Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Megalixir posted:

Normal price is 49,980 though.

Oh, whoops. Well, sold out now anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Policenaut posted:

Please, Amazon. Please be cool. I'm so sick of buying cards from weird rear end shady sites.

Oh, that would be amazing. There are no code cards sold by Amazon itself, right? All I could find was fairly expensive 3rd party stuff. Separately, I saw some site offering 3K card for $30 which is not too bad overall. It's a bit shady, IMO.
http://japancodesupply.com/

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I always buy psn codes from play asia and they're fine. You can see the codes on your account page as soon as you pay for them.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

straight jerkers posted:

I always buy psn codes from play asia and they're fine. You can see the codes on your account page as soon as you pay for them.

Play-Asia has a massive markup on their codes, though. Amazon selling them would mean they'd be at cost and something like 30+% cheaper than Play-Asia if memory serves.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

straight jerkers posted:

I've done this for all my PSN Japan codes as well and been thoroughly happy, though if Amazon Japan gives me a better price and the same instant delivery then so much the better.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Someone mention spending upwards of 50k yen on an import?

http://commu.jp.playstation.com/blog/details/20141220_ffzerohd.html

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Did anything ever come of that "order PSN cards off Amazon.jp, get the code instantly" thing?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...JP-SEGAKYOKUGEN
Sweet little two-page Sega sale on J-PSN. Phantasy Star 1-4 with English option for 400 yen, PS2 only PS2 classic release, Project Diva games stand out for me.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

MrLonghair posted:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...JP-SEGAKYOKUGEN
Sweet little two-page Sega sale on J-PSN. Phantasy Star 1-4 with English option for 400 yen, PS2 only PS2 classic release, Project Diva games stand out for me.

Some of the other Sega Ages games, particularly Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box, are also worth a look for superfans. GHTB has basically every version of Gunstar Heroes including a prototype one and the Game Gear version, as well as Dynamite Headdy and its Game Gear port.

Galaxy Force II might also be worth a look, although the 3DS revamp based on the PS2 one is now basically the definitive home port. I think the PS2 release has a handful of options that didn't make it into that, though, such as the bonus inclusion of the awful Mega Drive port from back in the day.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Other than the ones that are localized, anyone know any good Vita adventure games? PSP is cool too I guess. I don't really like VNs where you do nothing but press A to get to the next line of text, but I like stuff like Ace Attorney or Layton. Lately I've been playing Jinguuji Saburo: Akai Chou on DS and I guess there are some Jinguuji Saburo games on PSP. Uhhh... IDK, what else?

e: Not at all related but I'm kinda interested in train simulators too.

e2: Also, gently caress Sony's too-clever use of cookies to direct you away from the "wrong" PSN site, that's so annoying.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 31, 2014

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I think this news is of interest to some people here: Oreshika 2 will be free for JPS+ members starting tomorrow. Some other games will be too, but none as are interesting for the purpose of this thread. The used prices for the game got extremely low lately and I almost bought a copy on a whim last week -- good thing I decided not to.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Other than the ones that are localized, anyone know any good Vita adventure games? PSP is cool too I guess. I don't really like VNs where you do nothing but press A to get to the next line of text, but I like stuff like Ace Attorney or Layton. Lately I've been playing Jinguuji Saburo: Akai Chou on DS and I guess there are some Jinguuji Saburo games on PSP. Uhhh... IDK, what else?

This is late, but I really enjoyed Trick x Logic on the PSP. Despite selling in two volumes, this is one big game (which was originally sold episodically on PSN). It's a mystery game that actually requires some tough detective-genre logic to win (brute force is possible, I guess, but will take way too much time). It's quite a different format from your run of the mill visual novel, but it was written by some actual novelists so the prose itself is a few levels above the norm.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Trick x Logic sounds good. Thanks.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I have heard nothing but bad things about Oreshika 2

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Megalixir posted:

I have heard nothing but bad things about Oreshika 2

I think that it's less that it's bad, and more that it kind of stops being an Oreshika game after a while, at least if you're expecting something which works very similarly to the PS1/PSP games. If you've got Plus and some time spare, it's definitely worth a shot.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

That JP PSN sale is a good find. I'm like one of five people in the world that likes Gain Ground and the remixed music in the Sega Ages version owns bones.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

uiruki posted:

I think that it's less that it's bad, and more that it kind of stops being an Oreshika game after a while, at least if you're expecting something which works very similarly to the PS1/PSP games. If you've got Plus and some time spare, it's definitely worth a shot.
I didn't like the gamplay of Oreshika very much, but the tragicomedy ambiance was incredible. Does 2 do it as well?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't like the gamplay of Oreshika very much, but the tragicomedy ambiance was incredible. Does 2 do it as well?

