Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is there much chance that Hairston rises in the draft? He seems like a guy whose stock is low because of off-court stuff that'll look better to teams in workouts. It'd be nice if Charlotte could get a shooter late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

WHAT

Crowd-sourcing a draft pick?

Vivek Ranadive posted:

3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

DraftExpress has the full combine measurements if anyone wants them.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Kibner posted:

I imagine just the simple caliper test.

e: Also, I didn't know the combine had already happened.

It's going on now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

The red flags for MKG were his lack of a jumper and his pretty middling efficiency numbers when looking at how often he was shooting at the rim and/or in transition. He did get to the line like a ton, though, it's strange that hasn't carried over. He doesn't attack the basket as much in the pros. Then again, the Bobcats spacing might not be there either.

He's hesitant about attacking because his handle is still not great and he doesn't have many polished moves near the basket he can go to. He ends up getting whistled for charges a lot as a result, and that makes him second-guess himself even more, especially since he's still struggling with foul trouble.

Even if he never fixes that busted jumper, he'll get better near the basket, at drawing fouls and on the break. I feel like he'll eventually be a 12-15-point player regardless, and he brings enough elsewhere that he's going to have value.

As far as how the pick was perceived at the time, pretty much everyone liked the pick.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

MKG is fast and strong and you can't keep dudes like that down for long. There's no reason he can't be a Gerald Wallace type player in the next two years.

Just putting him next to a shooting guard that can hit a three would help a lot.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hey man, he ended up with a 6.9 PER.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Inside Outside posted:

I expected to hate the poo poo out of Kelly Olynyk and instead I am merely indifferent to him. That's the most praise I can muster.

He can hit three-pointers, so there's at least some novelty

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Huge get for Charlotte. Draft a shooter, please (that isn't Doug McDermott) (it's going to be Doug McDermott)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Also, gently caress Cleveland

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

jimcunningham posted:

Im thinking
Cavs - Embiid or Saric bc Cleveland
Bucks - Wiggins
76ers - Parker
Magic - Randle
Jazz - Gordon
Celtics - Exum
Lakers - Smart
Kings - Vonleh
Hornets - McDermott
76ers - Saric
Nuggets - Lavine
Magic - Nurkic
Twolves - Stauskas
Suns - trade

Hornets won't actually take McDermott, I was just trying to guess which left-field prospect they'd take that would make me kind of angry despite not really knowing anything about these guys. They'll probably just take whichever SG they like best.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

People who know stuff: Is Harris a significantly better prospect than Stauskas?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

In my experience goons are typically really happy if their team drafts an elite (or perceived elite) shooter so I'm sure that even though Harris is the better prospect a lot of posters here would rather have Stauskas

Thanks. From what I've read, Harris seems like the better/safer pick, and he probably wouldn't be asked to do much right away other than catch and shoot for the Hornets. Part of me wants them to try and shoot the moon with Zach LaVine, since they top out at as like a fifth seed right now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Doltos posted:

Cleveland was trying to sick tradez everyone last year with their #1 and no one bit on their (rumored) ridiculous asking price. I wonder if they try that again this year.

This year's No. 1 + future picks + a few prospects might be the best Minnesota could get for Love, though even Cleveland might not be stupid enough to do that trade without an extension.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

thegoonofaudio posted:

I don't believe in the rigging stuff but maybe they should have rules in place to prevent stuff like this (though it's not gonna happen, a lot of people like the randomness), like if your draft pick was top 3 you can't have a top 3 pick the next year (even if your top 3 pick the previous year wasn't yours but was traded to another team). Just a speculation not saying it's a good idea at all, just an idea. There's just so many injustices lol.

It's probably never going to happen again, so who cares

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Here's Dario Saric dropping 36 points. Suddenly interested.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Are the Z-Bo comparisons just because he's a baby-faced doughboy?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

DOOP posted:

With the Kings shopping the #8 pick, would Thad + Stuff for #8 be a (good) thing that could happen? The Kings almost did a Thad/Cousins deal last draft, so it could be possible.

Sixers. Veteran presence. What's that?

I don't know that anyone's giving up a pick for a year of Young.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

Eh, 19 million for 2 more years of Thad isn't steller and I don't think the Kings would want another PF. So probably not.

He has an ETO in the second year, and I imagine he'd want a long-term deal.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

kiimo posted:

Whoa he attempted 9 three pointers in 93-94 and missed all of them, got traded to the Lakers and the next year he attempted 146 and made .397 of them. Man there's a crazy story there.

They made the three-point line shorter from 94-95 to 96-97.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It's even dumber considering that a lot of the teams that would be interested in him around there would be really good options.

Draftexpress have Charlotte taking him at 9 (Jordan's team, need a PF, just made the playoffs), after that is Philly, who have the ROY, Noel, and the #3 pick, then Denver, who are a playoff team when healthy and would probably be interested, next is Orlando who's PF spot is up for grabs and have the #4 pick, and then Minny who might be trading Kevin Love.

