Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Stelas posted:

> Playstation Import Megathread 2

"Welcome to the third revision..."

I'm so confused and lost.

Well you see the second one didn't actually get posted in the US but the threads got popular from people importing so they posted the third one here but the publisher didn't want to confuse people so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Oh man, that Gunstar Heroes: Treasure Box looks good. I still haven't delved into the whole of Treasure's catalogue yet, so that looks like a pretty good way to experience the 16-bit games.

There was a large number of these Sega Ages type releases in Japan, they're all awesome and ridiculously comprehensive and worth getting if you like any one game included on them. Those were like Criterion but for games that were popular on old Sega systems. The best is the Phantasy Star one that has like every version ever (even in English) along with remakes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

KOF: Maximum Impact Maniax is pretty mediocre honestly, I'm surprised they're even putting it up. If they put up Maximum Impact 2 though get that ASAP as it's goofy and fun as hell and has an absurd amount of extra characters, costumes, game modes, etc. that unlocked basically any time you do anything in the game. It's awesome. Maniax isn't worth it though you'd be better off getting your favorite KoF game off the Neo Geo Station selection. KoFMI2 came out in the US on the PS2 (under the name The King of Fighters 2006) though so no real point importing if you have that or a backwards compatible PS3.

Neo Geo Battle Colosseum is really good, it actually has quite a few original sprites in it. This game is sort of like an SVC Chaos 2, but with only SNK characters. The cool thing is they have a lot of the cool but long unused ones like Shiki from later Samurai Shodown installments, Lee Pai Long from Art of Fighting 1, and most importantly KING LION from Savage Reign/Kizuna Encounter. There's even a few World Heroes characters. Returning sprites have been recolored subtly or in some cases completely redrawn from scratch so nothing clashes. It has weirdly long load times though, and if you have a PS2 the US version of the game is pretty cheap and the loading is slightly improved. All in all a pretty cool game since it has some characters you'll never see anywhere else and is a fun homage to SNK's fighting game history.

Twinkle Star Sprites: Lat Petite Princess is NOT a port of the Neo Geo classic, but a sort of sequel with 3D graphics. The new graphics and art are fully bright pastels and cheery looking, but not as impressive or crisp as the Neo Geo game and its Saturn/Dreamcast port. Unfortunately the original was not released on the Neo Geo Station so this is the only option for gamers without a Neo Geo/Dreamcast/Saturn. This PS2 game is a bit slower than the original. The original is amazing, the presentation is like Bangai-O, Cotton or in that it's barely coherent and unbearably saccharine. It's sort of a puzzle game one on one shmup dueling game. You and your play through the same shmup levels via split screen. Play more efficiently and shoot enemies with the right combos to send more of them to your opponents side and eventually have bosses show up to fight them. It's very addictive and awesome. The PS2 game isn't bad, but it's just not as nice looking. Think about it.

Legaia: Duel Saga, I know some people like it but I thought it was crap myself. Even for an old PS2 game it's pretty bland looking, and the combat doesn't really get interesting. It's sort of like Shadow Hearts in the way that your attacks can add up to some massive combos, but there's very little variety in everyone's abilities. The story and characters are pretty goofy which is a plus. This one, like Neo Geo Battle Colosseum came out in the US and is pretty cheap. So if you have a PS2 or backwards compatible PS3 just get that. Just be warned I only played it when it was new and wasn't too impressed compared to other PS2 RPGs.

• Locked thread