Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Don Jones was fined for the tweets he made after Michael Sam was drafted, and is excused from all team activities until he undergoes and completes educational/sensitivity training (similar to what Culliver did after his lovely comments, minus the doing work with LGBT youth part of Culliver's punishment). GM Hickey said he was disappointed in Jones, and that the Rams' pick of Sam was "a great thing" for the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eifert Posting posted:

AJ McCarron is whining to the media that he wasn't healthy in Alabama. Dude seems so petulant.

Everything I've ever read about him makes him seem like a really self absorbed guy

Sweeney Tom posted:

GM Hickey said he was disappointed in Jones, and that the Rams' pick of Sam was "a great thing*" for the league.

*As long as some other team does it

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Pouncy is such a moron.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Azhais posted:

Everything I've ever read about him makes him seem like a really self absorbed guy

*As long as some other team does it

I think he was saying in reference to his player tweeting rear end in a top hat remarks about Sam. Also, Miami is literally the worst possible place he could go considering the locker room history and poo poo.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tom Savage wearing a goPro helmet (helmet with a camera on top)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGBExvpIHts

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Sweeney Tom posted:

Don Jones was fined for the tweets he made after Michael Sam was drafted, and is excused from all team activities until he undergoes and completes educational/sensitivity training (similar to what Culliver did after his lovely comments, minus the doing work with LGBT youth part of Culliver's punishment). GM Hickey said he was disappointed in Jones, and that the Rams' pick of Sam was "a great thing" for the league.

Jones is a shithead but I really hate the tendency of the NFL to fine players for stuff that has nothing to do with their play. If Jones wants to be a dumb bigoted rear end in a top hat whatever. We all still get to treat him like a dumb bigoted rear end in a top hat.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Intruder posted:

Tom Savage wearing a goPro helmet (helmet with a camera on top)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGBExvpIHts

Man this video really drives home two things:

1. How important coaching is
2. How fast those quarterbacks have to/can throw the ball.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
I kind of think that video makes it look way harder than it is when you're there in person.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That CBS Article is kinda misleading with those twitter photos. If you didnt know any better youd think he responded to the guys question with "Horrible"

still he's a moron and gently caress him. And people sending him "support"

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Jones is a shithead but I really hate the tendency of the NFL to fine players for stuff that has nothing to do with their play. If Jones wants to be a dumb bigoted rear end in a top hat whatever. We all still get to treat him like a dumb bigoted rear end in a top hat.

I believe the team fined him, not the league, which I personally feel is totally within their right to do.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Eifert Posting posted:

AJ McCarron is whining to the media that he wasn't healthy in Alabama. Dude seems so petulant.
He pretty obviously was nursing an injury for the last half of 2013, that said no one likes excuses.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Grozz Nuy posted:

I believe the team fined him, not the league, which I personally feel is totally within their right to do.

Oh, that is a bit different.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Can anyone tell me why Yankey fell to the 5th and whether or not I should be mad at the Seahawks for not picking him up? I thought he was supposed to be really good.

I honestly think most of the time the difference between a 3rd round guard selection and 5th round selection is the board of the team.

Pretty much any guard who goes in the 2nd or higher is going to be a great athlete capable of pulling and or like pouncey for eg if they go in the first they're already excellent technicians with minimal injry history.

Yankey has the same issue every other mid round guard has. Which is that they need to bend more from the hips rather than the waist and have a tendency to get off balance, normally lunging at the point of attack and to use a maddenism getting their nose too far over their toes.

It's all coachable. Most offensive line coaches worth their salt can take a guy anywhere in those rounds and so long as they're not retarded (player or coach) and turn them into a player.

It's a weird position during the draft. Probably has the least seperation between prospects as far as ability in professional sports but a bad one or great one can change your offenses fortunes massively.

Tl:Dr nothing, he just didn't have anything to drive him up boards.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Grozz Nuy posted:

Nah, it was probably Incognito who issued the fine. "Broke MSam. Fine: $500"

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Brannock posted:

Man this video really drives home two things:

1. How important coaching is
2. How fast those quarterbacks have to/can throw the ball.

also how far the throws actually are on deep routes. even just throwing that poo poo to the sidelines looked like a pretty good distance

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Eifert Posting posted:

Gee I wonder why coaches were turned off of him. Is he saying he wasn't as big of a part of the team succeeding because he was hurt his entire career at Bama? cause that doesn't come off much as a positive either.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I don't want him to do bad, but his declining the senior bowl and subsequently ushering in the ascension of Garopollo to the pats is kinda neat.

But also this process has been chock full of schadenfreude

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pillsburysoldier posted:

I don't want him to do bad

That's one of us. Maybe two if MV isn't just saying he's a fine backup prospect and actually likes him.

