Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like what your team did in the draft?
This poll is closed.
Yes! 216 60.34%
No 20 5.59%
lol 65 18.16%
gently caress 38 10.61%
I'm a Skins fan, is something going on right now? 19 5.31%
Total: 358 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
The Patriots drafted Dominique Easley. Noted homer blogger and Belichick whisperer @jerrythornton1 called this as the Pats' pick back in early April.

jerrythornton posted:

Even if you’ve been studying up on the draft you might be justified in saying “Who???” because so many sites have him ranked so low. Particularly the ones that haven’t updated in a while. A year ago he was projecting as a can’t miss 1st rounder, even being mentioned in the same breath as Clowney. The major difference being no one ever questioned Easley’s commitment like they do Clowney’s. The main problem is he fell off a lot of boards when he blew out his right ACL in Week 3 last year. Which now matches perfectly the left ACL he blew out in 2011. And while that’s a concern for sure, he bounced back from that first one to record more big plays (4 sacks, 8.5 tackles for loss including 3.5 in the Sugar Bowl) in 2012 than anyone on the Gators. His knees have passed every physical, but that won’t stop teams from being scared off and make him your classic Patriots “value” pick. He’s a great fit because he has every Patriots checkmark in his favor. He comes from a Pats feeder program (Belichick’s experiences with Chad Jackson, Jermaine Cunningham, Spikes and Bristol County Inmate 41144 notwithstanding). He was a team captain at Florida,which always counts. He won the Gators team awards for tenacity and mental and toughness. He was a staple in the weight room. On the field, he’s known for an explosiveness off the line of scrimmage, with a suddenness into the gap that makes him a nightmare to block. He’s smaller than any tackle the Patriots have had for sure. But he makes up for it with leverage and a quick first step. And he’s one of those relentless, high motor guys they love.

The NFL writeup, however, is, uh,

quote:

Overview
Has a son (born in Nov. 2012). Highly recruited out of New York. Enrolled at Florida in 2010 and played in five games as a true freshman, recording four tackles, zero for loss and zero sacks. Was limited all year by an ankle injury. Earned a starting defensive tackle spot in '11 and played in 12 games, recording 37-7.5-1.5 sacks. In October, he was allegedly involved in an altercation with former Alabama football player Reggie Myles. After an investigation, the University of Florida Police Department recommended he be charged with misdemeanor battery, but the State Attorney's Office declined to press charges. In the regular-season finale against Florida State, he tore the ACL in his left knee and missed playing in the Gator Bowl. Returned to the field in '12 and started 11 games at defensive end, recording 26-8.5-4 with one pass batted. Missed two games with a sprained meniscus. Started the first three games of '13 at defensive tackle and had 5-2-0. His season was cut short when he ruptured his right ACL and medial meniscus in a non-contact practice drill. Team captain.

Strengths
Has natural leverage to give blockers fits. Explodes off the snap -- thrusts into gaps and wins with suddenness. Plays on his feet. Quick, active paws -- shoots his hands and locks out. Disruptive penetrating ability. Relentless and energetic. Excellent pursuit effort -- doesn't quit on plays and chases outside the box and downfield. Has played inside and outside. Works hard in the weight room.

Weaknesses
Lacks ideal length and bulk. Could stand to get functionally stronger. Has short arms and can be neutralized by larger linemen. Cannot be counted on to two-gap. Average production. Can be overaggressive and lose sight of the ball. Durability is a concern -- both knees have required ACL surgery.

Draft Projection
: Rounds 3-4

Bottom Line
Undersized, explosive, athletic, high-motor three-technique whose junior season was cut short in Week 3 by a knee injury. Injury history will likely affect his draft stock, but when healthy, he shows the ability to disrupt the backfield and pressure the quarterback. Fits best in an aggressive scheme in which he could use his quickness to slant, stunt and shoot gaps. Medical evaluations will determine draft standing.

I am having a hard time getting excited about this pick. Can anyone convince me I should?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

because our star OLB loves weed

Also Ford is a pretty decent edge rusher.

