Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Whoever wins, we lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

I wonder who would win in a fight between JB and AAA.

The viewers.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

ChorpSaway posted:

The doves here are used to humans and very aggressive, and they’ll charge at you in a flock if they see a bag of seeds. You might want to wear long sleeves if you have delicate skin.
Waaaaah! Wait! Don’t just take the whole bag! Come back! Aaaaah!

So.... they were basically mugged by a bunch of hobos?

Alexey
Feb 15, 2012
I want to enter the raffle as well (though I do already have non-Steam versions). This has really been an excellent LP.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
Well, since we just met the man(ish) himself, I suppose this is the right time for...

No matter how I feel about this manga, these covers remain solid gold

Kazuaki-kun's Book!

Kazuaki-kun's Book covers the life of the solo pigeon Kazuaki, a true-blooded NEET* of the highest order, in a world where Nageki lived and Hitori never killed Kazuaki to steal his identity. This is the shortest of the Hatoful manga by far, covering less than 20 pages even if you count the copious blank space, dramatic all-black page, front and back covers, etc. However, it has a very dramatic presentation and provides some interesting worldbuilding. That being said...

It's also my least favorite.

There's a single plot-line, and I feel like it provides some very important backstory for Holiday Star. It's also quite effective in terms of emotional impact. However, it's also the most grotesque of the Hatoful manga, and not necessarily in a good way. It's definitely the darkest manga, and the most blunt. It's too short for me to provide any spoilers, and doesn't give enough character information for me to be able to fill in much of that (other than revealing that this Kazuaki plays video games). I don't think it's bad, but I also think most people would not like it.

I'll give this one 6 near-liquid rotting bird carcasses out of 10.

Kazuaki-kun's Book costs $1.00 US and can be bought on Amazon here.

*-- Japanese term, means "Not employed, in education, or in training". Read as "No-life couch potato" for best effect.

(Had to come back and do some editing due to a typo or two: Weird dictionary issues)

Ariamaki fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 17, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Giant Bomb did a Quick Look of Hatoful Boyfriend!

And it is hilarious.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 17, 2014

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Part 6: Extra-Large Edition

Hello, everybirdie! This is Kawara Ryouta, from class 2-3.
This is our last question-answering session. We’ve come a long way, but it’s gone by so fast… I’ll be sad to see it end.
Anyway, we’ve got a bonus question this time. Sit back and enjoy the ride!
All right, first one! From *Suzukawa, for Hiyoko.

I’ll be answering the questions for Hiyoko again.
I was wondering about this a while ago too, so I asked her.
She said, “If I had to pick one, it would be kake udon.” It’s the most basic of the most basic, with just udon and broth--nothing else. She said she couldn’t let herself forget the true spirit of the noodle, after all.
She orders whatever she feels like at the cafeteria, but if it’s her first time at a restaurant she’ll usually get kake udon.
I guess maybe kake udon is the best gauge of a chef’s udon powers?
The next one’s for Sakuya, from tsukimu.

And you’re always so studious, too… What kinds of things do you know about aside from ninja and shrine offerings and fallen warriors?
Let us see… I know about sushi.
Ah, that’s definitely a point of Japanese pride! You’re an aristocrat, so you go to the really fancy sushi places, right?
Indeed. I’ve been to those places with the little conveyor belts.
? Not the ones without the little conveyor belts?
Do you mock me!? Why should I go to a sushi place without a little conveyor belt!?
Err…? Umm… But…

Uumm… I see. I guess you do usually end up spending more time in the ones with the little conveyor belts… maybe? I think?
All right, next we have two for Prof. Nanaki.
Mmm, yes. Let’s have them!
The first one is from Linalool.

So… How much do you sleep at home, sir?
Don’t worry, Linalool. I make sure to eat.
Probably not 97 percent, then.
Mmm, I do fall asleep while I’m having dinner sometimes, though. And in the bath…
Please make sure you don’t drown yourself sleeping in the bath, sir…
The next is from Shiroi.

