouse button, when clicking on an enemy, also activates this starter ability.

This is true for Quickdraw, Telekinetic Strike, Pulse Blast, Shred and Relentless Strike.

However, when a low level Medic right clicks an enemy, the character just runs up and zaps it for 1 tick of damage on a single target - clearly different from Discharge, the ability in slot 1, which has an area of effect, multiple channeled damage ticks and replenishes 1 cube of the Medic's resources.

So far so straight forward. But wait! As long as Quickdraw is anywhere on your action bar as Spellslinger, RMB will activate Quickdraw - if Quickdraw is off your bar, RMB will just feebly shoot your gun once. So I guess starting attacks have some special bond with RMB? Except the Medic one of course.

With the Engineer, it's similar. As long as either Pulse Blast or Flak Cannon is anywhere on your action bar, RMB will fire it. If both are available on the bar, it defaults to Pulse Blast, so I guess there's some internal hierarchy too. So I guess resource builders are 'RMB-enabled?' But not the Medic's starter attack (builds cube resource back up) and also not attacks that build resources but also have a cooldown (Energy Auger, Warrior Savage Strikes).

Why would you do this, it looks like the design doc just said "Come up with something complicated we'll offer no documentation for so everyone just throws up their hands and looks for addons to mod our obtuse UI so they can rebind RMB like they are used from games in the year of our lord 2014".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If I want to be in a more support role (a mix of buffs/heals) rather than just straight out healing, would I be better served as a Spellslinger or Engineer in the long term? I'm hearing strong arguments for both but neither really goes into detail.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

poptart_fairy posted:

If I want to be in a more support role (a mix of buffs/heals) rather than just straight out healing, would I be better served as a Spellslinger or Engineer in the long term? I'm hearing strong arguments for both but neither really goes into detail.

Chua in a cowboy hat is the only correct answer to every Wildstar related question.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

poptart_fairy posted:

Engineers secondary role is tank not heal/support. They have a little bit with bots but not much and bot AI is just short of useless right now.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

Arzachel posted:

Here's how you reproduce the bug: use Steer or hold down right mouse button, hold down a direction and slightly pan the camera while hammering on whichever mouse button you've bound to directional dash. This has been reported several times over a few months I believe.

As a bandaid workaround for this I bound dash to an unused keyboard key and bound that key to my mouse button via my gaming mouse software. Works good so far. Still a bug like this so close to release is amazing.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Psykmoe posted:

Remember the talk about the right mouse button towards the end of the last thread? Apparently the rabbit hole of opaque UI design goes deeper.

[...]

This sounds dreadful.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

A Tartan Tory posted:

So are all the EU goons basically on Hazak then?

Since there's so few of us I think it's the best bet. Dominion on Hazak. I'm in as Taear, unsurprisingly.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Did they improve performance since the last couple beta weekends? If not, it might be worth sticking one of those performance guides like the one from TenTonHammer or the one from the official forums in the OP.
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26894-wildstar-performance-guide/
http://www.tentonhammer.com/wildstar-burst/video-graphics-tweak-guide

Does anything from this beta period carry over to launch? I seem to remember something like getting a prize each day for logging in that will stay with you.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Psykmoe posted:

Why would you do this, it looks like the design doc just said "Come up with something complicated we'll offer no documentation for so everyone just throws up their hands and looks for addons to mod our obtuse UI so they can rebind RMB like they are used from games in the year of our lord 2014".
It almost sounds like a UI that's still in development. Though... yeah it shouldn't still be in this state mere weeks before launch. If there isn't a stink about it on the official forums already you ought to raise one.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Metrohunter posted:

Did they improve performance since the last couple beta weekends? If not, it might be worth sticking one of those performance guides like the one from TenTonHammer or the one from the official forums in the OP.

Does anything from this beta period carry over to launch? I seem to remember something like getting a prize each day for logging in that will stay with you.
The video settings available have changed like two or three times just over the beta weekends, and there are MORE changes in this patch, so it's safe to say any performance guide you can find will be nearly useless aside from the glossary.

You get 3 "boom boxes" for each day you login during beta, and on release you can open one every 24h or something. They may contain some boosts or cosmetic items, and they've said they plan to award more in other ways they haven't decided (I'm guessing promotional stuff) once the game has launched.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm on Nexus as Dominion, in-game name is Misandry. I can't figure out how the guild stuff is supposed to work or if there's anyone I'm supposed to ask?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Anyone try an adventure yet? Did they maybe fix the 90% off voices that were still broken last weekend?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Patch Notes posted:

Installation/Launcher

The launcher's size has been reduced to fit on Chua-sized screens.
The launcher will now install and run the 64bit WildStar64.exe on all 64bit operating systems.
Using the Launcher with a High-Contrast Windows theme will now display a warning.

If I'm running a 64bit system and had previously installed Wildstar, do I have to do anything, or will the launcher take care of it?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Can't even connect - all I get are the annoying "Network Error: Connection Closed 64.25.34.198:23115" error message. Anyone have any tips?

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
My current rig is a AMD FX 8320 CPU and a AMD Radeon R9 290 with 8gb ram. Standing in Bloodfire village in Deradune nets me around 20-25 fps on high settings and 30-35 fps on very low settings. That's around a 10fps increase since last time I played but at the moment that still feels quite unplayable considering the hardware.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Is there any recommendations to avoid the low performance issues on high end PCs? Is there a particular setting or two which is causing issues for a lot of people?

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
What the gently caress is going on in this thread, discussions of the main goon guild being on an RP or PvE server :frogout:

I'm a little concerned every single server is Low pop, I figured there would be more interest in open beta.

Strategy fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 8, 2014

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012

Otacon posted:

Can't even connect - all I get are the annoying "Network Error: Connection Closed 64.25.34.198:23115" error message. Anyone have any tips?

If your in the EU the launcher defaults to US and gives that error. Check you have it set to the right region.
Click the little cog icon to change it.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Slokir posted:

If your in the EU the launcher defaults to US and gives that error. Check you have it set to the right region.
Click the little cog icon to change it.

Sorry should have said that I'm in the US and that I'm set to North America through the launcher

EDIT: New error message "No valid WildStar game account found for the North America Datacenter (Game Region). Your default Datacenter (Game Region) has been changed to Europe. Please log in again."

I'm 100% sure I chose North America, and got a new updated Beta key, and used it in my NC account manager and even got the email message "You have successfully applied the following serial code to NC Account"

Servers are just overloaded maybe?

Otacon fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 8, 2014

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Slokir posted:

Started an Exile character on Hazak called 'Slokarin' if any EU Goons wanna group up for leveling.

Likewise, but as Zhangchi. It's hard to make a male Aurin that doesn't look ridiculous but since I'm an explorer I wanted a character to match the Early PS2 Platformer vibe.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have spent an hour running around putting flowers in pots and putting up faction banners. Whyyyyyyyyyyy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Otacon posted:

Sorry should have said that I'm in the US and that I'm set to North America through the launcher

EDIT: New error message "No valid WildStar game account found for the North America Datacenter (Game Region). Your default Datacenter (Game Region) has been changed to Europe. Please log in again."

I'm 100% sure I chose North America, and got a new updated Beta key, and used it in my NC account manager and even got the email message "You have successfully applied the following serial code to NC Account"

Servers are just overloaded maybe?

It seems common, if you keep trying to log in it will eventually work, at least it did for me. I think maybe it also takes a bit for the beta licence to update on the database that the launcher is reading from but it could just be bogged down. Of course, double check that the beta code is used and on your account.

• Locked thread