Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Exum refuted the claims that he'll only play for the Lakers. I honestly don't know anything about him, I just am hoping the Lakers draft big since I think their front line is going to be pretty awful for sure next year, while their back court is just likely to be awful instead of a sure thing.

E: All the mock drafts say different things and it confuses me, I can't navigate this at all so I'm just going to play with this ESPN thing http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2014/mockdraft because the Lakers keep getting the second pick out of it and then #1 drafts Parker first instead of Wiggins every time.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

whiggles posted:

Hah, that's the best way to hype your hyped hyper-prospect. I hope we get a shot of Wiggins sprinting, with his agent in the shot sporting a grin and holding a stopwatch that reads 4.24

I'm sensing a return of the "Photoshopped Will Chamberlain 100 point game" meme.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

He's still going to instantly be one of the best shooters in the league, so you're at least getting that. And his post game is crafty enough that he can probably do some small ball stuff. He was going to need to be hidden on defense regardless of where he played.

Hopefully Gordon's measurments convince teams to play him at PF instead of loving around with him at the 3, where he's awful.

No.

He was awesome at defending wings but I guess college wings that's not as impressive?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Think how long it's been since the Lakers have had the first pick. Just seems fair they get it to me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel like a lot of the Lakers/Exum stuff is completely manufactured. I mean the Lakers have liked a lot of guys in the past and they've never bought them expensive game tickets 10 times throughout the season. That feels like an agent trying to create an appearance.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

God dammit, the Lakers are gonna draft Aaron Gordon, aren't they?

It would make me happy.

I kind of think the Lakers are going to trade down though if they can.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

old dog child posted:

I was day dreaming so much about a top 3 pick that now I'm lost and confused about what the Lakers will do with a 7th. Though I agree with you; I think trading down would be better for the team since we owe so many picks. I can't even really picture how next season is going to look. I suspect it's depressing.

Yeah I have no clue how next season is going to go but I'd be lying if I said I was optimistic. I know Kupchak has said they scouted as if they could end up picking as low as 15, so I'm sure there's a lot of people they're interested in. But yeah, they need so many pieces right now that moving down might be the best way to more holes.

I think the Lakers want a big because otherwise Robert Sacre is starting so I think at 7 the possibly-available dudes are Vonleh and Gordon.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Worthy of a read for the player comparisons.

http://hoopshype.com/draft.htm

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't know why I'm so bothered by Marcus Smart because I've seen him play and he wasn't bad, it's just I feel like the descriptions of him are actively trying to fool me. Like when people talk about Aaron Afflalo's defense.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm still really into the Lakers drafting Aaron Gordon, largely admittedly for personal reasons, although I'm also fascinated by Vonleh and think he might really help Pau out in an imaginary world where Pau re-signs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

kiimo posted:

^^^ Aaron Gordon vs. Blake Griffin in Staples Center is too perfect for words.

The injury isn't a problem. It's a common injury and one I've had personally. His knee is nothing, it was a hyper-extension that just looked bad. The legit worry is that his back becomes a chronic injury but that's just as big a guess as anything. He's never hurt his back before so anyone saying it is chronic now doesn't understand the word. For what it's worth my back injury stopped recurring the second I started wearing a back brace and I bet he will start too, for prevention's sake. Of course I'm 5'11 so I don't think my story is much use determining what will happen with a 7 footer so I'll stop talking about it now.

I don't totally see the Gordon/Griffin comparisons that everyone else does. And after a year of watching him, if I'm really really honest the player he reminds me most of is Ron Artest who isn't clumsy or young Shane Battier who can dribble and (kind of) post.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

I would like to see this Aaron Gordon who doesn't look clumsy and can dribble.

I thought in the games where Arizona put him in charge of pushing the break he handled the ball really well.

And c'mon, Ron Artest looks like a broken model car that's violently vibrating, about to explode sending gears and wheels everywhere every time he dribble drives, Aarong Gordon doesn't ever look like that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Time posted:

Also he can't shoot for poo poo so the Shane battier comp seems off

Shane Battier wasn't much of a shooter when he was young either, thus "young Shane Battier."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

TheGreyGhost posted:

I know the popular SAS hivemind thing is "lol cavs gonna gently caress up" but we do have a new GM finally who isn't Chris Grant or Danny Ferry. He did the Hawes trade which has worked out fairly well all things considered, and I'm pretty sure the entire town would riot if he traded that pick at this point since everyone wants Wiggins or Embiid based on what I'm reading. I think Wiggins would do more just because he's a more complete player right now and can be a perimeter defender for a team that sorely needs one.

It's not the "hive mind."

It's that the only time the Cavs have ever made a correct draft pick in my life time was Lebron James.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Kyrie Irving was probably the correct pick too.

Congrats Cavs, two correct picks in 30 years.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Parker can get up in the air pretty well, but his lateral quickness leaves a lot to be desired. And there are rumors he's out of shape right now, which has been a pretty consistent problem for him since he got hurt in high school.

I could seen him being a Glenn Robinson type. He's the same sort of tweener. I think he's more well rounded as a scorer though. He can shoot threes and seems more eager to post smaller guys up (although I might be misremembering college Robinson, I was really young). Big Dog, at least in the NBA, was all about the mid-range jumper.

e: actually Robinson was a way better three point shooter than I apparently remember, but he didn't shoot a ton of them for a big chunk of his career.

