Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

effectual posted:

It's the media itself generating the controversy for ratings. Sam was already out years ago but it wasn't covered then because tolerance isn't a juicy story. I hope Sam has an average uneventful year to bore the media away from the gay controversy.

Good thing that's basically guaranteed to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I thought the story was that Sam was getting a lot of probing questions from NFL interviews, that he thought that they felt that he should be forthright in his homosexuality. So instead of having the scouts and everything be like "how gay are you exactly?" though the process, he took the bull by the horns and put it out there himself. I know it was no secret at Mizzou that he was gay

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

pillsburysoldier posted:

he took the bull by the horns

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

quote:

Asher Mathews ‏@AsherMathews 45s
I see for the second year in a row, the #Raiders draft a DB that's had open-heart surgery. Apparently, that's Reggie's type.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Bomani Jones owning nerds on twitter is the greatest part of this draft :allears: ATH is the best show on ESPN and Tony Kornheiser carries the second half of that hour.

edit: source

Eifert Posting posted:

Darqueze Dennard will wear #21
Jeremy Hill will wear #32
Will Clarke will wear #93, New Bengals strategy after being too cheap to retain players is to give rookies that # and hope people don't notice.

Hill needs to back up off my man Rudi Johnson's number or I will be writing stern letters to the Bengals!!

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 11, 2014

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Zerilan posted:

I could definitely see him being their best pass rusher regardless of where he lines up at. Second best under Heyward maybe.

Woof, I hope not. That would mean the Worilds reverted back to being hurt/bad and Jarvis showed little improvement pass rushing wise over his rookie season

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
They'll file them right next to the stern letters you wrote about Benson and Crocker.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Roasted Donut posted:

Woof, I hope not. That would mean the Worilds reverted back to being hurt/bad and Jarvis showed little improvement pass rushing wise over his rookie season

Worilds I'm probably just being overly critical of but Jones concerns me that he's just too slow and isn't going to build up the strength to compensate for it by just shoving linemen around.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I just want the Rams to troll America and announce that Sam's number is gonna be #69.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
I wish Bomani would still do his Durham radio show

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

MourningView posted:

Langford and Hayes are both good backups, it's going to be really hard to crack that roster. It's cool that he gets to stay in Missouri and that he got drafted, but from a pure football perspective that's one of the worst teams he could have wound up on. He'd have been better off as a UDFA where he could try to a find a 3-4 team that was light on pass rushers.

Exactly.

And to make the final 53, he'd have to beat out Mason Brodine and Eugene Sims, which I don't see happening (definitely not Sims). He'll basically be auditioning for a practice squad spot.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Wow I forgot Cedric Benson even existed and Crocker has had like 3 numbers in his time with Bengals because he's terrible and stuff :colbert:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Wesley Johnson's tape vs South Carolina stuff. His no holding calls in college certainly included a little luck, since I saw a few things that could have real easily been called, but he also walls Clowney pretty well in pass protection through the first half, and Clowney gets moved away from him in the second half.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Zerilan posted:

Worilds I'm probably just being overly critical of but Jones concerns me that he's just too slow and isn't going to build up the strength to compensate for it by just shoving linemen around.

He got a lot better as the year went on, I think he'll be fine. He's been doing some heavy duty off season work and OLB is maybe the most complex position to learn in LeBeau's D so we'll see

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Roasted Donut posted:

He got a lot better as the year went on, I think he'll be fine. He's been doing some heavy duty off season work and OLB is maybe the most complex position to learn in LeBeau's D so we'll see

If Tuitt can make an immediate impact I think that will be a big difference maker. Their past OLB's largely thrived because of how good the DEs used to be. Heyward started looking like someone that fits right in with how stacked that 2011 first round was on defense though once he started getting more playtime.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

MourningView posted:

The Cowboys website has video of their calls to every draft pick, which is sorta cool but holy poo poo Rod Marinelli is the corniest dude in the world.

He greets DeMarcus Lawrence with "what's up, stud?"

Sounds less "corny" than "Marinelli has a camshow for men."

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Zerilan posted:

If Tuitt can make an immediate impact I think that will be a big difference maker. Their past OLB's largely thrived because of how good the DEs used to be. Heyward started looking like someone that fits right in with how stacked that 2011 first round was on defense though once he started getting more playtime.

Yeah that's one of the only things that worries me, it seems like DE takes a bit to fill in in LeBeau's D, but if anyone can do it quick it's Tuitt. If not I think Brian Arnfelt will be that guy

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Surprised by the number of non-football fans I know (like people who don't give a drat at all) now posting that the Rams are their favorite team. I wonder if STL was always going to draft him if he fell to them in the 7th (Missouri love), or if they or someone else got a call from the commissioner's office. I can't imagine the NFL welcomed the prospect of Sam going undrafted.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Petey posted:

Surprised by the number of non-football fans I know (like people who don't give a drat at all) now posting that the Rams are their favorite team. I wonder if STL was always going to draft him if he fell to them in the 7th (Missouri love), or if they or someone else got a call from the commissioner's office. I can't imagine the NFL welcomed the prospect of Sam going undrafted.

Jeff Fischer is an NFL lifer and the co-chair of the competition committee eleven of the last twelve years, and the article about 'the decision' makes pains to note that Jeff was the sole shot-caller for drafting Michael Sam. If Goodell was panicking about the optics Jeff would be his first phone-call.

