Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Purifoy to the broncos of course. Dude is a 2nd round talent. God drat

Apologies for the dumb question, but why did Purifoy go undrafted? Was it to do with the aforementioned arrest warrant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Homestar Runner posted:

Apologies for the dumb question, but why did Purifoy go undrafted? Was it to do with the aforementioned arrest warrant?

Bath salts

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Homestar Runner posted:

Here is a good, but long article on why Purifoy and Roberson went undrafted.

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2014/5/11/5707056/loucheiz-purifoy-marcus-roberson-undrafted-udfa-2014-nfl-draft

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
^^ Gotcha, thanks guys - checking out that article now

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

I thought you were joking, and then I read the article. Bath salts is right. I don't blame any team for taking a pass on him with those character issues.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Pattycakes posted:

I thought you were joking, and then I read the article. Bath salts is right. I don't blame any team for taking a pass on him with those character issues.

also trying to get out of it by snitching, and then trying to get out of snitching. There's a reason the Gainseville PD internal affairs is looking into why his arrest warrant was quashed, because that's the sort of poo poo that lands normal people in prison

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Skov is awesome, and the name would be perfect if the Vikings had signed him.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 12, 2014

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The official announcement...

@RavensInsider
Colts agree to terms with former Florida defensive back Louchiez Purifoy

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh I thought Denver did. Hmm

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Misinformation everywhere. Florio actually wrote a :siren:non-idiotic piece about it

quote:

While it’s unlikely any of the so-called (even if they are only called that by themselves) draft experts will acknowledge that the draft process is a crapshoot, with so many of the guys about whom they’ve been gushing never doing anything of significance at the next level, at least one of them realizes the flaws in the system.

Sort of.

ESPN’s Todd McShay has decided in the wake of the 2014 draft to wag a finger at those who had a role in cajoling underclassmen to give up remaining eligibility to enter the NFL, and to not be drafted.

“For those agents/media members selling ’2nd contract’ to these young men, what say you to the 36 of 98 underclassmen not drafted?”

Here’s one thing they/we should say: You shouldn’t have listened to made-for-TV draftniks like Todd McShay when deciding what to do.

McShay and those of his ilk routinely put ideas in the heads of players that have no relevance to what NFL teams actually think. Soon, McShay undoubtedly will unveil his incredibly-too-premature list of the top players for 2015, and he’ll include in that list — you guessed it — underclassmen.

Last year, McShay put Tennessee offensive lineman Antonio Richardson at No. 16 on the top 32 players for the 2014 draft. Inevitably, Richardson gave up his final year of eligibility at Tennessee to enter the draft. And Richardson wasn’t drafted.

Ditto for Florida cornerback Loucheiz Purifoy. Ranked at No. 19 last year by McShay, Purifoy left school early for the draft. And Purifoy wasn’t drafted.

Then there’s LSU defensive tackle Anthony Johnson. He was No. 22 on McShay’s top-32 list last May. Johnson left school early to enter the draft. And Johnson wasn’t drafted.

The fact that these guys left school early without being drafted isn’t entirely the fault of McShay. But it’s hypocritical, to say the very least, for McShay to chastise those who persuaded players to leave school early in order to put in years of service toward a second NFL contract when McShay is a sizable cog in the machine that ultimately supports the argument that these players should quit playing football for free.

Maybe McShay and the rest of the self-styled draft experts should quit ranking players who’ll have remaining eligibility beyond the coming football season. Maybe the self-styled draft experts should ignore underclassmen entirely, until the underclassmen have decided that the time has come to stop playing college football without the influence of draft experts who think they know a lot more than they do.

If McShay and the other so-called draft experts are going to act indignant when players leave school early and don’t get drafted, they need to get out of the business of scouting and ranking and discussing underclassmen. Some of them perhaps need to get out of the business of scouting and ranking and discussing all players, but that’s a rant for another day.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Ozu posted:

The official announcement...

@RavensInsider
Colts agree to terms with former Florida defensive back Louchiez Purifoy

I like this signing. Low risk-very high reward, and maybe a change of scenery/presence of veteran leadership will help straighten him out.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Apparently Irsay's looking for a new drug buddy

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That article is dishonest. Based on talent alone purifoy is a 3rd rounder at worst. Marcus Robinson a 2nd. That's without character concerns

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

AAA DOLFAN posted:

That article is dishonest. Based on talent alone purifoy is a 3rd rounder at worst. Marcus Robinson a 2nd. That's without character concerns

What about the other 34 undrafted underclassmen?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This isn't really a rookie UDFA but the Chiefs signed WR Marcus Davis, one of last year's UDFAs who I guess got hurt and didn't get much of a chance in training camp.

He's big compared to everyone else KC has been signing (6'3" 233) and seems to have decent speed (4.56 40 at the combine), but apparently has trouble with the whole playing football thing.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grittybeard posted:

This isn't really a rookie UDFA but the Chiefs signed WR Marcus Davis, one of last year's UDFAs who I guess got hurt and didn't get much of a chance in training camp.

He's big compared to everyone else KC has been signing (6'3" 233) and seems to have decent speed (4.56 40 at the combine), but apparently has trouble with the whole playing football thing.

No wonder they were so willing to trade Jon Baldwin, they had a replacement waiting in the wings. Good for them.

Edit: vvvvvv Camp invites are basically just try-outs, they are a bit different. No money or contract involved. vvvvvv

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 12, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah reading his old scouting reports sounds like he just doesn't give much of a poo poo, doesn't block, doesn't run routes when he's not the target. I don't know how much of that is scout speak and maybe he's just bad at those things instead of, you know, Randy Moss on the Raiders not caring.

