Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Actually, I kind of misremembered the stat. His draft picks have played in the most games and had the most starts

still

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Rasczak posted:

I guess I should also post this:

Best guess is they target some combination of DT/OLB/WR in the next couple of rounds, assuming nothing crazy falls into their laps

I would do mine but there's been no change!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Is that loving true? A big big part of me is convinced our coaching staff is just awful.

As for Miami's picks... I'm a HUGE fan of Billy Turner. Selected him in the mock draft for Buffalo to play RT. Dude is versatile as hell, raw as hell, but has potential to be a stud RT or RG in this league. I think within a year, to be honest.

I dont know a drat thing because I flat out didn't think Miami would be taking a receiver this early. Hartline's last year in Miami :-\ Stupid, IMO. He's pure hands, pure first downs, pure clutch receptions. We instead draft a 5'11 receiver who runs a 4.7?

edit: Ok he apparently injured himself running the 40 yard dash and thats why his time was lovely. Hes apparently a 4.4 runner typically

Regarding Landry - he is more of a Brandon Gibson replacement than a Brian Hartline replacement. You should check out some of his highlights. His gigantic hands give him super powers. Watch that video I posted. Dude is bizarro Mike Wallace. He will actually fight for a ball. Oh and watch this video too. It will make you like him as a human being and get you pumped about the pick. He absolutely adores playing football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hHykzdioD4

This entire draft strategy is the opposite of what I wanted, but whatever. It's obvious that Miami is going to be a pass first team with Philbin in charge. Every move so far was designed to keep Tannehill upright, and pass the ball a ton.

It's also hilarious that we have drafted dudes that are all high character leader types who were captains on their teams. Poor Joe is trying so hard to get a few decent human beings on the roster.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Coldforge posted:

Watching Carlos Hyde games, the first thing that strikes me is how good he is at run blocking. I imagine the Niners are going to use some multi-back sets this year.

As someone who watched all of Hydes games the past two years he is really good at blocking also really good at catching the ball out of the backfield. I love Frank Gore to death but he is obviously in decline and I could see Hyde getting the most reps by the end of the year. Hes a bruiser who gets better as the game goes on and wears down a defense.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

quote:

Chargers.com: Many fans on Twitter want to know if you’re ready to get after the quarterbacks in the AFC West like Peyton Manning, Alex Smith and Matt Schaub.

Attaochu: Those guys are great quarterbacks, but they won’t run anywhere. I plan on making a living sacking those guys.

:love:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Atticus Finch posted:

But he was drafted in the first round according to him a few months ago.

He won a National Championship!
Just like Vince Young, Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassel, & Tim Tebow.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Ehud posted:

Regarding Landry - he is more of a Brandon Gibson replacement than a Brian Hartline replacement. You should check out some of his highlights. His gigantic hands give him super powers. Watch that video I posted. Dude is bizarro Mike Wallace. He will actually fight for a ball. Oh and watch this video too. It will make you like him as a human being and get you pumped about the pick. He absolutely adores playing football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hHykzdioD4

This entire draft strategy is the opposite of what I wanted, but whatever. It's obvious that Miami is going to be a pass first team with Philbin in charge. Every move so far was designed to keep Tannehill upright, and pass the ball a ton.

It's also hilarious that we have drafted dudes that are all high character leader types who were captains on their teams. Poor Joe is trying so hard to get a few decent human beings on the roster.

Landry owns and I wanted him so hard to be a Chief

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

The X-man cometh posted:

He won a National Championship!
Just like Vince Young, Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassel, & Tim Tebow.

2 out of 4 ain't bad although I guess Cassel won one while on the bench

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Gettleman specifically mentioned wanting to take a DB today, but was also quick to say free agency has been good to us in that regard. So I guess they won't take a DB unless he's a great value or they're totally in love with him or something.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Rad Valtar posted:

As someone who watched all of Hydes games the past two years he is really good at blocking also really good at catching the ball out of the backfield. I love Frank Gore to death but he is obviously in decline and I could see Hyde getting the most reps by the end of the year. Hes a bruiser who gets better as the game goes on and wears down a defense.

I'm betting they use the heck out of diamond formation with Lattimore and Hyde.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That's fine by me!

I actually like Turner at RG for us, which is what I think we are doing. Two rookies on the right side though... who is our LG going to be?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I don't mind either of the Lions picks yesterday.

Ebron was still a loving awful choice though.

I think they really wanted Watkins but didn't feel like the value was good enough to trade whatever the Bills gave up.
I don't think Ebron was a bad pick here. I thought it was really bad at the beginning but I'm stating to turn.

Pettigrew probably gone after next year. They can cut him and it will only count $2 million towards the cap and it would save $8 million. But they will use him as the blocking tight end and he won't have to catch the ball at all.

As much as Fauria is awesome, he isn't that good.

Lombardi really wanted Ebron and is planning on using him in the slot more often than not. They are hoping he turns into Jimmy Graham, which he absolutely could. I watched the draft breakdown clips of him and he can catch anything that is thrown at him. He can also drop anything thrown at him. He is also huge and fast. A good combination.

All in all I trust the Lions with whoever they draft. They have done an amazing job in the last few years.

Swanson is an awesome center and a really smart guy. Let him learn from Raiola for a year and I think he will do a fine job replacing him. He will probably also play guard a little bit.

Van Noy has a great beard so that's already a lock. Also we needed help there across from Levy.

I think they still need a speedy WR but I kinda want Jeremy Ross to play some more this year. He was awesome on special teams so maybe he can translate well.

Maybe some late CBs as well but maybe Austin thinks the corners we have are good enough.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think the Lions wanted Watkins>Evans>Barr but they all went.