We got a lot of people asking about this. Which is it, sir?
It’s not a shadow… It’s a common marking on male quails.
It’s right where the shadow of your head would be, though, so it is a little confusing.
Try searching for some pictures of button quails. You’ll find plenty of quails with a marking by the beak just like me.
Thank you, sir! The next one is for Yuuya.
Salutations! I’ll answer anything for a lady hoping to get to know me better.
Umm… Sorry, it’s anonymous, so we can’t really tell if it’s a lady or not.

Well, I wonder… All right, let’s just go with that.

That’s a little harsh, isn’t it?
Aaah… Yeah, this is definitely one that would be a little hard to ask with your name attached…
But asking the questions that are hard to ask is my job!
You’re awfully dedicated. I’ll answer in full candor, too.
All right, time to bite the bullet! Have you actually “got it”, Yuuya?

Is that a sort of backwards way of saying you have “got it”…? I wonder if we can call that full candor.
You satisfied for now? Let me know if another lady comes calling. Adieu!
Well, I guess for now we can just say he’s probably “got it”, whatever “it” is!
The next one is for San.
Coooooo! (Never worry, never fear, Okosan is already here!)

Coooooooo!? (You are asking about Okosan’s house!? Will you be coming to play!?)
Coooo! (Okosan will give you a warm welcome!)
And where is your house, Okosan?
Coo, cooooo! (Okosan lives in a great mansion!)
A-a mansion!?

Seriously!?

???
Umm… Why a birdcage in the mansion?
Coo! (Okosan’s instincts tell him to sleep in a birdcage!)
Coo, coooooo! (The birdcage helps Okosan stay calm and relaxed!)
Cooooooooo! (Okosan shall return to his home and relax now!)
Uhh… Well, I’m not sure I entirely understand, but I guess San lives in a birdcage inside a huge mansion. I’d like to go visit him sometime and see exactly what sort of arrangement he has.
All right, time for the extra. This one’s for Miss Azami!
Are you here, Miss Azami?

You want to become my protégé, kid? Come to my takoyaki cart when the sun begins to set, if you’ve got the guts. I’ll show you how to ride like the wind!
There’s a question for Mr. Rabu as well, but would you like to answer it?
A question for him? Yeah, I’ll take it.

Wh-what kind of idiotic question is that!? Don’t go prying into other people’s private stuff, you brat!
Ow! Don’t kick me!
Carve it into your soul, kid! No peeping into my love nest!
Aaah, Miss Azami’s kicks really hurt…

The music stops.

I don’t know if she orders him around or not, but I think they get along pretty well.

All right, it’s time for our final letter. This one is anonymous.

Really? I’m so glad! Though, I… don’t know if there will be another one.
There might be, though! It’s still up in the air.
If there are plans for another, it’ll be mentioned on the official site and blog. Check back every once in a while, okay?

Broadcast End

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

With the final radio show finished, we have another piece of the Gallery unlocked!

More human forms? Let’s see who they’re for!

Look, it’s our favorite café friends! The happy couple and the gentleman waiter.

But it seems we’re still not quite done.

A crown has appeared on the Story page. What does it lead to?

This story consists of unused scenes from part 4.
Please enjoy this collection of things which couldn’t fit into the main story. Think of it as being like the bonus scenes on a DVD.

I guess we get to see some unreleased scenes and bloopers from our latest adventure!
We’ll be looking into that next time. See you then!

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg
Extra unused content? That sounds like the perfect segue / excuse to squeeze in a second review today:

This cover is less exciting than usual, but still good

Hatoful Boyfriend: OVERLOAD! OVERFLOW! EX

So!

This one is going to take a bit more backstory than usual.

