Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
This thread is fantastic and the mention of SID music already has me giddy. I'll page ACID_POICE and see if we can get a nice history or technical writeup on some of the wonderful hardware/software used in the 80s and early 90s to produce and play back chip based music.

In the meantime I'll post a short list of some of the more prolific ZX Spectrum/C64/Amiga musicians:

Allister Brimble
Ben Daglish
Chris Hüelsbeck
David Whittaker
Martin Galway
Richard Joseph
Rob Hubbard
Tim + Geoff Follin

I'd like to see some more information about American musicians from the 1985-1995 era because the vast majority I'm familiar with are from Europe or Japan. In the case of the ZX/Amiga/Speccy it makes complete sense but I'm curious who game companies hired for stateside Sega/Nintendo/Panasonic/Atari titles. Howard Drossin came a bit later on the tail end of the pre-CD era (Sega Genesis, Comix Zone) but is one example.

This space will most likely be used for some write-ups about X68000, PC-88/98, shmup, and other more obscure chip music.

For now have one of Jesper Kyd's less known works for the Sega Genesis: Adventures of Batman and Robin. The sounds some musicians managed to pull off using these chips are truly amazing.

Earwicker posted:

I like some video game music but something about the Chrono Trigger type stuff really rubs me the wrong way, it has a very "plasticy" sound and doesn't sound like it could stand on its own outside of a game.

In some ways I feel the real test of a video game track to be truly amazing is that it can stand on its own. A lot of Tim Follin's works seem to fit that bill quite well. I'm not quite sure he really cared about how well any of his tracks fit in the game, instead choosing to crank out chip prog rock.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread