Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Remember the talk about the right mouse button towards the end of the last thread? Apparently the rabbit hole of opaque UI design goes deeper.

All classes, when entering the combat portion of the tutorial and getting their weapon, have their first attack ability in action slot '1'. At the same time, for 5 out of 6 classes, the right mouse button, when clicking on an enemy, also activates this starter ability.

This is true for Quickdraw, Telekinetic Strike, Pulse Blast, Shred and Relentless Strike.

However, when a low level Medic right clicks an enemy, the character just runs up and zaps it for 1 tick of damage on a single target - clearly different from Discharge, the ability in slot 1, which has an area of effect, multiple channeled damage ticks and replenishes 1 cube of the Medic's resources.

So far so straight forward. But wait! As long as Quickdraw is anywhere on your action bar as Spellslinger, RMB will activate Quickdraw - if Quickdraw is off your bar, RMB will just feebly shoot your gun once. So I guess starting attacks have some special bond with RMB? Except the Medic one of course.

With the Engineer, it's similar. As long as either Pulse Blast or Flak Cannon is anywhere on your action bar, RMB will fire it. If both are available on the bar, it defaults to Pulse Blast, so I guess there's some internal hierarchy too. So I guess resource builders are 'RMB-enabled?' But not the Medic's starter attack (builds cube resource back up) and also not attacks that build resources but also have a cooldown (Energy Auger, Warrior Savage Strikes).

Why would you do this, it looks like the design doc just said "Come up with something complicated we'll offer no documentation for so everyone just throws up their hands and looks for addons to mod our obtuse UI so they can rebind RMB like they are used from games in the year of our lord 2014".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Humans should get to use this bodytype:

For people who want to roleplay....Flint Lockwood's dad??

Edit: Also wow, just tried Steer and KeybindFreedom and it's great!

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 9, 2014

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about. What "obvious falsehoods" and what are you talking about that I'm lying through my teeth? Like, I'm genuinely concerned that you've invented a new reality inside your own head at this point.

Seems pretty simple. You say that you personally enjoyed the level of effort made in other games to dress up and hide the drudgery of still basically identical quests, he says that's an obvious falsehood.

Know yourself before posting.

I personally agree that the questing experience is not up to the standards set by some other MMOs, or expansions of MMOs, but I'm also pretty resilient to the mundanity of questing so I'm still able to enjoy myself based on the more enjoyable way the fighting works.

At least that has been my impression of my impression, I may be wrong.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 9, 2014

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Also, while we're talking about ways to make the game experience better, changing the FOV from like 50 to 60 or 70 prevents me from getting weird headaches when playing for a while.

I think I'm just oddly vulnerable to the loving crippled standard fields of vision games love so much these days.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Apparently one of the 'addons' that the UI is cobbled together from is having some problems relating to crafting. I finally tried to look at one of the low level work orders in Gallows and the game just produces error strings when it tries to tell me what to make, and I literally can't access any Armorer recipes for Iron anymore even though last weekend it was fine.

I can force it to show me recipes I don't even have unlocked but lower level novice recipes for Armorer are just gone for me. Even reloading the UI and also restarting the game didn't fix it.

By the way, is there an in-game bug report feature or is the only way to post in the Bug Report forum?

Edit:

I also submitted a support ticket because I couldn't upgrade my Wildstar game to Deluxe and wanted to know if, having bought a code on GMG meant I'm entirely ineligible for any pre-order stuff, or if maybe the problem was having an NA game on an account with a EU IP address.

The response was "Remember, you need to own the game! Here's a link to the store where you can upgrade!" The same store that tells me I can't upgrade and must buy the full version. A code for which I already applied to my account and supplied proof in my ticket.

Oh. So it's that kind of support team :effort:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 10, 2014

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, to have access to both EU and US servers you have to buy two copies of the game? Da gently caress.

Yeah. I mean I don't own a EU copy, but since they check IP addresses the Wildstar site will only sell you regionally appropriate codes. I visited GMG via a US proxy to be able to buy a NA serial and be able to play with a number of non-goon US friends.

Edit: \/ I think that's pretty much an NCSoft thing, but I may be wrong. Anyway that's the way it was with CoH as well. Also, I was under the impression Blizzard does it too, but I may be wrong about that.

Honestly the last MMO I personally played without an enforced region split on an account level was/is EverQuest. The Sony Station account doesn't care where you live except for tax reasons. :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 10, 2014

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

CrashCat posted:

I don't know where the rumor started that you don't get any bonuses for buying from GMG, that would be pretty nonsensical. Also I would be right along with you yelling because I got it there on sale.

If I go to the Wildstar store and click on the option to buy the deluxe edition for 15 bucks (because I already own the base game) it tells me there is nothing eligible on my account to put the deluxe stuff on. Which isn't true.