See, Hatoful Boyfriend had a manga series which ran on a webcomic anthology site called Manga Life WIN+. It ran for a total of 16 chapters comprised of 4-panel comics. The first 12 chapters got published in a trade paperback / tankōbon, along with a bonus feature. However, the other 4 abandoned chapters weren't enough material to do another print volume, and so the author faced a dilemma. The eventual solution was to create some bonus material, primarily a Hato House 10-page story, and publish the whole thing as an E-Book. The end result is what we have here: Overload! Overflow! EX.

Just for completeness, this is the cover of the actual 1-12 tank

It's... not bad. For somebody who has already read the 4-panel comics from its original serialization run, there's not much new here for you. For somebody who hasn't, it would feel slightly incomplete, and there's no official English translation of the tankōbon, nor is there an E-Book of the tank's Japanese version, so it's hard to grasp from that angle as well. There are, of course, :filez: based solutions to both of these problems (although it's not really an issue since the manga itself is serialized for free online, so the English translations being serialized for free online is something the author is reportedly fine with). The end result, regardless, is that English audiences have no way to pay for the entire thing in order to support the creator. Since it's a gag comic with minimal plot, it's not like reading 1-12 is needed to enjoy 13-16... It would just be nice, and any excuse to give Hato Moa more money for these :birddrugs: is good.

The bonus story is funny and cute, and shows off another IRL bird-based business akin to Kenzaburou's cafe: This time, however, it's a public bath-house! However, since it's a Hato House flashback story, there aren't any shenanigans with the main cast. However, for those who want to see more about Hitori's charges from the House, including their human form sketches, this is a neat pick-up. My biggest complaint about it, personally, is that the price does not match with the content at all: It's the most expensive of all the manga E-Books, despite being almost entirely re-printed free serialized content.

Overall, however, the content is still great, and the bonus story is good enough: I'll give this one 8 bathing birdies out of 10.

Hatoful Boyfriend Overload! Overflow! EX is $3.00 and can be bought here.

Oh, and Hato Moa has announced a new non-canon tie-in: Super Glyph Quest will have a Hatoful Boyfriend sidestory, complete with new Moa-made fantasy art of Anghel, Shuu-Wallenstein, mind-controlled Yuuya, and the Punkgeons! The announcement is over here

Ariamaki fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 17, 2014

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

ChorpSaway posted:

And where is your house, Okosan?
Coo, cooooo! (Okosan lives in a great mansion!)
A-a mansion!?

Seriously!?

???
Umm… Why a birdcage in the mansion?
Coo! (Okosan’s instincts tell him to sleep in a birdcage!)
Coo, coooooo! (The birdcage helps Okosan stay calm and relaxed!)
Cooooooooo! (Okosan shall return to his home and relax now!)
Uhh… Well, I’m not sure I entirely understand, but I guess San lives in a birdcage inside a huge mansion. I’d like to go visit him sometime and see exactly what sort of arrangement he has.

San is the developer's actual bird right? What a sneaky way of bragging about your house.

Also, if the raffle is still open I'll sign up.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Braking Gnus posted:

San is the developer's actual bird right? What a sneaky way of bragging about your house.

In fairness, what most Americans live in would be considered absurdly spacious by Japanese standards, plus Okosan isn't above hyperbole.

That said, I didn't catch that implication before.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
In Japan, a mansion is basically just a nicer apartment, because loanwords. I'm not sure whether it's a direct translation in this case or not.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Japanese has the word "manshon" loaned from English mansion, which generally means a luxury condo. Then there is "yashiki" (or "oyashiki") which would actually translate to mansion, and does mean large single-family house.

Also if the draw is still on, enter me.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
He does say his house is bigger than the snooty aristocrat's, but on the other hand...

KataraniSword posted:

Okosan isn't above hyperbole.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okosan would live in the grandest house ever even if he lived in a cardboard box. Everything about Okosan is the greatest.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

The Day the Night Slept (After After)

This scene takes place on the train ride home for the St. Pigeonation’s birds and Goon.

