Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Cleanthony "Clean Anthony" Early, Elfrid and some Euro nonsense are likely the best of the crop, but the NBA should bow their heads in shame at the astounding recent surge in silly NFL names. Jadeveon Clowney, Barkevious Mingo, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, this draft got nothing on 'em. Still, it's a shame those young football men will all have traumatic brain injuries that ruin their lives before 2030.

Dante Exum's name being silly or sick as hell will depend on his play--Travis Outlaw is a shameful waste of a name, but Damian Lillard edit makes it work.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

spamman posted:

Holy poo poo we have to somehow get this guy. I've never heard of him before that .gif but I need Marshall Henderson on the same team as Matt Barnes.

As far as I know he's hit some clutch shots and gets in trouble for ketamine/coke/everything else but aside from that he's not good enough for the NBA.

I've watched that .gif hundreds of times over the years, lots of dudes yellin' gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU at him, somebody throws an umbrella, several girls can't believe what's happened, but mostly the happy white-shirt man on the right and beard guy on the left seem like cool dudes. Henderson also looks glassy-eyed during the game but that can happen from adrenaline. But then I knew some college basketball types who would get coked up for their games, white folks have their odd ways about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAruOdZo0oE

This was his 3P celebration for a while:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I just remembered the Bobcats were in the playoffs weeeeiiiird

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
If I was the Cavs I'd re-sign Deng, waive Varejao (team option 9.8m next season I think) because I hate his injured ankles and his awful hair, draft Embiid, and then either rip off my Cavs disguise and truck up to Milwaukee to begin my new life rooting for the Wiggins/Giannis/Henson/Sanders Young Bucks (We're Bucks Fans Now), or I could wait a few years, demand a trade and move to Miami like any reasonably intelligent person.

If I were Deng I'd never ever re-sign with the Cavs and they're probably going to have a big space at SF huh?

Great White Hope posted:

something painful that greatly reduces our quality of life, to the point where basic tasks like walking become a chore at best. Stop being happy ever.

ooo I already have that and basketball brings me all kinds happiness I think you've got a circular problem there.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ryan McPoyle over there oughta suit up next to Charlie Day lookin' Josh McRoberts and maybe Marc Gasol can become Fat Mac.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Probably Magic posted:

"I've never seen the player who dropped forty points in a game while his injured post player was gone take over a game. Where's his cajones?"

Why oh why won't Wiggins completely ignore Bill Self and do whatever the hell he wants all the time??

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

kiimo posted:

Embiid looks pretty healthy. Can't pass on this guy.

http://youtu.be/Gp7PX7hYUFQ

I love the jumpshot dunk what the heck this is great.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Was hoping they had a Wiggins video, he's been NBA-smooth since 17 and I want to see how much he's improved. They got this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1cxcDSzDB0

Good that he has a little range. A whole lot of it looks like things that should never be happening in an NBA game but that's impressive size. What's his deal, did he stagnate this season?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
There's never been anything unreasonable about saying "Embiid shows flashes, increasingly regular flashes where looks like Olajuwon" without having to guarantee that he is in fact Olajuwon? It just sounds like you're confusing Ceiling for actual expectations.

Larry Sanders would be my guess for the current guy in the NBA who got the latest start in basketball which doesn't make for a great comparison oh well.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Crazy Larry posted:

Well, how about the #3 overall pick?

2013 Otto Porter
2012 Bradley Beal
2011 Enes Kanter
2010 Derrick Favors
2009 James Harden
2008 O.J. Mayo
2007 Al Horford
2006 Adam Morrison
2005 Deron Williams
2004 Ben Gordon
2003 Carmelo Anthony
2002 Mike Dunleavy
2001 Pau Gasol
2000 Darius Miles
1999 Baron Davis

The #4 and 5 picks aren't producing all stars every year either. The argument was that it was reasonable that teams picking in the top 5 to expect that pick to turn into an all star and that's pretty clearly not the case (nevermind the top 5 player thing). If NBA teams were a lot better at evaluating/developing players then yeah, that'd be about right, but they're not. Your chances of landing a great player are better the higher you pick, but outside of the #1 pick it's more that you hope they're an all star but I wouldn't say that's a reasonable expectation.

I don't know what that list of all-stars (I think Favors and Beal will make it eventually which would be more than half the list) is supposed to prove? Parker has a great chance of being good because he's going third? Miles was a picked out of highschool I think, Morrison was Morrison and Porter isn't looking so hot but it almost sounds like you're saying busts are more common than all-stars which isn't supported by that list with 3 < (6 or 8)?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
And with the first pick of the 2014 NBA draft, the Cleveland Cavaliers select... Joel Embiid's agent. "There was some miscommunication, but after we gave him the physical it just felt right."

