Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

From Needs-Oar-Point airfield, 1º Grupo de Caça, Força Aérea Brasileira. This squadron in reality fought in the Italian Front, but we shall retcon history. This will be our tie-in with the Long Afternoon War, with the Brazilian F-5 heroes tracing their heritage to this unit, and it's same logo, "Senta a Pua!"

I see it in the screenshot but just to confirm: is this squadron flying P-47s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

plester1 posted:

I see it in the screenshot but just to confirm: is this squadron flying P-47s?

It is! They fly the F-5 in the other, more modern goon campaign. My bad!

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
I've been using an old x52 to play for the past couple weeks as I got my wings steady. Have a Winwing Orion 2 on the way now and went looking for configuration profiles for it. They don't seem to be as readily available on the DCS sites user files as the x52 profiles for various modules. Am I in for a new configuration based mini-game for each of my planes when the Orion gets here or is there some 3rd party site that hosts stuff like this, similar to Nexus for other games?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dr. Poz posted:

I've been using an old x52 to play for the past couple weeks as I got my wings steady. Have a Winwing Orion 2 on the way now and went looking for configuration profiles for it. They don't seem to be as readily available on the DCS sites user files as the x52 profiles for various modules. Am I in for a new configuration based mini-game for each of my planes when the Orion gets here or is there some 3rd party site that hosts stuff like this, similar to Nexus for other games?

The simple explanation is that the X52 is a very common and very old joystick — it has had a lot of time for a lot of users to decide that they want to publish their binds to the world.

The Orion 2 is the exact opposite of that: it's new and uncommon. On top of that, like most Winwing stuff, it's more focused on specific aircraft rather than the generic X52 stick, meaning it's even less likely that any specific aircraft will have had someone make binds for exactly your chosen setup.

And finally, there's the programmability factor, where you can't be entirely sure that your stick/throttle will be the same as someone else's stick/throttle even if they're the same model, simply because the other guy may have decided that they wanted to reprogram how some specific switch or button or axis works. This further narrows the target audience and makes it (admittedly very slightly) less likely and less worth-while for someone to make the effort to create and share a profile for other users. It just risks creating a bunch of backlash and support requests, which is a hassle no-one wants to deal with.

So yes, odds are that you're going to have to do most of the setup yourself, but then again, chances are that you probably want to do that anyway with any kind of advanced HOTAS, simply because of how it can reflect your preferences to a much higher degree than you're used to.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 4, 2023

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Winwing software has some sort of library where you can browse and load profiles. I haven't used it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Why do you reckon the Viggen might launch every mission with the Master Caution beeping? I keep looking but don't see any obvious toggle switches or axes out of whack.

Also, the Viggen rules a lot

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Chubby Henparty posted:

Why do you reckon the Viggen might launch every mission with the Master Caution beeping? I keep looking but don't see any obvious toggle switches or axes out of whack.

Could just be a case of the plane itself not being launched in a fully flying state, irrespective of the control settings, so it sets off something like an RPM warning because it takes a while for the engine to actually spool up to what it's set at.

Other modules have had similar problems before, so that's just an immediate (otherwise unfounded) suspicion.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

The Master Caution should only start beeping when you first apply power to the aircraft on a cold start up. It should not be active once the jet is up and running properly, so there's something odd going on.
Does it beep when you start with the jet hot or while you are taking off?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

[deep Intel on fleet wide viggen stand-down] The review board consulted the manual and determined the pilot had ignored the warning light clearly advising the baro/radar alt switch was on, and attached to a toggle.

Strange that it trips the caution whenever used ie every kind of mission load. Maybe it significantly affects the INS, fries ground crew etc. Anyway thanks all

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I ran dcs last night on my new rig… First time trying dcs in vr since the quest 2 on a 2080. Did a carrier landing first try, that was very nice. So it’s a quest 3 with a 4090 now

Couple of comments tho
- resolution/clarity much better but still hard to see some text or even the hud in daylight. I need to order prescription inserts for it though and that could be part of it
-somewhat glitchy at times when I push the settings and turn head. A bit more so than msfs. None of this happens in vtol vr
-the pass through in the quest isn’t designed well enough to help me see the keyboard when I need to while flying. If you switch into pass through you can’t see the game. The game needs a pass through toggle specifically designed for it and then I think it could work pretty well
-the wireless link seems to work very well. I don’t notice a difference in quality wired or wireless.