Uuuummm… uuuurrgh…
What’s wrong, Goon? Do you have a stomachache?
The silver field was a little cold.
No, that’s not it. It’s not that my stomach is cold, I’m just… feeling kind of fuzzy…
Cooooo!? (Goon is feeling fuzzy? Goon’s stomach is feeling fuzzy!?)
No, my head is.

Something’s bothering me. It’s--
Just then, the conductor walked by.

Umm, excuse me.

No!!
Umm… I really feel like I’ve seen you before. Have we met somewhere…?
What? Miss, are you hitting on me?
No!!

It depends on me…?
The music stops.

Could you step out of that shadow for a moment?

Slowly, he moved towards one of the ceiling lights, and I gasped.

He’s a friend of yours?

Yeah! He and I go all the way back to the demo version!

I’ll be counting on you next time something happens!

What!? But that’s why we’re friends!
She’s friends… with Death…!?

This scene takes place well after the events of Holiday Star proper.

The new season is almost here. I’d better start checking for any Hawk Party spies in the new students.
Salutations, Mr. One.
Sakazaki Yuuya. What is it? I don’t recall sending for you.
Well, that’s a little cold. Can’t I drop by just to see your beautiful face?
You are no longer a student at this school. You should avoid any unnatural conduct.

Anyway, I came to deliver a letter.
A letter… New orders?
No, it’s from Nishikikouji Tohri.

The music stops.

A letter of intent?
It doesn’t look like it. He addressed this little package to you.
Hmm. Let’s have a look.

He’s on the surveillance list, after all. I gave him a ride home.
The package… doesn’t seem to have any explosives.
Madeleines, cheesecake, and financiers… Pretty standard stuff for a pastry assortment.

This scene takes place a little while after Holiday Star.

Merry Christmas! (Christmas will soon be here!)
…The spring semester has barely started.
Merry Christmas! (Christmas will soon be here! In about eight months!)
You two do not seem to be short on energy. Perhaps I shall reduce your portions at meals, starting today.

Merry Christmas! (Shuu just doesn’t understand food! Your luxurious partridge plumage is going to get all raggedy and thin!)
Merry Christmas… (Miru and Kaku always use up a lot of energy planning for Christmas…)

Please don’t carry my things off without asking.
Merry Christmas? (This is something of Shuu’s? Something important?)

The music stops.

Something important…
……
No. Not particularly.

Merry Christmas? (Huh?)
Merry Christmas…? (Someone scratched stuff into this fossil…? It’s no good now…)
It’s scratched? Let me see it for a moment.
Merry Christmas! (There’s a name carved on the back!)

……
I know. Eat if you want to.

This scene takes place on the galaxy express as it takes the Migrant and The King away into the stars.

Aaah, stardust sugarcubes are so sweet!
Ueehhh…
You have some too, your majesty. Sweet foods warm the soul and make your troubles fly away!
Wuueehh… -nibble-
-hic-… -nibble-

Scared? Of what?
We don’t know what we’ll find at the next star…
That’s been true ever since we were on the Earth. No one knows what the future will bring!
We don’t know if it will be fun…
Your highness, your highness! Let’s have a pillow fight and talk about our crushes at the next star!
O-okay…
You can’t just wait around forever. Fun is something you have to go out and find for yourself!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

And so we’ve reached the end of everything that Holiday Star has to offer! That final set of scenes is the last bit of content left in this game.

…Well, that’s not quite true.

For completing everything and unlocking everything, a letter has appeared in the Gallery. I wonder who it’s from?

And thank YOU, all of you, for reading along.

And that, my friends, is the true ending to Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star. I’ll see you again, whether it be here or on a journey through the stars. This has truly been a wonderful adventure.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

And so, another LP closes its doors. But we're not quite done yet!

