Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I sincerely hope Bort is good for the Jags, that's a team that deserves some success almost as much as the Browns. Plus his name is endlessly amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That Bortles highlight video really makes me sad the Ravens didn't draft Storm Johnson.

Or that whole receiving corp. Circus catches aren't the best highlight of your QBs ability.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

A Pale Horse posted:

I sincerely hope Bort is good for the Jags, that's a team that deserves some success almost as much as the Browns. Plus his name is endlessly amusing.
The Browns need a new owner before they're allowed to be successful.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Who's ready for Jeff Janis to wreck poo poo with the Packers?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That Bortles highlight video really makes me sad the Ravens didn't draft Storm Johnson.

Or that whole receiving corp. Circus catches aren't the best highlight of your QBs ability.

I don't think Bort is an immediate starter, I remember someone in the draft coverage yesterday saying they planned to sit him for a year to help him catch up to the pro game. He was drafted for his measurables mostly as he's the prototype for what you look for in a QB physically.

Also any Huskies fans can give me the lowdown on Seferian-Jenkins? I heard he has some character issue flags in his past, what's the story?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A Pale Horse posted:

I don't think Bort is an immediate starter, I remember someone in the draft coverage yesterday saying they planned to sit him for a year to help him catch up to the pro game. He was drafted for his measurables mostly as he's the prototype for what you look for in a QB physically.

Good thing they have Chad Henne to lock down that spot and prevent any QB controversies from coming up.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Good thing they have Chad Henne to lock down that spot and prevent any QB controversies from coming up.

This but unironically

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Intruder posted:

This but unironically

The thing with bad teams is that you can take a former MVP candidate like Daunte Culpepper and say this guy will easily start for us all year and our top 5 pick raw prospect can just get up to speed on the bench, and somehow, magically, it doesn't go down like that. With how terrible Henne was all year, he doesn't stand a chance. Can't wait to hear a crowd chant "Bortles!" in week 5.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Henne might be starting in front if the number three overall pick for awhile.

Bortles

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

A Pale Horse posted:

Also any Huskies fans can give me the lowdown on Seferian-Jenkins? I heard he has some character issue flags in his past, what's the story?

I don't have any insider information from within the team itself, but ASJ was arrested for a DUI incident over last summer and was suspended for the opener last season. That may have been one of the reasons why he didn't put up numbers as great as the previous year, as I think he was suspended from practice as well so it took him a decent amount of time to adjust coming back. I don't think it'll be a kind of Aldon Smith problem, if that's what you're concerned about.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Just popping in to mention that Johnny Football is doomed. He was marked for death the instant he was projected to go to the Browns. Remember how many top talent QBs from the draft have gone to the Browns and were immediately obliterated within their first season? No? Of course you don't. They've been erased from existence.

Good luck to him, I really hope it works out, but history is against him.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

I don't have any insider information from within the team itself, but ASJ was arrested for a DUI incident over last summer and was suspended for the opener last season. That may have been one of the reasons why he didn't put up numbers as great as the previous year, as I think he was suspended from practice as well so it took him a decent amount of time to adjust coming back. I don't think it'll be a kind of Aldon Smith problem, if that's what you're concerned about.

Okay cool, if its just the one incident then that's not bad, I'd be more worried if there was a pattern of character issues. DUI is not great obviously, but its pretty low on the rotten things football players do hierarchy. If he pans out I'll be so excited. Watching some of his highlight tape from draftbreakdown.com yesterday I was particularly impressed with his blocking. Dude can seal the edge or open holes, also a really good downfield and second level blocker. I was impressed.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Dave Caldwell addressing this eventuality: (The first time Chad Henne throws an interception they’re going to be screaming for Bortles) “The first time Blake throws an interception they will be screaming for Chad, too. That’s any quarterback anywhere. Chad’s a pro and he’s going to compete and we’re fortunate to have both of those guys. I think the other thing that drove this is 52 different starting quarterbacks last year in the NFL. Only 16 quarterbacks started all 16 games. If you look at our roster we needed some depth there. I think the majority of those were due to injuries so this is a situation where we’ve got some depth now and a guy for the future.”

They acknowledge he could see playing time due to injury. That's why Henne saw so much playing time early on in the 2013 season despite the coaches dedication to Gabbert. There is no reason to think they'll refuse to start Bortles at any given point in the season. What is being done with Bortles is similar to what was done for Russel Wilson, it's just that there are different public expectations with a 3rd rounder vs a 3rd overall. The plan is for Bortles to sit and learn and to compete. That last part is the most important bit. He's going to compete and has a chance at taking the starting job even by the end of the preseason, but they aren't going to thrust the expectations of the franchise on him once the inks dry on the contract just because of draft position. This allows him to come in and feel the pressure, but not the stress and anxiety that comes with it.

Dr. Foom
Jul 5, 2007

I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Blitz7x posted:

Lol 2 different 2015 mock drafts already have the Raiders getting Jameis Winston

The HURF DURF RAIDERS DRAFT LIKE IDIOTS meme will never die.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Oakland drafted a Carr.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PrinceRandom posted:

Oakland drafted a Carr.

