Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I watched this last night for the first time. I straight-up loved District 9 and have probably watched it 15 times, so I was predisposed to like this movie.

I love the look and feel of both movies, the "dirty, used, lived-in world" feel that really differentiates, say, Star Wars IV-VI from the sterility and lifelessness of I-III. I love how the technology in both movies seems totally plausible, not crazy black hole generating tesseract stuff.

But man did this movie ever move way too fast and have way, way too little character development. I think another half hour or so fleshing out Kruger, Delacourt, Max, and Spider would have made it 100% better. It felt like watching the Cliff's Notes of a much better film.

Even with such limited development, Kruger was loving awesome. He just seems so cheerful, at all times. "You almost had me. We die together, boyke." Didn't seem worried at all! Just happy as he can be, just a grinning, joyful, insanely ruthless and lethal bastard with no redeeming qualities at all. My favorite kind of psychopath. I'd probably sit down and burn two hours watching a "Previous Adventures of Kruger" movie with no complaints.

Even with the flaws it was better than most things that hit the screen today. The ending was pretty weak, though. "Now all the problems are solved, here are hospital ships the rich on Elysium were withholding from Earth due to sheer spite, now everything is all better." So realistic and gritty up to that point, then handwaving away everything. Ah well.

The opening image of Earth as almost entirely desert is a very powerful one, and gave me a chill every time it was shown. Let's hope we can get our act together and that isn't a preview of the real future. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread