Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oh man, that Gunstar Heroes: Treasure Box looks good. I still haven't delved into the whole of Treasure's catalogue yet, so that looks like a pretty good way to experience the 16-bit games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The first round of free Playstation Plus Archive games expires a week from today. That's something like 120 basically free PSone games you could be having. Just scanning down the list, some interesting titles in the batch:

Shin Megami Tensei if...
SMT Devil Children
Langrisser 1&2, 4&5
King's Field 1-3 and Shadow Tower
Gunparade March
Rayman
Armored Core, AC Master of Arena and AC Project Phantasma
Carnage Hearts
LSD: Dream Simulator (definitely the kind of game you want to get free, I can't imagine paying for it)
PoPoLoCrois
XI (Sai)
Bomberman Land

etc. etc. there are probably more in there that would be interesting to other people but those are the ones that immediately caught my eye.

Don't have Japanese Playstation Plus? Want it? Or just want some Japanese Playstation Store points? I'm offering a 3000 yen PSN card in exchange for a Platinum account upgrade and an avatar/title. That's enough for like half a year of Playstation Plus in Japan! Don't delay!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Getsuya posted:

Don't have Japanese Playstation Plus? Want it? Or just want some Japanese Playstation Store points? I'm offering a 3000 yen PSN card in exchange for a Platinum account upgrade and an avatar/title. That's enough for like half a year of Playstation Plus in Japan! Don't delay!

I'm was really tempted to take you up on this, since 3000 yen is around $30, and that forums stuff all together is $15 or so, so this is a good deal. But since I already have a Japanese PSN+ account, and a Japanese bank account so I don't need to transfer anything to Yen, it seems wrong if I took it since I don't need it.

But really, this is a good deal, so someone do it before I change my mind.

EDIT: Oh yeah, those PS1 games.

For those interested in those games, I would say the majority of them are not import friendly: There are quite a few RPGs, or other games which have tons of Japanese text. If you don't know Japanese at all, I'm not sure what you're going to get out of them. The ones listed above are some of the better ones, but most of the games in that collection are total crap (Ex. Simple 1500).

But still, PS+ is a good deal for any country, including Japan.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 10, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

I'm was really tempted to take you up on this, since 3000 yen is around $30, and that forums stuff all together is $15 or so, so this is a good deal. But since I already have a Japanese PSN+ account, and a Japanese bank account so I don't need to transfer anything to Yen, it seems wrong if I took it since I don't need it.

Actually it would cost around $20 for both of the upgrades. Normally I'd just have them kick the money to me by Paypal or something but since SA doesn't accept Paypal and I don't have a working American way to pay for things normally like a credit card, I'd need them to actually pay for the 'Buy Someone Else an Avatar' thing which is $10 instead of $5.

And yeah, a lot of non-import friendly stuff there. LSD, Xi, Bomberman and maybe the From Software games could be played just fine with no Japanese knowledge (it'd make the From Software games harder, but since they're just about blind exploration anyway I can't see it becoming that big of a deal).

VVV Ah, never mind then. Yeah you're getting 3000 yen in PSN points for half the price. I'm going out to buy my own PSN card tonight (in Japan time that means 5-6ish hours from now) so I could pick another one up easily if someone expresses interest before then.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 10, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Getsuya posted:

Actually it would cost around $20 for both of the upgrades. Normally I'd just have them kick the money to me by Paypal or something but since SA doesn't accept Paypal and I don't have a working American way to pay for things normally like a credit card, I'd need them to actually pay for the 'Buy Someone Else an Avatar' thing which is $10 instead of $5.

You can give Gift Certificates. The "Buy someone else an avatar" is for changing their avatar for someone else without them knowing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Getsuya posted:

I'm offering a 3000 yen PSN card in exchange for a Platinum account upgrade and an avatar/title. That's enough for like half a year of Playstation Plus in Japan! Don't delay!

I'll take you up on this if no one else has. PM me if you can. E-mail me at my username at gmail.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 10, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

I'll take you up on this if no one else has. PM me if you can.

quote:

exchange for a Platinum account upgrade

Can't PM without Plat :v:.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Can't PM without Plat :v:.