To an extent - the main part of people's complaints is the story (and story character) which were added. I do think it has that flavour up until the point where that story kicks in - that's where I stopped playing for various reasons. The assistant character is a bit sillier too.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cross-post from the PS Store thread:
I'm going to attempt to track updates in the Japanese PS Store. Here is the update from last week, which was just Transistor, PS+ monthly game update, and new sales for the Western Square Enix games.

Hopefully, it won't be too big of a pain to track this stuff. I'm going to give it a month or two to see if this is doable. I'll only mention new games, PS+ stuff, sales, and whatever random free stuff is put out.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

MrLonghair posted:

Someone mention spending upwards of 50k yen on an import?

http://commu.jp.playstation.com/blog/details/20141220_ffzerohd.html

I see you, and raise you:

I actually need a PS4 for Bloodborne, so I might get one of these.

Megalixir fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 16, 2015

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psn/store/cp/150123_newsGM/

The JP PSN store has some promition starting next week where you have a 1 in 5 chance to win 2000 Yen if you subscribe to their newsletter and spent at least 1000 Yen during the promo period.
You have to visit the store via a link from the newsletter, but it sounds like you can buy anything, not just stuff in the newsletter, if I understood it correctly.

So if you're planning to buy anything, you might want to wait a week.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

As a compensation for downtime the 10% off deal on Japanese PSN is live, seems to just be a code out in the open on the below page though. Runs from the 23rd to the 25th, Japanese time. I get paid on the 27th and welp.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/support/nr_20150120_psn_sen.html

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The initial Amazon.jp customer reviews for Tales of Zesteria are pretty bad. Is this the worst Tales game in recent memory, or is it just them shuffling along and not trying to innovate?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've been reading the Tales thread and they have a bunch of second/third-hand impressions from people who really, really hate it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Policenaut posted:

I've been reading the Tales thread and they have a bunch of second/third-hand impressions from people who really, really hate it.

I refuse to believe that it's worse than Legendia or any of the Final Fantasy 13's.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Zesteria impressions from what little I've read have been liking what there was, calling it an improvement (innovating on things), but then they finished it and down came the hammer. Dangit.

Liked Graces F combat, hated Graces F story and characters, was okay with Graces F visuals. Been longing for something that feels like an evolution from the 3D Tales game formula which began with Symphonia.
Would rather take a new Star Ocean or an even prettier Atelier PS4 oh yes

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 27, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe Graces will stay my favorite Tales game forever...

edit: I also want a new Star Ocean, but Tri-Ace just got done making their own Phantasy Star game, which makes my head hurt.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 27, 2015

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
These are not very refined opinions, as far as I'm concerned anyone who makes a "review" of a game before completing the game shouldn't waste their time. I saw one review which started off with "Played for about 10 hours" -- then why review it at this stage?

The same thing happened with Xillia and Xillia 2. Graces F pissed off original Wii owners, Vesperia PS3 pissed off original 360 buyers, Xillia pissed people off because it was rushed, Xillia 2 pissed people off because it reused a lot from Xillia... etc. Like Falcom totally didn't do that for about a decade with one engine, right? You just can't win with the Tales fanbase, they always have something to complain about.

I'm only a few hours into Z but I like it so far. Although I really wish this game were reserved for PS4 (no, I don't have one yet, but I will in March) because I've kind of "moved on" from PS3 stuff.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Megalixir posted:

These are not very refined opinions, as far as I'm concerned anyone who makes a "review" of a game before completing the game shouldn't waste their time. I saw one review which started off with "Played for about 10 hours" -- then why review it at this stage?

There are very few games I've played where my gaming experience with it suddenly changed drastically after 10 hours of gameplay, save for games with randomly terrible endings or, I dunno, Brutal Legend, maybe. At 10 hours, you get the gist of nearly everything, from characters to story to mechanics.

It is not reasonable to require a full video game's total completion before they are allowed to say things about it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Megalixir posted:

:ssh: Very few actual reviewers even get 10 hours in most cases. Simcity 2013 got better review scores than it deserved initially because the broken nature of the game's underlying mechanics takes about 5+ hours to reveal themselves.

