Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mynameisjohn posted:

(Elfrid Payton is better than Tyler Ennis)

Nah.

I think Ennis is better than Smart too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'd go:

PG:
1. Dante Exum
2. Tyler Ennis
3. Marcus Smart
4. Shabazz Napier
5. Elfrid Payton
Sleeper: Jahii Carson

SG:
1. Andrew Wiggins
2. Gary Harris
3. Nik Stauskas
4. PJ Hariston
5. James Young
Sleeper: Jabari Brown

SF:
1. Jabari Paker
2. Dario Saric
3. Rodney Hood
4. Kyle Anderson
5. TJ Warren

PF:
1. Julius Randle
2. Adreian Payne
3. Doug McDermott
4. Aaron Gordon
5. Clint Capela
Sleeper: Jarnell Stokes

C:
1. Joel Embiid
2. Noah Vonleh
3. Mitch McGary
4. Jusuf Nurkic
5. I dunno who cares, Johnny O'Bryant or some euro guy

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 9, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Travis Outlaw was perfect becaue he got drafted by the Blazers at the height of the JailBlazer era. Literally everyone who followed the NBA Draft was making "of course the Blazers will take the guy named Outlaw" jokes and then they actually did it.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 9, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Seems worth a shot, the draft is a crapshoot anyway, may as well get some press around it.

Oh okay, let's not scout at all and just draw names out of a hat. It's a crapshoot!!!!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

I doubt they are just leaving it all up random internet strangers. See if anyone out there gives them anything slightly interesting for free and get some publicity out of it. Worst case, you disregard everything and just use your own data. Best case, you find some diamond in the rough to add to your front office.

Most likely case, Declan and dokmo get jobs in Sacramento

I think it's fine but "the draft is a crapshoot so who cares!" is a really dumb reason. It's not a complete crapshoot. There is a reason some teams are way better at it than others.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Alright, boss, so my numbers say we should sign Ricky Davis.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WEREWAIF posted:

Is Glenn Robinson III still considered a high potential player? He disappeared in so many games, and he really needs to tighten his handle, and learn to make 3s. Yet he remains a long athletic wing.

Sure. The liklihood of him actually reaching that potential just doesn't seem as high as it did this time last year. People figured he'd improve this season and then he didn't.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's pretty good. His stats look weird because he has to do all the shooting for his team and shoots almost nothing but threes. He is also hilarious and an all time great college basketball character. He's not going to make the NBA though, tragically.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mynameisjohn posted:

Marshall Henderson can do no wrong in my eyes.

He kinda did wrong though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tyler Ennis isn't a spotty shooter. He is a pretty spotty finisher around the basket which is concerning, but he's a good shooter.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Time posted:

Nbadraft.net for hilarious ones

Nothing will ever be funnier than that time nbadraft.net compared DeShawn Stevenson to Michael Jordan.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's at least more creative than I GOT HACKED

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

the_american_dream posted:

Yes. That. Point stands.

Edit: Unless im confusing Vasquez and hes not someone who is slow and cant shoot

Ennis is a way better shooter than Declan's giving him credit for.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
why the heck did they go with the screwed up, non-Muslim version of Hakeem's name?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Stauskas and McDermott both apparently had insane shooting workouts so I guess maybe that will help? I dunno. And Stauskas reportedly looks really good handling the ball and has people thinking he could play some point (which: maybe; he's going to have a hard time getting to and finishing around the basket but he makes good decisions running the pick and roll and is a pretty good passer/ball handler). Stauskas could potentially be like a poor man's Steph Curry, if you want to play the player comparison game.

Declan MacManus posted:

It would be odd to draft Parker instead of Wiggins first but it could end up looking good in retrospect. But hey, most drafting things end up looking different in retrospect

If it's a team they think is desperate to Win Now or Utah they give them Parker and everyone else gets Wiggins. I don't think it's much more complicated than that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jabari Parker is a very good player and it's a defensible opinion. Wiggins has a pretty long way to go offensively.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fisticuffs posted:

There is a huge difference in the level of skill Jabari has right now and the level of skill Wiggins has right now, did you watch them in college?

Offensively sure, but when you factor in defense it's a lot closer. Parker was one of the worst defensive players in the country, to the point that they couldn't even have him on the floor down the stretch against Mercer. Wiggins might have been the best defensive wing in college basketball (perhaps best demonstrated by the way he shut Parker down when they played head to head and Bill Self finally said "hey maybe I should let my best defender guard their best player")

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 16, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's likely not going to rebound as well in the pros, and you're seriously underselling how bad he is at both man to man and team defense. He was always late on rotations and could get pick and rolled to death. Teams were actively targetting him. And athletically he's a tweener who struggles to keep up with quicker wings laterally and is too small to really bang down low with power forwards. He wasn't just kinda bad, he was a borderline disaster. He's probably the best offensive player in the draft right now, but the defense is a real issue.

e: and if you're going to blame Duke's system for part of Jabari's struggles you really need to factor in that Self did a pretty piss poor job of featuring Wiggins offensively too.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 16, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DOOP posted:

Can Dante Exum shoot? A MCW-Exum backcourt sounds sweet, but one of them (or both) needs to learn how to shoot.

Noooope.

I mean supposedly, anyway. No one has actually watched Dante Exum play meaningful basketball for like a year because he might as well be playing in Antarctica.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Parker's shooting did fall off a decent bit as the season went on, although he can still effective score in a lot of other ways.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's still going to instantly be one of the best shooters in the league, so you're at least getting that. And his post game is crafty enough that he can probably do some small ball stuff. He was going to need to be hidden on defense regardless of where he played.