I think they'll pretty much use Ebron as a wideout. A redzone matchup with Megatron, Fauria, Ebron and Bell looks to be a nightmare for defenses.

The Van Noy pick is inspired. I'm a bit annoyed with the center pick. I would of rather had Terrence Brooks I think he's a gem.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ehud posted:

Actually, I kind of misremembered the stat. His draft picks have played in the most games and had the most starts

still

lol

Did you take a picture of your computer screen?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
God dammit Cleveland. making GBS threads up my saturday.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Brannock posted:

Did you take a picture of your computer screen?

not my pic

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Tom Savage sucks

Case Keenum 2014 (this time with Arian Foster and a full offensive line)

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Sorry if it's been posted before, but Louis Nix is hilarious.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24454464/notre-dame-dt-louis-nix-on-losing-23-pounds-i-just-feel-sexier

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami did much much better today than yesterday. I think Billy Turner is better than James, personally, but I think they will both start. Turner would be the better RT in the long run but as far as pass protection James is great. Run blocking is meh. I guess that means Turner is RG, while James is RT.

Although Turner might be better at LG, as he's more athletic.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
wrong thread

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I hate the Bengals.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Atticus Finch posted:

I hate the Bengals.

karma for dennard falling to you, 8 years of aj mccarron as your qb

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
SEC-North :whatup:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

This Bengals draft seems specifically engineered to make them a more hateable team. Luckily AJ McCarron will eventually piss someone off on the sideline for the last time and get cut.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I dunno if people care about what I think about Iowa football players but if they do here are those thoughts!

CJ Fiedorowicz: Really really really big. Moves okay but not great. Fairly reliable hands and an absurd catch radius. Goes down surprisingly easy for someone his size, which was consistently frustrating. So-so route runner. Really great in the redzone where he can just post guys up and go get the ball (which Iowa someone never figured out until his last year, which was infuriating) and kinda meh everywhere else. Might be better than I'm giving him credit for as a receiver though because Iowa had bad QBs while he was here and didn't use him very well, there's a decent chance he goes down as the most underutilized guy of the Ferentz era. Exceptional blocker for a tight end, if he'd wanted to do it Ferentz probably could have turned him into an NFL LT after four years of coaching/bulking up. Basically a less productive but way more gifted version of Scott Chandler and Scott Chandler is still kicking around being tall and catching TDs.

Christian Kirksey: Goes by Chris now according to ESPN which is disorienting to me and I'm not going to call him that. Really smart player, always in the right spot. Sound tackler who was crazy productive. Great in coverage and moves well for a linebacker. Iowa's scheme forces the Leo to cover slot receivers all the time and he was always pretty solid at it. He came into Iowa as a safety as still looks like one. Really skinny for a linebacker, and consequentially is not very strong can get swallowed up by blockers. Because he's so small not much of a pass rush threat even last year when Iowa starting doing lots of goofy no down linemen looks and zone blitzs to try to mask our lovely defensive ends. Can probably at least play on passing downs and special teams and stuff. Went earlier than I thought he would.

Anthony Hitchens: My favorite Iowa player last year. Not very big but strong as gently caress and hits like a truck. Can sometimes miss tackles going for a knockout shot. Reads blocks and flows to the ball really well. Racked up a shitload of tackles. Pretty bad in coverage. Pretty good straight line speed but not all that great laterally. Really good at blitzing which made we wish we'd let him do it more before last year. Will be an excellent special teamer I think, but I doubt he plays much otherwise. I didn't expect him to get drafted and am psyched that the Cowboys took him. They've never had an Iowa guy before. If he makes the team I'll buy his jersey.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 10, 2014

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

That's fine by me!

I actually like Turner at RG for us, which is what I think we are doing. Two rookies on the right side though... who is our LG going to be?

Shelley Smith is probably the Right Guard, he did his best work there last season. I think the idea is probably Turner at LG, I don't know if he has any experience on the other side.

It sounds stupid but some guys can't switch sides.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
I think the Raiders are going to grab Sam with the final pick. :getin:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Nawid posted:

I think the Raiders are going to grab Sam with the final pick. :getin:

Texans have that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Making the NFL's first openly gay player Mr Irrelevant would be such a hilarious troll

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Coldforge posted:

Texans have that.

Final non-comp pick? Idk

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
So in like three years the entire Patriots roster will be players from Florida and Rutgers.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

swickles posted:

So in like three years the entire Patriots roster will be players from Florida and Rutgers.

And Dreamboat Garappolo

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Rad Valtar posted:

As someone who watched all of Hydes games the past two years he is really good at blocking also really good at catching the ball out of the backfield.

Maybe we'll actually throw a pass to an RB this year, maybe even *gasp* a screen.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Goddammit Steelers

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Pretty disappointed that the Chiefs didn't grab a single WR in this stacked class, unless you count De'Anthony Thomas who may get slot snaps or w/e

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Maybe we'll actually throw a pass to an RB this year, maybe even *gasp* a screen.

Screens would require an O-line willing to run them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
That moment I find myself starting to agree with Chris Kluwe :negative:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
someone tell me what to think of the vikings draft because from where i'm sitting, unknowledgeable and disinterested, it's seeming like they're having about as perfect of an off-season as could be expected from this team and this strange new world is frightening me. i am afraid to go outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Obama Yo Mama posted:

someone tell me what to think of the vikings draft because from where i'm sitting, unknowledgeable and disinterested, it's seeming like they're having about as perfect of an off-season as could be expected from this team and this strange new world is frightening me. i am afraid to go outside.

The Vikings have quietly been having the best drafts in the entire league for the past few years.

• Locked thread