I've been moving in to a new apartment this week, so I haven't had time to tally everyone up for the raffle, so it's time for...
:siren: AN EXTENSION! :siren:

I will be completely moved in by Sunday at the latest, so you have until I post the results to still get in your last minute entries. Get ready for a big sendoff to this LP series (at least for now)!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If only you could hear the sound of my applause through a post on the internet.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Thank you so much, Chorp. It's been glorious!

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg

ChorpSaway posted:

And so, another LP closes its doors. But we're not quite done yet!

It has been wonderful, and I am incredibly thankful for the work you've put in.

And now it's time for my send-off, the final Hatoful Boyfriend manga review...

The final cover. A classy finish, I feel.

Nope. No review here.

Absolute Zero is something really unique and I don't want to spoil a single thing about it. There always has to be some mystery in this world, and I've decided that part of that is "The entirety of A0". So here's a totally bare-bones description without any spoilers, and my final thoughts:

Absolute Zero is a medium-sized manga comprised of disjointed cuts from Anghel's fantasy epic, as re-done by a vastly superior artist*. There are some parallels to actual plot events from the main game and HoliStar. It clocks in at a modest size and price, and is worth every cent.

I give it 10 Brainwashed Wallenstein troopers out of 10.

Absolute Zero is 1.99 and can be found on Amazon here.

*-- As shown in some pages Hato Moa has put out, Anghel's talent lies in enthusiasm, not artistic skill. His manga look awful, even for something presumably drawn by beak.

DaniDaniDanica
Dec 25, 2012
Thanks for the amazing LP! I'm gonna miss all these updates on the latest crazy bird adventures.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I forget, but hasn't it been stated somewhere that the world of A0 is pretty much exactly how Anghel sees the world at all times thanks to the whole hallucination thing?

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg

KataraniSword posted:

I forget, but hasn't it been stated somewhere that the world of A0 is pretty much exactly how Anghel sees the world at all times thanks to the whole hallucination thing?

Not quite exactly, but it is the source of all of his references, nicknames, and so on... Or vice-versa, and his hallucinations are the source of his fiction.

Either way, the way he sees the world seems to vary on occasion (be it general fantasy or a more explicit video-game interface), but sticks to the same overall plot.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Two incredible LP's. Great work ChorpSaway and thanks for all the fun!

I know I've certainly discovered that nothing is ever simple.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Thank you so much, Chorp! This has been one of the best LPs of one of the most unique games I've ever seen, and its been a daily source of laughs for me ever since the first thread.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Y'all are too kind! It's been great to see you all participating along with the thread and reacting to all the stuff going on; it's a pleasure to see some of the first-time reactions in here!
It's kinda weird to say goodbye to the Hatoful world, though, after almost a full year of LPing the first and second games. The web series hasn't been translated past the April Fools update, so we're all waiting on those to release. But for now, we must close the door on Hatoful Boyfriend...

Is what I would say, if I didn't have all these copies of the HD remake to give out!
:siren: :birddrugs: :burger: :birddrugs: :siren:

Alright, so I compiled everyone's names from here and Twitter and put them in a list, so let's let random.org decide the fate of these games!

If you are one of the first eight people on this list, then congratulations! You have won a copy of Hatoful Boyfriend on Steam! Send me a PM on the forums, or a message on the Tweeter (@ChorpSaway), or an email at my internet mail address chorpsawaysa@gmail.com and I will hand you the Steam code to your very own video game! Just make sure to identify yourself by your username if you use another handle elsewhere, so that I know which winner you are!

Thank you again, everyone, for reading along and making this thread so much fun to come back to! You all are great and this really has been a pleasure to show off for you all.

Meanwhile, if you want to follow my continuing adventure in Let's Play, I have a new thread right here that you can look into if you like anime and also video games! Otherwise, I'm sure I'll see some of you around here one way or another. I've got a special project in the works that should prove to be interesting if nothing else...
But that's for another time! Let's call this thread finished, and I'll send it off to the archives! Remember to spread the bird love in any way you can, and I'll see you around!