Not terribly happy with the pick after being so close to the wonder and terror that would come from drafting JFF, but thank christ it wasn't that guard.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I love drafting DBs and the projected use for Ward (nickel corner at first, transitioning to SS after Bethea retires/is cut) makes perfect sense with their roster situation. Not a flashy, exciting pick but they now have TONS of picks to play with after staying put rather than moving up and they could still stock up on picks for next year.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Cruel and Unusual posted:

The Lions made a better pick than the Bears and Packers. NFC Championship here we come.

Umm, sorry to break it to you, but

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Maxsmart posted:

I need a reason to be even remotely optimistic about the Chiefs pick.
They gotta pay Justin Houston a ton of money next year and really can't afford to pay Tamba and Houston, so one of the two have to go.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AndrewP posted:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2014/futures-alabama-mlb-cj-mosley

That article made me excited about C.J. Mosley. Bummer that I have to sorta root against JFF though.

Bummer that you have to root against the Ravens when they play Cleveland, you mean

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I don't really get why the Cowboys drafted a tackle. Also can't wait for the riots when the Texans draft another Carr.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
Browns draft owned so hard.

They might be good, they might be bad, but they'll sure as gently caress be fun

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

who the gently caress is marcus smith

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I wonder if TB has a shot at Derek Carr in the 2nd round. It seems like a pretty good fit there. I feel like Bridgewater and Carr are set up to have earlier success than Manziel and Bortles. I will give Gus Bradley the benefit of the doubt since he's in his 2nd year developing something there, but I do not, do not understand the love that Kyle Shanahan gets as an offensive coordinator. I think that Shanahan did not do well with RG3, and now you have a QB whose best attributes are not in Shanahan's wheelhouse. Every year in Washington, Kyle's offense broke down and fell apart at the end of the year, it happened every dang year.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
#3 overall

#3 overall

bort

Also the Eagles and Cardinals can suck a dick

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I love drafting DBs and the projected use for Ward (nickel corner at first, transitioning to SS after Bethea retires/is cut) makes perfect sense with their roster situation. Not a flashy, exciting pick but they now have TONS of picks to play with after staying put rather than moving up and they could still stock up on picks for next year.

I love that they basically got the CB they needed, but technically continue their tradition of not drafting a CB in the first round.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Bills didn't give up any picks in this years draft to grab Watkins but giving up next years first means they are really loving confident they'll be picking 20+ next year. Seems like they overpaid but if Watkins performs like in the Orange Bowl well that'll be dandy.
The Bills at WR are loving stacked right now.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

RumbleFish posted:

Clowney went No. 1 overall and the Panthers finally drafted a receiver. I'm not thrilled that they went for such a raw prospect whose main attribute is his size, but who knows, maybe it'll work out -- and there's still several rounds left to double-dip at the position. I don't love it, but I don't hate it, either. Very happy and excited for JD, regardless.

I think that Seattle, San Fran and New England not jizzing their pants at having Lee in their laps (you could argue for the Broncos there too) isn't a bad argument in regards to them passing over Lee.

Kelvin Benjamin is raw but don't get too crazy, he's good enough for him to produce as a rookie. It's the homer in me but I'm also pretty confident in the coaching staff after what they got out of Ginn last year too. I wouldn't even been too pissed if he ended up a bust. If he turns into the next Brandon Marshall, we're set at WR and QB for the next decade without a worry.

Hopefully they can double down next round or in the third. It's a deep position. We need a CB and an OT still, but I'm happy if we get WR sorted and shuffle the rest.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

This first round is giving me "picking Jermaine Gresham with Rob Gronkowski on the board" vibes but that's more cynicism than anything else. I can't be upset with the Dennard pick and more importantly the Steelers loving up.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bortles

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I don't really get why the Cowboys drafted a tackle. Also can't wait for the riots when the Texans draft another Carr.

For some reason I was under the impression he'd be a guard in the NFL. I don't know if that helps or hurts.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Grittybeard posted:

Also Ford is a pretty decent edge rusher.

Not terribly happy with the pick after being so close to the wonder and terror that would come from drafting JFF, but thank christ it wasn't that guard.