I guess I find JFF's media screwups hilarious and can still wish him well but man do I dislike McCarron a whole lot more than I did 6 or 7 months ago. Although I admit it isn't like I liked him much then.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
McCarron's like Taboo from the Black Eyed Peas, except instead of just being a hanger-on he's also annoying in the way he holds himself. I don't know if Taboo from the Black Eyed Peas is like that because honest to god I've never heard the guy speak.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Watching him crash and burn would be fun. Watching him become an all time great so at age 40 people are still giving him poo poo about that terrible tattoo would also be fun.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

Watching him crash and burn would be fun. Watching him become an all time great so at age 40 people are still giving him poo poo about that terrible tattoo would also be fun.

I can admit that the second part would be pretty hilarious.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I hope his reality show catches on because this last week was pretty magical . :allears:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MMQB Cleveland

quote:

Preamble to yet more words about Johnny Manziel, the 22nd pick in the NFL Draft Thursdaynight: Between 7 p.m. and midnight Thursday, Twitter recorded approximately 2.5 million Tweets related to Manziel. In the same five hours, 519,000 Tweets were posted, combined, concerning LeBron James, the Miami-Brooklyn and Portland-San Antonio playoff games, and the NHL playoff games (Boston-Montreal, Anaheim-Los Angeles). Five times as many people Tweeted about Manziel alone than Tweeted about the four most important games of the night and the most charismatic athlete in America playing in one of the games—James. “That is a pretty wild stat,’’ Manziel said.

---

And so here’s Johnny. But the Browns must have really loved the Manziel tape—because his workout with Cleveland brass 19 days before the draft was a mess. On Good Friday night, Browns coach Mike Pettine, GM Ray Farmer, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterback coach Dowell Loggains went to dinner with Manziel and Burkhardt at a country club outside of College Station, near the Texas A&M campus. “We worked out 10 quarterbacks and ate with all with all of them,’’ Pettine said Saturday night. “That’s the only meal we didn’t pay for.” The workout was set for 8 a.m. Saturday morning, so the Clevelanders and Manziel could make it home comfortably for Easter. One problem: no receivers. So a high school buddy, Shanahan and Burkhardt—in jeans and sneakers—were the pass-catchers. After the workout, which included some clanks off Burkhardt’s hands, the agent said to Manziel: “I’ve seen you better.”

A workout with 2 wide receivers, one of whom is Manziel's agent, and the other is the offensive coordinator.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Well, 3 receivers, unless "a high school buddy" describes Kyle Shanahan. But that's the fault of Peter King's writing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

That's one of us. Maybe two if MV isn't just saying he's a fine backup prospect and actually likes him.

Nah, he seems pretty douchey and not in the amusing way JFF is. I just think people here are unfair to him as a player, probably in reaction to the media in general overrating him in college. He wasn't a deserving Heisman candidate, but he was a good QB. He wasn't John Parker Wilson or something, which is how everyone here talks about him.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Great section on Baalke's draft trades, but he gets the 49ers' LB groups mixed up.

Some expert :colbert:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Coldforge posted:

Great section on Baalke's draft trades, but he gets the 49ers' LB groups mixed up.

Some expert :colbert:

I bet if it was someone at a hotel who pissed him off or a barista who messed up his coffee, he would get all the details right.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

shiksa posted:

Gee I wonder why coaches were turned off of him. Is he saying he wasn't as big of a part of the team succeeding because he was hurt his entire career at Bama? cause that doesn't come off much as a positive either.

The last year, I've really soured on him. Not so much as a player - I still think he's a pretty damned good quarterback. But mentally, he's turned into a whiny, petulant, spoiled, entitled, 12 year old girl. He really needs to shut up.

Or not. The meltdown will be interesting to see.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alouicious posted:

Bortles doesn't immediately poo poo himself the second there's pressure
Actually his mechanics degrade significantly under pressure from what I saw.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

New 49er WR Bruce Ellington.

:love:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bortles under pressure is one of his strongest statistical attributes.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Finebaum is going to be amazing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Actually his mechanics degrade significantly under pressure from what I saw.

yeah but you are the living incarnation of confirmation bias

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I would prefer if all quarterbacks loving owned.

But Bortles has bad lower body mechanics under pressure and when he hurries his throws. He leaves his feet, scissor kicks, throws off his back foot, throws trailing away, throws across his body when his velocity is not great for a guy whose measurements are touted as prototypical.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Hey Bears fans, get hype.

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/videos/Bears-scout-Saint-Paul-on-QB-Fales/bf27a7cf-b3ae-4a14-8cf4-f71b2c34abc6

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Epic Fales.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Abugadu posted:

Epic Fales.

4 years from now Packers/Bears will be Tolzien/Fales, and it will be glorious.

Kedzie
Dec 13, 2004

they all float down here

Bears signed him to a four year deal already. We'll have all of our guys signed before rookie mini camp at this rate.

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Coldforge posted:

New 49er WR Bruce Ellington.

:love:

Bruce is the best and I'm really mad that two of my favorite USC guys are on your team :( please treat him nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Abugadu posted:

Epic Fales.

oh god i am so glad he's bad and will never start

• Locked thread