Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fat Turkey posted:

Is there a good Spotify playlist, or maybe a good internet radio station for videogame music? Some of the tracks here I like but I'd like to listen to at work
Here's some Shoutcast radio stations I've found over the years:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Seibu Kaihatsu's mid-90's arcade system, the SPI, did something similar. The games came on cartridge-like daughterboards, and installing them required the motherboard to pull the new data to flash some ROMs or something (I dunno what exactly, did a brief google and didn't find anything). There's a 999 countdown and it takes close to 6 minutes. I think that's a lot longer than the bubble system. MAME actually emulates this, and will show up every time unless you have some NVRAM files that the game creates and uses. That said, it's wise to keep a MAME backup somewhere that already has those files and just copy them over to new versions (or just download a set from somewhere). Anyway, a little song plays during the countdown; I think it's based off an actual track in each game, but it's hard to tell.
A lot of later-era arcade systems did this. Capcom CPS3 typically took 15 minutes or so of boot-up to copy the game from a CD to RAM to reduce load times and minimise wear and tear on the CD drive, while Sega's NAOMI does something similar but with Dreamcast GD-ROMs. They didn't have fancy music, though, so they're largely forgotten.

Some London company is releasing videogame music on, uh, vinyl. I guess that's cool, if digital reproductions of digital sound chips sound cold and soulless to you, or if you just want to mash your :retrogames: hobbies together.

They put some remastered Shenmue tracks up on Soundcloud for preview.

• Locked thread