Well aren't I Mr. Smarty Pants today. :downs: E-mail me at my username at gmail.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

univbee posted:

Well aren't I Mr. Smarty Pants today. :downs: E-mail me at my username at gmail.

Alright, I'll pick up the card after work tonight and send you the code.

Last night I got my own card and got Playstation Plus and spent a glorious hour or two grabbing every archive game that looked even semi-decent from the list of the ones expiring soon. The only one I had the time to try out last night was LSD, and now I remember why it's not really worth paying money for. There's some interesting scenery to see, but once you realize that you've actually been to each 'land' in the dreams it's hard to find anything else to do. All you can do is hope you'll catch sight of one of the random events and it'll be interesting enough to make up for the hour or so you wasted just wandering from place to place getting your memory stolen by that douche in the black hat.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Last night I got my own card and got Playstation Plus and spent a glorious hour or two grabbing every archive game that looked even semi-decent from the list of the ones expiring soon.

I'd spend the twenty minutes to just go over the entire list and mark them all as bought. It's not that bad on a PC in the browser store even with the stupid limit of the cart only allowing 10 items at a time. I found there to be some surprising gems where I least expected them.

I believe I got my 12 month Plus account when the first 100+ PS1 games were offered. If they're expiring this month it probably means my account's about to expire too. At least I live in Japan now, so renewing will be as simple as going to a conbini and buying a card instead of the hurdle it was last year of harassing friend so I can get one without an insane premium.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

orenronen posted:

I'd spend the twenty minutes to just go over the entire list and mark them all as bought. It's not that bad on a PC in the browser store even with the stupid limit of the cart only allowing 10 items at a time. I found there to be some surprising gems where I least expected them.

I believe I got my 12 month Plus account when the first 100+ PS1 games were offered. If they're expiring this month it probably means my account's about to expire too. At least I live in Japan now, so renewing will be as simple as going to a conbini and buying a card instead of the hurdle it was last year of harassing friend so I can get one without an insane premium.

I basically did just that, though I didn't get every single one. I went down the list one by one and checked them out and said to myself 'even for free, would I ever actually play this game?' Even still, I did end up grabbing a lot of games just based on their covers. Right now I'm enjoying how random the port of Devil Children is. 'Let's use almost the same graphics as the GBC version, but make it feel more modern by cramming it with random voices and sound effects!'

univbee posted:

Done

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 11, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

And done. Thank you very much!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The local gamestore has the whole PSP Shining trilogy (Shining Hearts, Blade and Arc) for 2000 yen. Are they worth it, even for $20?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Getsuya posted:

The local gamestore has the whole PSP Shining trilogy (Shining Hearts, Blade and Arc) for 2000 yen. Are they worth it, even for $20?

do you like tony taka, there's your answer.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I keep forgetting, what's the pattern that's followed for when Japanese PS+ available titles changeovers happen?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

New titles once per month, each title can have a different duration.
http://www.jp.playstation.com/psn/plus/list/index.html

The next time we get new stuff is next wednesday.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Megalixir posted:

do you like tony taka, there's your answer.

Literally the only thing that can decide my enjoyment of an entire RPG trilogy is how much I like or dislike the artist who does the character designs? Looking his stuff up on Google, it's not exactly polarizing. Just fairly standard fantasy-esque pretty anime girl art. Is that really all this series has to offer?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Getsuya posted:

Literally the only thing that can decide my enjoyment of an entire RPG trilogy is how much I like or dislike the artist who does the character designs? Looking his stuff up on Google, it's not exactly polarizing. Just fairly standard fantasy-esque pretty anime girl art. Is that really all this series has to offer?

Pretty much! They're generic RPGs with no real redeeming values outside of his art. I played Hearts on emulator a bit - a guy washed ashore found by a girl* gets taken into town and cared for, only to discover he has amnesia, and after the settling in period the player has to eventually go around fighting enemies and doing errands to raise your trust with the townsfolk (fetch quests). Rather generic, I gave up after about 20 minutes. (*girl of your choice, of course)

But yeah like I said, Tony Taka is popular and these games sell because of it. She ain't no Shining Force if that's what you're thinking.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh HELL yes. Suikoden 1&2, the PSP version with both games, is free to play on Playstation Plus this month.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Getsuya posted:

Oh HELL yes. Suikoden 1&2, the PSP version with both games, is free to play on Playstation Plus this month.

