Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This made my day.

I managed to sit through two episodes of this tripe, so THANKS A LOT for whoever pointed out that Netflix carries it. My only beef with your review of episode one is you don't mention the mom, like, at all. I went into it expecting Tim Allen to be a single dad or something. The mom character is fully deserving of snarky reviewing.

Also, if episode one was the racist episode, episode two is the hooray for domestic violence episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Deadpool posted:

I almost think we should have a thread where people are assigned to do random contextless reviews for a random episode of a show they don't watch. That could be fun.

It could be, but it would require some clever curation. You're not going to find an rear end in a top hat like me who's never seen Cheers or M*A*S*H or HIMYM every day of the week.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I've been singularly digging the thinly-veiled Detroit jabs. My parents were actually in Tim Allen's high school at the time in the suburbs, and my aunt (who still lives in that very suburb) is a die-hard republican, so there's something to be appreciated.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Occ, this is the rant I was hoping you'd go on for episode 2. I spoiled it at the time because you weren't there yet, but...

Did you notice HOW MANY TIMES Boyd excused his dodgeball injury by saying he "ran into a door"?

It was the ongoing excuse for him to get out of trouble for getting hurt for Tim Allen's horrible life choices. He just ran into a door.

I'm one of the least feminist girls out there, though not quite to the point of men's rights, but that seriously irritated me.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Occupation posted:

I just read that as a series of callbacks, I was more unsettled by the original "joke" that Mike says to Spence (the little fat kid) since...yeah it's real domestic abuse-y

It's the Occupation Molestation Station :v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Alipes posted:

1) Glad to be of "help"! :allears:

2) I can't imagine that every episode of terrible television would be new and exciting in its terribleness. Sometimes plots are just bad, especially when it's rehashing basic ideas. I think the quotes really help make each episode unique though, because Vanessa's "Oh yeah" comment made me giggle more than I probably should have.

I think that's why the other thread has such a good thing going; when single episodes are held in isolation like that, it doesn't get stale.

Also I liked that review, ANUS! I watched episode...8?...on your oh-god-this-is-terrible recommendation, and was only mildly disappointed. I like how Eve wore all that obtrusive jewelry to her basketball game since there's no way in hell any coach or ref would allow her to wear it on the court.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

GaussianCopula posted:

You might be interested in the fact that Last Man Standing has double the viewers on a friday that Parks and Recreation gets on thursday.

This terrifies me.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Irish Joe posted:

To put things in perspective, Last Man Standing is more popular than goon favorite comedies Brooklyn 9-9, Community and Parks and Recreation despite airing in the so-called Friday night death slot. It handily doubles each of those shows viewers and, in B99's case, triples them.

The conservative right maybe tends not to go out on Friday nights. They'll love Black-ish.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

haljordan posted:

Apparently Tim Allen turned down $50 million for a ninth season of Home Improvement so he's not all about the money all the time.

As a teenager at the time :eng101:

The kids were out. JTT had walked a year earlier, and for whatever his faults, Tim Allen respects the hell out of Patricia Richardson (has she been up to anything?) Anyway, they chatted, and seemed to agree that the show wouldn't be anything good without the kids.

My dad actually graduated from Tim Allen's high school at about the same time. I don't want to draw too many parallels, but I think my dad would really like LMS :cripes:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'll admit it.

I watched that finale for the JTT action, and wasn't disappointed.

All the Home Improvement references were spot on and made me wish they'd bring it back for the kids' post-college years. Considering the actual quality of Home Improvement, it's a pretty damning thing to say about LMS.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

pentyne posted:

America is literally the only country on Earth where people get genuinely offended by foreign language requirements and downright hostile to teaching Spanish in elementary schools.

Barudak posted:

Not even close. We're just especially stupid about it since there is no official language in the US and its not as though we've done this exact same song and dance literally half a dozen times before as a nation.

Linguistics major here :eng101:

Outside of ethnic/niche-educated communities, it is a VERY common (mis)conception that bi/multilingualism can be detrimental. I'm sure there's a xenophobic element to it, but there are many who believe that learning a second language at a young age can hamper development of the first, as though linguistic acquisition is some kind of zero-sum game.

You think that's bad? In Korea, parents have mutilative tongue surgery performed on toddlers. As in, they snip a bit of the connective tissue under the tongue to make it easier for their kids to pronounce English. It's kind of the opposite problem, but it's still terrible.

Anyway, I don't think the stupidity comes from the USA not having an official language. That's another point that many, many Americans are not aware of. I think it comes from our geographic isolation, compounded by our huge population and English's continued use as a global lingua franca. There simply isn't the need, as there is in Europe and Asia, for us to speak another language. Everybody else seems able to speak English for us.

The good news is, even just within my (short-ish) adulthood, that's been changing a lot. My middle school, which previously only offered French, now offers Spanish as well. I've also volunteered at a few elementary schools that are hitting their mostly-white student population with Mandarin Chinese. So, it's not ALL bad.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Irish Joe posted:

Actually, no, that's not a point because nobody is arguing it. In the episode, Tim believes Spanish language instruction in schools is being used by immigrants as an excuse to not assimilate with native Americans and the greater American culture. He's wrong, and there are several characters on the show who point this out to him or whose very existence proves him wrong (his maid, the guy in the sporting goods store, his daughter's husband).

Really? I got a much more xenophobic read from that. Like, it was fine for his maid to be naturalizing and learning English, but it wasn't fine for his grandkid to be learning Spanish because the context indicates that native-born Latin US-Americans are learning Spanish first at home, even though MURCA.

Nicol Bolas posted:

This is a total sidenote, but I've actually had this done (as an adult and a native english speaker) and it's hardly mutilative. It was a very quick little snip and it healed incredibly quickly.

But why did you have it done? If you had a speech impediment and speech therapy was ineffective, that's one thing. When it's done on toddlers, it's completely unnecessary and the money would be much, much better spent on an early childhood English tutor or nanny.

It's nice to hear it's not that bad though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm also very wary of oral surgeons. When I went to get my wisdom teeth out, I felt like the office was trying to sell me on Heidi Montag-level facial reconstruction.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

If i wanted to make these reviews more pandery and also more niche I woulda included a joke at propaganda machines expense about why they included the Kristin/John meetcute scene, but i didn't because i'm above that, i just wanted to make it clear that I thought of one, so people should be awarding me according to my cleverness and my editing prowess knowing almost nobody would get it

i'm the best is what i am saying

Aww, but I love jokes at my expense! :(

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Dammit Occ, I hate it when you talk me into watching any of this trash.

Carry on.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Last Man Standing
"Spanking"
Season 3, Episode 10

I was beaten like a rented mule growing up. Nope!

Grade: F

Random Thoughts:

I appreciate this. I kind of can't believe that spanking is even up for argument as remotely tolerable, because it isn't.

Propaganda Machine
    Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

:siren: HEY YO I'M DOIN A THING AGAIN :siren:

Hey so I'll be done with the entire kit and caboodle that is my toxx (don't say it hcreight don't say it don't ruin it) by this friday, so I thought it would be neat to do a watchalong of 322, the final episode of season 3, since the last time I did it it went really well & was fun

Anyways the time I'd do it would be 6pm PST, aka 9pm EST, aka I don't know when the gently caress that is elsewhere because I'm ethnocentric

anywho interest check, let me know if that time/day works for you all, if it doesn't let me know and I'll change it

Also, I'll be going in on 322 blind too so, that'll be fun

Anyways yeah, 322 up should be up by Saturday at the latest, then my season in review post and this thread is OVER

Possibly maybe. We're gonna need the IRC info, again.

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
    Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
    I appreciate that Occ gives shits about trigger etiquette on a multicam sitcom, ex-military or whatever. If America is going to be all GUN RIGHTS HURR we shouldn't be encouraging legitimately dangerous behavior on network television.

• Locked thread