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
drat, no bird drugs, oh well.

I look forward to the next chapter in this madness, which I'm sure will exist, and I'm sure you'll be on top of right away.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
See you, space cowbird.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Holy crap, I got a copy! Time to get my maximum :birddrugs: going on steam. Should be great as I skippedp reading some of the routes in the maingame's LP so I could have something to look forward to if I got a copy of the game.

Thanks for the wonderful trip down this awesome game Chorp, I look forward to any more games you LP in the future!

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 21, 2014

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

'grats ChorpSaway. Have some honorary jackal Lourde fanart.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Woah, nice.

(why does that jackal have human hands?)

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Rexides posted:

Woah, nice.

(why does that jackal have human hands?)
Because my own drawing hand got tired and I just went full Hanna Barbera Scooby hands at that point.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

ElTipejoLoco posted:

:syoon: This is great! I'll have to make a header now for this before I send the thread off to the archives! Thank you, ElTipejoLoco!

Also, for anyone who hasn't received their copy of Hatoful Boyfriend yet, the Humble Store has locked me out of purchasing games for an unknown amount of time (due to buying so many copies of Hatoful to start). I have put in a request to have this lifted, and the redemption codes will be on your way as soon as I can throw money at Humble again.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Buy more copies for people in the middle of the list, starting around, oh, say, 25.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg
Moa Hato just posted this interesting selfie to their Tumblr, and I can think of no better response to everything we have been through.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Moa Hato is just so great, that picture is awesome and is probably completely based on real life. :allears:

Just wanted to follow up on the email I sent you Chorp, I know I've had trouble with the Humble Store before! I sent you an email from my internet mailbox healdandrewt@gmail.com, as I wasn't sure if you got it! I'd get PMs here but money is hard even with a job.

edit: Just got it, thanks Chorp! Sorry about the bother.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 25, 2014

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Fanart has been added to the OP! That should wrap up all the stuff for this thread then, but we'll see!

Ariamaki posted:

Moa Hato just posted this interesting selfie to their Tumblr, and I can think of no better response to everything we have been through.

This is a beautiful picture.
Someone then asked if that T-shirt was going to go in the store, so if you've been dying to get a shirt with "LOVE DOVE" printed on it, keep an eye on Hato Moa's online store.

SaffronKit posted:

Moa Hato is just so great, that picture is awesome and is probably completely based on real life. :allears:

Just wanted to follow up on the email I sent you Chorp, I know I've had trouble with the Humble Store before! I sent you an email from my internet mailbox healdandrewt@gmail.com, as I wasn't sure if you got it! I'd get PMs here but money is hard even with a job.

Just to let everyone know, if you haven't gotten your copy, I do have all of your messages and am doing what I can to get the games to you ASAP. I was able to grab two copies earlier today before being locked out again, so a couple of you should be receiving keys soon! I'll continue to keep you guys updated until all of the games have reached their new homes.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
This is a terribly belated comment, but I've just caught up on the thread and wanted to say thanks for taking us on this crazy, crazy pigeon-filled ride.

... okay, no, mostly I wanted to register my (even more belated) surprise that no one mentioned Rule of Rose as the probable inspiration for the King's creepy picture books. The animated-chalkboard art style is similar, as is the dark fairytale tone and the fact that they're all allegories for the characters' personal problems. Here's an example for comparison.

I mean, maybe it's not a surprise if not a lot of people have played it, since although it's got style, the gameplay is infamously terrible, but there was a pretty good LP a while back.

Honestly, the breadth of the pop culture references in the Hatoful Boyfriend games kind of impresses me. They definitely don't limit themselves to the really well-known stuff that a large percentage of the audience is likely to get. Though some of it is probably added in translation (like the Galaxy Quest quote, I'd assume).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw! The King said goodbye!

Goodbye, The King. Find a welcome place in the stars.

• Locked thread