Just so people don't get excited, this is the Japanese version.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RadicalR posted:

Just so people don't get excited, this is the Japanese version.

Sucks, doesn't it?
Hey, give them their day. The Japanese PS+ is a barren wasteland for the most part.

edit: to the degree that having a six year old PS3 game and a ten or so year old PSP game on there is cause for excitement.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 18, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

That loving Sned posted:

Oh man, that Gunstar Heroes: Treasure Box looks good. I still haven't delved into the whole of Treasure's catalogue yet, so that looks like a pretty good way to experience the 16-bit games.

There was a large number of these Sega Ages type releases in Japan, they're all awesome and ridiculously comprehensive and worth getting if you like any one game included on them. Those were like Criterion but for games that were popular on old Sega systems. The best is the Phantasy Star one that has like every version ever (even in English) along with remakes.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hey, give them their day. The Japanese PS+ is a barren wasteland for the most part.

edit: to the degree that having a six year old PS3 game and a ten or so year old PSP game on there is cause for excitement.

That reminds me: if you have a PS4, have world cup fever and don't mind getting FIFA 14 in Japanese (announcer and menus are Japanese only), it's on mega-sale for another month or so. 1361 yen for Japanese PS+ holders.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
FIFA is also a good exercise if you're ever curious as to what a terribly translated game looks like going from English to Japanese. Spaces of varying sizes in the middle of sentences, half-width katakana everywhere, huge amounts of text in menus just not translated properly and left in kana... The only worse one I've seen is Haze where they actually had the words in the item pickup prompts in the wrong order because they were so married to English word order - though I don't play many Western games in Japanese. The game definitely fully works though, and it's super cheap considering it is current. So not really a massive problem, just funny.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 18, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

There was a large number of these Sega Ages type releases in Japan, they're all awesome and ridiculously comprehensive and worth getting if you like any one game included on them. Those were like Criterion but for games that were popular on old Sega systems. The best is the Phantasy Star one that has like every version ever (even in English) along with remakes.

Hardcore Gaming 101 has a really good set of articles on them, although it's a shame most of them never made it out of Japan.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The Vita version of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is currently 800 yen on the Japanese store.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
...and it will be pulled from PSN in Japan this Wednesday. :sigh:

All of the add-on packs are also on sale at half off.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

While I'm on the subject since if you were going to do this you might want to think about doing so soon-ish, a week from Sunday in Western countries' timezones is the last day to do the PS3-to-PS4 upgrades for Japanese titles for about 1000 yen (price varies slightly per title). You buy the PS3 version digitally and then the PS4 version's price will drop automatically once it's purchased (so you'll have to do two transactions).

There are 5 titles in all, only two of which are really unique in any way to Japan other than being in Japanese:

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (CERO D-rated), which has the Japanese voices (no Kiefer Sutherland other than the mocap) but can use English or Japanese text. Game is censored (the end scene has a repositioned camera) but has an extra tape with English subtitles (the Peace and Kazuhira Blues audio drama).

Yakuza: Rebirth! (Ryu ga Gotoku: Ishin!) (CERO D-rated) which is highly unlikely to ever get an English release at this stage. There's an English walkthrough and "broad strokes" translation here: http://www.khhsubs.com/projectsrggishin.html

The other three titles are:

- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (CERO Z-rated so you'll need a credit card with a Japanese billing address: point cards won't be accepted and the CC must fund the purchases in full at the time of purchase)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (CERO D-rated)
- NBA 2K14

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Arcade classics have gone live on the Japanese PS4 PSN, Ninja Kid, Wrestling, Rygar, Bomb Jack, etc~
Haven't got the 853 yen required to pick any of them up so no idea of the emulation and control quality. We're not dealing with BackBone's 16bit to PS3 ports here.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You know what's hype? Godzilla. Here's the new teaser trailer for Godzilla on PS3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=293_s53gLUo

And hey, here's a trailer for Caladrius Blaze while I'm here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSntysX2kb4

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

Arcade classics have gone live on the Japanese PS4 PSN, Ninja Kid, Wrestling, Rygar, Bomb Jack, etc~
Haven't got the 853 yen required to pick any of them up so no idea of the emulation and control quality. We're not dealing with BackBone's 16bit to PS3 ports here.