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

Anthony Davis and James Harden both have hosed up grills so it could be related to NBA success

With French "football" all-star Franck Ribery I might even argue that monster-faced-athletic-talent could be a truism that extends across all sports

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Deadbeat Dad posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Aipd_3kGfREgdHRtcThFd3ZtMlRPYldIRmdGb241RlE&usp=drive_web#gid=9

Has this been posted before? I don't even know what I'm reading, but I'm laughing my rear end off at the comps.

Oo I like that and I like that they like Elfrid Payton because I like Elfrid Payton.

pylb posted:

There's a bunch of player comp names that I don't recognize. :(

Hah unless you've been working around the NBA for the last 20 years I shouldn't expect anyone would remember half of those guys http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/garriki01.html

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 1, 2014

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

chunkles posted:

Can you win games entirely on wingspan? That would have to be like the longest lineup ever

these guys are 22 feet plus Wiggins makes 29 Knight puts them a little over 35 and a half feet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

The current Milwaukee Bucks and career of Anthony Randolph seem to strongly suggest no.

Aw c'mon Larry played 20 games, was hungover for 15 of them and Nate Wolters started 31 games at PG for them as the year closed.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

Okay I guess go with last years bucks who were also bad?

Are you trying to tell me the Milwaukee Bucks Franchise existed BEFORE Giannis?? :wth:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

They could also see what happens and offer their #3 and #10 if someone takes Wiggins.

So if the Bucks actually want Parker then picking Wiggins would get them Parker + #10?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

I hope they chant Dolan Sucks every pick if they're not going to boo Adam Silver

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rick posted:

:siren: Don't click this if you hate the Lakers :siren:

I think it's a pretty interesting to see what basically amounts to the second tier of the draft class thinks of themselves and I guess you could just skip the sections where they talk about how much they love the Lakers and Kobe.

Haha folks going up to Elfrid telling him he's just like three title-winning future HoF PGs okay

Anyways I'm on board Elfrid for MVP

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

big boi posted:

How do people know that Exum is good?

Excellent mouthfeel. Very easy to imagine Mike Breen calling "BANG! DAN-TE EXUM WITH A HUGE BASKET! AND THE _(TBD)S_ GO UP BY TWO!"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
New 'frid-vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBILpE6wuMc

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hah well the Knicks have the Thunder's second round pick so I think they'll get Embiid with that.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

According to realgm's list, that pick went to Toronto as part of the Bargnani trade.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

All NY has in the next 4 years are their 2015 and 2017 first rounds picks and maybe their 2016 second round pick depending on where it falls.

Hahah god dammit, I forgot, their actual 2nd rounder is with the Rockets. They sent Ronnie Brewer to OKC for the pick then gave it to Toronto.

Boooo James Dolan this draft is going to be upsetting to watch, broke kid outside the candy store

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

I might have called him going number 1 like a week before Ford (and even then I thought and still think Wiggins is a slightly better prospect), but pretty much everyone eventually had him there before he hurt his back. And he was always in the Top 5 or so.

Search Is Down so I can't find it or nothing but I asked for a survey of centers when Wiggins/Randle were the only names that'd been seen on ESPN and you been high on Embiid for a while now.

If Search Wasn't Down I might look for the first time anyone had to deny the Embiid Is Already Olajuwon because it went together with being called at #1 and that was a raccoons age ago.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I've decided that I am going to be unsurprised when Cleveland fails to surprise me with their terrible surprise pick, or incredibly surprised when they make an unsurprising good pick.

Sam Bowie kept breaking his legs in turn not his foot, but he was drafted to the Blazers while Bill Walton's career was ending from foot injuries. If you wwould like any additional help with exceedingly pedantic corrections to jokes feel free to PM me

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hah every other post in this thread has an ironic/sarcastic joke that could be accepted as a reasonable statement if you barely knew anything about basketball it might be tricky to read if you're just coming in to learn about the draft and they don't know you guys are a bunch of merry pranksters and gadabouts.

ooo Oak Hill is playing Montverde on ESPN if anyone wants to see a few four and five star recruits go at it or just simply watch some basketball any basketball at all

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
They're curing diseases every day man they might even have a way to heal broken bones soon and I say roll the dice.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't a broken foot a pretty serious injury for a big man given their shelf life?

It depends on which of the 26 different bones of the foot is fractured and what the type of fracture is.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hah yeah especially after he loses a few million dollars worth of contract due to falling draft position

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

IcePhoenix posted:

That's not the joke I was going for but I suppose it is also true.

hah look man surgeons are trained professionals and they definitely don't play around inside your guts like children splashing in a wading pool after you're lights-out they absolutely do but there's no way you can prove it

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Keith Dambrot should be #1

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though