Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm so happy this thread exists, bless you Occupation/Deadpool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Irish Joe posted:

Considering how much Occ is foaming at the mouth over an innocuous TGIF sitcom, I'd love to see his take on All in the Family.

I wanna hit this actually, because I've seen this comparison made before. Archie, in All in the Family, is the bad guy. Or rather, the wrong guy. Like yea sometimes he makes a valid point, but mostly it revolves around 'hey dad we're bringing our black friend over' 'WHAT THE WHAT A BLACK?!' 'Jesus dad that poo poo's embarrassing' and then the black friend proving to be a totally normal dude. Archie wasn't Carroll O'Connor's mouthpiece because Carroll O'Connor always thought the joke was Archie was a piece of poo poo.

In Last Man Standing Tim Allen is basically playing Tim Allen, and he's expecting the audience to go 'yea he's right, we ARE turning into pussies by having empathy and not being racist sacks of trash'. It's not THE WORST THING IN THE WOOOOOOOOOORLD, I really doubt this show is popular enough to enter the public mindset at all really, but it's worth saying 'Tim Allen is a sack of crap and he thinks you are too', whereas in All in the Family it was more 'Carroll O'Connor thinks we're better than Archie Bunker'. Sure there were assholes who thought he was right, but there are always going to be assholes who think the rear end in a top hat character is the hero (see: Breaking Bad, Mad Men, most AMC shows actually, goddamn AMC you sure hammer that nail).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Occupation posted:

I'm in the middle of 204.

gently caress this stupid poo poo loving gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress ARGH I HATE THIS loving SHOW

gently caress

Wonderful.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Don't you dare eat the ban Occ!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DarklyDreaming posted:

Well if no one else is going to mention it I might as well say it: Before he was famous Tim Allen was arrested for being a rather prolific cocaine smuggler and squealed on his compatriots to dodge a life sentence. He's probably the last person to have any right to complain about how great America was before we all became pussies.

I thought we all knew and thus was why this is hilarious.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Mods change my name to FAT CRACKER BEAR tia

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Occupation posted:

You're a bad person

If you don't watch season 3 then how can we laugh about your pain? Think about that, mr selfish.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's almost troubling to know this show has the ability to be legitimately funny but instead does...This.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hcreight posted:

Home Improvement definitely had its moments of overt MANLINESS but it was usually tongue-in-cheek. The Tool Man did and said a lot of dumb poo poo but was always put in his place by Jill/Al/Wilson/random guest stars. Wilson would probably hate to have Mike Baxter as his neighbor.

Yea usually in Home Improvement the joke was Tim was a well meaning moron who was legitimately a product of a different way of thinking and, in most episodes, they ended with HIM learning 'oh it was real stupid and mean of me to belittle my wife or whatever today, I understand that and am sorry for it'. This seems to be the bizzaro world version where everyone else learns that Tim was actually right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Fowl posted:

EPA, the topic title has committed you to seasons 2 & 3. I'd just like you to know, that season 3 is much worse.

It's on Hulu so I've been watching some random episodes when I'm bored, and yea, it's a garbage fire.

Have fun!

• Locked thread