Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
"Well, if you must know, I think Andrew Wiggins is your wisest choice."

"Uh, Probably Magic, Wiggins is already drafted."

"Yeah, well, that's why they call it a 'contested claim.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

SCARYJEINFELD posted:

I hope Henderson doesn't get drafted so I can like, buy insurance off him or whatever in 12 years

I don't think you can run an insurance company from jail, especially if you're in there for meth production.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

No Safe Word posted:

:supaburn: using a line chart for what should be a scatter chart (just don't connect the dots!) :supaburn:

I like this version, though, because it's detailing a devolution. From Duncan To Bennett, A Survey of What Number One Picks Can Do For You.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

MourningView posted:

Embiid and it's not all that close. He is not quite as disruptive defensively, but it's not a huge gap, and he's lightyears ahead of where Noel is on offense. They both have injury concerns too.

I think he meant in tandem, in which... eh, I don't think that's a great combo. Lot of size, sure, and maybe rises hopes of the Robinson/Duncan Spurs, but neither are super-great jump shooters (though for size, they're not too bad), so you'd be giving up a lot on that end of offense.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Chris de Sperg posted:

I'm pretty certain the "7 foot Serge Ibaka" comment came from Bill Simmons soooooooo

If that's the logic that's making him seem so insistent that Embiid go first, then....

I think it's kinda a tough decision for that first 3 on who to draft. Wiggins and Embiid have way more potential than Parker (not to say that Parker is bad), but they both have a bit of rawness, with Wiggins having to adjust to an offense that lets him drive more and Embiid still working on the learning curve that comes with playing basketball for four years. And the Cavs, Bucks, and Sixers are in such "need now" modes that they can't really afford to do projects... it kinda scares me for the KU guys. Not that they're huge projects, but those three teams haven't proven great at developing people. Parker will be fine and great, but people treating him like a "true" Number One... he doesn't have nearly the defense of the other two. It's a tough deal.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Mandrel posted:

"Scout 1" who is apparently an NBA GM who is probably Danny Ainge or something sounds like a big dumbass in that article who's just regurgitating media narratives. I always assume anonymous league GMs who contribute to these articles are the terrible ones anyway.

"I've never seen the player who dropped forty points in a game while his injured post player was gone take over a game. Where's his cajones?"

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The B_36 posted:

I'd like to think my position is a bit more nuanced than what you claim it to be. First off, there's been plenty of freakishly athletic big men who were legitimately good #1 picks, but they all had a great track record to call upon. Secondly, I don't think Embiid turning into a really good player (a reasonable outcome) really disproves the point I'm trying to make here. With Jabari Parker, its very likely he turns into the next Carmelo Anthony, perhaps the best pure scorer of his generation, a top 5 player. And Wiggins will likely be even better than that, because he's more versatile, and understands that defense is a thing that professional basketballers should attempt.

The question I'm asking is, as an NBA GM, do you pass up on those guys to pick a freakishly athletic but kinda raw 7 footer who's still learning the game? 9 times out of 10, the right answer hasn't been the 7 footer.

You're acting like the guy is getting drafted straight from Cameroon or from a mid-major conference. He was on a team with multiple blue chip players in one of the hardest conferences in college basketball. He's not that big of an x-factor beyond the back injury (which is a huuuuuuge x-factor, but you seem to be bringing up the stats more than that.)

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't Dirk start playing basketball when he was 15?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

District Selectman posted:

In 1974 Bill Walton went Top 5 and is ranked 65 All Time!

In 1984 Hakeem, Jordan and Barkley went in the Top 5 and are ranked 2, 3 and 17 All Time!

In 1994 Jason Kidd, Grant Hill were drafted Top 5 and are ranked 26 and 68 All Time!

In 2004, Dwight Howard was drafted Top 5 and ranks 86 All Time!

Clearly by the rules of the ending in '4 Draft Guide Lines, there will be at least one Top 100 All Time player in this draft.

And that player will be Marcus Smart.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

What similarities are those, kiimo

They have consonants in their names.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The Julius Hodge comp makes me extremely, extremely angry.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The Asian Oprah posted:

Are you trying to tell me the Milwaukee Bucks Franchise existed BEFORE Giannis?? :wth:

There is even a member of the Heat who was a member of the Bucks once. Scary, I know. :iiam:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

He'll suck. He's not a great shooter, and sure, he can bulldoze into the lane and get his own shots, so that makes him... a slightly better Sherron Collins. For a guard in the NBA, that's not great.

Also, not to make a huge deal of the flopping thing, but generally, if you're getting caught flopping in the NCAA, it's not just a sign you're a flopper, it's a sign you're a bad defender because you sure as hell are going to get called for the blocking foul or what have you in the NBA if you're being that blatant on the collegiate level. Everyone flops, but Smart's problem is that he's not very good at selling it sufficiently.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

kiimo posted:

Sherron Collins is 5'10 and a half tops with a huge giant Taco Bell problem. Smart is 6'4 or just under. That's really not a good comparison. You really think he'll suck? C'mon. When I say warrior I'm not using that hyperbole lightly like a superfan or something. He gets after it and that is a real thing not an imaginary homer thing to say, especially considering I hate his loving guts.

I meant more in the "bull down into the lane against all odds" way, I know they're not even the same position. But it's not a thing that works for NBA guards in general unless you have the shot to back it up. He doesn't have amazing handles, he's not really that much of an assist guy... his best chance was getting drafted high last year, and we all know what that class was like. That was the only class he could really make a splash in and why he had publicity coming into this year. He's not going to be that great. If he is, great for him, I wish him no ill will, but I wouldn't hedge my bets on his success.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Rick posted:

:siren: Don't click this if you hate the Lakers :siren:

I think it's a pretty interesting to see what basically amounts to the second tier of the draft class thinks of themselves and I guess you could just skip the sections where they talk about how much they love the Lakers and Kobe.

McDermott sounds realistic about himself at least in his self-comps and perceived weaknesses. Whether that means anything at the next level would remain to be seen, and I'm not sure he's the sort of guy the Lakers need, but he seems pretty cool in that, at least.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't Marfan really connected to giantism? That might explain also why he was always a beanpole and never seemed to put on any muscle. Or maybe that's not how Marfan works at all.

Either way, that really sucks.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Would that effect regular muscle growth, though? Maybe that's a stupid question, just wondering if that's held back Austin in areas other than getting drafted.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Marcus Smart, Number One Draft Pick.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Rick posted:

I've spent the last few days in Lakers places being bombarded with Smart to the point I passionately hate him now. Nobody ever says why either it's always "he's the perfect PG to play next to Kobe!!"

You should hate him. Also, what I'd give to see him on the same team as MWP, but alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

WEREWAIF posted:

What I can't figure out is if Chad Ford was saying that Embiid has some sort of hepatitis, some type of anemia, and a bone density problem, or was only saying that it's relatively common for prospects from Africa to have all of those issues, without them necessarily affecting performance.
It's very curioso.

I mean, sickle-cell anemia is common in Africa and the Mediterranean area, but that's not really a big deal. It's well-known, though, that no African center has ever succeeded in the league, especially ones who lied about their age and were secretly 30 when they stumbled in.

• Locked thread