The pancake lenses are a definite improvement

I could see using this a lot more now

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

For pass through, If this ever works in the pico I'll be happy, I think it works on the the Q3 https://store.steampowered.com/app/1844610/Reality_Mixer__Mixed_Reality_for_VR_headsets/

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dr. Poz posted:

Aw, I liked the process of setting all the binds. I got a lot of satisfaction out of "oh what shall I bind to TMS, CMS and DMS? Oh, I'm not sure, maybe... my actual TMS, CMS and DMS switches!"

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

I ran dcs last night on my new rig… First time trying dcs in vr since the quest 2 on a 2080. Did a carrier landing first try, that was very nice. So it’s a quest 3 with a 4090 now

Couple of comments tho
- resolution/clarity much better but still hard to see some text or even the hud in daylight. I need to order prescription inserts for it though and that could be part of it
-somewhat glitchy at times when I push the settings and turn head. A bit more so than msfs. None of this happens in vtol vr
-the pass through in the quest isn’t designed well enough to help me see the keyboard when I need to while flying. If you switch into pass through you can’t see the game. The game needs a pass through toggle specifically designed for it and then I think it could work pretty well
-the wireless link seems to work very well. I don’t notice a difference in quality wired or wireless.

The pancake lenses are a definite improvement

I could see using this a lot more now

Do you have DLSS upscaling or TAA/TXAA activated ? That can cause the HUD to be a little smeary. DLSS is probably worth using for the performance bump but make sure it's set to Quality and max Sharpness.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I bought a second Logitech quadrant because I didn't have enough axes for WW2 radiators, prop RPM/pitch, etc ... but I mean ... I could get one or two more and have full levers for a 4-engined C-130 or something...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

For pass through, If this ever works in the pico I'll be happy, I think it works on the the Q3 https://store.steampowered.com/app/1844610/Reality_Mixer__Mixed_Reality_for_VR_headsets/

gotta be honest i hadn't heard of the pico until like 2 days ago and i only just looked it up...was this the headset to get over quest 3? otherwise that app looks like a step on the right direction. It's a shame the hand tracking on the quest 3 is pretty bad (as in tracking bare hands, no touch controllers)... we're getting so very close to being able to flick switches with hands though at a pretty good granularity

Mederlock posted:

Do you have DLSS upscaling or TAA/TXAA activated ? That can cause the HUD to be a little smeary. DLSS is probably worth using for the performance bump but make sure it's set to Quality and max Sharpness.

DCS has DLSS?

I don't remember what I set it to, only that by the end I had clicked 'VR' preset graphics to see if those low settings helped. but I'll check relatively soon and see if i can improve it

ethanol fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 19, 2023

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ethanol posted:

DCS has DLSS?

I don't remember what I set it to, only that by the end I had clicked 'VR' preset graphics to see if those low settings helped. but I'll check relatively soon and see if i can improve it

Yes. You need to run the multi-thread client (which I think is the default now, but if it doesn't show up, that may be why) and have reasonably up-to-date drivers. There's been some debate about its effectiveness, but I think that's more a matter of whether people see a little improvement or a huge improvement, where some were expecting the latter but didn't quite get it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

ethanol posted:

gotta be honest i hadn't heard of the pico until like 2 days ago and i only just looked it up...was this the headset to get over quest 3?

The pico 4 is in the same ballpark as the quest 2, it does well in dcs wired or WiFi, and has colour pass through. The last time I checked it didn't let apps like the one linked access it, but here's hoping, and the dev is building in external cameras as well.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Finally, first ever in-mission carrier trap, hell yeah

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Chubby Henparty posted:

Finally, first ever in-mission carrier trap, hell yeah

:radcat:

At some point carrier landings will feel completely natural, and you wont even understand how field landings can give anyone trouble.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Tippis posted:

Yes. You need to run the multi-thread client (which I think is the default now, but if it doesn't show up, that may be why) and have reasonably up-to-date drivers. There's been some debate about its effectiveness, but I think that's more a matter of whether people see a little improvement or a huge improvement, where some were expecting the latter but didn't quite get it.