Hopefully Gordon's measurments convince teams to play him at PF instead of loving around with him at the 3, where he's awful.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Zach LaVine measured well and might be the most athletic player in the draft

No.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

He was awesome at defending wings but I guess college wings that's not as impressive?

He can play defense at either spot, but if you draft him with the idea that he's going to play on the wing in the NBA you are basically drafting Michael Kidd-Gilcrist.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

I wouldn't agree on the hindsight part. I personally thought Bradley Beal was the second best player in the draft by a noticeable margin. Drummond would have been up there as well if it weren't for personality concerns leading into the NBA.

Bradley Beal was a shooter who shot pretty poorly in his one season of college. I think I wound up having him ranked second as well because his reputation and form gave reason to believe he'd bounce back, but there were reasons to be skeptical. And Drummond was a straight up bad college player. There would have been one of those Ted Ginn-esque gifs if Andre Drummond had gone 2nd in the draft, even if it would have been a better pick in hindsight. MKG was the best one on one defender in the country by miles, really young, a great athlete, possessed great size and length, was not put in a situation where he had to do a lot of stuff he wasn't good at, and had a ton of intangible poo poo that made people think he could get better. He finishes around the rim really well and even has a nifty little post game he can use to punish smaller defenders and get to the line. If he ever developed any sort of jumper he could be a really valuable player.

Crazy Ted posted:

Well I don't think any of us thought he would actually turn out that bad.

Me, but it's hard to remember how much of that was spite.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

Also the draft lottery is tonight so if you want to watch Dan Gilbert's fuckface kid back into another #1 overall pick and everyone act like it's a loving miracle of statistics from G_d you can do that before tonight's playoff game on ESPN.

goddammit is that stupid kid still not dead?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Great White Hope posted:

NF isn't really the kind of disease that kills quickly, it causes an unbelievable shitload of pain, though.

That's comforting at least, but the first time he won the lottery I was promised that he'd be dead soon and yet he's back in a stupid outfit and a stupid bow tie every stupid year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think it was pretty well known that Kwame and Bargnani were the guys before those drafts happened. At least that's how I remember it, especially with Bargs (I'm pretty sure on Kwame too, but I might have just known that it was going to be one of the high schoolers without knowing which one). Bennett was legitimately out of nowhere and shocking. Bill Simmons going "WOAH" as it happened was pretty much my reaction too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

double sulk posted:

Can't wait for the Sixers to get absolutely hosed tonight and end up with something like a 5-7 pick.

This would be super funny.

Just let Utah move up to three, I don't want to be greedy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

double sulk posted:

If you want to get real mad, go read the Bill Simmons article where he says that the Celtics are the second most deserving team of the top pick based on karma.

Even levaing aside that karma is a dumb pretend thing not worth arguing about, what the heck did you think you were getting from a column by Bill Simmons? If you're mad that's your own dumb fault.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

Would this be as hilarious as I'm imagining it would be?

Yes

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I guess best case for Utah now is Randle. Or Vonleh, I guess. It would probably mean trying to trade Kanter, but oh well. They're not taking a point guard two years in a row (well they might with their other first rounder or second rounder, but I doubt in the lottery). They could take Gordon but gently caress.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Randle to David Lee is a solid cross-race comparison, so props to them for that. That beats my ridiculous Nik Stauskas to Steph Curry one from earlier.

e: aahhhhhh they compared Kyle Anderson to Derrick Rose. Do they mean Derrick Rose right now?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Lee, David 6'7¾" 6'9" 229½ 7'0" 8'10½"

Whoa. It's eerie.

They have similar games too! I guess Randle is probably stronger in the post and Lee a little more skilled on the perimeter, but it's not bad as far as these things go. I like it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

People who know stuff: Is Harris a significantly better prospect than Stauskas?

He has a higher ceiling but it depends on his shooting bouncing back to freshman levels and him finally staying healthy. Stauskas is safer because you at least know he's going to have one elite NBA skill.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 21, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He shot really well as a freshman and then not as well as a sophomore.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I would hope so because his shot is never falling.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Doltos posted:

What role would Payne settle into? He looked like a pretty decent ranged shooter whenever I watched him. What's his ceiling, Channing Frye?

He's a lot better in the post and on defense than Frye.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Icy Penguigo posted:

How serious are Embiid's injuries?

His agent isn't letting anyone do a medical examination on him so no one has any clue.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

By the way as an armchair draftist or whatever the gently caress you want to call me there is almost zero chance I would take a player who would not submit to a medical examination at their projected draft spot. Right to privacy yeah yeah etc. but finding out you have a bad back is not something that I want to do after I've drafted you. I don't know if Embiid's stock will take a serious hit but I'd probably move Parker solidly ahead of him until he's medically cleared.

Maybe he'd do it for teams in the Top 3, but I know he wouldn't go the combine for that reason.

The latest DX Mock has Utah taking Marcus Smart, Kyle Anderson, and Isiah Austin, which really feels like an attempt to troll me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kiimo is, shockingly, optimistic about the chances of a University of Kansas player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

And you are, shockingly, pessimistic about them. I'm just trying to be clear here in that nobody knows. I keep seeing Greg Oden comparisons and those are just silly.

I am teasing you, dork. I have probably written more complementary things about Emiid in the draft thread than anyone else and have called Wiggins the best player all year.

Greg Oden also did not have "chronic" injury problems at the time he was drafted though.

• Locked thread