EDIT case in point, Dying Light came out today and reviewers only got their review copies of the game at noon yesterday. This was a game promising no review embargo.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 27, 2015

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Takoluka posted:

There are very few games I've played where my gaming experience with it suddenly changed drastically after 10 hours of gameplay, save for games with randomly terrible endings or, I dunno, Brutal Legend, maybe. At 10 hours, you get the gist of nearly everything, from characters to story to mechanics.

It is not reasonable to require a full video game's total completion before they are allowed to say things about it.

...it's a 50-60 hour specifically story-focused Japanese role-playing game. If someone reviews it 10 hours in it's not really much to go by.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Megalixir posted:

...it's a 50-60 hour specifically story-focused Japanese role-playing game. If someone reviews it 10 hours in it's not really much to go by.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but if I don't like a game I'm giving up way before 10 hours. If I saw a review saying "the first ten hours are a slog but from there it's great" I wouldn't buy it.

There's no shortage of games I could play that do not require more than a work day's worth of lead-in before they become interesting.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Megalixir posted:

What you're asking for is pretty much impossible with games and games journalism being what it is currently, not to mention that "am I having fun" is a question you should be able to answer long before hour 10 rolls around. I'm not disagreeing with you, mind you, reviewers should be able to spend the proper time on a game review and get paid properly for it, but that's sadly never going to happen.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Megalixir posted:

That's like saying you'll get through the Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring books before you decide that maybe you'll give that Two Towers book a try.

Just like what was said above, if I'm 10 hours into a game and it's both 1) not giving me a good idea of what to expect in terms of story and 2) still introducing new game-defining mechanics, then maybe it's not a very good or well-told game.

I was literally an hour into FFIX when I decided "Oh yeah, this is going to be great." I didn't have to beat it to tell my friends "Oh yeah, it's got some great stuff going for it. Here's a list:"

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

univbee posted:

What you're asking for is pretty much impossible with games and games journalism being what it is currently, not to mention that "am I having fun" is a question you should be able to answer long before hour 10 rolls around. I'm not disagreeing with you, mind you, reviewers should be able to spend the proper time on a game review and get paid properly for it, but that's sadly never going to happen.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not talking about "paid reviews" or "games journalism". I'm talking about 1-star Zestirtia reviews on Amazon.jp which everyone is blowing out of proportion. I'm not interested in reading some guy's 10 hour experience before he got bored and quit. That's just one guy and his small experience of the game. It doesn't matter if he compared the entire game to Xillia. I'm not interested in whether he's going to resell the game to Book-Off tomorrow, it doesn't matter. These aren't reviews, they aren't telling you about the actual game, they're more like small opinion pieces by people who don't know how to review things properly. Here's a better idea: watch someone stream the game, there's plenty of people streaming it right now. Decide for yourself instead of letting the noise get to you.

Like I said, I'm enjoying Zestiria so far and I don't understand what the big deal is. But like I said, this happens with almost every Tales release. It happens every time.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Megalixir posted:

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not talking about "paid reviews" or "games journalism". I'm talking about 1-star Zestirtia reviews on Amazon.jp which everyone is blowing out of proportion. I'm not interested in reading some guy's 10 hour experience before he got bored and quit. That's just one guy and his small experience of the game. It doesn't matter if he compared the entire game to Xillia. I'm not interested in whether he's going to resell the game to Book-Off tomorrow, it doesn't matter. These aren't reviews, they aren't telling you about the actual game, they're more like small opinion pieces by people who don't know how to review things properly. Here's a better idea: watch someone stream the game, there's plenty of people streaming it right now. Decide for yourself instead of letting the noise get to you.

Like I said, I'm enjoying Zestiria so far and I don't understand what the big deal is. But like I said, this happens with almost every Tales release. It happens every time.

lovely community reviews are kind of a fact of life. I still think 10 hours is plenty of time to form an opinion about a game, though.

If it makes you feel better I love Sonic games and often get annoyed at reviews slamming them. Hey, you know what you like better than a reviewer, ultimately.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 27, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

If this had an online co-op Monster Hunter clone mode I bet they would be happier.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

MrLonghair posted:

If this had an online co-op Monster Hunter clone mode I bet they would be happier.

Go take a look at Amazon reviews of the latest monster hunter game

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nonsense, if America will happily accept Call of Duty in everything then the Japanese will take their Call of Duty-equivalent in every game. It has to work! It just has to!!!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

tower of druaga posted:

Go take a look at Amazon reviews of the latest monster hunter game

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%AB%E.../dp/B00LSLNYBW/ :psyduck: kusowarota

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

What exactly am I looking at here? That is a lot of 1 stars.

GTranslate says things like "and is no longer entertainment products."

• Locked thread