That said, the Missouri homer pick and the prospect of a #1 selling jersey and the way it 'protects the shield' in the abstract, Michael Sam was a 'fine' pick even without quid pro quo skullduggery.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Even with that amazing line, the most beautiful GM in the buisness, and Michael Sam the Rams aren't likable. gently caress Jeff Fisher for always.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Wow I forgot Cedric Benson even existed and Crocker has had like 3 numbers in his time with Bengals because he's terrible and stuff :colbert:

It was absolutely retarded that the Bengals gave 85 to Armon Binns right after Ocho got cut but absolutely hilarious that they gave #9 to John Skelton so I'm conflicted on Bengals numbering policies

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Aaron Murray got picked one pick before the Bengals took a QB. gently caress everything.

Edit: AJ couldn't keep his #10 cause Huber's a boss. aha gently caress you McCarron. Maybe if you're lucky Huber will let you carry his pads during camp. They're Punter's pads so they'll be nice and light.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 11, 2014

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Even with that amazing line, the most beautiful GM in the buisness, and Michael Sam the Rams aren't likable. gently caress Jeff Fisher for always.

jeff fischer or not they;re the coolest team in that division and have been for a long time

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Aaron Murray got picked one pick before the Bengals took a QB. gently caress everything.

It wouldn't have shocked me if the Bengals were going to take Prosch in the 6th, who got poached the pick right before the Bengals too. Welp

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Petey posted:

The not insane Freeper conspiracy take is the Rams did what every team aspires to in the late parts of the draft and take guys with major flaws but a lot of upside. Plus the Rams love them some pass rushers the last few years.

Sam might surprise people because he has his physical attributes where they should be and has great football instincts and always busts his rear end on every play. He seems like the ideal candidate to be coached up and to find a productive niche on that defense, where scheme and techniques developed will allow him to make some plays. He had a lovely rear end combine when he was already projected to be a mid round pick at best, so its not surprising he fell that far.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

I hope Gabe Ikard gets signed. He's really underrated and could be incredible in a few years in the right place. I don't think that right place is Tennessee but we'll see?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

you are so incredibly wrong here that it almost hurts!

ebg fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 11, 2014

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
Pretty content with the Packers draft. The only real surprise was not picking up a QB. Team must have faith in Scott Tolzien and Flynn to hold down the fort this year at backup QB. Drafting a defensive lineman high probably means the end of Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly in GB. Other than that, glad they loaded up on WRs and finally addressed the gaping hole at FS caused by Nick Collins neck injury.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

What was the Pats plan this draft, exactly? I understand you don't need to be a physical specimen for center, but Stork was always workable at FSU and never really excelled. The rest of the picks feel like reaches too

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

say no to bats posted:

The not insane Freeper conspiracy take is the Rams did what every team aspires to in the late parts of the draft and take guys with major flaws but a lot of upside. Plus the Rams love them some pass rushers the last few years.

Sam might surprise people because he has his physical attributes where they should be and has great football instincts and always busts his rear end on every play. He seems like the ideal candidate to be coached up and to find a productive niche on that defense, where scheme and techniques developed will allow him to make some plays. He had a lovely rear end combine when he was already projected to be a mid round pick at best, so its not surprising he fell that far.

Yea I don't think there was any secret call, he's an appealing low level pick that fits the Rams.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
It's great that Michael Sam got drafted by a team called the Rams. A species where the males regularly smash into each other.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Roasted Donut posted:

jeff fischer or not they;re the coolest team in that division and have been for a long time

How dare you slight the seahawks fuckstick

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Rap posted:

How dare you slight the seahawks fuckstick

Pete Carroll thinks chemtrails turned Sam queer.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!
Puppy Bowl, you've been getting angrier and angrier this off season. Do you want to take a break? We can call you in September, bud. :)

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

swickles posted:

Pete Carroll thinks chemtrails turned Sam queer.

this meme is tired, start talking about how he laid the blueprint for the pats superbowls and bellicheck is a fraud because that one is truthful

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Daric posted:

It's great that Michael Sam got drafted by a team called the Rams. A species where the males regularly smash into each other.

If you were gonna make a rams+gay joke you should have at least tied in the fact that they are one of the most well-studied cases of homosexuality in animals.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

BougieBitch posted:

If you were gonna make a rams+gay joke you should have at least tied in the fact that they are one of the most well-studied cases of homosexuality in animals.

I didn't even know that, that's actually pretty interesting.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Daric posted:

I didn't even know that, that's actually pretty interesting.

If you go deeper you find that an OSU player (not that one. not that one, either) was pulled over while stealing one of the gay sheep from a study of said gay sheep.

yup.

yup.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Roasted Donut posted:

this meme is tired, start talking about how he laid the blueprint for the pats superbowls and bellicheck is a fraud because that one is truthful

thank you for making me think . . .

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

LockHeart posted:

Puppy Bowl, you've been getting angrier and angrier this off season. Do you want to take a break? We can call you in September, bud. :)

Nah, post draft has settled in and I'm already beginning to cool. I really like the Rams, they even have my favorite uniform. I just really can't stand Fisher. When they go 6-10 this year due to how amazing the rest of their division is I hope Fisher gets dumped in favor of someone worthy of the rest of the team.

Besides, you couldn't pay me to miss out on the non-stop excitement of Jerry Rice Jr. filled mini-camps.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Haters vacate.

• Locked thread