Charlotte's probably going to re-sign Josh McRoberts, and they just took Cody Zeller, so they don't really need a power forward. I think it'd be an interesting pick, though, even if he stays in Europe a year. From what I understand he can play both forward spots, and Zeller can hopefully slide to center (especially as he gains muscle).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

You could get Randle or Vonleh too. Vonleh actually seems like a good fit next to Cousins.

If the Magic do take Smart (and they reportedly love him last year) that would leave Exum for Utah which would be pretty cool (although it'd still leave them woefully short on shooting). Otherwise it's probably either Vonleh or Randle. I think I'd rather have Vonleh. His shooting would open things up, and between him, Favors, Evans, and The Go Bear they would block All The Shots. They could probably look at trying to trade Kanter for something too. Then with the second first rounder I'd really like Hariston, but I could live with one of the UCLA guys too.

It seems like fans of every team in the late first round want Hairston. I can't tell if that means he's going to go way higher than expected or drop like a stone.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

swizz posted:

The word is that Charlotte will take him at #24 if he's there

He'd be a good fit. I'm expecting them to blow at least one of their picks on a trade, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

chunkles posted:

That guy has a seriously great name in perhaps the strongest name draft in league history.

Maybe if you want a Star Trek villain on your team.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Defense is probably what you'd be worried about, anyway, and from what I understand he's a better defensive prospect than the other two-guards.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I think I've talked myself into basically every top-20 prospect. It's nice watching highlight videos and just imagining the best-case scenario for everybody.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BIZORT posted:

Every year we all, more or less, agree on at least one guy that will bust but I'm not sure we've all come to that consensus yet for this draft. The only one we've been wrong about off the top of my head is Drummond

I'd guess McDermott, LaVine and Gordon are the finalists this year.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

euphronius posted:

The 10 pick is worth giving up to ensure you get the guy you want imho.

Yeah, if they really want Wiggins, it's probably the only way to guarantee that. Every year you see variations on the "Bucks are in love with Parker!" stories, and they end up taking someone else.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

Is he though? Gordon and Vonleh seem to be moving up and Randle and Smart have the "NBA ready" tags which might be more along the lines of what the Kings and Lakers are looking for. I would imagine he probably doesn't slide past the Hornets but that's a big money drop which matters for a guy who needs to contribute to a buyout to come over.

Kemba being decent enough + the Bismack Biyombo experiment would probably be enough to scare off the Hornets. Stuff like this makes me think they're going to trade it away or grab a low-upside shooter, anyway.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Charlotte always seems to dump a lot of misinformation leading up to the draft, but I wouldn't be shocked by McDermott. The ghost of Adam Morrison makes me nervous and taking two white guys in a row is probably dumb, but it seems like an OK pick.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

There is no one on that team who can shoot right now, McDermott or Stauskas would both make a lot of sense.

Yeah, I'm mostly kidding. He'd be a good fit, especially if Jeff Taylor struggles to come back from the Achilles injury and/or they eventually shift Zeller to center. Watching Gary Neal and McDermott play defense together off the bench would be hilarious, though.

I'd prefer Stauskas or Harris, but they finally have a competent enough core that I'd be fine with any non-crazy pick.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

I don't get how Charlotte takes McDermott unless they play him and Biyombo at the same time 6 on 5 and claim that together they make one NBA player.

Would taking Rodney Hood at 9 be a decent pick for the Hornets or is that too high?

Jeff Taylor's coming off a ripped Achilles and they need a backup small forward/insurance at power forward in case they can't re-sign Josh McRoberts. McDermott probably won't be able to defend either forward position, but MKG is at least flexible enough to help cover that up.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Saric waited until 10 minutes before the deadline, but he's staying in the draft.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The 76ers are putting insane pressure on themselves by coveting Wiggins so highly so openly.

Apparently Embiid's failed medical was a clever ruse by the Cavaliers to acquire picks and still draft Embiid: http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/17301146-embiids-medical-red-flags-could-be-a-smokescreen-by-cavaliers

So I guess he's good to go and will be the #1 pick?

That's basically a Bleacher Report article.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Pelton's been using WARP for years in the Basketball Prospectus. It's all kind of wonky bullshit, but they've had some interesting hits in seasons past if you ignore all the times they're wrong.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Am I missing something? If you think Embiid is the best in the draft why do you give a poo poo if his foot is broken?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Redgrendel2001 posted:

gently caress. Sixers can't catch a break :( Looking forward to another decade of meiocrity.

They'll probably be ok. From the latest Woj article:

quote:

Philadelphia has had discussions with teams about gathering an additional pick between its two current choices at No. 3 and No. 10.

Three top-10 picks in a deep draft wouldn't be a bad place to start a rebuild.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

From Woj: Joel Embiid has suffered stress fracture in right foot and slated for surgery on Friday, agent Arn Tellem says. "Joel will be unable to participate in any additional workouts, and will not attend the draft in New York."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Embiid doesn't seem too torn up about it, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

If they don't hit the minimum they just pay the guys they have extra.

• Locked thread