this turned out to be the trick. didn't affect clarity of text much yet (only tried DLSS on so far with DLAA), but the multhitread instance was defaulted off and that seemed to improve general performance a lot turning it on

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DCS mission editor questions:

is it possible to have AI give each other ground target detection or via comms or at least reliably spot ground units? If I put a AI controlled A10C (no targeting pod, no radar) too high altitude on CAS it fails to detect enemy units even if there are are other friendly units close enough to be shot at. seemingly theres no way to to make it spot targets without it getting its own visual. or putting into pintpoint strike the waypoint / specific ground unit mode instead of CAS

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ethanol posted:

DCS mission editor questions:

is it possible to have AI give each other ground target detection or via comms or at least reliably spot ground units? If I put a AI controlled A10C (no targeting pod, no radar) too high altitude on CAS it fails to detect enemy units even if there are are other friendly units close enough to be shot at. seemingly theres no way to to make it spot targets without it getting its own visual. or putting into pintpoint strike the waypoint / specific ground unit mode instead of CAS

Not as such, no. The AI doesn't use other units that way (except in the special case of ground-radar and AWACs making it aware of other planes in the area). But for ground attack, no, not really. You can largely emulate the behaviour though through judicious use of the “search and engage” and “search and engage in zone” waypoint actions. Just in general, you want to rely on those actions rather than the generic “CAS” or “CAP” options that get assigned to flights. The former let you decide fairly precisely what to attack, when, and how, whereas the others will make the AI so fantastically stupid and incompetent in its target detection and selection that it wouldn't even be able to land a job as a Hollywood action movie writer.

Put another way: any time the mission editor adds automatic CAP, CAS, Intercept, or Ground Attack actions to a newly created flight, immediately remove those actions. They will break the mission if left alone.

Most of the detection and data linking that can happen in the game is entirely for the benefit of human players. For AI, it's very careful waypoint control (or complex scripting) that makes things happen the way you want.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Winwing software has some sort of library where you can browse and load profiles. I haven't used it.

This was right. SimAppPro had a lot of configurations ready to go. I was also able to use joystick-diagrams to whip up picture references I could keep up on a second display while familiarizing myself with it. Now I have some Monster Tech mounts on the way and I'm deciding between VKB T-Rudders and MFG Crosswind. Leaning towards the Crosswind but I like the profile of the T-Rudders.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I have the crosswinds and they are really nice. Toe brakes is great to have if you fly older planes and need that differential steering.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/WINWING_SIM/status/1742752777338823115

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhLQNuxRqJQ

Iraq map and full fidelity Fulcrum-A teased at the end.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This does sound like there's a chance this will electrocute me.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dr. Poz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhLQNuxRqJQ

Iraq map and full fidelity Fulcrum-A teased at the end.

It really should be on the Persian gulf map already FFS.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do not care about Iraq map :nallears:

Do care about MiG-29 :allears:

e: why does the narrator talk like that

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 5, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Corsair 1's and 2's, what a world

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

a mad world, you could say

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Without any WWII opfor, what exactly are those neato corsairs and hellcata going to be used for?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Chuck_D posted:

Without any WWII opfor, what exactly are those neato corsairs and hellcata going to be used for?

carrier bf109s. what's the matter? scared?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Chuck_D posted:

MiG-15s in a fake-Korea scenario. :haw:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

e: why does the narrator talk like that

That's how Nick Grey sounds like. When you watch recordings of him in interviews or even at airshows, that's just the way he talks. It's kind of odd.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
They shpuld play him at 2x for all our sakes. And choose different music ffs.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Don't know why they went with that song over this one. Maybe in the next video? It lines up so well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar9BaNN5J4E

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Tippis posted:

MiG-15s in a fake-Korea scenario. :haw:

Getting a whole rear end map and 2 planes for one era just to have to play pretend that's it's actually for a different era and place seems like peak DCS

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

whats the aircraft limit on mission editor? let me send 3000 of these corsairs at an arleigh burke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ethanol posted:

whats the aircraft limit on mission editor? let me send 3000 of these corsairs at an arleigh burke

calm down grim reapers