Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I thought the Harris twins were going back to UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Declan MacManus posted:

Gary Harris is a shooting guard from MSU. :)

Ahh, when you said the Harrises, I thought you were talking about the twins. :p

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Those are Harrisons.

dongsbot 9000 posted:

What about Hairstons?

Well, poo poo. So many similar last names. D:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Who are the Spurs going to take with the 28th/29th pick and turn into the 2016 runner-up for Sixth Man of the Year?

Marshall Henderson.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

Nooo Pop would ruin Henderson by turning him into a well behaved and productive member of society.

Pop wasn't able to tame Jackson and Manu still does crazy poo poo. Marshall would be fine.

:getin:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This .gif is all you need to know about Henderson:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/21617167/afternoon-delight-weird-saturday-so-far-let-us-count-the-ways-

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks for the writeups and the style comparison. I haven't actually watched most of these guys so the pros/cons with the comps helps me to visualize how they play.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

the_american_dream posted:

A short Greives Vasquez sounds a player that should not be drafted

Style, not potential.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

I would really like to know how these guys come up with body fat percentages. Russ Smith, 5'11" and 3.5% body fat, presumably a decomposing skeleton.

I imagine just the simple caliper test.

e: Also, I didn't know the combine had already happened.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

JRizzle posted:

Why do shoes add such a random amount of height to people? Glenn Robinson's shoes apparently add 1.28 inches to his height.

Different shoes have different sole thicknesses and some players like to wear lifts. The most infamous one I can think of recently is Cole Aldrich. His added 2.25 inches to his height.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Yes. That. Point stands.

Edit: Unless im confusing Vasquez and hes not someone who is slow and cant shoot

Vasquez is slow but can shoot.

Forget about the quality of player that is in the comparison. It is just being used to give you a better idea of the actions the prospect takes while playing. For a (bad) example, Royce White played similar to LeBron. Doesn't mean Royce was the next LeBron. Just meant that he plays point forward.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ah ok

I know how these are supposed to work my guy.

Your post is exactly why I said I liked the comparisons in the last thread. I guess your confusion is I dont think Vasquez is a good player and a shorter guy with his STYLE sounds dreadful. Not that he will literally be Vasquez

My bad. :)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chilihead posted:

I really don't understand the lottery. All the non-playoff teams have a certain percentage to win the lottery, this i understand. After a team "wins" the lottery it picks first and bumps all the teams with the least wins back a spot in the draft. This is how i understand the lottery to work. The problem is i am a magic fan and whenever i run the lottery projections they can pick anywhere from 1st to 6th.

So how does it work? Also if anyone wants to tell me good things about Dario Saric, it seems he is a projected Magic pick at number 12.

The lottery is for the first three picks. If you have the worst record in the league, the worst pick you can get is the fourth.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Drummond was drafted at #9. I know this because I was looking forward to the Hornets drafting him at 10, but he got selected just before.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I thought MKG was also a top-tier athletic guy. Or am I just remembering wrong? I honestly haven't watched much of him in the pros.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

On reddit, someone asked if he could turn it around and you had all these people coming out insisting that he'll be an all-star and that it was only because of a terrible situation that he put up historically bad numbers.

Hey now, Austin Rivers improved to mediocre bench player this year! Bennett totally has a chance.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

I think we can all agree that Bennett can improve on his terrible season and that he has some tools, but I can't even imagine the mental gymnastics it would take to look at that season and say "yep, that's a future Jamal Mashburn all-star right there".

Yeah, but was that ever expected out of anyone in that draft?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

Hey man, he ended up with a 6.9 PER.

For comparison, that is a full point higher than Rivers who had been playing with an ankle injury against starters.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm hopin! I mean what is Cleveland's biggest need?

A smart front-office and coaching staff.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Does Patric Young project as a second rounder? How effective would he be in a Reggie Evans type role?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Huh, I though Smart would have registered just as high on the bust scale as those guys.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

vegaji posted:

Though he is (literally) half blind, he has a pretty good looking jumpshot for a 7-footer.