Also I guess it's a mini-camp invite instead of a signing if we're differentiating those things here.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Chiefs really should have drafted/signed L'Damian Washington. And someone sign Max Copeland, god drat it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i have this irrational desire to have the panthers sign Travis Van Leeuwen

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Are the players that win the Harlon Hill Trophy and Walter Payton Award (heisman equivalent for DII and FCS) usually signed by someone? I see some names I recognize like Danny Woodhead and Garoppolo obviously, but a lot of the wikipedia entries look like they never even tried out for teams. I mean it seems like a pretty low risk proposition trying out a player with potentially high upside.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think they usually get a tryout at least if they want. I remember Brian Shay being an offseason star half of KC fell in love with for no reason.

e: Haha, of course a caste football thread comes up saying he would have been great if he ever got a chance when you search for Shay.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 12, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

turbomoose posted:

Are the players that win the Harlon Hill Trophy and Walter Payton Award (heisman equivalent for DII and FCS) usually signed by someone? I see some names I recognize like Danny Woodhead and Garoppolo obviously, but a lot of the wikipedia entries look like they never even tried out for teams. I mean it seems like a pretty low risk proposition trying out a player with potentially high upside.

Joique Bell was a UDFA and is now the Lions 1B running back.
Bernard Scott was drafted in the 6th and is still kicking around.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Chargers signed a CB/KR. You might have heard of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GKmkD1pUG0

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

The Chargers signed a CB/KR. You might have heard of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GKmkD1pUG0

Another guy I wanted stolen by a rival.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ordinaire posted:

The two centers that the Saints have on their roster as of now are both from Grand Valley State.

Not entirely true, they also signed Mike Golic Jr., who is technically not a UDFA rookie, although he didn't make a roster last year. If he makes the team, he'll have pulled a Lance Moore.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Joique Bell was a UDFA and is now the Lions 1B running back.
Bernard Scott was drafted in the 6th and is still kicking around.

The Saints are amazing for your career if you're an UDFA runningback.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Blitz7x posted:

Misinformation everywhere. Florio actually wrote a :siren:non-idiotic piece about it

Yeah no that's an idiotic piece. All those guys get drafted if they don't get popped for weed/bath salts/reneging on deals with the cops during the last year. Florio's head is still lodged squarely up his own rear end.

It was so bad that I thought it was Prisco when I was reading it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

A.o.D. posted:

The Saints are amazing for your career if you're an UDFA runningback.

As long as you don't stay on the Saints

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

turbomoose posted:

Dusty Bonner won it twice as a quarterback. He got a look in training camp by the Falcons, but didn't make the roster. Looks like he's doing some broadcasts for Kentucky now; he started there as a freshman but was demoted when Jared Lorenzen came in. I've always thought Bonner deserved more of a chance than he got, but he didn't stick around whatever indoor league was in, either.

Chris Hatcher won it as a QB, too, but I doubt anyone gave him a look at all because he's a midget.

It probably hurt both that they were Air Raid passers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ricky Santos won the Walter Payton and it is a crime he was cut by the Chiefs

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

A.o.D. posted:

Not entirely true, they also signed Mike Golic Jr., who is technically not a UDFA rookie, although he didn't make a roster last year. If he makes the team, he'll have pulled a Lance Moore.

He wasn't good enough to see much of any preseason snaps with the Steelers last year so don't get your hopes up

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Kalli posted:

Patriots

Notably Justin Jones is gigantic, 6'8, 280 lbs and is a WR in TE's clothing.

You undersold this:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014/05/2014-new-england-patriots-udfa-signings-and-analysis.html

quote:

Justin Jones, TE, East Carolina – Jones is one of the biggest Tight Ends to ever enter the NFL. He stands over 6’8″ tall and is nearly 280 pounds. He sat out the 2013 season due to an eligibility issue otherwise he probably gets drafted. Jones’ key to success is obvious his size and catch radius. Not only is he 6’8″ tall, he also has a 37″ vertical leap and over a 400 lbs. bench press. His role in the NFL is likely to be that of a move Tight End, as he’s not a good blocker, in fact he played a bit of a hybrid role Wide Receiver role for the Pirates. Lots of teams had interest in his services, but the Patriots won out. Jones will have the opportunity to earn a roster spot.

Is this guy actually any good?

e: I just looked him up on YouTube. Judging from that, no.

Petey fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 13, 2014

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Considering the bar for Pats tight ends is: 'Is he made of glass?' and 'Did he murder anybody?' Not being good can be overcome.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I took him in the mock draft :shobon:

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

A.o.D. posted:

I think I wrote that before he signed, but I didn't realize he could potentially play anywhere on the line. I'll take whatever competition we can get at center at this point.

Azhais posted:

As long as you don't stay on the Saints

Pierre Thomas?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Abugadu posted:

Yeah no that's an idiotic piece. All those guys get drafted if they don't get popped for weed/bath salts/reneging on deals with the cops during the last year. Florio's head is still lodged squarely up his own rear end.

It was so bad that I thought it was Prisco when I was reading it.

Also didn't McShay prop up Jevan Snead in the same way he's apparently decrying?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Miami signed an UDFA named Orleans Darkwa. Good name.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

DangerKat posted:

Also didn't McShay prop up Jevan Snead in the same way he's apparently decrying?

Only thing I still remember about Jevan Snead is that for some vote for best QB in the SEC one person voted Snead over Tebow and the media essentially harassed him into saying he was wrong and should have voted Tebow.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ehud posted:

Miami signed an UDFA named Orleans Darkwa. Good name.

Orleans Darkwa is the greatest running back Tulane ever had on the sheer fact that his first name is Orleans

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

We got Orelans who played at Tulane, and Gator who is from Gainesville lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ehud posted:

We got Orelans who played at Tulane, and Gator who is from Gainesville lol

yeah but he played at Marshall but who's fault is that

probably UFs