The entire reason I was against this is because now there's no way in hell we can draft a QB in the first next year. Carr will still be a big enough question mark that we'll pass on better prospects while everyone waits to see if he can get it together. It's dumb, but there's no loving way that Oakland goes QB next year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I really love Storm Johnson but as someone who watches a ton of UCF games, his fumbling is legitimately a problem. I hope he corrects it with coaching and him and Bortles own the AFC South though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Blitz7x posted:

Lol 2 different 2015 mock drafts already have the Raiders getting Jameis Winston

I see one that has the Texans taking Hundley which would be perfectly fine with me but it won't happen even if they're in a position to draft him

Also a 2015 mock draft the day after the 2014 draft lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Intruder posted:

I see one that has the Texans taking Hundley which would be perfectly fine with me but it won't happen even if they're in a position to draft him

Also a 2015 mock draft the day after the 2014 draft lol

Link this, I need it

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Volkerball posted:

The entire reason I was against this is because now there's no way in hell we can draft a QB in the first next year. Carr will still be a big enough question mark that we'll pass on better prospects while everyone waits to see if he can get it together. It's dumb, but there's no loving way that Oakland goes QB next year.

As someone who lived through Kyle Boller the year before the Rivers, Rothlisberger, Manning draft I feel for you and hope Carr does amazing. Good QB or bad QB he's a cool dude and Oakland absolutely deserves a return to relevance.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Alouicious posted:

Link this, I need it

Here you go: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/5/10/5704632/2015-nfl-mock-draft-jameis-winston-marcus-mariota

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Is this the place for UFDA's too? Cause I'm excited the Texans got Max Bullough; I was a fan of the MSU defense last year.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Things that strike me:

a.) Every single player is from one of the "big" colleges (except Dorial Green-Beckham who got kicked out of Mizzou for throwing his girlfriend down the stairs)

b.) lol Bryce Petty 6th overall

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well what the hell else are they going to put in a 2015 mock the day after the draft? Petty's pretty funny though, although I'm sure he'll put up amazing numbers.

e: Actually the final day of the draft, he had that up yesterday like an hour after it ended. Christ.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 11, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It would be cool if DGB morphed himself into the model human being, complete with unreasonable time spent doing charity work and using his celebrity platform to promote worthwhile causes, over the next year because I'd like to stop feeling guilty for wanting him on my team.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's way too high for both QBs, that's definitely gonna change in 9 months

I love that someone has already overhyped Bryce Petty though

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Pillbug
I find multiple runningbacks projected to go in the first round being pretty suspect too. It has to be a byproduct of them just being more widely known collegiate prospects.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PrinceRandom posted:

Is this the place for UFDA's too?

There is a thread for them but we cleverly hid it by putting "Undrafted Free Agency" in the title so I understand your confusion. We will try to be more clear next year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 11, 2014

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Just felt the need to give some respect for the title/OP for this thread

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Poz posted:

I find multiple runningbacks projected to go in the first round being pretty suspect too. It has to be a byproduct of them just being more widely known collegiate prospects.

Gurley is a lot better than anyone in the last two draft classes.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Who the gently caress is Randy Gregory?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Gurley is a lot better than anyone in the last two draft classes.
Ehh I'm not a big fan of upright runners but I do agree that he is the most interesting RB to come out lately.

On the scale of Brandon Jacobs to Adrian Peterson I wouldn't put him on the right side of the scale

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 11, 2014

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if he doesn't break himself again this year

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

A Pale Horse posted:

He was drafted for his measurables mostly as he's the prototype for what you look for in a QB physically.

Sentences like this make me think of Todd Marinovich and then I get sad and have this feeling that Jaguars fans aren't finished having to watch Blaine Gabbert. All 2 of them.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Volkerball posted:

I wouldn't be so sure. A few teams have decided to forgo their guy for a super talent the next year. If Carr sucks bad enough they might not give a poo poo. Carolina did it when Clausen mega sucked. If there's a sure fire top guy and Carr is utter poo poo there's definitely a precedent for it.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

BlindSite posted:

I wouldn't be so sure. A few teams have decided to forgo their guy for a super talent the next year. If Carr sucks bad enough they might not give a poo poo. Carolina did it when Clausen mega sucked. If there's a sure fire top guy and Carr is utter poo poo there's definitely a precedent for it.

I was just about to use the Clausen example myself. But it's unlikely that Carr will be that bad, and if there's a slam-dunk prospect at another position they might do that anyway. Who knows how people will feel about Winston in a year anyway, especially if he can't keep himself out of trouble.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Needs More Ditka posted:

Sentences like this make me think of Todd Marinovich and then I get sad and have this feeling that Jaguars fans aren't finished having to watch Blaine Gabbert. All 2 of them.

Bortles doesn't immediately poo poo himself the second there's pressure

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alouicious posted:

Bortles doesn't immediately poo poo himself the second there's pressure

Took me a second to realize this wasn't about Marinovich. Or at least only about Marinovich.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
AJ McCarron is whining to the media that he wasn't healthy in Alabama. Dude seems so petulant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Can anyone tell me why Yankey fell to the 5th and whether or not I should be mad at the Seahawks for not picking him up? I thought he was supposed to be really good.

• Locked thread