The problem is he does nothing that 7-footers are supposed to do.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Anthony Davis showed very few offensive skills in his one year of college ball. He has been fantastic on offense in the NBA since his first game.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
One of the local Hornet/Pelican sites does a series called Value of a Draft Pick about this exact subject! Here is the article from the Anthony Davis draft: http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2012/06/22/the-value-of-a-draft-pick-and-the-hornets-picks/

Basically, the number 1 pick is amazing but 2-5 only have ~33% chance of being a star.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 27, 2014

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Here is the important part of the article so you don't have to click on it:

quote:

To determine the value of a pick, I assigned an overall career ranking based on PER and a bastardized Wages of Wins Win Score and applied it to all the players who have been taken in the draft since 1984. Â I also cut off my evaluation of players after 2008 since since it is hard to judge a career trajectory in three seasons. Finally I jammed those numbers into a simple Grade ranking. Below is what each grade means, and I give an example player:
  • N/A – the player never logged an NBA minute. (Tim Pickett, Andrew Betts)
  • F – The player never developed and earned only minor garbage time minutes – or was really, really bad. (Hilton Armstrong, Cedric Simmons. Yay 2006 draft!)
  • D – A substitute – possibly in the rotation, but a 8th or 9th man at best. (Aaron Gray, Julian Wright)
  • C – A fringe starter, 6th-8th man sort. (JR Smith, Jason Smith)
  • B – A solid starter (David West, Jamaal Magloire)
  • A – A star (Pre-fat Baron Davis, Chris Paul)
The picks fell rather logically into groups based on their average rating so I’ve collated those groups in the below table and then determined the % chance of receiving each classification of player.

pre:
Pick(s)	“A” 	“B” 	“C” 	“D” 	“F” 	“N/A”
1	57%	13%	22%	4%	4%	0%
2-5	34%	23%	24%	13%	5%	1%
6-10	17%	17%	22%	28%	16%	0%
11-18	8%	13%	20%	28%	30%	1%
19-27	5%	8%	20%	31%	32%	3%
28-37	2%	5%	10%	28%	40%	15%
38-60	1%	2%	10%	19%	29%	40%

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Declan, I appreciate the comparisons. :)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
You need some type of veteran presence on the team, if only to help the young guys learn how to make it as a professional player. Having that advice come from a peer as opposed to a coach can make a difference. It would probably be better if it was someone cheaper than Thad, but I don't see it necessarily being a bad thing if he is kept through his current contract.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

C. Everett Koop posted:

Every time I see Randle I keep thinking he's the bizarro universe Tyrone Hill and I don't know why. Either way I wouldn't touch him or McDermott, Gordon or bust I guess.

If Embiid somehow fell to Philly, would Nerlens be able to play the 4 or would they be smarter to try and deal the pick?

No one knows what Nerlens will be able to do. Before injury, he was quick and instinctive, but lacked strength and generally only scored off of putbacks and oops.

I'd still take Embiid regardless of how well or not Nerlens would fit in with him. Worst case, you have trade bait.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

I'd guess McDermott, LaVine and Gordon are the finalists this year.

McDermott can at least give something valuable to a team. Those other two are a bit more questionable.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Why do I get the feeling he'll basically be Rodney Stuckey?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Yeah I was actually confusing them for the Pelicans who need another guard. Ugh I'm going to do that a lot for a while.

The one thing the Pelicans don't need is a guard. They have Jrue, Gordon, and Tyreke as the heavy minute guys then Roberts, Rivers, and Pierre Jackson as backups.

They need a SF desperately, though. Wonder if they will be able to buy a pick late in the first or somewhere in the second to compete with... Darius Miller.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The Sixers have the former Hornets/now Pelicans #10 and every time I see "Hornets #9" I'm puzzled for a few seconds.

I'm just glad no one will call them Charlotte anymore. Even after 10 years in New Orleans, they would frequently be called the Charlotte Hornets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Philly hasn't proven themselves as a place where talent dies, so I guess them. :effort:

• Locked thread