That's what made me wonder if having bought a GMG code just means I'm not on their pre-order feature list either, since their website can't even tell I own the loving game.

I literally only made a support ticket to ask for clarification on this. "Hey guys, your store is still trying to sell me the full game and telling me I have nothing eligible to simply upgrade to deluxe, so I'm curious if this is a bug and whether this affects other pre-order stuff like the headstart? Here's my serial and a screenshot of the confirmation mail you sent me after I entered the GMG serial."

"Remember you have to own the game, here's a link to the store!!"

...thanks, Carbine support.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 10, 2014

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
It's kind of weird how different the amount of boring clicking is between the two tutorial ships.

Exiles is like, take quest, run forward to click console, cancel cinematic, run forward to click console, cancel cinematic, board tram, run to pick quest, grab weapon, kill, turn in, talk to 4 people in the bar+path person, go fight dominion, go into a room where you click on about 7 things, go fight more dominion, bam, departure deck.

Dominion is spawn, take quest, answer questionaire, click on 6 people, talk to emperor, take tram, cancel tram cinematic. Run to talk to Mondo, click 3 things, talk to Mondo again, grab weapons, kill, turn in, talk to emperor, go to church, talk to like 3 guys, click 6 things, take blessing, talk to emperor, go into museum, click on 4 objects, turn quest in, click on 4 people, click on 3 cameras, finally go fight holograms, talk to emperor again, departure deck.

I mean yeah it's a petty complaint but the Dominion tutorial ship feels like a bigger waste of time because there's even more poo poo to click before you get to do some real fighting. The Exile ship is more speed-runable :v:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I'm sorry, my scanbot told me the music in the exile simulation is only 0.07% likely to be listened to by actual Exiles. Immersion destroyed :colbert:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Speaking of the poll, I thought I saw a dev post somewhere that they'll make Nexus like, the test server, because Nexus is what everyone knows about Wildstar and they want to avoid literally everyone piling onto the same PVE server because hey, it's called Nexus!

Can't find it now though.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
After finally getting through to the server I get the 'Pre-Order Required' Screen. :negative:

It's been three days since I provided extensive proof that I do indeed have a Wildstar pre-order code applied to my account and would like their system to actually recognize it, and was assured they'd kick it over to the right people to have it fixed by support. Because their store refused to let me buy the deluxe upgrade and it made me worry it might not even give me regular pre-order perks if there was 'nothing eligible to upgrade'. I guess I was right to worry. Back to talking to support people I guess. :smith:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 14, 2014

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Finally got the name rammed through at least.

I guess now they have nearly three weeks to formulate their damage control tweets for when their infrastructure really catches fire on launch :shrug:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I like the idea behind Scientist because I am a huge lore junky, but having to constantly fiddle with the drone and resummon it when mobs kill it is annoying.

I like the idea of going all Indiana Jones with Explorer and finding inaccessible caves and ruins and junk, but the only Explorer stuff I've found so far is junky basic plant beacons stuff and jumping puzzles.

:negative:

My primary gripe with Scientist is that it excepts you to find all the data cubes before you get the zone completion reward every path gets for doing all jobs in a zone. Considering that ends up being like 20 cubes with absolutely no 'objective arrow' help you end up doing way more exploring as Scientist if you want the zone reward than you do as Explorer, and it's also really tedious, even though the cubes are interesting it's so time consuming.

I'll probably end up picking path based on how I like the costume anyway.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I like the way Medic plays but at the end of the day, I always go back to the Spellslinger because it just looks awesome. Resonators are such weird looking weapons, I guess I'm a little too much into space barbie dress-up, so the dumb resonators kind of ruin it for me.

This is also possibly why I prefer Warrior over Stalker. The big sweeping sword arcs and poo poo like the Ripsaw are a lot more visually exciting to me than sort of flailing at the enemy with claws.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 17, 2014

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I just noticed that notorious Cartel boss Morek Throg (who you kill in an Exile quest around Gallow) has a big slide that ends in a basin full of gold coins in his lair :allears:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Double Monocle posted:

PTSD from burning crusade and blood elfs.

Also really? You cant see the difference between wacky hamster people and sexualized bunny girls?

This made me chuckle because Draken chicks are literally "Yeah sure you could let a small child ride along on a draenei rear end, but they still had too much waist on them - I don't really want to be reminded of all those internal organs they might hide in there." :v: Dat swayback.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

folgore posted:

Because big ol titties

Alien spines can do whatever we want! Even create big weird boob shelves and having the shoulders hang over the back.

I mean I guess I'm part of the demographic being pandered to here*, I just haven't been used to it being so on the nose (although to be fair my exposure to MMOs has been limited to EQ and WoW, and I hear next expansion, draenei females are getting a less ridiculous spinal curve?)

*Unless that demographic is meant to be 'people who thought WoW Forsaken weren't hot enough', then count me out :psyduck:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 19, 2014

• Locked thread