Yeah. The only reason I am disappointed is that for about 20 minutes I was thinking Manziel would be a Chief. Giving Sutton an extra pass rusher will probably be good. Between upgrading from TJ to Vance Walker and adding Ford the Chiefs have gotten a lot more pass-rushy this offseason.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Bengals got a player I didn't think would be available. Cool.

Steelers and Ravens reached for LBs, Cool.

Browns got a new skull for the skull throne, cool.

Good first round.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey Texans, hey.

Hey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6f4rLJ-ipw&t=65s

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
but seriously blake bortles sounds like a made-up name

bortles

b
o
r
t
l
e
s

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Cavauro posted:

This first round is giving me "picking Jermaine Gresham with Rob Gronkowski on the board" vibes but that's more cynicism than anything else. I can't be upset with the Dennard pick and more importantly the Steelers loving up.
Dennard was a great choice. I wanted a different CB but that doesn't stop me from being way happy about this pick.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

We are out of Bortles license plates

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Grittybeard posted:

For some reason I was under the impression he'd be a guard in the NFL. I don't know if that helps or hurts.

That's interesting. Guard is a position of need. I just hoped we'd go for Clinton-Dix or a D-lineman.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

The Cleveland Browns spent six-figures on advanced analytics to study potential QBs, then threw all that out after Jimmy Haslam ran into a homeless guy in downtown Cleveland.

COME ON DOWN TO CLEVELAND TOWN, EVERYONE.

Hahahahaha, oh my god, when you put it like that...

Also, stoked for Watkins. This was a real awesome draft.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

bort

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I'm grinning like a moron, I'm quite happy with the Vikings so far.
heh my friend is a Vikings fan and he seems to like the pick but then ESPN showed a whole bunch of Teddy's fuckup highlights so who knows

As a Giants fan I like their pick, got a WR which was needed so we'll see if they can get Eli some more protection with other picks, and a good TE too.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Has anyone graded all the picks yet? C'mon guys, we crave draft grade rankings!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bills got WRs for DAYS right now.

EJ Manuel better show the gently caress up this season.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Atticus Finch posted:

Dennard was a great choice. I wanted a different CB but that doesn't stop me from being way happy about this pick.

Yeah I would feel just as uneasy if they'd taken Verrett, and they'd be getting a lot of poo poo about doing that, so.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
I hope Eric Ebron does well with the Lions, I think that should be entertaining and I'm interested to see how he does. He is a good dude and does not lack for confidence. Yeah I'm biased but whatever I'm rooting for him to do well

Personally, I like the Kelvin Benjamin pick. Hopefully his size will be useful in wrangling some of Cam's less accurate passes, particularly in the red zone

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kalli posted:

Grades:
picks 1-32: F--

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
bortles!

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
Ray Farmer just did a great job. Football in Cleveland looks good going forward.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

There's gotta be some issues with Lee's medicals or something. If you switch his Junior and Senior seasons he might be the #2 wideout in this class.

coco bryce
Jun 23, 2007
I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness.

Petey posted:

The Patriots drafted Dominique Easley. Noted homer blogger and Belichick whisperer @jerrythornton1 called this as the Pats' pick back in early April.

I am having a hard time getting excited about this pick. Can anyone convince me I should?

Apparently Easley was the only (realistic) prospect that the Seahawks were willing to draft at 32. When the Pats picked him, they called it a day & started shopping the pick. So that's probably worth something.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

John Gonzalez ‏@gonzoCSN 3m
Marcus Smith on the phone w/ the media. Said he's happy to go in the first round, but thought he might go in second or third #EaglesTalk

It's always good when your draft pick even thought he wasn't a first rounder

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kalli posted:

I'd give this draft a B.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
It sucks that Atlanta missed out on Mack by 1 pick, but they desperately needed a franchise tackle and it looks like they finally have one. Not the sexiest of picks, but one that was of very high importance. They need a pass rusher in the second big time, I'm kind of bummed they didn't trade back up into the first for one but oh well tomorrow is another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Petey posted:

He's a complete and utter beast who disrupts anything that stands in his way.

• Locked thread