Is there a full list somewhere?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

iastudent posted:

Is there a full list somewhere?

I think this has the best list, two a month is the goal: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/21/playstation-4-getting-virtual-japanese-arcade/

Bomb Jack, Exciting Hour (Wrestling), Rygar, Crazy Climber, Ninja Kid are the four available right now, should get the other two out early July. If they get Konami to play nice we might see Thunder Cross etc

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Policenaut posted:

You know what's hype? Godzilla. Here's the new teaser trailer for Godzilla on PS3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=293_s53gLUo

So is this gonna be one of those Godzilla fighting games or is it some sort of action game, cause they teased Godzilla 2014 at the end so it's either a separate character or Godzilla is gonna get a ton of different character skins.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Akiba's trip 2 is out for the PS4 today, 5980 yen for the in-store digital. There's a gameplay trailer on http://akbstrip.jp/ and of course it's not worksafe nor looking that visually current-gen but whatever helps people get into the idea of buying a non-handheld is welcome. The mosaic-image leads to the trailer and it's not worksafe together with the DLC pages, it's got anime bulges since even men can be stripped now in order to see if they are evil vampires or not. I wish I could throw away my cash and pick it up because of morbid curiosity in weird Japanese games that I hope to one day understand, to emerge from it like a scientist leaving a lab after living there for years all "guys, I figured it all out!" but you know what? I'm happy this weird poo poo exists.

Genre: Japan

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

MrLonghair posted:

Akiba's trip 2 is out for the PS4 today, 5980 yen for the in-store digital. There's a gameplay trailer on http://akbstrip.jp/ and of course it's not worksafe, anime bulges since even men can be stripped now in order to see if they are evil vampires or not. I wish I could throw away my cash and pick it up because of morbid curiosity in weird Japanese games that I hope to one day understand, to emerge from it like a scientist leaving a lab after living there for years all "guys, I figured it all out!"

Imagine that you are a man in your early forties. You have lived your entire life in a society where you must be exceedingly polite and yielding to everyone, and you are meek by even those standards. You are taught not to express your stronger emotions, certainly not in public, and instead that it is often better to say nothing at all. Your own privacy and personal time come at a high premium, with your career routinely taking sixty to eighty hours out of every week. For forty years your reaction to any kind of confrontation has been to smile and apologize.

The software developer where you have worked since you were 22 then promotes you to a director's position. Your manager says to you, "Make something. Make whatever you like," and waves you out of his office. You return to the desk where you've spent the last ten to twenty years of your life making D-tier JRPGs and the occasional hentai game, open the lid on the roiling cauldron of your emotions--just a crack--hoping for some inspiration, and it all comes pouring out in a crushing torrent of weepy-eyed catharsis.

And that's how games get made in Japan.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The PS3 and Vita versions of Akiba's Trip 2 are coming out in English a month from now anyway.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Sarchasm posted:

And that's how games get made in Japan.

That read like something out of the DSM V.

straight jerkers posted:

The PS3 and Vita versions of Akiba's Trip 2 are coming out in English a month from now anyway.

Oohh that scaped my mind, and Natural Doctrine comes here ten days after Destiny, hard seat with everything coming up but maybe it'll sell better than it did in Japan. It looks like a modern day Shining Force strategy game on anti-anti-depressants and abuse but I want it hard.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

MrLonghair posted:

That read like something out of the DSM V.

Whether you're referring to me or to the fictional Japanese developer I created, I thank you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still can't get around that all these months into the PS4's life, the top featured Japanese game on the system right now is Akiba's Strip 2. Based on that and on Famitsu's release calendar hard for me to think that the situation is going to change anytime soon. At least for the rest of this year, the PS4 seems to not be for Japan in any way, shape or form.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
That's a port of Akiba's Trip 2 which apparently runs at 720p30, has no cross save function and has drawn out battle sequences because they didn't balance the number of bystanders properly. It's really terrible and as it is, unless I'm looking at it wrong, the Xbox One currently has more Japanese developed exclusives announced than the PS4. Obviously that will change but it's a completely insane situation.

• Locked thread