Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Good thread. Love me some vidya game soundtracks.

This is really beautiful, I need to grab this. Good stuff to fall asleep to.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Transistor also continues the trend of Supergiant games having a great soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFrjMq4aL-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41tIUr_ex3g
Oh man, this is good. Loving the vocalist's voice. I need to get this too, and probably the game as well.

Speaking of Austin Wintory and great femaale vocalists, he also composed the music for The Banner Saga, a helluva beautiful game. He had the Youtube celebrity musician Malukah to do vocals on one track, and the result is just bloody breathtaking.

I'm a pretty unabashed Malukah fanboy really, her voice just does things to me. My favourite is her collaboration with Taylor Davis and the pianist Lara to cover this song from Guild Wars 2.
She's most famous for her Skyrim covers, so she was actually commissioned to do bard songs for Elder Scrolls Online, which are also really good.

And speaking of Elder Scrolls, I'm also a great fan of Jeremy Soule's work with the game series. I know his work overall can sound a bit samey, but his TES soundtracks really stand out. I adore the TES main theme and how it's been used in different permutations in the last three games. The Morrowind main title is still the best of those though, it just has this amazing sense of wonder about it. And not only the main titles are good, there's a great deal of good stuff on all three games' soundtracks.
That said, Soule also did a bang-up job with Supreme Commander.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm going to assume Nobuo Uematsu hasn't been mentioned yet because everyone posting is intimately familiar with his work, yes?
I was wondering that too. :v:

I don't even like JRPGs (or most typically Japanese games overall, but that's off-topic), but Final Fantasy VI is the precious exception and Nobuo Uematsu's music is a big part of that. The man just has an uncanny talent for creating simple yet emotional and memorable themes, and the FFVI soundtrack has oodles of them.

Incidentally, are you familiar with the huge OC Remix project Balance and Ruin? It's every single track from the original FFVI OST made into different remix versions. The music styles vary from dark electro to prog rock opera to loving flamenco. It's just a treasure trove of music and a blast to listen through. You can grab the whole thing for free right here.

But to go back to Uematsu, as fond as I am of the FFVI soundtrack, my single favourite piece of his is the Lost Odyssey main theme. I never played the game, but I happened across that track a couple years ago and just lost my poo poo. It's like the guy suddenly started channeling Ennio morricone and Basil Poledouris in addition to his own talent. loving sublime.

And I'll close this post with some assorted other favourite pieces of mine.
  • Baldur's Gate 2 main theme. Man, the nostalgia. This one always gets me pumped. It sounds so adventurous! Also, here's a cool medley because drat there's so much cool music in this game.
  • Bulletstorm. This game was surprisingly good in several ways. The main theme was one of them.
  • Mass Effect. I fell in love with the main theme the instant I heard it. And the rest of the soundtracks are great too. The galaxy map music is one of the most iconic pieces of video game music ever to me.
  • Borderlands - Welcome to Fyrestone. Borderlands is one of my all-time favourite game series, and this is the first track you hear in BL1 after the main menu. It just fits the environment so perfectly and made a great impression on me when I first started the game. Overall the soundtracks to both these games + the DLCs is amazingly varied and good, but that track has stayed with me the most just for that initial impact it had by introducing me to the first game.
  • Legend of Grimrock. The main menu theme is the only piece of music in the game, but boy howdy is it a good one.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The Legend of Grimrock II main theme is some grade A adventure fantasy bombast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rNbcEPdJEg

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm actually gonna make a request for music here.

My girlfriend loves Dragon Age and wants me to play Inquisition. But, to do that, I think it' sa smart idea to play the first two DA games.

I've heard a lot about Dragon Age (and Mass Effect) of course but I can't recall ever reading a post about the music in the games. Is it any good?
Dragon Age's soundtrack is overall quite generic and unoffensive, it's there to lay the mood but that's pretty much it. The only actually memorable bit is the main menu theme in DA:O which I think is quite good, though sadly the best part only starts like two thirds into the track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWFEVbfCcOY

Also while DA2 has its own issues surely, I still enjoyed it and never understood the unbridled hate it gets. That's a can of worms not really good for this topic, though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Schizotek posted:

Somebody earlier brought up Jeremy Soule but failed to mention his magnum opus: Total Annihilation
Eh, it's been so many years since I last touched TA, didn't remember the music at all anymore. :shrug: It's great stuff though, no doubt.

Speaking of old-rear end classic PC games though, I just went on a Heroes of Might and Magic III binge of all things, and rediscovered the absolutely beautiful themes for the different town types. I mean the battle themes and generic map music are good enough, but the town themes are just the best. Dramatic and evocative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSoPiffmSYU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hahaha, oh man, I was staring at that title screen thinking "Why the hell does that look so familiar eventhough I never played the game".... then it suddenly hit me:

:allears:

Anyways, the original Gianna Sisters theme will always be Hülsbeck's greatest work to me. Though I can't deny that Machinae Supremacy's fantastic cover of it has its part to play in that.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The soundtrack for Pillars of Eternity is very, very good. some hauntingly pretty string and wind arrangements there, and a lot of the tracks have this certain kind of sound, like they're from some old movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmAiP__OB9k

(The game itself is also ridiculously good.)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

While listening to Pandora radio today, I stumbled upon Taylor Davis, an extremely talented violinist that does all sorts of movie, anime and game music. Here's a youtube playlist of one of her albums. Every time I hear one of her songs, the word 'flawless' comes to mind. I'm not familiar with her entire selection but there's a lot of stuff out there and I promise you will like some of it.
Yeah, she's really good. I personally just wish she'd play more music from games I like, but far as I can tell she mostly does JRPG and similar stuff I don't care about at all. I mean, obviously it can still be good music and her playing is beautiful anyways, I'd just like the added emotional involvement of a familiar setting, if that makes any sense. For instance, that Morrowind/Skyrim medley she does as a duet with the other girl gives me the chills.

Having said that, I admit my #1 favourite track she's involved in is from Guild Wars 2 which I've never played either. It's her on the violin, Lara on the piano and Malukah doing vocals, and it's just breathtakingly beautiful. Though that's probably just because I'm a gibbering Malukah fanboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQKspH34BkM

EDIT: Seriously though, even without Malukah, Taylor and Lara's collaborations are just pure gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVLWyt66Yj4

Nordick fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 15, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
PSA: The Stellaris soundtrack is loving beautiful, and you should all listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9imok679pQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

A human heart posted:

it's generic 'dramatic' bullcrap actually, and there's absolutely no reason to listen to it on its own.

Counterpoint: You are wrong, as it's actually very good dramatic bullcrap and I listen to it on its own often enough.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 30, 2016

• Locked thread