My memory of Robinson was that he was hyperconcerned about his stats, so he didn't start to shoot the three until he could knock it down at a decent clip.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's really tough to defend Gordon because he was so inconsistent so he could definitely bust. I really like post-Brandon-Ashley-Injury-Playing-Power-Forward Gordon quite a bit.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think you have to have a team though, and commit to that team, because that's when I finally started finding it palatable enough to watch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Considering how difficult it is to get a player with talent to play an offense I'm surprised Wiggins isn't a dream come true.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

He also only plays in like 50 games a season and doesn't play defense.

I like Pek, a lot actually, I just think he's way overpaid.

I think you should go look at what people who are over 6'9" make and then look at what they can make if they can average more than two field goals a game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I think my definition of overpaid does not have to match yours.

What's your definition? He makes what is appropriate for a player of his height and ability to make.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If the idea is that the Cavs are going to lose Kyrie is true, would trying to flip him to the Bucks for their pick be a good move? I think the Bucks wouldn't mind taking the risk since they are always in make-the-playoffs-now mode and rarely do the long term thing, and Kyrie could probably drag that squad to the playoffs. And, since the Cavs are starting over yet again this season, why not start fresh?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Considering most drafts produce what, five guys that get a second NBA contract, I view this draft as loaded because it's projected to produce 5 guys who will probably be rotation players.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
McLemore kind of reminds me of early Ced Ceballos before he broke out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I believe the following year was when he had his drinking issues.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
So I take it this is a guy I would be upset if he was drafted by the Lakers? I have seen him projected from 4 to not in the lottery.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Sacramento had a secret private don't let the local media know interview with Gordon today. I'd be totally down with him but the Kings never draft who I think they will so I better get ready to hear Saric's name

Are these interviews to be taken seriously? Cuz the Lakers seem to be working out and interviewing just about everyone, including Gordon.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Every single rumor has been "Magic drafting Exum" for what it's worth.

What is the official way to link to an instagram here? Do we rehost it?

http://instagram.com/p/o1XVywrO_L/

Zach LaVine jumps really loving high.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's interesting that the Lakers didn't workout Randle because it seemed like he was a lock to go top 5 but with Vonleh and Gordon apparently jumping I think they might have a shot at him after all. I wouldn't mind that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm not sure if Randle has worked out for anyone yet

He's scheduled to work out for the Bucks this week. I have stated my love of Gordon but Randle would be a great fit to me next to Pau in the alternate world where Pau re-signs.

Speaking of, I think Exum has an awesome agent because his name is in the news every day, latest ~rumor site buzz~ (things his agent said to NBA Dirtsheet Writers) has him going to the Bucks if he'll play there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Wes Johnson looked like a competent NBA player twice a month if you played him 30 minutes a game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Gordon was apparently a big hit in the Lakers workout today, apparently him and McDermott really went at each other.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If I really wanted a guy and I was in the Sixer's position where I had so much youth anyway I would probably be willing to give up the ten to get the guy. Also it works for the Cavs because Jordair Jett is much less of a reach at 3 . . . .

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The draft is a lot less fun when there's anxiety about your team making a choice instead of just showing up and seeing what name Mitch Kupchak made up for the actor he hired to pretend to be a prospect from the Congo or some guy who ends up playing four years in the league at 40.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I might still draft Rose over a couple of guys for a couple good years even knowing that he potentially would have a short career.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
"Serviceable" is pretty much the definition of Marshall. Sometimes he'll score, but he usually won't, but he will usually get 7-12 assists a night even if he's not shooting the ball, and his defense isn't the worst. The question I have is that he seems to react really negatively to not starting and his numbers nosedived even if his minutes stayed the same, and if Nash is healthahahahah...if circumstances cause him to have to come off the bench next season, then he may be in fact completely worthless.

I don't know, though, my confidence in the fact that either him or Farmar can put up serviceable numbers at the point is why I am for the Lakers going for a big.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Icy Penguigo posted:

Marcus Smart showing off his shooting prowess

He was apparently not very interesting in the scrimmage workout either but I haven't seen any footage of it yet.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
:siren: Don't click this if you hate the Lakers :siren:

I think it's a pretty interesting to see what basically amounts to the second tier of the draft class thinks of themselves and I guess you could just skip the sections where they talk about how much they love the Lakers and Kobe.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Speaking of non-US players Exum is only working out for the top 4 teams. That seems kind of risky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

TheGreyGhost posted:

I had to watch my team draft Dion Waiters after he literally bluffed every lottery GM by doing that. It's fine if his agent is good. And really, he's on the prospect tier just below the big 3 (Embiid, Wiggins, Parker) but ahead of guys like Randle or Smart, so he's not risking much.

Is he though? Gordon and Vonleh seem to be moving up and Randle and Smart have the "NBA ready" tags which might be more along the lines of what the Kings and Lakers are looking for. I would imagine he probably doesn't slide past the Hornets but that's a big money drop which matters for a guy who needs to contribute to a buyout to come over.

• Locked thread